The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 211 to 240 of 301
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Ruins of Toronto
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Another Bloody Isekai IC: Team Raid Bosses

    Malog roars, as the green washes through him, as black fortifies him and red seeps out and rages, as he would chop and hack, as he would bellow and roar. Da WAAAAAGH must go on, and he would cut a blood swath through this thing, as he would be hacking up some meat!

    Spoiler: Chopping da eye-git
    Show

    First Chop; (1d20+13)[31]
    Damage; (1d10+7)[14] plus (3d6)[15] Acid plus (1d6+3)[6] Negative

    Second Chop; (1d20+8)[23]
    Damage; (1d10+7)[11] plus (3d6)[12] Acid plus (1d6+3)[7] Negative

    Plus Toxin (Fort DC 26), (1d6)[6] Wisdom damage
    Summer Job has started, and eats a lot of time, particularly on weekends. Replies my be delayed.

  2. - Top - End - #212
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    London
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Another Bloody Isekai IC: Team Raid Bosses

    Tsu-Tse lands on the pillar, and smoothly pivots. He lets loose a steady stream of rocks, bottles, but his attention is distracted by the skull... It has a drink inside.

    This is no time for experimentation, with two team-mates swallowed and their erstwhile goblin allies being snuffled up like a box of chocolates left with an overactive pet.

    But it has a drink inside.

    As he slings another bottle, gunshot straight, at the eldritch mass of mouths and tongues, it's the work of a moment to sway slightly to one side, and scoop up the neglected skull cup.

    It does indeed, have a drink inside.

    Nowhere in the lexicon of tactics and strategy, is it advised to eat or drink random items of unknown provenance. There are no treaties praising the art of drinking serendipidous liquids, no monographs on the benefits of discovered cake. That it is here at all, lying there, untouched, the suspiciousness of its presence radiating around it in a near-visible aura of 'bad idea'.

    But combat is quick and viscous, and in the demanding kata that Tsu-Tse practices there is no time for second thoughts. One must be, or not be. Do, or not do. And in the highly specialist nature of his particular martial art, drink, or not drink.

    He needs a hand free. He drinks the liquid down.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    5ft step to E16
    Full ranged attack. -3 to hit due to negative levels

    (1d20+16)[25] for (d6)[5] plus (d8+14)[21]
    (1d20+16)[24] for (d6)[3] plus (d8+14)[19]
    (1d20+11)[19] for (d6)[3] plus (d8+14)[20]
    (1d20+16)[27] for (d6)[3] plus (d8+14)[19]

    At a convenient point in the attack, grab the skull cup as a free action, and drink it as a swift action.

  3. - Top - End - #213
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    FearlessGnome's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Forests of Sweden
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Another Bloody Isekai IC: Team Raid Bosses

    Tsu-Tze drinks deep from the skull, and discovers that the liquid within is strong liquor, and pretty good liquor at that. It also makes him feel angry. He unleashes his attacks upon the ooze, and there is no doubt but that in his rage he is stronger than usual.

    ...It also appears the skull mug has been refilled. The strong scent of liquor is still there, but it's somehow different at the same time.

    The vampire lord and those goblins who did not flee also continue to attack the thing, until in unison Marambe and Malog, with an enormous feat of raw, brutal power slam and punch and tear the creature apart from within. It may have been more immediately dangerous than the Kraken, but it also lacked the survivability of that magical beast. Combat has ended - the eyes and mouths stop forming and disappearing, the tongues no longer search for goblins to pull into countless maws to be consumed.

    The battle has been won.

    The surviving goblins look in awe at the dead ooze, and at Marambe and Malog who tore free of the abomination when it died.
    Throw the dice high.

  4. - Top - End - #214
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Ruins of Toronto
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Another Bloody Isekai IC: Team Raid Bosses

    As he tore his way free, bellowing and brutal with raw strength, he would look over the goblins, as he would reach down, and tear out a fang, before he would gesture to them, holding it out to them. "Each a ya, grab a fang! Sharpen it and grab some of da gits guts! Take it wit ya, cuse ya lot a FANGRIPPAS!"

    There would be something of pride in his posture and bearing, as he looked them over, as he would stand tall atop the corpse of the fallen ooze. And yet, as he grinned, he was plotting and wondering... how ta make these gits a little tougher for the fights ahead....
    Summer Job has started, and eats a lot of time, particularly on weekends. Replies my be delayed.

  5. - Top - End - #215
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Anomander's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Another Bloody Isekai IC: Team Raid Bosses

    Serafino leans over to Malog.

    "At least while in the dungeon, these guys are regenerated. That's nice, but limited to the dungeon. If these guys were out of the dungeon, you and Marambe might have a potent squad of soldiers here, even if they don't regenerate outside. Just a thought. I will back you up whatever you decide."

    He was actually quite uncertain of the existing powers' reaction to the idea of bringing beings out of the dungeon. Hell, he wasn't even sure if the Dungeon would allow the goblins to leave and operate without its oversight.

    But they were all questions he wanted answered.

    "Alright maggots, he growls at the goblins in goblinese. "You heard 'da boss! Yi'nz need to find yourselves the biggest teeth this ugly sack of shyte has. Yi'nz need trophies of ya great victory! Even better ya needs weapons made o' your trophies! Git to searchin'!

    Serafino orders his unseen servant to start cleaning his clothes while Serafino used his TK to search the mass of organs for any valuables the thing hadn't consumed.

    Then he went over to the remnants of the hydra and started looking for valuables there too.

    Heck, maybe the scales weren't as tough as real dragon scales, but they would make some very impressive sets of decorations if nothing else.

    Maybe some red rewards Malog could hand out for exceptional 'Waaaaaaghness' by some goblin at some point.

    (Take 20 Perception for loot)

  6. - Top - End - #216
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    GMT+1

    Default Re: Another Bloody Isekai IC: Team Raid Bosses

    Marambe smiles at the goblins, for he genuinely felt they had fought bravely. But then puts a finger on his temple as he turns to Serafino, suggesting they talk telepathically.

    ["When I was that Waagh, I could feel how the dungeon talks to these creatures. Unless they have exceptionally strong minds, they will turn on us as we endanger the dungeon more. I am not suggesting we should not take them. But if we are going to the dungeon's core, we will probably have to kill them at some point."]

    Then, using his normal voice "After you are done searching, perhaps we could rest for a moment. The Goboz might wish to reflect on this battle. As should we."

  7. - Top - End - #217
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Anomander's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Another Bloody Isekai IC: Team Raid Bosses

    Serafino nods at Marambe's telepathic suggestion.

    "I have my doubts about their ability to follow orders from anyone other than the dungeon, but it's something I want to test. Right now this world get resources like magical equipment from the dungeons, but the dungeons can apparently generate an unlimited number of creatures, and they will eventually overwhelm the world. If it is possible to start getting some of the creatures to stop serving the dungeon, that could be a very powerful tool. I figure it's worth a shot."

    He watches the goblins and their antics. There are a lot fewer of them now. Would the slain ones respawn back in their pit? Would they respawn with the rest of the goblins? Would they not respawn until all the goblins were dead? Would they respawn even if the goblins left the dungeon?

    He has so many questions with so many possible opportunities that might be here!

    He sends the next telepathic message to the whole team.

    "I suggest a few moments to regroup and take a quick breather. Maybe make sure these goblins aren't going to surprise us in bad ways. But then, keep going according to plan - get to the core, or as close to the core as we can? The goblins might even be helpful, especially if we can convince them that we really aren't going to harm the dungeon. It is completely true that we aren't going to harm the core at all.

    Serafino selects a goblin that is off on the edges of the crowd of goblins and quickly Dominates the creature and floats over by it, speaking in Goblin.

    "Hey, you, gobbo. I have a couple questions for you. It will just take a moment, and I'll try to help you find a really big tooth or claw if you answer my questions."

    Hopefully the words will help cover any reactions and alleviate any suspicions the other goblins might have.

    Spoiler: Dominate
    Show
    Dominate has DC 28 to resist. Requires a natural 20 for a goblin to resist (outside of possible Waaagh or Dungeon effects)

  8. - Top - End - #218
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Anomander's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Another Bloody Isekai IC: Team Raid Bosses

    "ok, goblin, answer truthfully.

    Do you know the way toward the core of the dungeon, or can you sense which direction it is?

    Can you sense anything about what the dungeon wants you to do now and will you obey it?

    Are you able to deny the dungeon's urgings?

  9. - Top - End - #219
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    FearlessGnome's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Forests of Sweden
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Another Bloody Isekai IC: Team Raid Bosses

    The goblin blinks. "Of course. The dungeon core is down there." It points at the floor.

    "Um, no. We killed the intruder. She feels happy."

    "Sometimes, maybe. When the elves come to get some of us to feed the guardian, we don't want to die."
    Throw the dice high.

  10. - Top - End - #220
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Anomander's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Another Bloody Isekai IC: Team Raid Bosses

    Serafino was going to need to allow this goblin to leave his domination, so keeping a good set of memories from the time was preferable.

    "Thank you. You are a good goblins of the Waaagh. Just a couple more questions and I'll help you find a nice, big, sharp tooth.

    "We do not want to harm the core of the dungeon, in fact we want to try to talk with it. Will the other goblins help us reach the core if we explain this to them?

    "Can you communicate in any way with the dungeon? If so, in what way?

    "We won't be staying in this dungeon much longer. When we leave the dungeon, would you and the other goblins want to follow the great warleader, Malog, out there?

    "Will the goblins that the nasty eye monster killed be remade by the dungeon near us here, or back in the pit where we found you? How soon will they return?"

    After the goblin finishes answering these questions, Serafino nods and praises the goblin's cleverness, tells him to join in with the rest of the goblins and just be himself. He then helps find the goblin a nice, big, sharp tooth in the mass of the shoggoth's remains.

    He then announces loudly to the goblins: "After you get some good teeth here, go over to the dead hydra over there and see if you can find some good claws and teeth there. You'nz can maybe make some Big Choppas and Big Shootaz from what you find! They'll make you better fighters for the Waaagh!"

    Serafino uses the distraction to talk with the rest of the group quietly, quickly catching them up on his information gathered from the dominated goblin.

    "I'm still up to head for the core. You guys still a go? Show our audience what we're capable of doing. The goblin was pretty confident when he pointed right at the direction of the core, so I think we've got a better than average chance of not getting lost."

  11. - Top - End - #221
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    GMT+1

    Default Re: Another Bloody Isekai IC: Team Raid Bosses

    While the party is resting, Marambe asks Death Fairy:

    "Did this 'intruder' come from another dungeon? How would it have gotten here?"

  12. - Top - End - #222
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    London
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Another Bloody Isekai IC: Team Raid Bosses

    Tsu-Tse is poking around the dead hydra, cutting strips of tough hide from one of the edges with what looks like a small curved knife made of bronze.

    I've heard of something like that thing before. He says as he works. Where I come from they were called Made-with-Love. Supposed to come from outside of reality. Which is why you never see one.

    After a while he takes one of the strips, doubles it up, and inserts a rock into the middle. He gives it a few experimental whirls around his head, and then lets the rock fly, whereby it slams into a stalagmite some 50' away, and explodes, sending shards of stone in all directions.

    That one looks damn real to me though. Wonder what we'd find if we follow it's trail back to where it came from?

    Unrolling it, he frowns at it, then reaches out and rubs it against Malog as he happens to be lumbering past, then, as it starts to sizzle, pours water on it from his canteen. Eventually he works the strip back and forth between his fingers, stretching it, before dousing it with more water. Then he stands.

    Right you gobbos! I'll bet some of you know how to use a sling. Who wants to know how to make one? First we need you find some suitable rocks...

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Slings are, technically, free, which means they can quickly and easily be made of 'local materials'. Those are more limited in a dungeon, but I'm hoping a decent Craft Weaponsmithing check will mitigate that. (1d20+13)[15] If not, a dead hydra with acid-softened hide should be decent raw material.

    Given that part of my levelling up is increasing my craft skills, and of course, combat abilties, supervising goblins making and testing slings seems like it might count as part of the training montage.

  13. - Top - End - #223
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Anomander's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Another Bloody Isekai IC: Team Raid Bosses

    Serafino notices Tsu-Tse's skinning a strip of the hydra's hide but doesn't pay much attention until the dwarf starts to work the skin.

    He goes and watches silently. The dwarf is an expert at throwing weapons, so why does he want a sling? Then the dwarf shouts his orders to the goblins and the plan becomes clear. Brilliant, even! Sure, they'd dealt a little damage to the Shoggoth just from their shear mass of volume and the unfortunate-but-to-be-expected throwing of their weapons, which were then dissolved by the Shoggoth.

    Gobbos with plain rocks would deal even less damage, but gobbos with slings?

    And rubbing it on Malog for some acid to soften the skin a little?

    'Oh, we can use that,' Serafino thinks with a small grin.

    "That's right gobbos! You'nz gonna upgrade you'nz shootaz! Not only that, but you'nz gonna get 'em blessed by the mighty Malog! That's right, cut you'selves a strip o' hydra hide and have Malog bless it before you start working it! You'nz gonna have the bestest shootaz!"

    He gives Malog a shrug and sends a telepathic message to the hulking being: "I hope you don't mind them using you like this. They seem to be impressed by you and Malog."

    Serafino wanders through the goblins as they work, giving a little cut here or there, helping out just a little where needed.
    Spoiler: Helping Goblins Craft
    Show
    My Aura gives a +1 to craft for them, and where it looks like one is having trouble, I'll do a helping action to give them another +2 to their crafting efforts.
    If needed, I could more or less do it for some of them that are truly inept.

  14. - Top - End - #224
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Ruins of Toronto
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Another Bloody Isekai IC: Team Raid Bosses

    Now, after he spoke, he would have felt the pain in his head increasing. Now, most of that headache was just due to the toxins and the melting and the acids rushing through him. Feeling hos mind and body rot kind of hurt and while his organs, including his brain, healed quickly enough that to outsiders there would be no damage done, well, that did not mean that there was no pain on his part. And, so, he would walk over to a pillar and proceed to bash his head against it a few times until the headache abated.

    Then, he would notice something. The goblins were now understandable. And so was the voice in his head, but he was trying to ignore that one. It sounded like some sort of shady used car dealer. Still, shaking his head a surge of power went through his body, he would not feel as tired, even as he looked at them... and he would nod.

    Still, his reply to Serafino would be like pouring the words from a swamp where chemicals and oil had been dumped for decades. It was dark, it was dank, it was somewhat acidic and there was the sense that something was stirring in the depths, or that if anything the corruption from his body may be crossing over into his mindscape. 'I GOTS NO PROBLEM HELLPIN DA LITTLA GUYS OUT!!! OH, SHINY! I SHALL CALL THEM DAVE AS THEY SLING FOR A GOLIATH! HELLFIRE MISSILES AND MULTI-LOCK WEAPONS SYSTEMS UPGRADES!!!' And of course, his default mental volume was bellow.

    Yet, as they would look at him and use him as a crafting station, he would merely smile, and occasionally say a few words in abyssal to the tune of 'may you lot endure like the grandfather' and 'may your slings let the garden bloom'.

    And for some reason, he would poke the dwarf. He was not sure why, even as a tendril of power would seep into the little fella, rotting away some of the injury he had taken.
    Last edited by Warmatt; 2019-11-21 at 11:53 AM.
    Summer Job has started, and eats a lot of time, particularly on weekends. Replies my be delayed.

  15. - Top - End - #225
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Anomander's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Another Bloody Isekai IC: Team Raid Bosses

    Serafino jumps slightly in surprise at the sudden mental volume he was receiving.

    So did the head bashing knock something loose or ... together? Or were the puzzle pieces just shaken in the box? Again.

  16. - Top - End - #226
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    FearlessGnome's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Forests of Sweden
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Another Bloody Isekai IC: Team Raid Bosses

    Quote Originally Posted by Anomander View Post
    Serafino was going to need to allow this goblin to leave his domination, so keeping a good set of memories from the time was preferable.

    "Thank you. You are a good goblins of the Waaagh. Just a couple more questions and I'll help you find a nice, big, sharp tooth.

    "We do not want to harm the core of the dungeon, in fact we want to try to talk with it. Will the other goblins help us reach the core if we explain this to them?
    "Um... I don't know. You're in the waagh, aren't you? But the threat's gone now. We should just stay where we live."
    "Can you communicate in any way with the dungeon? If so, in what way?
    "Eh, no way. We can kinda feel what it wants, and if it gets angry we really feel it, but we can't talk to it."
    "We won't be staying in this dungeon much longer. When we leave the dungeon, would you and the other goblins want to follow the great warleader, Malog, out there?
    The goblin brightens up considerably. "Oh yeah, we definitely want to get out if you can help us defeat the crushers. We need to start killing villagers, and then we need revenge on the bastard who sent the eye monster!"
    "Will the goblins that the nasty eye monster killed be remade by the dungeon near us here, or back in the pit where we found you? How soon will they return?"
    Gobbo hesitates. "The dungeon will make new goblins where we met you. They will sort of, dribble in, a few at a time. She's probably already started."
    After the goblin finishes answering these questions, Serafino nods and praises the goblin's cleverness, tells him to join in with the rest of the goblins and just be himself. He then helps find the goblin a nice, big, sharp tooth in the mass of the shoggoth's remains.

    He then announces loudly to the goblins: "After you get some good teeth here, go over to the dead hydra over there and see if you can find some good claws and teeth there. You'nz can maybe make some Big Choppas and Big Shootaz from what you find! They'll make you better fighters for the Waaagh!"
    The goblins hesitate, and some of them begin whispering among themselves. Finally one of them asks "Is it really ok for us to use hydra parts? It's a dungeon monster. She's probably gonna eat it." They seem unsure, but some of them are definitely looking at the remains of the hydra with interest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrann View Post
    While the party is resting, Marambe asks Death Fairy:

    "Did this 'intruder' come from another dungeon? How would it have gotten here?"
    Death Fairy hesitates. "I would say... maybe 50/50. Dungeons do sometimes attack each other, but usually only when they both have dungeon masters, or if only the attacker has one and they want to conquer or destroy the second dungeon. But usually that means all out war, not one strong creature setting up camp." He frowns. The only thing this really accomplished was to make this dungeon spawn a whole lot of extra goblins, and maybe more things further down as well. I suppose... it probably won't reduce the numbers now, so if there was a conscious decision to mess with this dungeon, someone wanted to arm it with more monsters that can leave their section and gang up on intruders in other sections.

    The goblins are delighted to finally be able to understand their warleader. A few of them call for the blood of intruders and the death of slimes everywhere. When the party starts making slings they soon join in with more enthusiasm than skill.
    Last edited by FearlessGnome; 2019-11-21 at 12:50 PM.
    Throw the dice high.

  17. - Top - End - #227
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Anomander's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Another Bloody Isekai IC: Team Raid Bosses

    "Definitely, it's okay," Serafino reassures the goblins. "It's just a little bit, and it will make you much stronger fighters for the dungeon!"

    Serafino slowly helps the goblins with their crude sling-making efforts, but his concentration is on his mental conversations with his teammates.

    "The goblin I questioned doesn't make it sound like they'll be very useful outside the dungeon, at least not without a great deal of effort, possibly too much effort for the reward. I'm still interested in working with them, though, to see if they can be controlled or influenced outside the dungeon. Right now it seems like they just want to kill people outside and get revenge on whoever sent the Shoggoth here.

    "That last part is an interesting statement. Looks like there are some undercurrents to be aware of, but those might be issues for later, outside the dungeon.

    "The goblins have some strong urges to just stay in the area the dungeon puts them, so they won't be very helpful unless I dominate them all individually. Doable, but I think I would prefer to just grab the one I've already dominated and use him as a guide to the core.

    "Should we try to convince them all to accompany us, or just get the one to guide us? If we leave them here, we can try to pick them back up on our return if we want."

  18. - Top - End - #228
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Anomander's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Another Bloody Isekai IC: Team Raid Bosses

    (after OOC discussions)

    Serafino sighs. He's not sure this is even possible, but it could be really helpful in getting to the core. It might even be worth taking a risk.

    Serafino pulls out the looted cape gotten from the drow sorcerer and slides it on. He isn't nuts about trusting that dungeon-created items work like expected, but it would help if it did. And hey, it certainly did look good.

    "Goblins! There are things happening outside with the crushers. We need to communicate with the core, if possible. It involves the crushers. We absolutely do not wish to destroy the core in any way. Can you help us? This might help the core. It might help you get outside, and past the crushers.

    Are any of you willing to help guide us to the core?
    "

    Serafino knows a few things about crowd psychology, at least on Earth. Maybe goblins had some of the same urges. He telepathically sends a message to the goblin he had already Dominated. Hopefully the goblin could help in this.

    'Cautiously agree to help us. Come up with reasons as best you can if anyone asks you why.'

    Spoiler: Diplo Roll
    Show
    There was no lying, so no Bluff is needed.
    Diplomacy roll (with Inspiration) to convince them to help us: (1d20+36)[43]
    If the goblin's support counts, possibly add +2 from aid another?

    Also, as far as I know, no one ever wanted the cloak from the sorcerer. I didn't want to hog all the magical goodies, but if no one has wanted it by now I can put it to use until we get out of the dungeon and cash out. I've also assumed that it actually gives a +2 to Charisma, and isn't actually a Cursed Cloak of the Especially Ugly Hag -6 Charisma.

  19. - Top - End - #229
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    FearlessGnome's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Forests of Sweden
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Another Bloody Isekai IC: Team Raid Bosses

    Death Fairy's jaw slowly falls more and more in delighted disbelief as he listens to Serafino's speech.

    The goblins begin speaking frantically among themselves. One voice among them offers support, but reactions are pretty mixed. A consensus does finally emerge - they don't know what to do, but if they wait a while the dungeon will know, and they'll feel what it wants.

    The party hears a voice in their head they have only heard aloud so far. It is not the voice of the dungeon, but that of Death Fairy.

    "I must congratulate you on sheer audacity. This little stunt might actually work. You have proven your strength against dungeon monsters, you have led goblins into battle against an infiltrating monster, and the dungeon entrance is guarded by other powerful adventurers... Not to mention there are two other teams in the dungeon right now. She's starting to get desperate for a dungeon master. You might be able to get the goblins to help you bypass a few floors. The dungeon itself might even make monsters stand down. But it would be very, very dangerous to underestimate the dungeon. If you get half a dozen floors down before the core decides you can't be trusted... You're going to have to climb back out from below. And the first sign you get that your deception failed might be a pincer attack by two champion encounters at once. It's entirely up to you how you do this, but let me put it like this. Even if you get all the way to the bottom, there's gonna be a boss monster you'll have to fight to prove yourselves, and it's gonna be a pretty lethal step above what you've encountered so far. Don't get yourselves killed today - it'll reflect poorly on me too."
    Throw the dice high.

  20. - Top - End - #230
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Ruins of Toronto
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Another Bloody Isekai IC: Team Raid Bosses

    He would laugh at Death Fairy's words, and there would be amusement in his eyes, as he would gesture towards the goblins, and towards the small figure, even as his voice boomed and echoed, reverberating and calling as something spoke through him, as the drums echoed in the distance as great bells tolled. "Tell me this Death Fairy! Each one of us, each one of them, begins as nothing. But the gods care not for speeches, they care for deeds and daring, that glory is won. Will all reach the end where ones name echo's through the halls for all time, till meaning itself is ground into dust and rubble?"

    He would laugh, and it would be a mad laugh, that of one who has looked into deaths eye... and then proceeded to put the reaper into a headlock and punch to the face into submission. "No, it matters that we go ever onwards, that we dare. For even if we fall and become soil for the garden we become part of the legend. A smaller part, but better than to be utterly forgotten, to be meaningless."

    And so, he would laugh, bellowing and booming. "So, if the dungeon wishes to test and challenge us I welcome it." He would grin, mad and eager. "If I triumph then the eyes of the Grandfather are on me and I win glory. If I fall then I go to the garden and become something new."

    "Tell me boyz, DO YOU WANT TO BE REMEMBERED!?!"
    Summer Job has started, and eats a lot of time, particularly on weekends. Replies my be delayed.

  21. - Top - End - #231
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    FearlessGnome's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Forests of Sweden
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Another Bloody Isekai IC: Team Raid Bosses

    The goblin company is slightly terrified hearing the words of warleader Malog, but as they listen they begin to feel excitement as well. This they understand. Death can come swiftly, and these adventurers fought for the dungeon just now.

    The company cheers, and more than a few of them shoot up into the air with their new slings in joyful celebration.

    The cheering is tragically dampened when some of the goblins find themselves hit by small rocks and junk in the head.

    There looks to be exactly one path forward (And possibly also the devil mouth, but it's not clear what that does), a tunnel continuing from the other end of the room.
    Throw the dice high.

  22. - Top - End - #232
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    GMT+1

    Default Re: Another Bloody Isekai IC: Team Raid Bosses

    At some point during his rest, Marambe is surprised by a small crystal that just seems to magically appear in his hand.
    He is even more surprised when the crystal sprouts legs and crawls over to the metal Kong's chest, to merge with him.

    For a moment blue lights run along Marambe's body like arteries. Then, the lights fade and all that remains is an occasional shimmer along his body, as though he were protected by an invisible forcefield.

    Spoiler: mechanics
    Show

    Using Aegis class ability to form Astral Skin.
    Psicrystal is absorbed into skin.
    Customizations chosen: Darkvision (60') and Stalwart (= mettle)

    Also concentrating a full round to gain psionic focus. Doesn't do anything yet, but why not? :)

    Marambe responds to Death Fairy,

    ["I understand"]

    Then to the goblins,

    "If we are going to see the core, we should do so honorably. If we are not strong enough to face whatever the dungeon can throw at us, we are not worthy of talking to it."

    Of course, all of this was said in common. But hopefully the gestures and gravity of Marambe's voice will have gotten some of the message across.

  23. - Top - End - #233
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Anomander's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Another Bloody Isekai IC: Team Raid Bosses

    Serafino nods with the team's words. Those were excellent plans. He relay's Marambe's words to the goblins and turns to the doorway.

    "Then let us go forth to meet the core."

    He sends one of his rats scurrying out the door to scout ahead. It's not that he doesn't trust the goblins, but, yeah, he doesn't trust the goblins.

    Besides, if the dungeon was going to test them, Serafino was going to cheat at the test as best he could.

    "We shall prove to the dungeon that we are worthy.

    He does his best to strike a dramatic pose before zipping ahead through the air.

    The rat needed a chance to look ahead.

    He wanted the audience to get their entertainment value.

    If it made him look rash and hasty to any potential future enemies all the better.

    And it let him get at the front to sense anything his rat missed.

    Because, yeah, he totally didn't trust the dungeon to do anything other than keep trying to kill them.
    Last edited by Anomander; 2019-11-22 at 10:21 PM.

  24. - Top - End - #234
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    FearlessGnome's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Forests of Sweden
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Another Bloody Isekai IC: Team Raid Bosses

    Cheered by the goblin crowd, the party advances, Serafino and his rat leading the way. There is another section full of pressure plates in the tunnel ahead. Having fought the Shoggoth, it seems unlikely it could have passed through without pressing a lot of these plates, even if it could find them.

    The pressure panels are everywhere, stopping only at the entrance of the next room, and though you immediately realize a battle is waiting ahead, it seems you'll be able to start this one when you're good and ready. The tunnel opens up into a room with a low ceiling (Marambe is able to move normally, but just barely). In the center of the room is a large wheel like mechanism, with a long handle sticking out every 90 degrees. Beyond the wheel is a wall of seemingly perpetual fire. It looks... pretty intense. Inside the fire stand two large humanoid forms of dark metal, one in each corner. They do not appear to be moving.

    Spoiler: Mindsight
    Show
    There is a swarm in each humanoid form. There are also two more swarms you can't see without entering the room, in what is likely those two corners as well. The swarms are magical beasts with an intelligence of 6. You do not sense any minds in the metal humanoids themselves.


    Knowledge Arcana to identify the metal humanoids.

    There is a small plaque on the top of the wheel, though the text is small enough that you can't read it without getting closer.
    Throw the dice high.

  25. - Top - End - #235
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Anomander's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Another Bloody Isekai IC: Team Raid Bosses

    Serafino shakes his head at the corridor covered with pressure plate traps. "Whether the dungeon is testing us or this is just its typical behavior, just no. We're bypassing this drek. Give me a minute guys to make sure those things in the fire aren't going to attack us at first glance, and we'll see about bypassing all these traps."

    He uses his telekinesis to lift one of his rats over all the traps and into the room. The rat will race for the wheel, jump on top, and look at the plaque. Serafino will be looking through the rat's eyes to read the plaque. He also studies the two creatures in the fire while he's at it.

    Most importantly, he checks for reactions from the two creatures -- are they going to attack at first entry of anything into the room, or were their orders smart enough to wait for a significant enemy or all the enemies to enter? If they attack right away, he'll at least be able to observe them.

    If there isn't any reaction, Serafino will float his way along the side of the passageway, using his adamantine knife to cut large, deep, easy-to-use handholds in the side of the tunnel. He does not want to have to dig through yet another long passageway.

    He passes on his information about the figures in the flames and the plaque to the others.

    "We can climb along the wall. And not that I don't think you guys can climb it, I'll fly along with you and help everyone. I don't want one of my handholds to break, and a chunk of stone to set off another chain of explosions that we dig our way thought. Again. I suggest the goblins stay back until we know they won't all get cooked in a single blast of fire or something."

    Spoiler: Checks and stuff
    Show
    Knowledge (arcana): (1d20+24)[40]
    Perception to avoid getting caught by a sneaky trap that isn't a pressure plate: (1d20+34)[47]

    Knowledge (dungeoneering) or Craft (sculpting) to cut good handholds into the wall: (1d20+24)[36]
    (I have the same modifier for both of them.)
    edit: I have Know (architecture) too at the same bonus, just in case that would be a more appropriate roll for the situation.
    Last edited by Anomander; 2019-11-24 at 01:19 AM.

  26. - Top - End - #236
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    FearlessGnome's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Forests of Sweden
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Another Bloody Isekai IC: Team Raid Bosses

    The rat moves easily enough across the room, and the iron golems remain still. Once inside, the rat is able to see that there is fire in the two corners on your side of the room as well, and in each of those fires another iron golem.

    Seeing through the rat's eyes, Serafino also notices that there are pressure plates throughout the entirety of the room. These appear to be different than the ones outside that presumably cause the ceiling to tumble down, and no mechanism leads away from the plates. However, they also cover the entirety of the floor in here. The rat does not seem to trigger them, but... you have a suspicion that won't be the case for the rest of you.

    The rat makes its way on top of the wheel. The plaque reads: "If you would pass, show the strength of your convictions." The text is encircled by a series of arrows in a clockwise pattern.

    You succeed in adding some helpful handholds along the walls of the tunnel.
    Throw the dice high.

  27. - Top - End - #237
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Anomander's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Another Bloody Isekai IC: Team Raid Bosses

    "... so that's where we're at. The wheel, its message, four iron golems in the four corners, some sort of swarm in them, or at least with them, fire wall all along the back, pillars of fire in the other two corners, and to top it off - panels all along the passage and in the room. The golems are helped by fire, so I'm guessing the panels trigger some sort of fire, but I'm not sure. Not fun.

    "The handholds will help us climb along the wall without triggering the hallway panels, but the panels in the room can't be bypassed so easily. Let me check the floor panels out, and we can plan the assault.

    Serafino floats along the passageway and checks out several of the panels to see what exactly the trap panels are, how they work, and how to disable them.
    (Perception (1d20+34)[48])

    When he gets to the entrance to the room, he does his best to check the nearest panels in the room without entering the room, but if he can't see much , Serafino will carefully enter the room just enough to check the nearest room panels.
    (If needed again: Perception (1d20+34)[50])

  28. - Top - End - #238
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    London
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Another Bloody Isekai IC: Team Raid Bosses

    Tsu-Tse eyes are wide.

    Tell me I'm not seeing thousands of pounds of pure handcrafted metal, and a free forge furnace that never goes out? He breathes. Because I'm not sure I could handle it if this turned out to be an illusion.

    After a few deep breaths, the dwarf seems more in control of himself.

    Ok, so they're probably going to try and kill us. But are they really that much of a problem? I mean, they're golems. We can work what they'll do, and then they'll do it every time. So how about we attack them from range, and then see how they react? If they don't follow us out of the room, they're doomed aren't they? And if they do... well then there's a big pit full of water two rooms back. As long as we can keep away from them...

    He sighs.

    Maybe I'm being overconfident. But I'm more worried about the puzzle. 'Show your conviction' could mean almost anything. I mean, it could be that we turn the wheel a quarter turn and then have to fight a golem while surrounded by flames. And do that four times. Or it could be that we have to show our conviction by ignoring the attacking golems to turn the wheel four times, which then deactivates the golems and lets us pass. Or could be that we just take a clockwise - is that a word here? - a clockwise route around the room, and we'll be fine. .

    He rubs his chin, looking around. But I'm thinking we've probably got the same sweep of flames on our side that there is on the far side, and that when we go in, the gap we're looking through and about to enter through, will close up leaving us in a sealed room. Until we solve the riddle, leaving a gap on the far side. Or else why bother having the puzzle?
    Last edited by Togo; 2019-11-25 at 02:44 PM.

  29. - Top - End - #239
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Anomander's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Another Bloody Isekai IC: Team Raid Bosses

    Serafino pauses his trap examinations at Tsu-Tse's words.

    "I like that perspective. Their construction is certainly expensive, too, so even their scrap is probably worth something.

    "I'm curious about the golems' intelligence and what it suggests about the dungeon. I expect it programed them with appropriate responses, but if there's a loophole, I'm all for exploiting it. If they come to the doorway to chase one of us, but are also instructed not to leave the room, then I think your throwing skills are going to be perfect to deal with them.

    "I found John Connor's 'Unnatural Constructions - Their Fundamental Danger to All Existence' in the library here, and his description of the iron golem's benefits from fire was significant. We'll have a hard time dealing significant damage to them as long as they stay in their flames. Luring them over sounds like a solid plan."

    Serafino goes back to working his traps, muttering.

    "Weird dude, though. Had some serious hate on for robots."
    Last edited by Anomander; 2019-11-25 at 04:21 PM.

  30. - Top - End - #240
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Ruins of Toronto
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Another Bloody Isekai IC: Team Raid Bosses

    Now, there were a few things that Malog had not shared with everyone. One was that without his glasses he could barely make details about things out, being mostly blurry colors in a few shapes that melted together at some points. Secondly, at the moment he was not able to remember how to read. That is, he could read, he just could not remember what the words meant. He thought. He could be wrong.

    Still, he would look at the others. "Maybe its being literal? Have ta be strong enough ta turn the wheel?"
    Summer Job has started, and eats a lot of time, particularly on weekends. Replies my be delayed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •