New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Ferkathas (a place to reposit info about my setting)

Been developing this setting, "Ferkathas," for several years, ran two campaigns in it already, so I won't be asking for advice on the "big picture" as much as most threads in this forum seem to. But I'm trying to fill out the smaller details -- NPCs and maps for individual cities or adventures, random encounter tables for specific dungeons, that sort of thing, and I may ask for advice with that part.

Even if I don't ask for advice, this is a place for me to store info about the setting in the cloud, rather than just on my computer in a lot of disparate files. Comments and questions are still welcome.

Table of Contents
    Cosmology Overview: this post
    Overview of Religion
    Geography Overview/World Map
    Smigrin Empire Overview
    Lorar Nov Leadership
    Lorar Nov Dragon Clan

Overview

This setting is intended for running D&D 5e, without shaking up TOO many expectations of players, so a lot of stuff will be standard. Even stuff that I don't particularly like (Dragons: color-coded for YOUR convenience!).

Cosmology

There are only 14 major Planes of Existence: the Prime Plane, the four Elemental Planes, the Astral Plane, and eight others that merge the concepts of the Outer Planes with other planes. (For example, some of these "outer planes" also function as this setting's Faewild, Shadowfel, and Far Realm. In fact, that's what they're called. The other Outer Planes are called The Arcadian Mount, Carsigel, Azghon, Arvandor, and Nechan.)

The surface of the Prime Plane does not lie on the outer surface of a planet, but on the inner surface of a sphere, with the "sky" composed of the space in the interior of the sphere. Almost half of the "sky" is filled with a hemispherical mist of darkness called the Nightshroud. Near the center of the sphere is the Sun. The surface rotates around the sun, making the cycles of day and night not all that different from what we experience on the outside of our planet.

Still, this cosmology has minor implications, such as the way that the "horizon" is more an effect of the air's opacity and less of an effect of the surface of the planet curving "down" as it gets further away from you. If you can fly through the sky's dangers unscathed, you can take a shortcut to the opposite side of the world compared to sailing around it. Perhaps the most important implication is that climate isn't a function of latitude; rather, warmer and colder regions are a result of planar leylines.
    Last edited by Draz74; 2019-10-10 at 12:47 PM.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Ferkathas (a place to reposit info about my setting)

World Map (of the Prime Plane)

Rakia is the most densely-populated continent, with a number of firmly-established nations with political intrigue between them. Humans are the dominant race.

Liassang is the biggest continent, but most of its regions are sparsely populated -- good for "frontier" adventuring. Humans are the most numerous race, but they are challenged in this role by orcs, who rule the largest empire in the world here.

Timir is somewhere in between the previous two in population density, and has perhaps the richest history of the three, with ruins of a vast nonhuman empire dominating its western half. Humans dominate what is left of the population.

Elmengoth, the smallest continent, is also the oldest: the ancestral land of the dragons. To this day, very few humanoids other than Dragonborn live there.

Damaset is a recently-discovered "new world," only accessible by ships with the latest technologies. Akhorans (this world's aarakocra) abound there, and were unknown to other races until ships began to cross the Veric Ocean.

The Whisper Isles are an exotic tropical land that has very little of civilized races, except maybe aquatic races. Seemingly untouched by time, they are filled with strange creatures such as dinosaurs.
    Last edited by Draz74; 2019-10-09 at 10:59 AM.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.

3. - Top - End - #3

Smigrin Empire

In recent days, the part of the world I'm trying hardest to develop is the world's second-largest civilized nation, the Smigrin Empire. Located in southeastern Timir, it's on the warm side of temperate, and its language (Smigrin) is the lingua franca (Common) for all of Timir.

While this region has diverse ethnicity, a large portion of the humans here -- especially of the aristocratic class -- are Asian-flavored. Black hair, dark eyes, epicanthal folds, Asian-ish names, etc.

This land is ruled by Emperor Jirion, a middle-aged and ambitious (cocky?) warrior. In his youth he led a successful campaign to the east to destroy the Death Knight Furgrin. Since then, he has founded the city of Jirjing and moved the capital there, in order to focus on warring with the nations to the west.

At the moment, the Smigrin Empire is allied with Risfvor, a hobgoblin nation, against Sondadarsda. Tanash-tok-Biworr is neutral at the moment. So is Morraka ... but then, Morraka (being ruled by medusae) is seldom truly neutral, being unfriendly with all of its neighbors.
    Last edited by Draz74; 2019-10-09 at 11:20 AM.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

4. - Top - End - #4

Lorar Nov Leadership

Today, I'm working on the city of Lorar Nov in the southwest of the Smigrin Empire. The world capital of the Forest Gnome race, it's also the birthplace of a new and promising religion/philosophy, founded by said gnomes.

Today, I'm not focusing on that religion, but on city leadership. Which gets into the fact that an entire clan of Bronze Dragons makes Lorar Nov their home. The matriarch of this clan, Tiacar, has also accepted the responsibility of being the Guardian of Lorar Nov (a political appointment). Her husband, Etzlend, is a more scholarly and reclusive sort, friendly to Lorar Nov but not willing to be as involved in politics.

Right now I'm playing around with ways in which Tiacar and Etzlend will be different from the standard Adult Bronze Dragon stat block. Magic items; additional skill proficiencies; spellcasting according to the "standard" dragon variant rules; slight boosts to Dexterity, Intelligence, and Wisdom; class features they've learned to use while in Humanoid form; that sort of thing. And I'm wondering if any of that should boost their CR. (Probably not?)

Spoiler: Tiacar
    Show
    Huge Dragon, Lawful Good
    -------------------------
    Armor Class 19 (natural armor)
    HP 212 (17d12+102)
    Speed 40 ft, fly 80 ft, swim 40 ft
    Str 25 (+7), Dex 10 (+0), Con 23 (+6)
    Int 16 (+3), Wis 16 (+3), Cha 19 (+4)
    Saves Dexterity +5, Constitution +11, Wisdom +8, Charisma +9
    Skills History +8, Insight +8, Intimidation +9, Perception +13, Religion +8, Stealth +5
    Damage Immunities lightning
    Senses blindsight 60 ft, darkvision 120 ft, passive Perception 23
    Languages Draconic, Smigrin, Gnomish; can also speak with animals
    CR 15 (13000 XP)
    Amphibious. Tiacar can breathe air and water.
    Legendary Resistance (3/Day). If Tiacar fails a saving throw, she can choose to succeed instead.
    Innate Spellcasting. Tiacar's innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (save DC 17, +9 to hit with spell attacks). She can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
    1/day each: Absorb Elements, Misty Step, Tidal Wave, Watery Sphere
    Actions
    Multiattack. Tiacar can use her Frightful Presence. She then makes three attacks: one with her bite and two with her claws.
    Bite (melee 10 ft) +12: 2d10+7 piercing
    Claw (melee 5 ft) +12: 2d6+7 slashing
    Tail (melee 15 ft) +12: 2d8+7 bludgeoning
    Frightful Presence. Each creature of Tiacar's choice that is within 120 ft of her and aware of her must succeed on a DC 17 Wisdom saving throw or become frightened for 1 minute. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. If a creature's saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the creature is immune to Tiacar's Frightful Presence for the next 24 hours.
    Breath Weapons (Recharge 5-6). Tiacar uses one of the following breath weapons:
    Lightning Breath: Tiacar exhales lightning in a 90-ft line that is 5 feet wide. Each creature in that line must make a DC 19 Dexterity saving throw, taking 12d10 lightning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
    Repulsion Breath: Tiacar exhales repulsion energy in a 30-ft cone. Each creature in that area must succeed on a DC 19 Strength saving throw. On a failed save, the creature is pushed 60 ft away from Tiacar.
    Change Shape. Tiacar magically polymorphs into a humanoid or beast with a Challenge Rating no greater than 15, or back into her true form. She reverts to her true form if she dies. Any equipment she is wearing or carrying is absorbed or borne by the new form (Tiacar's choice).
    In a new form, Tiacar retains her alignment, hit points, Hit Dice, ability to speak, proficiencies, Legendary Resistance, lair actions, and Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores, as well as this action. Her statistics and capabilities are otherwise replaced by those of the new form, except any class features or legendary actions of that form.
    Legendary Actions (3/Turn)
    Only one legendary action option can be used at a time, and only at the end of another creature's turn. Tiacar regains spent legendary actions at the start of her turn.
    Detect. Tiacar makes a Wisdom (Perception) check.
    Tail Attack. Tiacar makes a tail attack.
    Wing Attack (costs 2 Actions). Tiacar beats her wings. Each creature within 10 ft of her must succeed on a DC 20 Dexterity saving throw or take 2d6+7 bludgeoning damage and be knocked prone. Tiacar can then fly up to half her flying speed.
    Lair Actions
    On initiative count 20 (losing initiative ties), Tiacar takes a lair action to cause one of the following effects:
    Fog Cloud. Tiacar creates fog as though she had cast the fog cloud spell. The fog lasts until initiative count 20 on the next round.
    Thunderclap. A thunderclap originates at a point Tiacar can see within 120 ft of her. Each creature within a 20-ft radius centered on that point must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or take 1d10 thunder damage and be deafened until the end of its next turn.

Spoiler: Etzlend
    Show
    Huge Dragon, Lawful Good
    Armor Class 20 (natural armor)
    HP 212 (17d12+102)
    Str 25 (+7), Dex 12 (+1), Con 23 (+6)
    Int 18 (+4), Wis 15 (+2), Cha 19 (+4)
    Saves Dexterity +6, Constitution +11, Wisdom +7, Charisma +9
    Skills Animal Handling +7, Arcana +9, Insight +7, Nature +9, Perception +12, Stealth +6
    Senses blindsight 60 ft, darkvision 120 ft, passive Perception 22
    Languages Draconic, Smigrin, Celestial, Elvish, Gnomish, Primordial, Orc; can also speak with animals
    CR 15 (13000 XP)
    Amphibious. Etzlend can breathe air and water.
    Legendary Resistance (3/Day). If Etzlend fails a saving throw, he can choose to succeed instead.
    Innate Spellcasting. Etzlend's innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (save DC 17, +9 to hit with spell attacks). He can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
    1/day each: Control Winds, Shield, Steel Wind Strike, Storm Sphere
    Actions
    Multiattack. Etzlend can use his Frightful Presence. He then makes three attacks: one with his bite and two with his claws.
    Bite (melee 10 ft) +12: 2d10+7 piercing
    Claw (melee 5 ft) +12: 2d6+7 slashing
    Tail (melee 15 ft) +12: 2d8+7 bludgeoning
    Frightful Presence. Each creature of Etzlend's choice that is within 120 ft of him and aware of him must succeed on a DC 17 Wisdom saving throw or become frightened for 1 minute. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. If a creature's saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the creature is immune to Etzlend's Frightful Presence for the next 24 hours.
    Breath Weapons (Recharge 5-6). Etzlend uses one of the following breath weapons:
    Lightning Breath: Etzlend exhales lightning in a 90-ft line that is 5 feet wide. Each creature in that line must make a DC 19 Dexterity saving throw, taking 12d10 lightning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
    Repulsion Breath: Etzlend exhales repulsion energy in a 30-ft cone. Each creature in that area must succeed on a DC 19 Strength saving throw. On a failed save, the creature is pushed 60 ft away from Etzlend.
    Change Shape. Etzlend magically polymorphs into a humanoid or beast with a Challenge Rating no greater than 15, or back into his true form. He reverts to his true form if he dies. Any equipment he is wearing or carrying is absorbed or borne by the new form (Etzlend's choice).
    In a new form, Etzlend retains his alignment, hit points, Hit Dice, ability to speak, proficiencies, Legendary Resistance, lair actions, and Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores, as well as this action. His statistics and capabilities are otherwise replaced by those of the new form, except any class features or legendary actions of that form.
    Legendary Actions (3/Turn)
    Only one legendary action option can be used at a time, and only at the end of another creature's turn. Etzlend regains spent legendary actions at the start of his turn.
    Detect. Etzlend makes a Wisdom (Perception) check.
    Tail Attack. Etzlend makes a tail attack.
    Wing Attack (costs 2 Actions). Etzlend beats his wings. Each creature within 10 ft of him must succeed on a DC 20 Dexterity saving throw or take 2d6+7 bludgeoning damage and be knocked prone. Etzlend can then fly up to half his flying speed.
    Lair Actions
    On initiative count 20 (losing initiative ties), Etzlend takes a lair action to cause one of the following effects:
    Fog Cloud. Etzlend creates fog as though he had cast the fog cloud spell. The fog lasts until initiative count 20 on the next round.
    Thunderclap. A thunderclap originates at a point Etzlend can see within 120 ft of him. Each creature within a 20-ft radius centered on that point must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or take 1d10 thunder damage and be deafened until the end of its next turn.

They have a whopping five children. The eldest is a "rebellious" (i.e. neutral good instead of lawful good) juvenile, while the others range from Wyrmling to almost-Young.

Spoiler: Risabi
    Show
    Large Dragon, Neutral Good
    Armor Class 18 (natural armor)
    HP 142 (15d10+60)
    Str 21 (+5), Dex 10 (+0), Con 19 (+4)
    Int 14 (+2), Wis 13 (+1), Cha 17 (+3)
    Saves Dexterity +3, Constitution +7, Wisdom +4, Charisma +6
    Skills Insight +4, Perception +7, Stealth +3
    Senses blindsight 30 ft, darkvision 120 ft, passive Perception 17
    Languages Draconic, Smigrin; can also speak with animals
    CR 8 (3900 XP)
    Amphibious. Risabi can breathe air and water.
    Innate Spellcasting. Risabi's innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (save DC 14, +6 to hit with spell attacks). She can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
    1/day each: Shield, Locate Object, Misty Step
    Actions
    Multiattack. Risabi makes three attacks: one with her bite and two with her claws.
    Bite (melee 10 ft) +8: 2d10+5 piercing
    Claw (melee 5 ft) +8: 2d6+5 slashing
    Breath Weapons (Recharge 5-6). Risabi uses one of the following breath weapons:
    Lightning Breath: Risabi exhales lightning in a 60-ft line that is 5 feet wide. Each creature in that line must make a DC 15 Dexterity saving throw, taking 10d10 lightning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
    Repulsion Breath: Risabi exhales repulsion energy in a 30-ft cone. Each creature in that area must succeed on a DC 15 Strength saving throw. On a failed save, the creature is pushed 40 ft away from Risabi.

Spoiler: Krolarkarr
    Show
    Medium Dragon, Lawful Good
    Armor Class 18 (natural armor)
    HP 90 (12d8+36)
    Speed 30 ft, fly 60 ft, swim 30 ft
    Str 19 (+4), Dex 10 (+0), Con 17 (+3)
    Int 13 (+1), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 16 (+3)
    Saves Dexterity +3, Constitution +6, Wisdom +4, Charisma +6
    Skills Insight +4, Perception +7, Stealth +3
    Senses blindsight 20 ft, darkvision 100 ft, passive Perception 17
    Languages Draconic, Smigrin, Gnomish; can also speak with animals
    CR 6 (2300 XP)
    Amphibious. Krolarkarr can breathe air and water.
    Innate Spellcasting. Krolarkarr's innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (save DC 14, +6 to hit with spell attacks). He can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
    1/day each: Calm Emotions, Expeditious Retreat
    Actions
    Multiattack. Krolarkarr makes three attacks: one with his bite and two with his claws.
    Bite (melee 5 ft) +7: 1d10+4 piercing
    Claw (melee 5 ft) +7: 1d6+4 slashing
    Breath Weapons (Recharge 5-6). Krolarkarr uses one of the following breath weapons:
    Lightning Breath: Krolarkarr exhales lightning in a 50-ft line that is 5 feet wide. Each creature in that line must make a DC 14 Dexterity saving throw, taking 8d10 lightning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
    Repulsion Breath: Krolarkarr exhales repulsion energy in a 30-ft cone. Each creature in that area must succeed on a DC 14 Strength saving throw. On a failed save, the creature is pushed 40 ft away from Krolarkarr.

Spoiler: Kalazhizh
    Show
    Armor Class 17 (natural armor)
    HP 67 (9d8+27)
    Str 19 (+4), Dex 10 (+0), Con 17 (+3)
    Int 12 (+1), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 16 (+3)
    Saves Dexterity +2, Constitution +5, Wisdom +3, Charisma +5
    Skills Perception +5, Stealth +2
    Senses blindsight 20 ft, darkvision 80 ft, passive Perception 15
    Languages Draconic; can also speak with animals
    CR 4 (1100 XP)
    Amphibious. Kalazhizh can breathe air and water.
    Actions
    Bite (melee 5 ft) +6: 1d10+4 piercing
    Breath Weapons (Recharge 5-6). Kalazhizh uses one of the following breath weapons:
    Lightning Breath: Kalazhizh exhales lightning in a 50-ft line that is 5 feet wide. Each creature in that line must make a DC 13 Dexterity saving throw, taking 6d10 lightning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
    Repulsion Breath: Kalazhizh exhales repulsion energy in a 30-ft cone. Each creature in that area must succeed on a DC 13 Strength saving throw. On a failed save, the creature is pushed 30 ft away from Kalazhizh.

Spoiler: Bakhli
    Show
    HP 32 (5d8+10)
    Str 17 (+3), Dex 10 (+0), Con 15 (+2)
    Int 12 (+1), Wis 11 (+0), Cha 15 (+2)
    Saves Dexterity +2, Constitution +4, Wisdom +2, Charisma +4
    Skills Perception +4, Stealth +2
    Senses blindsight 10 ft, darkvision 60 ft, passive Perception 14
    Languages Draconic, Smigrin
    CR 2 (450 XP)
    Amphibious. Bakhli can breathe air and water.
    Actions
    Bite (melee 5 ft) +5: 1d10+3 piercing
    Breath Weapons (Recharge 5-6). Bakhli uses one of the following breath weapons:
    Lightning Breath: Bakhli exhales lightning in a 40-ft line that is 5 feet wide. Each creature in that line must make a DC 12 Dexterity saving throw, taking 3d10 lightning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
    Repulsion Breath: Bakhli exhales repulsion energy in a 30-ft cone. Each creature in that area must succeed on a DC 12 Strength saving throw. On a failed save, the creature is pushed 30 ft away from Bakhli.

Spoiler: Kirothil
    Show
    HP 32 (5d8+10)
    Str 17 (+3), Dex 10 (+0), Con 15 (+2)
    Int 12 (+1), Wis 11 (+0), Cha 15 (+2)
    Saves Dexterity +2, Constitution +4, Wisdom +2, Charisma +4
    Skills Perception +4, Stealth +2
    Senses blindsight 10 ft, darkvision 60 ft, passive Perception 14
    Languages Draconic
    CR 2 (450 XP)
    Amphibious. Kirothil can breathe air and water.
    Actions
    Bite (melee 5 ft) +5: 1d10+3 piercing
    Breath Weapons (Recharge 5-6). Kirothil uses one of the following breath weapons:
    Lightning Breath: Kirothil exhales lightning in a 40-ft line that is 5 feet wide. Each creature in that line must make a DC 12 Dexterity saving throw, taking 3d10 lightning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
    Repulsion Breath: Kirothil exhales repulsion energy in a 30-ft cone. Each creature in that area must succeed on a DC 12 Strength saving throw. On a failed save, the creature is pushed 30 ft away from Kirothil.

Risabi and Kalazhizh are female; Krolarkarr, Bakhli and Kirothil are male.

Krolarkarr in particular is likely to come up as an NPC, because he has aligned himself closely with the Daelist movement (the new religion in town).

All five children live in caves in the coastal cliffs -- the younger ones very closely tied with their parents' cave, the elder ones slightly further away. Risabi is a few miles down the coast, but still close enough to be considered part of Lorar Nov. Barely. The parents' cave is connected through a very deep cellar to a mansion on the coastal edge of town.
    Last edited by Draz74; 2019-10-10 at 01:11 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5

When a dragon takes a Humanoid form with Change Shape, what physical ability scores does it end up with? Is it just the scores of whatever humanoid stat block I can find in various books? For example, so far the best I've found is the Gladiator stat block, or the Master Thief (from Volo's) for an emphasis on Dexterity. Should I just assume that Change Shape dragons generally choose one of those two forms when they adopt humanoid personas?

Or are the physical ability scores of these stat blocks considered "class features," and the dragon is stuck with 10's for its physical scores? Is there a better way to determine which parts of a humanoid stat block are "class features" than "ask your DM"?
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

6. - Top - End - #6

Lorar Nov is one of the most pleasant places in Ferkathas to live, but that doesn't mean it's completely free of tensions.

In particular, it's still part of an empire -- not a democracy. And not a nation that fully embraces religious freedom.

The regent ruler of the city, Regent Raton, is a human appointed by Emperor Jirion. He tries to do a good job and avoid corruption (as the gnomes, and especially the bronze dragons, wouldn't stand for anything less), but he's still not a gnome, as the gnomish majority would prefer (they haven't been granted a gnomish regent as long as they've been ruled by Smigra). And he has the difficult balancing act of appeasing both his stewardship and his liege.

Spoiler: Regent Raton Highwing
    Show
    Medium Humanoid (human), Lawful Good
    Armor Class 17 (breastplate, ring of protection)
    HP 33 (6d8+6)
    Speed 30 ft
    Str 12 (+1), Dex 13 (+1), Con 12 (+1)
    Int 13 (+1), Wis 15 (+2), Cha 17 (+3)
    Saves Strength +2, Dexterity +2, Constitution +2, Intelligence +2, Wisdom +3, Charisma +4
    Skills Deception +5, History +3, Insight +4, Performance +5, Persuasion +5
    Senses passive Perception 12
    Languages Smigrin, Gnomish, Elvish
    CR 1/2 (100 XP)
    Ring of Protection. This item adds 1 to Raton's AC and saving throws.
    Actions
    Longsword (melee 5 ft) +3: 1d8+1 slashing, or 1d10+1 slashing if wielded in two hands
    Reactions
    Parry. Raton adds 2 to his AC against one melee attack that would hit him. To do so, Raton must see the attacker and be wielding a melee weapon.

Raton is only in his early thirties, so he may be around for quite a while. (Although it's not as long compared to a gnomish, draconic, or elven lifetime.)

As for freedom of religion ... the state religion of the Smigrin Empire is Viryanism, the most widespread religion in all of Ferkathas. (More on that in a future post.) And Emperor Jirion, while he's not terribly religious, does rely on a Viryan priest to protect him from magical assault, so he wants to remain in the religion's good graces.

The gnomes do enjoy a certain amount of autonomy compared to other subjects of the Empire, and in recent years that has been interpreted to mean they are allowed to practice Daelism; it has been recognized as an official if inferior religion, but specifically as a gnomish religion. For other races, it is technically illegal to be affiliated with Daelism. Regent Raton has only halfheartedly enforced this ban so far, but he may face increasing pressure from Jirjing to do so.

It doesn't help that the Daelist gnomes are very enthusiastic about proselyting their new faith, including to other races in the region.

Raton has a loyal Gnomish bodyguard:

Spoiler: Bamodi Underhill
    Show
    Small Humanoid (gnome), Lawful Good
    Armor Class 19 (splint armor, shield)
    HP 58 (9d8+18)
    Speed 25 ft
    Str 16 (+3), Dex 14 (+2), Con 14 (+2)
    Int 12 (+1), Wis 11 (+0), Cha 10 (+0)
    Skills Athletics +5, Insight +2, Perception +2
    Senses darkvision 60 ft, passive Perception 12
    Languages Gnomish, Smigrin; can speak with Small and Tiny beasts
    CR 3 (700 XP)
    Alert. Bamodi has a +5 bonus to initiative (total modifier +7). He can't be surprised while he is conscious, and other creatures don't gain advantage on attack rolls against him as a result of being hidden from him.
    Brave. Bamodi has advantage on saving throws against being frightened.
    Gnome Cunning. Bamodi has advantage on Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma saves against magic.
    Innate Spellcasting. Bamodi's spellcasting ability is Intelligence (spell save DC 11, +3 to hit with spell attacks). He can innately cast the following spell, requiring no material components:
    (At-Will): Minor Illusion
    Actions
    Multiattack. Bamodi makes two flail attacks or two javelin attacks.
    Flail (melee 5 ft) +5: 1d8+3 bludgeoning
    Javelin (thrown 30/120 ft) +5: 1d6+3 piercing
    Reactions
    Protection. When a creature Bamodi can see attacks a target other than him that is within 5 feet of him, he uses his shield to impose disadvantage on the attack roll.

(Underhill is a very common gnomish surname.)

Emperor Jirion has appointed Ildess Mossy as the sub-regent of the gnomes under Raton. She is a stick in the mud, and generally tries to get Raton to come down harder on the Daelist movement, hoping to win favor with Jirion and the Viryan leadership. However, Raton is wise enough to keep a more benevolent gnomish leader, Deltini Woodpecker, as his closest advisor and confidant. Although she is not religious herself, she is favorable towards the Daelists.

Spoiler: Ildess Mossy
    Show
    Small Humanoid (gnome), Lawful Evil
    Armor Class 12 (leather armor)
    HP 27 (6d8)
    Speed 25 ft
    Str 11 (+0), Dex 13 (+1), Con 11 (+0)
    Int 14 (+2), Wis 14 (+2), Cha 16 (+3)
    Skills Deception +5, Persuasion +5
    Senses darkvision 60 ft, passive Perception 12
    Languages Gnomish, Smigrin, Elvish; can speak with Small and Tiny beasts
    CR 1/4 (50 XP)
    Gnome Cunning. Ildess has advantage on Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma saves against magic.
    Innate Spellcasting. Ildess's spellcasting ability is Intelligence (spell save DC 12, +4 to hit with spell attacks). She can innately cast the following spell, requiring no material components:
    Actions
    Rapier (melee 5 ft) +3: 1d8+1 piercing

Spoiler: Deltini Woodpecker
    Show
    Armor Class 12 (leather armor)
    HP 27 (6d8)
    Speed 25 ft
    Str 11 (+0), Dex 13 (+1), Con 11 (+0)
    Int 14 (+2), Wis 16 (+3), Cha 14 (+2)
    Skills History +4, Insight +5, Nature +4, Persuasion +4
    Senses darkvision 60 ft, passive Perception 13
    Languages Gnomish, Smigrin, Elvish; can speak with Small and Tiny beasts
    CR 1 (200 XP)
    Gnome Cunning. Deltini has advantage on Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma saves against magic.
    Spellcasting. Deltini is a 3rd-level spellcaster. Her spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 13, +5 to hit with spell attacks). She has the following druid spells prepared:
    Cantrips: Druidcraft, Mending, Minor Illusion, Shillelagh
    Level 1 (4/Day): Animal Friendship, Create or Destroy Water, Cure Wounds, Faerie Fire
    Level 2 (2/Day): Animal Messenger, Enhance Ability
    Actions
    Quarterstaff (melee 5 ft) +2: 1d6 bludgeoning, or 1d8 bludgeoning when wielded in two hands
    Quarterstaff with Shillelagh (melee 5 ft) +5: 1d8+3 bludgeoning

The Wood Elven minority of Lorar Nov is substantial enough that its Parliament also includes an elven representative:

Spoiler: Loryle Rerlikash
    Show
    Medium Humanoid (elf), Neutral Good
    Armor Class 17 (breastplate)
    HP 31 (7d8)
    Speed 35 ft
    Str 11 (+0), Dex 14 (+2), Con 10 (+0)
    Int 12 (+1), Wis 15 (+2), Cha 16 (+3)
    Skills Animal Handling +4, Deception +5, Insight +4, Perception +4, Persuasion +5, Survival +4
    Senses darkvision 60 ft, passive Perception 14
    Languages Elvish, Smigrin, Gnomish
    CR 1/4 (50 XP)
    Fey Ancestry. Loryle has advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can't put them to sleep.
    Mask of the Wild. Loryle can attempt to hide even when they are only lightly obscured by natural phenomena (e.g. foliage, heavy rain, falling snow, mist).
    Actions
    Longbow (ranged 150/600 ft) +4: 1d8+2 piercing
    Shortsword (melee 5 ft) +4: 1d6+2 piercing
    Reactions
    Parry. Loryle adds 2 to their AC against one melee attack that would hit them. To do so, Loryle must see the attacker and be wielding a melee weapon.

Besides Regent Raton, Guardian Tiacar, Ildess, Deltini, and Loryle, there are 4 more Ministers of city Parliament (3 humans and 1 gnome). Responsibility for all the city's departments is divided between these nine.

Spoiler: Human Minister of Lorar Nov
    Show
    Medium Humanoid (human), Lawful Neutral
    Armor Class 11 (leather armor)
    HP 13 (3d8)
    Speed 30 ft
    Str 11 (+0), Dex 11 (+0), Con 11 (+0)
    Int 13 (+1), Wis 13 (+1), Cha 12 (+1)
    Skills Deception +3, History +3, Insight +3, Persuasion +3
    Senses passive Perception 11
    Languages Smigrin, Gnomish
    CR 1/8 (25 XP)
    Actions
    Club (melee 5 ft) +2: 1d4 bludgeoning

Spoiler: Gnomish Minister of Lorar Nov
    Show
    Armor Class 11 (leather armor)
    HP 13 (3d8)
    Speed 25 ft
    Str 10 (+0), Dex 11 (+0), Con 10 (+0)
    Int 14 (+2), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 11 (+0)
    Skills Deception +2, History +4, Insight +3, Persuasion +2
    Senses darkvision 60 ft, passive Perception 11
    Languages Gnomish, Smigrin; can speak with Small and Tiny beasts
    CR 1/8 (25 XP)
    Gnome Cunning. The minister has advantage on Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma saves against magic.
    Innate Spellcasting. The minister's spellcasting ability is Intelligence (spell save DC 12, +4 to hit with spell attacks). He can innately cast the following spell, requiring no material components:
    Actions
    Club (melee 5 ft) +2: 1d4 bludgeoning
    Last edited by Draz74; 2019-10-10 at 07:56 AM.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

7. - Top - End - #7

Overview of Religion

Viryan Faith

The most widespread and powerful religion in Ferkathas, Viryanism is really more of a meta-religion. It always believes in a pantheon of gods with set portfolios, but most details about those gods vary drastically from culture to culture, congregation to congregation, and preacher to preacher.

What are the exact best mortal words to describe each god's portfolio? Which of those gods is or should be most prominent? Are they male, female, or neither? What is the nature of their relationships with each other, and do they cooperate more or conflict with each other more? What behavior do they expect from good worshipers? These are all questions that are subject to a Viryanist's interpretation, and all interpretations may be valid in some way: as far as objective theologians have been able to determine, the Viryan gods exist, but are empowered by their worshipers, and their capabilities and personalities shift depending on the brand of belief in them that is at hand.

What are the portfolios of the Viryan pantheon? I'm still figuring that out, and would love input. I was originally thinking there would be five gods, but I've realized there's no real need for that to be the case; I'll adjust the number in the pantheon if I find a good "set" of world-spanning portfolios. Portfolios should be broad and morally open to interpretation. (Few varieties of Viryanism are Evil, but certainly it spans all Good and Neutral alignments.) Maybe something like (1) Light & Shadow, (2) Conflict, (3) Change, (4) Habit, and (5) The Unknown.

A Cleric of ANY Domain should be able to follow Viryanism, although some may be harder to justify than others using the portfolios I've spelled out above. (Nothing seems particularly conducive to Forge or Tempest, for example... And I think that's ok.)

Some form of Viryanism can be found prominently among most human civilizations. It is the state religion of the Smigrin Empire, notably. To the joy of Viryan supremacists, when Damaset was discovered a few decades ago, the Akhoran people there were also found mostly practicing Viryanism -- in their minds, this proves the innate validity of their formerly human-centric gods.

Viryan Variations

The Church of Nakhann Wisdom is, in simplistic terms, the evil, tyrannical version of Viryanism. It's a pretty major deviation from other branches of the faith: it reduces the number of gods prominent in the pantheon to three. "Order," "Cunning," and "Tenacity" (which are nice words. A more honest presentation of the religion would probably be something like "Tyranny," "Ruthlessness," and "War," respectively). Nakhann is the name of the god of "Order" himself. Legends of who he is and where he came from vary widely.

Strength is the supreme virtue to the Nakhann Church, which acts as a vessel used to rationalize and justify oppression, prejudice, and corruption. It is the state religion of the world's largest civilization, the orc-ruled empire of Ragesia; the human nation of Nysyb; and the hobgoblin nation of Risfvor. It is an interesting question whether these three nations, if they weren't so geographically disparate, would have some kind of kinship to each other due to their common beliefs, despite their racial diversity. Probably not.

Nakhann Clerics can easily be of the Order, Trickery, or War domains. The availability of other domains is subject to the DM.

Baldreic Religions

The Baldreic Church. The world's main monotheistic religion is also the one that reveres a former-mortal, Balder or Baldrei, who ascended from humanity to godhood when he survived absorbing a planar touchstone's power. Baldreism is fiercely focused on the conflict between good and evil in the multiverse, and preaches that other religions don't emphasize the importance of Good enough. It is demanding of strict moral character from its followers. Sometimes followers of the Baldreic Church drift into self-righteousness or overzealous crusades.

The Baldreic Church preaches that their are five aspects or virtues of the god Baldrei: (1) Courage & Valor, (2) Compassion & Mercy, (3) Light & Purity, (4) Justice & Order, and (5) Truth & Honor. With these in mind, it is easy to see that Baldreic Clerics could have the Order, Light, Life, or War domains. Note that many of the world's Devotion Paladins are also Baldreic in allegiance.

Seven geographically-diverse centers of power govern the Church equally. These include the city-state Brindol in Liassang; Bresk in Dassen in Liassang; Juagarn in Kalitbel in Rakia; Ganthakun in the Smigrin Empire in Timir; Kartekus in the Tanutt Mountains in Timir; the island city-state Ladaru in the Jalut Sea; and the newly-founded church in Westbound, on the coast of Damaset.

The Moradic Church. A dwarven branch of the Baldreic Church, Moradism maintains that Baldrei should share his worship with Moradin, a god of Earth and forger of the dwarven race, and to a lesser extent Ghaggin, their name for the Viryan god of Conflict or War.

Moradic Clerics usually have the Forge, Order, or War domains, but they could also get away with Light, Life, or maybe Nature.

This religion is prominent wherever there is a sizable dwarven population: Kartekus in the Tanutt Mountains of Timir; Ustuntt in Hatine in Rakia; the Hammerfist Holds in the Brown Hills and Wyvernwatch Mountains of Liassang; and Dassen in Eastern Liassang.

Druidic Religions

The Circle of the Green Rhythm is the mainstream druidic religion among humans. An animist religion, it preaches that there are innumerable "gods" or spirits of individual animals, plants, geographic features such as rivers and mountains, weather patterns such as storms, and one's own ancestors, as well as the overarching Earth and Sky gods.

How much the Green Rhythm focuses on moral behavior is dependent on the individual preacher and practitioner. Those who emphasize Good behavior say that being in harmony with the natural world helps an individual have a clear state of mind and a balanced set of priorities, which will give them willpower to be Good. But there are many neutral Rhythmists who don't say much about individual moral behavior, only that revering nature spirits is Right or will earn Blessings of Power.

The Circle has no geographic center; its leaders, the hierophant council, are wanderers. Generally, though, the religion is not prominent in large cities, but in farmlands and wildernesses. It is especially strong among the Stout Halflings of Marilsa in northern Timir.

Clerics of the Circle exist, and generally have the Nature or Tempest Domains, but they are far rarer within the religion than Druids and cannot become part of the hierophant council.

The Selyrri Philosophy is a different branch of druidism that does not recognize the authority of the hierophants. The religion of many fae and wood elves, and even a few genies, it teaches that Magic is also part of Nature. Selyrri followers are particularly fond of the moons and stars, twilight and shadows.

The religion is led by the Selyrri Court, a body of archfae in the Faewild who are nigh-worshiped themselves.

Selyrri Clerics and Druids both exist, and Clerics are most likely to have the Arcana, Life, Light, Nature, or Trickery Domains.

The Order of the Twelve Visions is yet another branch of druidic faith. It claims to be the oldest religion, and certainly its scriptures are ancient -- quite possibly predating the existence of humanity.

The Creation of Ferkathas, and connection with the Four Elemental Planes, are heavily emphasized in the Twelve Visions and the Order's modern teachings. There is little guidance in the religion about individual behavior; the Order itself is amoral, and there have been many unfortunate incidents where Druids or other groups claiming authority from the Visions have formed small cults bent on destruction of civilization, trying to "return Ferkathas to its fundamental state."

Small cultish groups aside, this is not a prominent religion among humans, or other humanoids other than genasi. It is the dominant religion of genies and sphinx, who mostly reside in the region East Rakia-Jaw in Rakia.

If a Cleric of the Twelve Visions adventurer exists at all, they are likely to have the Nature or Tempest Domain.

Distinctly Nonhuman Religions

Iodism, the great Draconic tradition, is a somewhat secret religion -- humanoids (other than Dragonborn) asking to learn more about it are generally told "It's too ancient and complicated for you, don't bother." Even Dragonborn, although they are encouraged to venerate Iodic deities, are discouraged from becoming Clerics of the religion and afforded no authority within the religion even if they do. This is a religion in which Dragons are irreparably superior to humanoids.

It is indeed a complicated religion (grand, imposing, imperious, a bit narcissistic), encompassing the rules of Xorvintaal, the Great Game that governs dragons' social status. The little that humanoids have managed to grasp of the religion includes the existence of the deities Bahamut, Tiamat, and Ioun.

The center of Iodism is, naturally, in Elmengoth, the ancestral land of the dragons. Iodic Clerics, such as they are, could easily have the Arcana, Knowledge, Life, Trickery, or War Domain.

Keoghnanism is an ancient monotheistic religion venerating Heat and The Sun. Most of its followers are gnolls, which means the religion went nearly extinct on the Prime Plane during the gnolls' exile, and has recently returned along with Neo-Gnolls. This worship is, like the Neo-Gnolls, centered in Undjaskla Pike in Timir. (A few genies and sphinx, in East Rakia-Jaw, also follow the god Keoghnan.)

Keoghnan Clerics usually have the Light or War Domain.

Cults

Cults of Thanoc. Thanoc is a mad, bloodthirsty demon prince, bound by a number of goodly powers in the Far Realm in an effort to limit his influence in the multiverse as much as possible -- but somehow he's still getting through occasionally, inspiring a small number of people at a time to go mad and start killing whomever they can. This happens unpredictably, so it's hard to prevent. Clerics of Thanoc are always atypical, regardless of their Domain.

Cults of the Specter. Another unabashedly evil affiliation, the Cults of the Specter are saner but almost as likely as Thanoc cults to be exterminated "on sight." These cults may venerate a number of different fiendish entities, but the gist of their belief is that Death must be avoided at all costs (although killing others is fine). Seeking Undeath is their main means of avoiding death. They also tend to create a lot of undead in their processes. This is where Death Domain Clerics may be found.

The Zurvan Way is treated as a cult when openly organized as a religion, but often gets away with being tolerated or even celebrated when masquerading as areligious entertainment. Basically this is the religion of outright hedonism and pleasure: drugs, gluttony, promiscuity, laziness, etc. Most of its priests are in it for the money, although some of them are actually loyal to the demon princess Zurva.

Zurvan allegiance can be found in any large cluster of civilization, but it is especially common among the Fae, in the "party city" of Vyt-de-Kuashon on the northwestern coast of Liassang, and among the Orcs of Ragesia.

The Grasping Creed, popular among pirates and adventurers and pretty much no one else, is a loose moral code of conduct that pays lip service to the roguish goddess Oshoni. Her portfolio is "fortune," in three senses of the word: destiny, luck, and money. Even adventuring groups that despise the Creed as a religion (and are affiliated with other religions) tend to follow its guidelines about dividing their profit between themselves; doing so fairly is one of the Creed's main strictures.

The center of Oshoni worship is in Zaravis, the pirate city on the coast of the Rakloro Sea in Rakia. Clerics of the Creed tend to have the Trickery Domain.

Two Miscellaneous Religions

The Orothic Order is a stubbornly passive (or passive-aggressive), monastic religion, focused on enduring hardships and embracing change. It worships "the Time-Mother," who is a rather distant deity. Having a long-term perspective is the greatest virtue to this religion -- but they tend to interpret that in a way that makes them rather virtuous individuals, if not particularly personable.

Orothic Scripture is a constantly-evolving series of wise men's teachings; focusing on contradictions in their teachings is taboo, as is focusing on them as individuals separate from their teachings.

Orothic Worship is centered in the Quoon Plateau in the Tanutt Mountains of Timir, a cold and austere region. Indeed, the religion is the government of the largest town in Quoon, Oldst. Knowledge is the most likely domain for Orothic Clerics, who are less numerous than Orothic Monks.

The Daelist Way is a young religion originating among the forest gnomes of Lorar Nov in the south of the Smigrin Empire in Timir, and widely considered "a gnomish religion." It is Deist; it teaches that the "true" gods, mightier than those of other religions, formed the world and then became distant, taking a hands-off approach to the workings of history. However, in spite of lack of accountability to these "true gods," moral behavior is strongly encouraged.

The virtues of Daelism are "Wisdom, Swiftness, Rhythm, and Cheer," as their catchphrase goes. To expound a bit, those might be more precisely described as (1) integrity, (2) proactivity, (3) balance and moderation, and (4) optimism and empathy, respectively.

Daelist Clerics are atypical no matter what their Domain, as they don't venerate any particular deity that could be so involved in the world as to grant them magical powers.

Amalgamation Religions

The Sublime Light is a grass-roots religion that combines the animist, nature-centric ideas of the Circle of the Green Rhythm with the bold moralism of the Baldreic Church. This produces a peaceful, compassionate philosophy.

Both of its parent religions frown on this merging of their ideas, officially. A few Druids of the Circle or Clerics of the Church are sympathetic to the movement, but aren't going to make it far in their respective hierarchies if they make this sympathy publicly known.

For a grass-roots entity, this movement is surprisingly widespread across the Firmwold, to the dismay of its would-be persecutors. It is probably strongest, however, in the Forgotten Kingdoms in central Liassang.

Finally, The Mysteries is a catch-all term for the other religions of the world, which tend to be a superstitious merger of Viryan, Green Rhythm, Twelve Visions, and Zurvan ideas. This is the dominant style of faith for "savage" humanoids that are not mentioned as having any strong affiliations to other religions, as well as the Lightfoot Halfling river-folk of northern Liassang.
    Last edited by Draz74; 2019-10-10 at 12:54 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Unless I get some discussion going on here, I may move my uploading of Ferkathas content to WorldAnvil.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note: