New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default His Dark Materials: The Series

I'm not sure if there's been a thread on this, but the first trailer just dropped, so I figured I'd make one.

Overall, I'm impressed by the trailer. Production values seem high across the board (the bears and daemons both look good, as do many of the sets), they've got a nice stable of capable actors carrying the leads, and from what I can tell, the series will hew much more closely to the plot of the book than the movie ever did. The only significant plot element that doesn't appear in the trailer in some form are the witches, but they're pretty minor overall. (I believe it was confirmed in an interview that the daemons can talk in the series, even though it's not shown here.)

I'm curious how much Lee Scoresby's role will be increased for the series, since the trailer seems to indicate as much (unless the advertising is just coasting on Manuel-Miranda's star power, which is a possibility). He wasn't really a major part in the novel, though I woudn't mind seeing more of him.

Anyone else have thoughts?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: His Dark Materials: The Series

I'd made a thread for the teaser, but I'm pretty sure it would be thread necromancy if you'd revived it.

I liked the books, liked the movie and I'm really looking forward to the series. I hope it does well enough to adapt everything.

I'm very curious how they're gonna deal with books 2 and 3. They had some changes in the scenery that would be very... interesting to show on TV.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

It seems like it's onto a good start so far.

I'll admit I've never read the rest of the trilogy, though the first novel works well enough as a standalone story. I'll get around to those at some point, probably.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Really looking forward to it, what a wonderful series of novels. And the second trilogy is underway, I can't wait to meet Lyra again in The Secret Commonwealth.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

5. - Top - End - #5

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KatsOfLoathing View Post
    It seems like it's onto a good start so far.

I'll admit I've never read the rest of the trilogy, though the first novel works well enough as a standalone story. I'll get around to those at some point, probably.
    I read them, and honestly aside from elephants that evolved wheels and one character being a disillusioned nun who pauses everything to go on a multi-page rant about the Catholic church I honestly don't remember a single thing that happened in them.
    Now with half the calories!

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by The New Bruceski View Post
    I read them, and honestly aside from elephants that evolved wheels and one character being a disillusioned nun who pauses everything to go on a multi-page rant about the Catholic church I honestly don't remember a single thing that happened in them.
    Not even Will and his knife?
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

7. - Top - End - #7

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Clertar View Post
    Not even Will and his knife?
    Nope, that conjures nothing in my mind more than "there was a knife that did something."
    Now with half the calories!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The New Bruceski View Post
    Nope, that conjures nothing in my mind more than "there was a knife that did something."
    Well it was subtle.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

9. - Top - End - #9

Based on that preview, it looks like they're gonna have all the big scenes from the first book. I hope they do it better than that old movie, but it's too early to call.

If the golden monkey gets named, I'm not gonna be especially surprised.