New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Villainous Competition XXXIV: Sword and Board

So... We doing the reveal?
    Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Honestly the fastest way to make a paladin fall is to cast the grease spell or to trip the paladin.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

We had a few people signing up to judge. I was gonna wait to reply to judging until we had more than one, but if another one isn't coming, reveal is fine too.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    We had a few people signing up to judge. I was gonna wait to reply to judging until we had more than one, but if another one isn't coming, reveal is fine too.
    I mean, if they at least confirm their presence now, I'd be okay with waiting.
    Honestly the fastest way to make a paladin fall is to cast the grease spell or to trip the paladin.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

and the disputes have begun:

Quote Originally Posted by the sword master
    Sorry. Entry was a bit last-minute, as I'm sure is discernible from the ruined formatting of the later half, but I should have included Past Life in the DMG II section of the sources. It's in the same section as Prodigy.

It's not a feat, incidentally, which is why it features in the Advancement column instead of the Feats one. More of a pseudo-template.

Quote Originally Posted by Severus, Knight of Ghostly Thorns
    Short dispute here.

You mention that Severus could easily become just “that spooky enemy we fought once”, but he’s really designed to be a recurring antagonist. That’s the real draw of ghost, here: every time you die you get a roll to straight up return to life (well, undeath) a few days later. Once you reach CR17 it becomes literally impossible to fail that roll, meaning the PCs are required to figure out your backstory and unfinished business to be permanently rid of you (or diplomacy their way out of being your enemy, which has much the same result as far as having to understand and interact with the character). Even in the worst case scenario of failing your very first rejuvenation roll, the players still must have fought you at least twice (once to kill you the first time, and once after you come back as a ghost).
    Last edited by jdizzlean; 2019-11-24 at 10:23 PM. Reason: name fix
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by jdizzlean View Post
    and the disputes have begun:
    Are those quoted names right? Doesn't look like they are...

6. - Top - End - #156

DruidGuy

fixed, that was my bad. that's what i get for posting that after i got home from a long day
    Show

I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground

I got distracted by Iron Chef. I've made it through a preliminary readthrough, finally. I see we've already got a judge in. I've been a pretty slow judge in the past, but maybe the criteria I set would make this time go more smoothly if people are really clamoring for a second opinion.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

8. - Top - End - #158
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Originally Posted by the sword master
    Sorry. Entry was a bit last-minute, as I'm sure is discernible from the ruined formatting of the later half, but I should have included Past Life in the DMG II section of the sources. It's in the same section as Prodigy.

It's not a feat, incidentally, which is why it features in the Advancement column instead of the Feats one. More of a pseudo-template.
    Found it. Took some searching. I don't have the time right this moment, but I'll put a score up at the very latest tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Severus, Knight of Ghostly Thorns
    Short dispute here.

You mention that Severus could easily become just “that spooky enemy we fought once”, but he’s really designed to be a recurring antagonist. That’s the real draw of ghost, here: every time you die you get a roll to straight up return to life (well, undeath) a few days later. Once you reach CR17 it becomes literally impossible to fail that roll, meaning the PCs are required to figure out your backstory and unfinished business to be permanently rid of you (or diplomacy their way out of being your enemy, which has much the same result as far as having to understand and interact with the character). Even in the worst case scenario of failing your very first rejuvenation roll, the players still must have fought you at least twice (once to kill you the first time, and once after you come back as a ghost).
    I don't disagree with you, espeically since you do get the rejuvenation roll. Again, I do feel that this depends upon the framing. If this foe is in an undead focused campaign and the players know it, I have never experienced a game where someone didn't play a cleric/Radiant Servant and just destroyed undead all day long. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if Severus is destroyed via a greater turning, I don't believe they get the option to rejuvinate. If this isn't the case and the only way to actually end the foe is to interact in a non-combative way, that certainly should increase the memorability. How much I'm not entirely sure since CR 17 is quite late in a campaign and I'm not entirely sure that Severus is punchy enough for the party to go out of their way to be concerned with him occasionally popping back up. If Greater Turning doesn't prevent rejuvination, I'll consider awarding more points, but as it stands ghosts are pretty easily countered by clerics.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WhamBamSam View Post
    I got distracted by Iron Chef. I've made it through a preliminary readthrough, finally. I see we've already got a judge in. I've been a pretty slow judge in the past, but maybe the criteria I set would make this time go more smoothly if people are really clamoring for a second opinion.
    I doubt any of us entrants would mind knowing that yet another person had carefully read through and evaluate the submissions we so lovingly crafted.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Really like these builds; good job folks who got theirs in! I personally got discouraged then distracted in my build and thus didn't finish a submission. I was working on a Multiheaded, Abberant Limbs Warforged Juggernaut/Forsaker, but couldn't fit in everything I wanted, and ended up with really low HD. Maybe next time I'll have better luck!

11. - Top - End - #161

DruidGuy

not sure if this was meant to be included in the original dispute, or if this is a rebuttal... i'm brain dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Severus, Knight of Thorns
    Greater Turning "destroys" an undead, and while there's no mention of how this interacts with ghosts' Rejuvenation, the exact wording of Rejuvenation suggests they return to undeath just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    The "destroyed" spirit will often restore itself in 2d4 days. Even the most powerful spells are usually only temporary solutions.
    Greater Turning does have a decent chance of ruining Severus' day, even with his Turn Resistance and Cha damaging gaze attack, but it's a pretty specific build that can use it more than once per day (or even at all, for that matter), and Severus doesn't have to be part of an undead heavy campaign that would encourage such a build.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Any word on the dispute(s) and/or possible additional judge?
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

13. - Top - End - #163

DruidGuy

i've no word on either front
    Show

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

This is weird.

15. - Top - End - #165

DruidGuy

i'm inclined to give it until wed or thurs next week at the very latest, and then just close the round and move on.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

While we're waiting, I'd like to throw in a vote for an upcoming round: Humanoid only - must have the humanoid type. Still leaves room for funky templates and stuff that don't change type.

You could go for a straight Human Wizard 20, or you could go for some weird template combo...

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    While we're waiting, I'd like to throw in a vote for an upcoming round: Humanoid only - must have the humanoid type. Still leaves room for funky templates and stuff that don't change type.

You could go for a straight Human Wizard 20, or you could go for some weird template combo...
    Probably need the restriction that the Human Heritage feat is off limits. That would be too easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

18. - Top - End - #168

DruidGuy

apologies on the delay. the family conspired to give me the plague. I've spent the last week in bed, and doing tables on mobile is impossible. soon as i can stand to sit in front of the computer for long enough to do the reveal, it'll be done
    Show

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

Best Wishes!

Something similar happened to me a few weeks ago.
    Shucks.
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

20. - Top - End - #170

DruidGuy

Entry Competitor Description Score 1 Total Placing
    Karate Kitty 16.5 16.5 Gold
    Azm 16.5 16.5 Gold
    Severus, Knight of Ghostly Thorns 15.5 15.5 Bronze
    Eve 15 15 4th
    Amorph Prime 15 15 4th
    Sword Master - - Disqualified

Seems our judge got distracted from finishing up, so we'll leave it w/ the initial scoring and move one.

congrats to all, i'll have the next round up later tonight or in the morning
    Last edited by jdizzlean; 2019-12-26 at 01:44 PM.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

NontheistCleric, I really enjoyed your fluff and write-up. Force Golem Three! That had quite some epic flair

Congrats to all participants, it was a bunch of very different builds all around :)
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Well, it's a damn shame for NontheisticCleric's entry to stay in judging limbo, since that dispute was granted, and just needed to be scored. Seems AnimeTheCat didn't log in at all in the last few weeks, so I guess we'll have to wait and see if he comes back to score it, just for completion's sake.

I had some disputes as well to settle, but I thought it was petty to try and do that while tied for gold, so those are gonna remain as a draft in my VC entries folder.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    NontheistCleric, I really enjoyed your fluff and write-up. Force Golem Three! That had quite some epic flair
    Thank you! I probably spend more time on the fluff than anything else in my entries, so that really makes up for any disappointment I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterKaws View Post
    I had some disputes as well to settle, but I thought it was petty to try and do that while tied for gold, so those are gonna remain as a draft in my VC entries folder.
    Well, if there was a real issue with the judging, I personally wouldn't call that petty. After all, it is a competition.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

I had disputes as well, but wanted to wait for a second judge to write em up, partially cuz efficiency, partially cuz they amountee to difference of opinion. The lesser issue was clearing up how Split works: namely that, while yes Splitting the target ooze would have that Ooze at half HP, the total HP of oozes that needs dealing skth remains the same - if the hit split it, it didn't hurt it, so the total HP is odentical, all that's changed is you wasted your turn giving the enemy more actions to work with. The "difference of opinion issue was the judge purporting that I could only Fly once a day for a minute, which is sort of true but sort of not: if I split before using, both uses now have a use. Using Splitting to get around this issue is prolly a little co troversial, though, and given that our one judge was already pretty judgy about using Su abilities at all whatsoever anyway, it felt more prudent to wait for a second judge or to jist not bother more wordy versions of what I've said here.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    our one judge was already pretty judgy about using Su abilities at all whatsoever anyway
    I actually found it very interesting how there seem to have been two strongly opposed views on Su abilities as a result of this round's restrictions, and even more so that our single judge would fall on the opposite side of the fence from literally every contestant.

Since this round is officially concluded, I suppose it can now be asked: Chairman, what was the actual 'RAI' of not including Su abilities in the restrictions? Was it, as seems to have been taken by us entrants, simply a way of encouraging more creative ways of introducing magical elements to 'Sword and Board' villains, or was it, as AnimeTheCat took it, an oversight in an attempt to completely eliminate any kind of supernatural aspects from this round's entries?

26. - Top - End - #176

DruidGuy

the "vision" was to have a completely mundane villain from my perspective. having magical abilities that are su or ex instead of spell/psi like was a clever workaround for sure, but still would've been a ding from me had i been judging. that was my initial thought process on the round as a whole.
    Show