New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default The Snarl and the dark one

So first off, I'm on my phone and am unable to type like I'd want. Second, I thought the snarl didnt have any purple? Like Dark One purple? But in this page the snarl has purple? Did I miss something? http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0945.html

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Default Re: The Snarl and the dark one

Those colors in the snarl aren't the colors of the quiddities it was made of. Look at the crayon drawings, http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0274.html you can see that the snarl looks blue red and purple there as well. Similarly, the OoTS world contains colors other than red, blue and yellow despite being made out of those quiddities.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by grandpheonix View Post
    So first off, I'm on my phone and am unable to type like I'd want. Second, I thought the snarl didnt have any purple? Like Dark One purple? But in this page the snarl has purple? Did I miss something? http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0945.html
    Quiddities aren't literally colors (and frankly, I like the term "essence" better, since it is more directly relatable). It's just how we see their divine essences.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

As colors run together it all turns brown and then black.

Besides, as others pointed out; our poor mortal brains struggle to comprehend what we are seeing. The gods are composed of colored essence and everything they make can be any color. On purpose or not the Snarl is a made thing; unless it has ascended into a multi colored god...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Alcore View Post
    As colors run together it all turns brown and then black.
    Unless we are talking about light spectrum... then, that's all white.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

These threads are giving me flashbacks to when someone asked on twitter "So what are these things possessing the dwarves? Demons, or what?" When it says in panel that they are vampires
    Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.
    Amazing Avatar by Smutmulch

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus_Maximus View Post
    These threads are giving me flashbacks to when someone asked on twitter "So what are these things possessing the dwarves? Demons, or what?" When it says in panel that they are vampires
    I really need to see how that happened.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I really need to see how that happened.
    Here it is, from Valentine's Day last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.
    Amazing Avatar by Smutmulch

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus_Maximus View Post
    You're being a bit unfair, the poster was thinking vampire was the result of a pre-existing spirit possessing a corpse and chaining the host's soul and so asking what those spirits were. Or at least that's how I read it. Of course, the fact that the spirits were created by Hel to fit the hosts was already established so that's still having missed something but that's not as bad as it looks.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    You're being a bit unfair, the poster was thinking vampire was the result of a pre-existing spirit possessing a corpse and chaining the host's soul and so asking what those spirits were. Or at least that's how I read it. Of course, the fact that the spirits were created by Hel to fit the hosts was already established so that's still having missed something but that's not as bad as it looks.
    If someone's going by folklore rather than D&D Lore (which delineates demons and undead clearly (at least in 3.5 (at least, in 3.5 core (at least, most of the time)))), its an easy mistake to make.

11. - Top - End - #11

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Alcore View Post
    The gods are composed of colored essence and everything they make can be any color. On purpose or not the Snarl is a made thing; unless it has ascended into a multi colored god...
    Even if the Snarl itself became a godlike being, it still doesn't change the fact that quiddity colour is different from physical (for lack of a better word) colour. Thor and Loki are not entirely yellow, just their divine auras are. We never see such an aura coming from the Snarl (or from mortal beings, for that matter), but if we did, it would probably be a composite red/yellow/green/blue aura (minus green for the mortals).
    Last edited by Roland Itiative; 2019-10-13 at 03:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stricken View Post
    I tip my hat to you, Giant. For every person who rules-nitpicks you, there are bound to be ten times as many fans who are just blown away by how excellent your storytelling is.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Itiative View Post
    Even if the Snarl itself became a godlike being, it still doesn't change the fact that quiddity colour is different from physical (for lack of a better word) colour. Thor and Loki are not entirely yellow, just their divine auras are. We never see such an aura coming from the Snarl (or from mortal beings, for that matter), but if we did, it would probably be a composite red/yellow/green/blue aura (minus green for the mortals).
    Yep, exactly as i said :)