The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Attack of the Swarm. Episode # 1 Fate of the Fifth [OOC]

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Prime View Post
    I'm a little confused, the 5th uses the standard SDF salute, which, as a member of the 5th you would be using too?
    I made valiant did the Larkisonís salute? The Larkisonís always serve the SDF. So by my side/valiants we think itís says we will give our all to a cause. Since itís the first time meeting his troop leader he thought of paying more respect and showing devotion to the cause. (He has to collect at least 100 swarm lives for his father.)

I think since Jaldamarrak served under his father he would have some inkling of how crazy/devoted Larkisonís are to their beliefs/cause?

(The salute is right hand in a fist over your heart. Left hand in a military salute. Then you drop your left palm onto your right fist over the heart and do a bow. Stands for ĎMy mind, My heart, is here to serve.í)

Edit: Valiant is a bit prideful about his family. Kinda has a reason for it. Just thought it would make sense giving his backstory?
    Last edited by ~Siegfried~; 2019-10-14 at 06:18 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Can I make a Profession (Mercenary) check to know details of the camp's leadership, or will only Soldier do?

I'll get an IC post together soon (just got home from work), but I'm going to assume that Valiant basically burst into the command tent immediately? The opening post reads that things pick up in a quiet moment outside the tent.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry, Mercenary works too. Yes, Valiant ignored the squad and plunged right in.

4. - Top - End - #34

NecromancerGuy

Yep since he had the go ahead that they were supposed to go in he thought he should report to the chain of command. Since thatís more important then small talk (He is very straightforward, my apologies)

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

My post is up.

Katara, surprisingly, crushed her Profession check, so she likely knows quite a bit about our capable leaders.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by ~Siegfried~ View Post
    Ooooh did rainca copy Valiants military salute? O.o if so conflict already xD.

Copying someoneís house salute without permission/their respect in an active military setting when one is present oh boy. The sly disrespect might be interesting. Especially since his father died early on.

So did she? Lol there was two humans I think she did valiants but not 100% sure.

If not awwww. Would have been fun him giving her a cold shoulder.

Edit: kinda excited hoping thatís the case lol.
    We've been in this situation for a few months now I think. She would've probably have enough training to give a standard SDF salute.
    Characters in play:

7. - Top - End - #37

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BramsesII View Post
    We've been in this situation for a few months now I think. She would've probably have enough training to give a standard SDF salute.
    Awww okay lol

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Don't worry, there'll be enough reason for intra party conflict in the future

Based on military faux-pas from RaŪnca, that is.
    Last edited by BramsesII; 2019-10-15 at 02:05 AM.
    Characters in play:

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Here we go; Ice Hawks ... fall in! You are free to post, thanks for your patience!

Patrol assignment, ask questions, hit the quartermaster for cold weather clothing if you don't have some, and remember your armor has environmental controls.

Now, a quick comment about Military games. There *is* a command structure, and I have nominally placed Valiant as the unit commander, however, he has just been told by a man he respects the pronk out of, that he should listen to his unit for a variety of reasons. So when giving orders, think of Jean Luc Picard, and ask for your squad members thoughts, opinions, or concerns, and take those into consideration. I don't want the military feel I am going for to degrade into one player telling three others what to do. Give open ended orders; Ranica, Katara I need that emplacement taken down, Atrus lets get these civilians under cover! Rather than Ranica, I want you to steller rush target A, while Katara peppers them with grenades, Atricus sneak behind target C, while I shoot D.

General orders allow the players to make their own tactical decisions.

That make sense for everyone?

10. - Top - End - #40

NecromancerGuy

Here we go; Ice Hawks ... fall in! You are free to post, thanks for your patience!

Patrol assignment, ask questions, hit the quartermaster for cold weather clothing if you don't have some, and remember your armor has environmental controls.

Now, a quick comment about Military games. There *is* a command structure, and I have nominally placed Valiant as the unit commander, however, he has just been told by a man he respects the pronk out of, that he should listen to his unit for a variety of reasons. So when giving orders, think of Jean Luc Picard, and ask for your squad members thoughts, opinions, or concerns, and take those into consideration. I don't want the military feel I am going for to degrade into one player telling three others what to do. Give open ended orders; Ranica, Katara I need that emplacement taken down, Atrus lets get these civilians under cover! Rather than Ranica, I want you to steller rush target A, while Katara peppers them with grenades, Atricus sneak behind target C, while I shoot D.

General orders allow the players to make their own tactical decisions.

That make sense for everyone?
    Hmm got it so you want his orders/commands to be open interpreted. I can try to make it work. But need to make him ease into it. Iím sure some of his family members trained him a little bit on it.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Just a reminder for you, please avoid advancing scenes before your fellow players respond. You've asked for information from your commanding officer, but denied him the ability to respond, because you've exited the tent.

And you're currently standing outside addressing a squad that's still inside with your commanding officer, as they still have the opportunity to address any concerns, or ask questions about this particular assignment.

Please do not edit, I want to keep things organized, and for the rest of you ask your questions of Jaldamarrak, and wait for his response, THEN, I'll advance the scene yo the exterior of the tent with Valiant addressing his squad.

12. - Top - End - #42

NecromancerGuy

Just a reminder for you, please avoid advancing scenes before your fellow players respond. You've asked for information from your commanding officer, but denied him the ability to respond, because you've exited the tent.

And you're currently standing outside addressing a squad that's still inside with your commanding officer, as they still have the opportunity to address any concerns, or ask questions about this particular assignment.

Please do not edit, I want to keep things organized, and for the rest of you ask your questions of Jaldamarrak, and wait for his response, THEN, I'll advance the scene yo the exterior of the tent with Valiant addressing his squad.
    No I didnít? After I get the info he leaves? I seperated it with a spoiler? Sorry if I didnít make that clear lol. He waits after he gets the info and is dismissed he leaves. Then waits for the squad the asks. There wouldnít be a reason for him to address nobody? Iíll make that clear next time lol. Sorry I thought it was obvious xD

Edit I thought it would have made it easier rather than waiting for all 4 to respond then you then us make a leaving the tent responses then my second question. I just wanted to merge some posts for the sake of speeding it up a tad.
    Last edited by ~Siegfried~; 2019-10-16 at 12:14 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

The thing is he didn't give you info, you left before he had the opportunity to. And secondly, what if there is an attack while you are still in the tent? So when speaking with an NPC, or PC, try to remember to block the conversation normally, ask for information, wait for a response, then proceed to do what you are going to do with it.

I understand we're all excited to play, but you need to allow the scene to progress organically without jumping it forwards and backwards in time. As I now have to go back in time from where you left off to answer the responses of any other players. So just be aware of it and try to refrain from doing it in future, it muddles the scene.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Bugbear in the Playground

Suddenly! A six foot floating bagel appears out of nowheeerrrrree!!! The cream cheese rolls initiative!!!!
    All Hail Fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    No... no... its... its supposed to be 'then'... NO. DENOMAR OUT. YOU HAVE RUINED EVERYTHING.
    New Sexy Mordrent Avatar via Tiffany Lirle! I bow down to her sense of fun.

15. - Top - End - #45

I am advancing the ooc into absurdity
    All Hail Fun!
    No... no... its... its supposed to be 'then'... NO. DENOMAR OUT. YOU HAVE RUINED EVERYTHING.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

The Commander just used 'zerg' as a verb. This strongly implies that the Pact Worlds have StarCraft, and it's popular enough for a decorated military commander to have slang from it work into his speech.

For some reason, this amuses me.

On-topic, aside from the cold weather gear mentioned earlier as being assigned to us for the mission... I don't suppose there's any chance Katara could weasel the quartermaster in providing her a firearm of some sort? I'm going to assume probably not, considering I made a conscious choice not to start with one, but up against the Swarm there's a lot less chance we'll be able to just grab a rifle from the first group of humanoids we encounter for her to use (as was my original plan when I made her for AtAT). It's not a big deal, especially if we're going to be up against mostly Dredgers who I'd be wanting to engage in melee anyways to keep them off our backline, but Katara would certainly feel better with a gun.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Or Zerg is the Vesk term for the Swarm? Amusing though!

Also you're right on the weapon/sidearm, the Camp currently doesn't have the resources to spare for additional small arms or long arms. That'd feel too much like hand waving a very specific gear choice you made at creation. There will be opportunity in the field, but let's leave it at that.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

RaŪnca is ready to go I guess. She has all the equipment she needs, including cold weather environmental clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Denomar View Post
    I am advancing the ooc into absurdity
    Are you? Or are you reversing the bagel into a microbrewery?
    Characters in play:

19. - Top - End - #49

Quote Originally Posted by BramsesII View Post
    RaŪnca is ready to go I guess. She has all the equipment she needs, including cold weather environmental clothing.

Are you? Or are you reversing the bagel into a microbrewery?
    All Hail Fun!

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

We'll wait on Siegfried's response then I'll advance us towards the patrol.

21. - Top - End - #51

NecromancerGuy

Hope I made him sound indifferent enough. Lol

Also sorry Locke but he didnít know your specialty so he thought you had none thatís why he was disappointed :3

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd go for respect over indifference, nearly everyone in your team has years of experience over you. Let's all get along! :)

Heading out to dinner, I'll have a post up when I get home!

23. - Top - End - #53

Locke is an operative.

His skills are...everything. He just doesn't feel like bragging.
    All Hail Fun!

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

He's not wrong! A quick survey of your group reveals a glaring weakness I was unaware of, Atrus is the ONLY one with Survival, and one of only two people who put ranks into Perception. Ouch!

Also, post up, so let me know what you folks want to do.

25. - Top - End - #55

NecromancerGuy

Can we call Jaldamarrak for back up? Might take a bit to arrive. If not I have other ideas.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't ask, do. If you want to try something post, and attempt it! Nothing's stopping you from getting Camp Cavalier on the horn.

27. - Top - End - #57

NecromancerGuy

Don't ask, do. If you want to try something post, and attempt it! Nothing's stopping you from getting Camp Cavalier on the horn.
    Sorry Iím to use to dming I like compiling a post then posting multiple actions sigh. Weird being a player lol.

28. - Top - End - #58

well there goes all of my luck forever.
    All Hail Fun!

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Holy Frack man! Umm, yeah, LOS be damned, they don't see you! Way to start us off!

30. - Top - End - #60

NecromancerGuy

Denomar thatís both amazing and sad lol double nat 20s