The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 77
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2006

    Default Deep Blue Sea [IC]

    Clang, clang, CRACK! Clang, clang, CRACK!

    The sound of falling hammers striking piton and stone ripples through the water with an odd cadence, distorted but recognizable even in your dreams thanks to endless hours of long exposure.

    You and a hundred others have been hammering away in a miserable canyon as the burbling figures of your captors stand high upon the ledges, gazing down with bulbous clouded eyes and whispered prayers.

    They don't seem to know or care how hard you work, only that you keep moving. Time has lost its meaning in this place, marked only by the passing of three great black ships that sail overhead sounding a cacophony of horns to lie down upon the stone and sleep... or awaken.

    All around you grow wild patches of fungus that poke through cracks in the stone, offering feeble illumination in hues of green and purple... and a taste that was curiously sweet. With each gasp of water you take, you can feel the squirming thing in your chest turning it into useful air.

    Clang, clang, SQUISH!

    The sound was different, and nearby eyes turn towards a sallow looking dwarf with ratty brown hair drifting around his head in a cloud. He draws his piton back, and a trail of rancid mucus stretches down to the surface.

    Beneath his feet the stone was broken, and a sickly brown gnarl of flesh is punctured. There is a moment of confusion upon the face of the dwarf, bald brow furrowing tight, before the mucus races up the piton and digs through flesh of his arm.

    “Ahh, aagggh, w-what in the hells?!”

    His voice carries through the water with crystal clarity, before his wrinkled face becomes a twisted wreck of pain. He gnashes his teeth against the water as his arm turns brown and gnarled as well... and more mucus begins to bubble from the wound in the stone like a putrid oil.

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r0Epmtgb6eE
    Last edited by Incendax; 2019-10-11 at 10:57 AM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    JNAProductions's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Fighting Demons!

    Default Re: Deep Blue Sea [IC]

    Vanessa looks to the dwarf, and back to her spot. She contemplates, just a moment, before dropping the hammer and rushing for him, trying to do what she can to aid him.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

    Current Avatar by Elder Tsofu, who is awesome!

    Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show


    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2016

    Default Re: Deep Blue Sea [IC]

    Orlaf raised his hammer and brought it down swiftly on the piton, driving it swiftly into the face of his captor. At least, that's what he imagined. In truth, he only ever drove into more rock. Rock after rock after rock. But to pass time, he liked to picture the rocks as the faces of his slavers, or the orcs who bested him long ago. It helps.

    The shrieking of a dwarf jolted him out of his absent-minded fantasy and he whipped his head around. The dwarf wasn't terribly far away, just down the line from him. Just then a woman begins running to help the dwarf. Curious to see what happens, Orlaf steps closer to the scene, tools still in his hands.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ramsus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Deep Blue Sea [IC]

    Trembling Leaf on the Wind
    Tabaxi Terror Sorcerer
    AC: 16 HP: 8/8
    PP: 13 PIv: 9 PIs: 13
    Concentrating on: --
    Conditions: --

    Trembling Leaf on the Wind, who had been doing his upmost to look busy while doing as little actual work as possible, jumps at the sudden noise and then again at the screaming. His eyes dart around wildly in panic, but part of him is at least focused enough to use this reaction to see how many of his captors are suitably distracted that he could do something for just a moment without them seeing.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Just throwing out a perception check here in case needed.
    Even if I fail I'd like to at least know how many of our captors are here.

    Perception: (1d20+3)[19]


  5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Kansas City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Deep Blue Sea [IC]

    Naturally observant because an orc who cannot hear must use his eyes or die.

    Atulg turns to see what is going on. Not inclined to help, Atulg remains fixed where he's been working, chipping away at this cursed canyon. Atulg is careful to keep his breathing steady for fear that the mysterious creature in his chest would be upset if Atulg breathed wrong

    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception check: [roll]1d20+1[/roll] dadgum it I forgot you can't roll in edits

    Passive Perception(if applicable): 16
    Last edited by Stone-Ears; 2019-10-11 at 02:47 PM.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Catalonia

    Default Re: Deep Blue Sea [IC]

    Hearing the commotion, Vandas looks up from their work to see the people gathering around the fallen dwarf. Immediately, they put the hammer to their side and rush over. Seeing the oozing substance, the triton opens their senses to the otherwordly.

    Spoiler: Divine Sense
    Show
    I'm trying to see if the ooze is possibly fiendish or undead (unlikely, I know); or if the area is desecrated.


    Spoiler: Do we know the dwarf personally?
    Show
    If so (and if Vandas has time; using divine sense is an action after all):
    Calling the dwarf by name, they rush over, trying to clear the ooze from the fellow prisoner's arm.
    Last edited by BobMacBobson; 2019-10-11 at 03:48 PM.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Vozen's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017

    Default Re: Deep Blue Sea [IC]

    Rhaz of the Sigurth
    Lizardfolk Fighter
    AC: 17 HP: 13/13
    PP: 12 PIv: 9 PIs: 10
    Concentrating on: --
    Conditions: --

    Rhaz had been one of the better workers among the captured. His strong body and hefty endurance kept him going. Still he held back a bit to preserve his energy and pace himself, partly because he owed these bastards nothing and would only work hard enough to make complaining about his work impossible. It was also so if the moment came, he could escape. unlike a lot of the prisoners here he still had a weapon of sorts, jaws that could rip flesh apart and the will to use them. He only needed the opening.

    When the dwarf was attacked, Rhaz's body tensed, and he glanced over at the commotion. He was not yet sure this was his shot to run, or a situation where he had to fight, so he let others take the lead. At the same time, he readied himself to take action the moment he felt it necessary. His natural impulse to jump in was buzzing in the back of his head, but he fought it down. Haste could cost him his only chance.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2006

    Default Re: Deep Blue Sea [IC]

    Vanessa tackles the dwarf with ease, her momentum stretching the trail if mucus to its limit before snapping it with a wet 'pop'. The two of them tumble away from the bubbling pool as he clutches his arm in wide-eyed agony.

    'S-stop it! Make it stop, please! Aagghhk!"

    Even with the tendril severed, she could see the brown gnarled discoloration of his skin traveling further up the arm. She does a quick recollection of natural poisons or venomous creatures and comes up with several - this was spreading like some of the more necrotic ones she had seen.

    Vandas knew the dwarf, but only recently thanks to shared captivity. He was a dour sort as any prisoner had a right to be, but would often humorously speculate about your captors - that one was Bobrick, he had three kids and loved fine wine, etc.

    Trembling Leaf and Atulg both take in their surroundings, and neither fail to notice the way your captors were creeping closer to the edge of the canyon. Their burbling was growing more excited by the moment, and several of them topple to the ground in abject prostration.

    The moment seems to slow to a crawl, as the edge of the canyon buckles outward from an explosion of water pressure. Four of the slimy bastards are blown off, prostrate or otherwise, and sent sailing down into the canyon depths along with several heavy chunks of stone.

    Some of your fellows are crushed before your eyes, literal tons of rocks snuffing them out in a moment. Others stand in shock for a second above the fallen four, and one sour looking old woman raises her hammer down upon a bulbous head with a wet thunk.

    Seconds pass as you all expect retaliation, but the pale white monsters overhead are turning away... Burbling fresh cries of anger and alarm, they face this new threat and fill the water with an inky blackness. The sounds of clashing coral resonate strangely from above, mixing with the writhing cries of the poor dwarf below.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ramsus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Deep Blue Sea [IC]

    Trembling Leaf on the Wind
    Tabaxi Terror Sorcerer
    AC: 16 HP: 8/8
    PP: 13 PIv: 9 PIs: 13
    Concentrating on: --
    Conditions: --

    Trembling Leaf on the Wind, strongly considers just trying to make a run, ugh!, swim for it right now. But doesn't want to risk being the first to attract notice. So instead he looks around to see if there's anything around he can use as a focus for his newly gained magic.
    If he spots one, he immediately goes over to snatch it unless its in the possession of a living creature.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Perception check here in case needed.

    Perception: (1d20+3)[5]


  10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    JNAProductions's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Fighting Demons!

    Default Re: Deep Blue Sea [IC]

    Vanessa grabs a nearby hammer, says I'm sorry, and brings it down, hard, on the dwarf's arm. Without cutting tools, it's the best way to try to amputate the limb.

    She grabs the mangled mess, wincing at hearing the dwarf's cries, and attempts to pull it off cleanly.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

    Current Avatar by Elder Tsofu, who is awesome!

    Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show


    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Catalonia

    Default Re: Deep Blue Sea [IC]

    Vandas swims over to Vanessa and the dwarf, ready to Lay on Hands to staunch the bleeding; hammer in hand, and keeping a weary eye on both their captors as well as the ooze.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2016

    Default Re: Deep Blue Sea [IC]

    Orlaf senses a chance. He hurried over to the now one-armed dwarf and the two other slaves around them.

    “We must not linger here unless you want death by rock. Dwarf, you have a glorious wound. I will help you leave.” Orlaf then motions to the others, “If you can help his injury, I can keep you safe.”

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    JNAProductions's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Fighting Demons!

    Default Re: Deep Blue Sea [IC]

    I'm not a healer, Vanessa replies, I know just enough to know that it can't be allowed to spread. But you're right-we should go, if we ever want to see freedom again.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

    Current Avatar by Elder Tsofu, who is awesome!

    Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show


    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Kansas City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Deep Blue Sea [IC]

    Atulg sees his captors fighting above him, facing the new, yet unknown to Atulg, threat. He sees there are some captors around and rocks falling all over. In the Chaos, there is an opportunity for escape. Atulg scanned the area and looked for his options.


    I gotta get out of here before I wind up like the dead. I'm going to head over to the Dwarf and the others by the exit

    Atulg makes his way to the exit of the canyon to regroup with them. As that seemed to be the best option available to him since a burly looking Goliath was with them. He could probably fight pretty well and that would be key to becoming free.


    Well, that, and access to his magic. The cursed ones took away his magical focus, rendering him unable to cast any of his spells. But Atulg would worry about the focus later

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Catalonia

    Default Re: Deep Blue Sea [IC]

    Vandas straightens their back. "I know some healing, though I'm afraid it's not much." They look over to the dwarf, and put their hands over the wound. "Hold on, friend." Mouthing a short prayer to Melora, they channel divine energy to attempt to alleviate the wound. Looking back up to Vanessa and Orlaf, they nod. "If you're going to make a break for it, I'm with you."
    Last edited by BobMacBobson; 2019-10-14 at 08:53 AM.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2006

    Default Re: Deep Blue Sea [IC]

    Trembling Leaf snaps his gaze around in a frantic search for anything that might help him focus his magic, and something catches his eye - the crashing and shattered rocks have scattered a few lodestones around the impact site!

    Vanessa knows where she needs to strike to remove the arm with the least amount of damage, but doing it herself was a different story. The hammer rises and falls with a sickening crunch, snapping bone but not muscle. It takes several other frantic strikes to pry the meat apart.

    Thankfully Vandas is there with faintly radiant hands, sealing the mangled wound before the dwarf can bleed out into the swirling current. Through the haze of blood, everyone can see the severed hand twitching under its own power like a fish gasping for air.

    The weary one-armed dwarf manages a weak nod towards Orlaf, his face a white sheet through the pain that he barely manages to push through.

    "Aye... a glorious... wound if we can kill a few of them, or... get the hells out of here."

    All around you was chaos - the bubbling wound in the earth seemed to be seething and slowly gushing forth the rancid ooze like a ruptured cyst. Several slaves were gathering around you like sheep, eager to go along with whatever the hulking goliath wanted to do. Many more were rallying around the sour old woman as they kick, punch, and smash at the four fallen captors. Some were just running up the canyon trying to escape.

    The sounds of battle rage overhead, and from the inky blackness the captors created to fight within, a hulking grey shark covered in plates of white bone explodes into sight. Countless teeth gnaw against the flank of a gibbering captor, who buries his coral spear into the sharks eye.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    JNAProductions's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Fighting Demons!

    Default Re: Deep Blue Sea [IC]

    Thank you, Vanessa says, a little squeamish at what she had to just do. We should make haste.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Is there any obvious route to escape from? Or less obvious routes?
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

    Current Avatar by Elder Tsofu, who is awesome!

    Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show


    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2006

    Default Re: Deep Blue Sea [IC]

    The canyon has several tiers where you and the others have been working, almost like an inverted ziggurat. But there were two almost worn-smooth paths on opposite sides of the canyon where large stones could be hauled up and out.

    Most of the time, your captors simply swam down to collect those that stop moving outside of designated sleep periods
    Last edited by Incendax; 2019-10-13 at 04:10 PM.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ramsus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Deep Blue Sea [IC]

    Trembling Leaf on the Wind
    Tabaxi Terror Sorcerer
    AC: 16 HP: 8/8
    PP: 13 PIv: 9 PIs: 13
    Concentrating on: --
    Conditions: --

    Trembling Leaf on the Wind swims over and snatches up several lodestones before just swimming straight to the clearest path out. If the rest of the captives are already heading somewhere, he follows them (trying to neither be in front or in back).

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    JNAProductions's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Fighting Demons!

    Default Re: Deep Blue Sea [IC]

    Quote Originally Posted by Incendax View Post
    The canyon has several tiers where you and the others have been working, almost like an inverted ziggurat. But there were two almost worn-smooth paths on opposite sides of the canyon where large stones could be hauled up and out.

    Most of the time, your captors simply swam down to collect those that stop moving outside of designated sleep periods
    Vanessa starts heading for the nearest path, hoping that the fight above keeps their enslavers too busy to stop them.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

    Current Avatar by Elder Tsofu, who is awesome!

    Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show


    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2016

    Default Re: Deep Blue Sea [IC]

    “Lead, friend, we’ll be close behind. Come, dwarf, let me give you a hand.” Orlaf says in a deep, rumbling voice. Sometimes, he really lacked in social awareness. He reaches out and grabs a handful of the back of the dwarfs tunic, part helping, part dragging him along. “With luck, we won’t have to crush any of these deplorable beings face in...well, maybe I could get to crush in one or two. I’ve been here a long time”

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Orlaf follows Vanessa, helping the dwarf along with one hand and holding his hammer ready in the other.

    A couple of questions occurred typing this post: are we walking on the bottom, limited to movement like we were on land, or swimming? Also, is there a name/nickname for our captors that we would know as slaves?

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2006

    Default Re: Deep Blue Sea [IC]

    The crowd of you make towards one of the sloping entrances into the canyon, to keep a lower profile if nothing else. As you crest the highest tier of the canyon one of your captors seems to pause and peer in your direction with those bulbous and pulsing white eyes... but the looming shadow of a shark forces it to focus on survival.

    The one-armed dwarf is drawn along by Orlaf while others follow in his wake, Leaf keeping to the middle and out of sight. Most of them keep quiet or whisper hissed warnings for others to stay quiet. Some knuckles were pale from how tightly they clutch hammer and piton.

    The top of the canyon opens up into a sight of pitched battle. Two other canyons lie nearby, with similar fights raging along their ledges. Several ratty looking tents made from the leather of... you... are set up around each other near the middle of the carnage. Spears and blades of coral lie temptingly against them, but drawing closer to the battle could prove perilous.

    In the distance you can make out a twisting forest of towering coral illuminated by the softly radiant fungus. Probably where they harvested the materials for weapons and tools. In the other direction was darkness. Not the kind of inky black your captors used, but the looming absence of light that could be bane or boon.
    Last edited by Incendax; 2019-10-15 at 02:53 AM.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ramsus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Deep Blue Sea [IC]

    Trembling Leaf on the Wind
    Tabaxi Terror Sorcerer
    AC: 16 HP: 8/8
    PP: 13 PIv: 9 PIs: 13
    Concentrating on: --
    Conditions: --

    Not really wanting to attract attention to himself by speaking first, but also knowing he'll probably not manage to get a word in before it's too late otherwise, Trembling Leaf on the Wind blurts out, "D-d-does anyone need a l-lodestone? As a... a... magic focus I mean. I........" He pauses for a long moment and then rushes out "have some." and thrusts out the spare lodestones, keeping the one for himself in a pocket.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Catalonia

    Default Re: Deep Blue Sea [IC]

    Vandas shakes their head. "I am not gifted with the arcane arts." They look around, seeing the battle, the tents, the darkness, and the forest. None of the options seemed that tempting. "I believe we could take on a few of our captors, but it seems like there are more than just a few. We should make for the forest, unless one of you can guide us through the dark depths."

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2016

    Default Re: Deep Blue Sea [IC]

    Orlaf eyes the weapons leaning against the tents, seeing a few he would feel comfortable with. "Arming myself with an actual weapon is tempting, but I am hard to miss and we are too many. I think you may be onto the path forward with the forest."
    Last edited by Ricedaddy; 2019-10-15 at 08:21 AM.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Kansas City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Deep Blue Sea [IC]

    Seeing that Trembling Tabaxi with several lodestones for Arcane focus. Atulg grunts and raises his hands for the lodestone. After taking one Atulg looks at the Tabaxi.

    "thank you for your alertness and quick thinking slave brother. In return, while we're getting out of here, I'll do my best to fight by your side."

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    JNAProductions's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Fighting Demons!

    Default Re: Deep Blue Sea [IC]

    Yes please. Thanks, Vanessa says, grabbing the focus from Leaf. And I agree on skipping the weapons, for now-we're in no shape to have a proper fight.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

    Current Avatar by Elder Tsofu, who is awesome!

    Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show


    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ramsus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Deep Blue Sea [IC]

    Trembling Leaf on the Wind
    Tabaxi Terror Sorcerer
    AC: 16 HP: 8/8
    PP: 13 PIv: 9 PIs: 13
    Concentrating on: --
    Conditions: --

    Trembling Leaf on the Wind frowns at being called "slave" without "love" in front of it. "My n-name is" he pauses and takes a deep uncomfortable inhale of breath (blar! water!!!) before continuing. "Trembling Leaf on the Wind. You can c-c-call me Leaf if that's t-too long though."

    Knowing that at least one person would be better off with proper weapons he starts to say, "I mnnnnnnnnnn!" he cuts off as he really doesn't want to be volunteering himself for this but risking himself right now will mean hopefully he can hide behind the others a lot more later. "I... think I can g-g-g-go g-get some..... things from over......" he still has to pause a bit to force out "there." and points at the tents with the weapons and possibly other equipment.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2019-10-15 at 10:56 AM.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    JNAProductions's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Fighting Demons!

    Default Re: Deep Blue Sea [IC]

    Are you sure? Vanessa asks. We can probably find something weaponlike in the forests. I don't want any of us getting hurt if we can avoid it... Or worse...
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

    Current Avatar by Elder Tsofu, who is awesome!

    Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show


    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2016

    Default Re: Deep Blue Sea [IC]

    "Leaf, I am Orlaf. Whether you go or not is up to you. But if you do go, I will follow as close as is safe to not be spotted and will be ready to come and aid you if you are found out. I prefer to fight with blade and shield, but if all they have is something big I can swing that will do too."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •