New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Binding the Snarl with purple quiddty without making the world anew

How does Thor propose to use The Dark One's purple quiddity to bind the Snarl without breaking the world?

Or, does Thor just want this world to last long enough for The Dark One to have sufficient mana to survive the inevitable destruction of this world and to survive to the making of the next world and thus the proper binding of the Snarl with TDO's purple quiddity?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Binding the Snarl with purple quiddty without making the world anew

Thor intends to rebuild/reinforce the Gates with all four divine essences rather than paltry mortal magic. And then to keep patching it up as new rifts appear.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #3

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    How does Thor propose to use The Dark One's purple quiddity to bind the Snarl without breaking the world?

Or, does Thor just want this world to last long enough for The Dark One to have sufficient mana to survive the inevitable destruction of this world and to survive to the making of the next world and thus the proper binding of the Snarl with TDO's purple quiddity?
    He wants to build better seals to any rifts than the mortals could do.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1142.html

Then the snarl won't be able to break through.

Though, it may already have done so:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0945.html

Dun dun dun!

4. - Top - End - #4

PaladinGuy

You know, I see a lot of purple in that last frame.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Throknor View Post
    He wants to build better seals to any rifts than the mortals could do.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1142.html

Then the snarl won't be able to break through.

Though, it may already have done so:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0945.html

Dun dun dun!
    Not necessarily. The Snarl could emerge slowly with time: Think of the rifts as slowly waking him up, but it's not like all five gates break and he emerges immediately: More like every Gate that breaks wakes him up a little more. With this many rifts active, he's rolling around a lot, maybe even waking for a few brief seconds, but he's stuck in bed. With enough rifts, he's able to finally roll out of bed and start going about his day, or, in this metaphor, destroy the world. destroying the final Gate may not immediately wake him up, but it'd be a big enough push to force him into metaphorical-wakefulness, and after that, the end of the world would be a foregone conclusion within maybe a few hours.

6. - Top - End - #6

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    Not necessarily. The Snarl could emerge slowly with time: Think of the rifts as slowly waking him up, but it's not like all five gates break and he emerges immediately: More like every Gate that breaks wakes him up a little more. With this many rifts active, he's rolling around a lot, maybe even waking for a few brief seconds, but he's stuck in bed. With enough rifts, he's able to finally roll out of bed and start going about his day, or, in this metaphor, destroy the world. destroying the final Gate may not immediately wake him up, but it'd be a big enough push to force him into metaphorical-wakefulness, and after that, the end of the world would be a foregone conclusion within maybe a few hours.
    See, I've taken it that the rifts are the places that the Snarl has chipped through. The worlds have been described as analogous to prisons that it is actively attempting to escape from.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

You know, I see a lot of purple in that last frame.
    Which just shows that the Snarl is coloured partially purple, not that it has any purple quiddity. Or do you think that they ought to be able to stop it just using a rainbow, since that has *seven* colours in it and ought to be totes powerful, right?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Which just shows that the Snarl is coloured partially purple, not that it has any purple quiddity. Or do you think that they ought to be able to stop it just using a rainbow, since that has *seven* colours in it and ought to be totes powerful, right?
    Hey, prismatic sphere is valid for permanency; maybe Dorukan tried to seal the rifts that way, before finding something that actually worked!
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    There's also that all depictions of the Snarl have been many shades of purple- no trace of the Yellow and Green that made it up besides the Red and Blue that might mix to make Purple. Plus, are all things made of a quiddity that combination of colors?

EDIT: Not to mention, that even if the Snarl had Purple quiddity, that wouldn't help against a 4 color seal since the Snarl is still only 4 colors
    Last edited by Gluteus_Maximus; 2019-10-11 at 08:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.
    Amazing Avatar by Smutmulch

10. - Top - End - #10

PaladinGuy

What if TDO is actually, secretly, a manifestation of the Snarl?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

What if TDO is actually, secretly, a manifestation of the Snarl?
    Because he's purple?
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

The Dark One is Redcloak’s niece.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

13. - Top - End - #13

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Because he's purple?
    Isn't that quidditist?
    I mean, clearly Durkon is the Uber-Snarl, having white quiddity which can only come from combining all colours. Speaking of colours, I forgot how to write in sarcastic blue for this post.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    Isn't that quidditist?
    I mean, clearly Durkon is the Uber-Snarl, having white quiddity which can only come from combining all colours. Speaking of colours, I forgot how to write in sarcastic blue for this post.
    It's because you aren't one of the southern gods with their blue quiddities.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

15. - Top - End - #15

He said they could spot weld the rifts forever. I imagine since he basically said the gods would handle the actual sealing, it won't leave behind a gate that can be broken, it'll just be a location in the world where a rift will never form again but is otherwise indistinguishable from the rest of reality to mortals.
    Last edited by RatElemental; 2019-10-14 at 06:00 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    Isn't that quidditist?
    I'm actually half-convinced that Rich, when he was writing the outline of the story and decided the Quiddities thing would be a plot point, he thought of the idea as a result of the whole "color-coded magic" thing the comic's been doing since day 1. I don't think there's any link there in-universe, but I think, on a meta level, that's what led him to get the idea.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

The Dark One is Redcloak’s niece.
    and they're both the Monster in the Darkness
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.