New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default What Would YOU Build with These Stats? (Pathfinder)

My recent idea for a Dex based barb/rogue might not happen. I'm limited to classes/archetypes from the Pathfinder Core Rulebook, so what would you build out of the Core Rulebook with these stats (I have access to Races from Advanced Race Guide)? Druids are out because of setting. For stats my DM gave us 84 points to spread out like we want, which averages to a 14 in every stat.

You've got free reign to modify them between 8-18 each before racial mods. Have fun! What would you build if you had this kind of freedom over your stats and race?
    Last edited by DrowPiratRobrts; 2019-10-11 at 11:57 AM.
    ~Toggle Yer Crouch~

Kobold Finesse Barbarian Guide A fun, very viable build for a Barbarian.

Quote Originally Posted by TyGuy View Post
    ...I've seen a fair amount of granola tree huggers play druids.
    And warlocks & rogues are a magnet for borderline sociopaths.
    Spoiler: Old Quotes I Can't Yet Abandon
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
    ...But I concur you got to bump that con up to around 14 or be prepared to enjoy Proficiency in death Saving throws.
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Worst-case scenario, it gets ignored and pushed back to page 2, AKA The Phantom Zone, never to be seen again.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What Would YOU Build with These Stats? (Pathfinder)

If I remember correctly, archetypes didn't exist until the Advanced Players Guide, so if you are really using Core Rulebook only, archetypes are out. Do you mean CRB + APG?

3. - Top - End - #3

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    If I remember correctly, archetypes didn't exist until the Advanced Players Guide, so if you are really using Core Rulebook only, archetypes are out. Do you mean CRB + APG?
    I just didn't realize there were no Archetypes in the Core Rulebook. I'm new to Pathfinder haha.
    ~Toggle Yer Crouch~

Show
    ...But I concur you got to bump that con up to around 14 or be prepared to enjoy Proficiency in death Saving throws.
    Worst-case scenario, it gets ignored and pushed back to page 2, AKA The Phantom Zone, never to be seen again.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Well, you can drop INT and CHA to 8 each and boost everything else and make an unusually competent monk. Otherwise, play whatever you want an enjoy starting with big numbers in your prime stats (18 STR 12 DEX 18 CON 8 INT 10 WIS 18 CHA paladin, for example).

5. - Top - End - #5

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    Well, you can drop INT and CHA to 8 each and boost everything else and make an unusually competent monk. Otherwise, play whatever you want an enjoy starting with big numbers in your prime stats (18 STR 12 DEX 18 CON 8 INT 10 WIS 18 CHA paladin, for example).
    I'm gonna play what I want, but I'm fishing for ideas here. For instance, your paladin build. I'd be interested to here more about how you'd build the Monk too.
    ~Toggle Yer Crouch~

Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Monk? Max DEX, dump INT and CHA, split the rest between STR, CON, and WIS depending on your priorities. Even if you got straight 18s, a CRB monk isn't going to be anything special. Feat options are very limited and without archetypes it will be harder for monk to use maneuvers well.

CRB has prestige classes, if I recall. Paladin/sorcerer/dragon disciple or ranger/wizard/eldritch archer could be interesting for something other than straight class.

7. - Top - End - #7

Planetar

Alternatively, pick a race that gives decent weapon proficiency (like half-orc with greataxe and falchion) and go bard into dragon disciple.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

So are you specifically looking for a class that would be hard or pointless with regular point buy (so it could only work with stats like these)?

Or are you simply asking "core only, what is fun to play"?
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

9. - Top - End - #9

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    So are you specifically looking for a class that would be hard or pointless with regular point buy (so it could only work with stats like these)?

Or are you simply asking "core only, what is fun to play"?
    Either way. Especially the first one, but I'm also interested in what's fun in core.
    ~Toggle Yer Crouch~

Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

A concept that's tricky to do at most point-buy levels is the dashing swashbuckler type. You need high Dex and Cha of course, decent Str/Con, *and* you don't really want below-average Int/Wis. So it gets expensive.

But with 84 points, you could go something like:
    Str 14, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 18->20

For class, probably Bard, but these would also be good stats for a self-buffing Sorcerer gish.

On a whole other front, Cleric doesn't *need* stats like these, but it can certainly benefit from them. Maybe something like:
    Str 16, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 18->20, Cha 14

And then you're a tanky front-line Cleric that's also good with Channel. Or shift around to taste.
    Last edited by icefractal; 2019-11-13 at 09:41 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Well if you are literally asking what I would do (not what is optimal) I would go for a Dwarf Paladin (Stonelord archetype) because that is what I want to play right now.

So Str 18, Con 18 (20), wis 18 (20), int 8, chr 8 (6), dex 14.

Other things that look interesting are Undine Bard (Watersinger) or Fetchling Summoner (Shadow Caller). In both cases, CHR 18, DEX 18 and CON 18 would be great. STR can be tanked to 8, as could WIS. That leave 14 for INT which is nice for skills.

Another choice is to go Sylph Unchained Rogue 3/Fighter 4/Duellist, with INT 18, Dex 18, Con 18, Wis 14, Str 8, Chr 8. Again, this is a weak choice, but could be fun.

I suppose one could go for cleric 3/wizard 3/mystic theurge since with int 18/wis 18 one could possibly pull that off but it would again be suboptimal.

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Sorc all the way. 8 str, 14 dex, 16 con, 14 int, 14 wis, 18 cha. Go with Aasimar and get +2 wis +2 con or human for the feat and skill points. 20 cha starting out the bat is great. Or maybe go Ifrit and do straight fire bloodline doing great damage.

To be fair though, you really can't go wrong with the stat generation this way.