New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Frozen North: All Aboard!

Rime tugs her staff out of the snow. She is pretty sure she broke a rule from staff care 101. Don't smash your staff into weather. Thinking about a replacement is a good idea but finding wood fitting enough for her may prove an issue. Unless she returns back home for the replacement.

Oddy's call and subsequent heading has Rime looking down at the helmet. Nothing she can do will compete with a sand dog digging. Roxy is the perfect mare for the job, and Rime is more than happy not to dig through the snow. Rime climbs down the snow toward Oddy. "Careful. The helmet is enchanted! Hold it closer for I can examine it."

Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    Helmet!
    (3d6)[13] vs 14 (Thaumatology)
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2019-10-17 at 03:19 PM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Firbolg in the Playground

As everypony starts digging, the two sleuths get to work on this odd helmet. Pepper, though unclear on what exactly it is, knows that it looks like an antique and a remarkably well-preserved one at that. It's the kind of thing a smuggler would want to pawn off, thinking that it is the real deal. She cannot, however, determine if it is real just from looking at it, only that it's the sort of thing a criminal would want to sell if they got their hooves on it.

As for Rime's investigation, she can tell that whoever enchanted this helmet had to have an extensive and powerful reservoir of both magical power and knowledge, far more than any of her teachers.

Assuming Roxy helps, the diggers are quickly able to shovel enough snow aside to reveal an 'air pocket' created by Rime's spell around the mare's head. The moment they break inside, a blue, ethereal mane bursts out and shields the area in darkness. The hoof fades away and the snow shifts downwards as the mane climbs higher and higher. It forms a dark shape, vaguely in the form of a pony, and re-solidifies into a tall, elegant mare of unsurpassed beauty, beauty that equals if not exceeds Oddy's. She is twice the size of anyone here, with a long, tapered horn and sleekly-angled wings. Her eyes shine with a fierce intelligence, slitted pupils expanding and contracting as they adjust to the light. When she opens her mouth, she reveals a maw full of sharp fangs.

"Ponies of the Crystal Empire!" she declares in a loud, booming voice, "I have come to--" Her hooves touch down on the snow, which immediately fails to support her weight. With a shout of surprise, she falls flat on her face and lays there, groaning. Upon closer inspection, her back is badly burned, right between the wings. Voice dripping with sarcasm and a bit of heated anger, she says, "And so I reach the end of my journey. Face down. In the snow. Oh, today has just been fantastic." She shifts to stand up and her legs give out underneath her. "OW!"

3. - Top - End - #93
    Spamalot in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miltonian View Post
    a tall, elegant mare
    unsurpassed beauty
    equals if not exceeds Oddy's
    twice the size of anyone here
    sleekly-angled wings

10/10, would fraternize with danger. XD
    Doc is unable to physically move himself from awe of her presence. At least, not until--

With a shout of surprise, she falls flat on her face and lays there, groaning. Upon closer inspection, her back is badly burned, right between the wings. Voice dripping with sarcasm and a bit of heated anger, she says, "And so I reach the end of my journey. Face down. In the snow. Oh, today has just been fantastic." She shifts to stand up and her legs give out underneath her. "OW!"
    This snaps Doc out of his stare. He reaches down to touch her upper leg. "That last bolt of lightning did you some real harm. Don't get up on your own. We got a warm train car right here, so let us get you inside and I can take a proper look at your wounds there. Roxy, you want to help me carry her inside?"
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

Roxy rolls her eyes unseen, digging through the snow as she is, at Pepper makes her remark about being amateurs. This was rich coming from the pony who had been asking about bounty hunting just a little bit ago. Aside from one or two particularly strong toss of snow over her shoulders in Pepper's general direction though she doesn't reply. This dog's got a task and ain't noone going to deter her.

"Alive and not making much effort by the looks of it. Or just out of it." Roxy remarks when they reach the unknown pony. When the unknown pony bursts out of the snow however the sand dog skitters sideways, fur on her back rising, and holds her claws outward. Big. Pretty. Aaand trapped in the snow again. Roxy can't help but give a low chuckle at the alicorns predicament. Clearly this pony had a lot of power by that cloud thing she did yet it was hard to take them seriously while they were down in the snow. "There's worse ways to end the day, at least you're alive aren't you? I can getcha into somewhere warm to boot." She jerks a thumb back at the train.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

How lucky! She hasn't even arrived at her destination, barely out the front door, yet she has already found a powerful artifact for the school. With this helmet she will easily be able to defend against any attempt to have her return. Her name will reverberate through the school! Rime sharply turns to Oddy. "Oddy. Protect my helmet. I have questions for the pony."

Rime climbs the pile of snow that holds the group and the alicorn. Her walking stick poking holes into the snow. When she gets to the top she examines the downed alicorn. "I would like to hear her finish what she was saying first" Rime asks the pony, "Who are you?"

6. - Top - End - #96

The alicorn grits her sharpened teeth and tries to stand once more. "No. I am perfectly capable of..." Her legs tremble from the strain and give out once more. She falls and buries herself a little deeper in the snow. Head down, she raises a fore-hoof. "I, ahem, accept your generous offer for help, loyal subject."

She looks up when Rime approaches and seems vaguely offended at the question. "What?! Do you not recognize me? I am the great and terrible..." She trails off. A hoof travels up to her head. She pats her bare mane, and her eyes widen in horror. "Where is my helm?" She begins looking around quickly, eyes casting about for it. She sucks in a deep breath and shouts out, "WHERE. IS. MY. HELM!" A shimmering shield of magic appears around her, forming a bubble of force better than most armors in the Wasteland. "Return it at once!" she demands, "Of find it if you don't have it! I NEED that helm!"

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

"Calm down, lady. It didn't get very far..."

Pepper lowers closer to the ground but remains off it. She's seen raiders of all three pony flavors and a few off the menu creature raiders, but never a combination of all three ponies in the form of this alicorn. And based on her own experiences it's never a good sign when someone flips their wig over something so obsessed over. And that it would probably be a bad idea to fire or even level her shotgun at that shield. She looks around for Rime. and mouths "give it to her" or otherwise pantomimes such an action to the unicorn with a strong hint of urgency.

This won't end well otherwise. She can feel it in her feathers.
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Why would she have asked who she was if she recognized her? This alicorn has a few screws loose. "What were you-" She gets cut off by her question. Rime doesn't want to lose her precious artifact.

Rimes stares daggers at the magical shield. It's powerful magic. What a pony would expect from an alicorn.

She looks to the group to gauge their reactions. Her eyes meet with Pepper. She follows her lips. The pegasus had the right idea, and Rime hated the very idea. She pouts to Pepper. Rime definitely has the helmet and doesn't want to give it to the alicorn.

She sighs. She calls Oddy, "Oddy! The mare wants her helmet. Give it to her." The alicorn isn't going to answer any questions until she gets her helmet back.

Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    Just a little fluff roll. Rime wants to study the shield while she can see it.
    (3d6)[10] vs 14 (Thaumatology)

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Oddy hummed a strange zebra song, looking over the helmet.
    "Just a moment, sweetie. She may be a true beauty, yet

''
    she answer Rime, and levitate the helmet to her foreleg.
    "Just making sure, she actually own it. Rude and powerful ponies tend to steal from the weak.'

Her pupils dissapear as her eyes glows with light, and her foreleg which touched the helmet as well.

Spoiler
    Show

Using the psychometry ability on the helmet

Thanks for the OOTSkage of OOTS art, Lord Raziere.

------
    My previouse Avater

Bazzilion legions of thanks to his highness Emperor Ing for the awesome avatar!

Who want to join some freeform Naruto Rp?
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...ound-ITP-OOC-1

10. - Top - End - #100

Doc studies the shimmer of the magical barrier this pony erected. He has never seen such a spell before. All the unicorns he knew mostly had just 2-3 little tricks related to their talent, like serving drinks or something. He holds his hoof up to get her attention.

"Ma'am, I can't exactly help you up while you have a shield between us. Don't worry, your helmet is coming along with you. Just lower the barrier and let us get you inside where it's warm so that I can tend to your wounds."

Diplomacy (3d6)[9] vs. 10
    Digo Dragon - Artist

11. - Top - End - #101

Oddy places a hoof on the helmet and concentrates. Immediately, she is overwhelmed by a whirlwind of rage, jealousy, and darkness. It infests the helmet, bound to it and radiating off of it. The darkness blots out every light. The rage seeps into her heart. And above it all, she hears a proud voice shout.

"Remember this day, ponies, for it was your last! From this moment forth, the night...will last...Forever!"

Then, the helmet is ripped out of her grip by the alicorn's much stronger telekinesis. "Mine," she snarls and floats it over to herself. The shield fades away and she firmly places the helmet on her head. Her mane takes on a faint purple hint, her eyes seem to flare up with light, and a smudge, like a half-formed picture viewed through incorrectly prescribed glasses, appears on her flank, almost like cutie mark.

"That's better," she says, "Now, you have a train waiting for me?"

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Oddy is wide eyed.
    "Oh deer...' she pause.
    "This k'helmet belonged to Nightmare Moon! Deer friends...' she turn to the others.
    "Are you sure we should take her to the train?"
    Last edited by igordragonian; 2019-10-18 at 08:18 AM.

------
    My previouse Avater

13. - Top - End - #103

Quote Originally Posted by igordragonian View Post
    "This helmet belonged to Nightmare Moon! Deer friends...' she turn to the others."Are you sure we should take her to the train?"
    Doc seemed a bit skeptical. "The helmet belongs to Nightmare Moon? Are you certain?" Doc asked the deer. "I mean, if it were, are you supposing that this mare here is THE Nightmare Moon of legend? Seems a bit hard to swallow; moreover I don't feel right letting her freeze dead our here."

He helped the alicorn get up to a sitting position and imposes himself for her to lean on. "Ma'am, what's your name? Where did you come from?"
    Digo Dragon - Artist

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

"We reindeer, k'have unique gift related abilities. Something like your lovely cutie marks mine, is to see the k'history of objects, and if they were stolen. I couldn't see much... but it originaly belonged to Nightmare moon". she say with certainty. She trot on air toward the alicorn.
    "K'how in the world have you gotten this k'helmet?'

------
    My previouse Avater

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

Pepper pauses. This is altogether wrong on so many levels, but she hazards a risk, seeing as how this pony has just been relatively polite if a bit touchy...

"Well... she's not Nightmare Moon, is she? Are you?"
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

16. - Top - End - #106

The alicorn's slitted pupils narrow. She snorts and a puff of steam escapes her snout. "I may be wounded," she says, "I may be on the verge of collapse, but I assure you, if you help me now, I will remember you later and look favorably upon you. If you turn your backs on me..." Her voice darkens. "I will remember that too."

With Doc's help, she sits up. Tossing her mane proudly, she says, "Once, I was a unicorn named Nix. It was not my given name, but the one I chose for myself. I found it more appropriate than..." She frowns. "I do not remember much of my life as a unicorn. Most of my memories are from my time in Unity with the Goddess." Her lips curl in distaste. "A pretentious and entirely false name! She was nothing more than a puffed-up showmare with little magical talent, save what she stole from real unicorns."

"Now, I am neither Nix nor part of the Goddess." She draws herself up as best she can, taking on an imperious, commanding aspect. "But when she shattered into a million pieces, when I reclaimed myself, I stole this helmet from the deepest part of her vaults. I claimed it as my inheritance and compensation for the life she stole from me. With it, I shall forge a new destiny."

She grins at Pepper, baring her teeth. "Why don't you tell me, pegasus? Am I Nightmare Moon?"

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Nightmare Moon... Well that name didn't ring much of a bell for Roxy or at least she didn't grow up hearing tales. Maybe she heard the name once or twice in bars but almost always connected to someone being angry. Just like the alicorn being angry over missing her helmet. Note to self, don't take from big pony. "Who cares, we in to deep at this point. I'll carry you in but no funny magic business yes?"

18. - Top - End - #108

Doc is trying to unpack all this and it is taking a moment. "So, you're, well were, one of those Unity alicorns? And now you are free and looking to start over with your life, did I get that right?"

He will help Roxy with carrying.

"Well, if your name isn't Nix anymore, what would you like us to call you?"
    Digo Dragon - Artist

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

Pepper seems willing to risk something, because:

"Nahhh. So, look, don't get hussy with me. I'm a smart-arse but I know a thing or two about leaving an awful job with a hefty severance package in tow. You're okay. We're okay."

She lowers down onto the snow for a moment with a shrug. Putting herself level with Alicorn as a show of respect, possibly.

"Besides, if you're not here to kill us, I really don't see any reason to stand around freezing our tails off any longer."

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

"She wield a dark artifact, and she k'has been engaged in battle! Possibly with good guys!' Oddy say, with only a slight smile

------
    My previouse Avater

21. - Top - End - #111

Quote Originally Posted by igordragonian View Post
    "She wield a dark artifact, and she k'has been engaged in battle! Possibly with good guys!' Oddy say, with only a slight smile
    "Uh... reckon she engaged with a bolt of lightning and lost there," Doc says. "I gotta agree more with the pegasus."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

She doesn't know if what Oddy says is true but Rime believes Oddy knows something similar to the truth once Oddy mentions she knows through her gift giving magic. The reindeer can see the history of objects? That is a very useful talent. She adds supporting evidence, "I can confirm the helmet is very old and powerful."

The alicorn may cause them more trouble at far greater a cost than any benefit her favor will provide. The group may have made a mistake by rescuing her. They might have been better off letting her sleep in the snow. A good deed never goes unpunished. Rime takes a breath and calms her mind. The future has yet to be seen. She can still turn this mess around.

She says to the alicorn. "You have suffered greatly with unimaginable struggles." They are already dug in too deep. "Let's get you inside and near some warmth." Rime moves to lend her a shoulder and carry her inside. "As true as your tell many ponies could never believe such a history unless they witness the truth with their own eyes. I can help you. I know some magics that will reveal you have spoken the truth. Let me cast my spell on you."

Spoiler: Stuff
    Show
    I have eyes and spells.
    [roll0] vs 12 (Body Language)

Rim wants to cast Truthsayer
    Information; Resisted by Will
    Tells whether the subject is lying or not. May be cast in two ways:
    1. To tell whether the subject has told any lies in the last five minutes.
    2. To tell whether the last thing the subject said was a lie.
    May also give an indication of how great the lie is. If caster is not touching subject, calculate range as for a Regular spell.
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2019-10-18 at 10:40 AM.

23. - Top - End - #113

After a moment, the alicorn's horn stops glowing. She nods slowly. "No magic 'funny business'," she promises, "Cross my heart and...whatever the rest of that rhyme is."

She relents to half-walking, half being carried by Doc and Roxy. "Not merely my life," she declares, "A fresh start for everypony. And others, of course. But you have the bare essence of it. I am far more than a mere alicorn now." She hesitates. "Names are...a complicated business."

She laughs, almost good-naturedly, at Pepper's comment, though there is a hard edge even so. "Hardly!" she says, "I am here to restore order and civilization, not go around murdering ponies. And others."

"It was an automated defense system," she counters, "As a point of warning: do not try and FLY above the Crystal City, not even the outskirts. It seems whatever automated systems remain don't like it."

Her eyes snap to Rime the moment she mentions casting a spell on her. She leans down and, in a hissed, threatening voice, says, "If you even think of treachery..." The threat hangs there and Rime knows she will go through with it. She is not hostile to them, but seems to expect them to try and kill her. Her entire body is tightly wound, ready to spring into action at a moment's notice. Even crippled, she would be a formidable opponent.

24. - Top - End - #114

"There will be no treachery. Just a nice warm train ride to town where we can sleep off our troubles," Doc says. He glanced up at the cloud cover. Yeah, up there is nothing but death and broken promises. Ain't worth looking into.

As he helps the mare inside the train, he adds. "While I get a good look at you, why don't you tell us about your ideas for starting over?"
    Digo Dragon - Artist

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

The alicorn was charming in her own way. And, another recorded holding beauty. There is so much weird stuff happening. The alicorn seemed genuine and kind. Very different from the rumors Rime has heard but the alicorn did say a hive mind was broken? It is all very interesting. She should take notes before any of the details slip away to time.

Rime looks up towards the clouds with Doc. Tonight is a beautiful full moon.

Rime gives the alicorn an intimidated smile. Those eyes, fangs, and voice striking fear into her. "There will be no treachery or funny business." She rings some fear out of her smile. "Cross my heart and hope to die." Rime raises the shoulder touching the alicorn to add some physical comedy. "Lean on me, and I'll support you with my magic." Rime isn't lying. She wants to cast a simple truth detecting spell but she doesn't want the alicorn to resist her magic.
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2019-10-18 at 11:31 AM.

26. - Top - End - #116

They near the train, the alicorn stumbling slowly towards the door and gritting her teeth each time she takes a step with her left forehoof. "Well," she says, voice tense, "It would be...easier to talk if I wasn't in so much pain right now. Moon and stars! BUCK!" Her face flushes. "I'm sorry. That was not fitting for a pony of my station."

She looks down at Rime and gives a subtle nod. Even if Rime were lying, she is not likely to detect it right now due to the pain lancing through her legs each step.

If no one stops them, they will enter the train.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

Old and powerful helmet... Tempting. It wooooould be so easy to draw her pistol with he free hand while the alicorn wasn't looking but then corking a pre-injured person for profit never jived with Roxy. Most of the talk of Unity and such goes well over her head. Sand dogs were mostly interested in what they could get to not what hadn't been seen in generations. "Rough bounce, rough landing, pain is to be expected. Lucky you landed in the snow or you'd probably be in even more pain. Also is why sand dogs dig. Everyone expect something from sky, noone expect from ground." Roxy chuckles again. Oh good memories of scaring people and getting away with loot from guarded areas.

28. - Top - End - #118

Quote Originally Posted by Miltonian View Post
    "I'm sorry. That was not fitting for a pony of my station."
    "No worries, miss," Doc assures her. "Cursing is just the body's natural way to relieve stress."

Quote Originally Posted by userpay View Post
    "Also is why sand dogs dig. Everyone expect something from sky, noone expect from ground."
    "Reckon I'll have to watch where I step more often."

Once inside the train, Doc is gonna want everyone carrying the alicorn to help put her on one of the long sofa chairs so he can get a proper examination going. "If someone could fetch a bowl or bucket with some warm water and a couple rags, that would be much appreciated. Could someone assist me with holding my light while I work?"
    Digo Dragon - Artist

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

The alicorn's slow gated walk looks absolutely rubbish. Rime can feel pain herself just by watching the Alicorn. A little grimace each time the alicorn lets her pain show. "Hey, Doctor Doc. Do you have anything for pain? I think she could use something to help her out."

She jokes with Roxy, "It can be hard to miss the snow. It always seems to be laying around." The old saying is that humor is the best medicine for pain. Let no one say that Rime doesn't have a good bedside manner.

The alicorn's nod to Rime draws a smile from her. "You'll have a strong supporter after my spell." Her horn glows. Rime's metal eyes reflect a pool of water. The ripples in the pool reflecting lies and their magnitude.

The group shouldn't pop in unannounced even if she expects that somepony has already seen them from the train. She shouts out, "We found an injured pony! We're carrying her inside. Clear the door and a path! We need room to maneuver!"

Rime will direct/help carry the alicorn towards the other long chair. No pony or alicorn will take Rime's seat! She will defend her extra seat with teeth.

Rime volunteers to Doc. "I can hold the light."

Spoiler: Truthsayer
    Show
    Information; Resisted by Will
    Tells whether the subject is lying or not. May be cast in two ways:
    1. To tell whether the subject has told any lies in the last five minutes.
    2. To tell whether the last thing the subject said was a lie.
    May also give an indication of how great the lie is. If caster is not touching subject, calculate range as for a Regular spell.
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2019-10-19 at 05:30 AM.

30. - Top - End - #120

Quote Originally Posted by Elbeyon View Post
    Rime volunteers to Doc. "I can hold the light."
    "You know, it's funny you called me Doctor Doc earlier. My friends back home call me Doc cause they didn't want to say Doctor Wagon. Yet you turned all that on its head. Heh heh." He is genuinely amused by being called doctor Doc. That is actually the first anyone has ever called him that.

Doc moves the light up into position and allows Rime to hold it in that position so he can work. He first checks the nastiest injury--the alicorn's back. "Alright miss, I'm gonna take a good look at your wounds and do what I can to fix you right up. Just relax and let me know if any spot particularly hurts. Alright?"

Diagnosis (3d6)[18] v. 11
    First Aid (3d6)[11] v. 15
    Digo Dragon - Artist