The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Pact of the Blade and Eldritch Knight Synergy?

So I was thinking of making an Pact of the Blade warlock, but I disliked the 'make/call a weapon with your action'. It would just be a pain when being surprised to use your first action to get a weapon. Eldritch knight can call a bonded weapon with a bonus action 'if it is on the same plane of existence.'

Here is the question. If you were to make a bond with a magical weapon, both with Pact of the Blade and Eldritch Knight, and stored your magic weapon in your extradimensional space, could you call your weapon for a bonus action with your Eldritch Knight bond? Is an extradimensional space still a space on the same plane, or an entirely different plane?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Pact of the Blade and Eldritch Knight Synergy?

Quote Originally Posted by Setharious View Post
    So I was thinking of making an Pact of the Blade warlock, but I disliked the 'make/call a weapon with your action'. It would just be a pain when being surprised to use your first action to get a weapon. Eldritch knight can call a bonded weapon with a bonus action 'if it is on the same plane of existence.'

Here is the question. If you were to make a bond with a magical weapon, both with Pact of the Blade and Eldritch Knight, and stored your magic weapon in your extradimensional space, could you call your weapon for a bonus action with your Eldritch Knight bond? Is an extradimensional space still a space on the same plane, or an entirely different plane?
    I would say no, it's in a different dimension and doesn't qualify for the EK's summoning. That being said I wouldn't really overthink it as a DM if a player went as far as getting both subclasses to just be able to summon a weapon with a BA.
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Something to note: thereís nothing stopping you from just keeping your weapon summoned at all times. Unless you want to summon it for flavour reasons, thereís really no reason to take 3 levels in fighter just for that (of course thereís still the other stuff you get for 3 levels of fighter too, so itís not worthless).
    Last edited by Darc_Vader; 2019-10-12 at 03:48 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darc_Vader View Post
    Something to note: thereís nothing stopping you from just keeping your weapon summoned at all times. Unless you want to summon it for flavour reasons, thereís really no reason to take 3 levels in fighter just for that (of course thereís still the other stiff you get for 3 levels of fighter too, so itís not worthless).
    This right here. My BladeLock almost always has a pact weapon on hand, unless he has to go someplace where a weapon would be completely inappropriate. And then it's actually convenient to have the ability to summon a weapon when nobody else has one, even if it requires an action. The only time it's a problem is when I need to switch weapons in mid-combat (going from longbow to rapier or vice versa), and giving up an attack action isn't a good idea.
    I CAN EXPLAIN IT FOR YOU, BUT I CAN'T UNDERSTAND IT FOR YOU.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

I did something similar for flavor,

I dual wield a dagger as EK weapon with a rapier as my pact weapon as a dex based magical martial fighter, that allowed me to throw the dagger (as it has range) and bonus action call it back. not a very practical maneuver as it eats bonus actions but eh. I also had immovable rods built into the handles later, having an immovable rod dagger you can lock in place but then call to you later is very open ended in the amount of things you can do with such an ability. (I personally used it as an anchor for ropes, door jams, etc)

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Urukubarr View Post
    I did something similar for flavor,

I dual wield a dagger as EK weapon with a rapier as my pact weapon as a dex based magical martial fighter, that allowed me to throw the dagger (as it has range) and bonus action call it back. not a very practical maneuver as it eats bonus actions but eh. I also had immovable rods built into the handles later, having an immovable rod dagger you can lock in place but then call to you later is very open ended in the amount of things you can do with such an ability. (I personally used it as an anchor for ropes, door jams, etc)
    That's amazing!

Now I'm sitting here quietly going crazy, thinking of all the different weapons I could combine with Immovable Rods. So much fun.
    I CAN EXPLAIN IT FOR YOU, BUT I CAN'T UNDERSTAND IT FOR YOU.

7. - Top - End - #7

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by JakOfAllTirades View Post
    That's amazing!

Now I'm sitting here quietly going crazy, thinking of all the different weapons I could combine with Immovable Rods. So much fun.
    Build one into a crossbow bolt. Engineer the device so that it locks as soon as the bolt penetrates a target. Also put barbs on the bolt that make it hard to remove from the target once it's lodged inside it. Basically you immobilize targets at range.