New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Titan

1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

PaladinGuy

Default Titan

I saw a thread called "Attack on Titan," what about the real Titan? I had some ideas about how one might live there. You may be familiar with a book called The High Frontier written by Gerard O'Neill, he proposed ww construct large rotating vessels in space, the smallest of his space colony concepts was a sphere 500 meters in diameter, constructed at the L5 point lr the L4 point which lead or trail the Moon it its orbit, forming an equalateral triangle with the Moon and the Earth forming two of the points and L5 forming the third point.

You can build something similar high in Titan's atmosphere, except it would be a hot air balloon that rotates to simulate gravity. I envision something the size of the Island One colony or Bernal sphere, except it has thinner walls, the pressure on the inside is just a little higher than that out the outside. The air on the inside is warm and breathable and thus less dense than the freezing atmosphere outside, thus it floats because it is a hot air balloon.

You need less material to make it because you don't need radiation shielding, if it is 400 meters in diameter, rotating it twice per minute will produce 0.9g of centrifugal force. It is a floating city, it could probably be built in the second half of the 21st century. Cities would float at the 1 atmosphere level. The surface is at 1.5 atmospheres. So the cities would be quite high off the ground, and at certain places, the residents would experience 1 full gravity.

So how to we make this an interesting setting for an RPG?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: Titan

It's already an interesting setting.

I overthink but I'd start with:
    -Why are they there?
    -How did they get there?
    -What are they doing?

That would create the broad mechanisms I need for the basis of the lore and mechanics that follow.

What system are you going to use?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Titan

Quote Originally Posted by jjordan View Post
    It's already an interesting setting.

I overthink but I'd start with:
    -Why are they there?
    -How did they get there?
    -What are they doing?

That would create the broad mechanisms I need for the basis of the lore and mechanics that follow.

What system are you going to use?
    D20 Future could work, it would be PL6 the fusion age, sometime in the second half of the 21st century, perhaps the 2080s.
    According to the realistic travel times table, the journey to Saturn would take 2.68 years., one way communication between Earth and Saturn is 3790 seconds, or about an hour each way. Of course all the PL6 items are available. Settlement on Titan first began around 2050. The economy is powered by fusion reactors that fuse deuterium. Deuterium can be obtained from the methane and ethane lakes and rivers on Titan, and of course from the frozen water in the icy crust of Titan itself. Of particular interest is the helium-3 in Saturn's atmosphere. Deuterium works for commercial fusion reactors, but for spaceships, helium-3 is much better. Helium-3 mining is done by robots that are supervised by humans living on Titan.

The mining conglomerates run the mining operations in Saturn and employ a lot of people on Titan, there are also data centers here on Titan and a lot of work on artificial intelligence. And there is a virtual reality entertainment center here as well. On Earth, artificial intelligence is restricted, but not on Titan. There are sports centers, skiing is a favorite activity here as well, there are sailboats cruising on the hydrocarbon lakes and rivers, there are fusion powered fighter planes corporate owned, there is much rivalry between corporate entities, and laws are rather loose and not well enforced.