New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Default The Inheritance Wars (Team Light)

Aztec, New Mexico

The protagonists are battling with the soulless soldiers attempting murder Wei Huang. They unexpectedly run into quite a lot of push back from not only our protagonists, but from the master martial artist himself. Suddenly, one of the protagonists begins to convert the bio mass of some of the dying soldiers into his own. . . with unexpected results. The energy which devoured their souls entered him, but rather than begin to lose his soul and free will, he began to feel very groggy. . . like he needed to sleep. The energy from the force field disappeared, and so to was the enemy.
    Last edited by DarthArminius; 2019-10-12 at 09:01 PM.
    I am ArlEammon. I've been here since 2004, but I've lost access to my other account.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: The Inheritance Wars (Team Light)

"So, what now?" Shamus asked. "They're gone, and we have no clue where they might have gone off to. Well, guess it's smart to just look for clues." Shamus would look around examining everything to find where he could of possibly headed off.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Erica freezes and blinks, jarred by the mob's instantaneous disappearance. They didn't even have the courtesy to cover their escape with special effects.

Something in her shadow stirs for a moment, notices the rapid decline in the local level of violence, and settles back into its usual form. It seemed disappointed. I'll try again next time, I guess.

"That was sudden," she says to Huang. "I assume they appeared to attack you just as quickly? Where did the force field come from?"

She leads the martial artist to the rest of the group, where they can inspect a sleepy Kirov. "Are you alright? I'm still not sure what was keeping those things moving..."

She assenses Kirov with her three kinds of detective vision, in more detail than she bothered with on the zombies. She squints and seems to stare at something behind him. "He absorbed... something, along with their biomass. I don't know what it is exactly. Sorry, I've never actually done this before."
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2019-10-12 at 09:48 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gunsforhands View Post
    Erica freezes and blinks, jarred by the mob's instantaneous disappearance. They didn't even have the courtesy to cover their escape with special effects.

Something in her shadow stirs for a moment, notices the rapid decline in the local level of violence, and settles back into its usual form. It seemed disappointed. I'll try again next time, I guess.

"That was sudden," she says to Huang. "I assume they appeared to attack you just as quickly? Where did the force field come from?"

She leads the martial artist to the rest of the group, where they can inspect a sleepy Kirov. "Are you alright? I'm still not sure what was keeping those things moving..."

She assenses Kirov with her three kinds of detective vision, in more detail than she bothered with on the zombies. She squints and seems to stare at something behind him. "He absorbed... something, along with their biomass. I don't know what it is exactly. Sorry, I've never actually done this before."

"Bleh whatever it is, im fairly sure it was what was animating the bodies... next time i should just use a supercharged flesh eating virus and some webbing to render them non-threats. they still need their musclar system to move i think, and if one could outdamage their regeneration..."
    Last edited by atomictaco; 2019-10-12 at 10:03 PM. Reason: derp

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

As soon as the attackers had vanished Charlotte withdrew the bottles from the belts and her armor disappeared. While Mr Huang was led to the group she placed the bottles on a carrier hanging on her left hip.

"I wonder if just the webbing would have been enough to restrain them" Charlotte asks Kirov when he mentions using webbing and bacteria to eat away the attackers muscles.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Erica nods in agreement. "If we see them again, restraining them should work. I don't think they started reconstituting until they were dead or knocked out, and they did not seem to have anything else superhuman about them."

A distressing thought crosses her mind. She knows what can happen when that kind of determination is given to something with no soul. "If they were human, we need to find out how their souls were separated from their bodies. Are they being held somewhere, or were they destroyed?"

She's as much asking herself as anyone else, but she's reached the extent of her current inherited knowledge. She needs more information.

"Meanwhile, Mr. Huang, our current plan is to return you to Archibald's palace. Is there anything you need to do before we go? Do we need to retrieve anything from your house?"
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2019-10-12 at 11:16 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Chimera

Erica nods in agreement. "If we see them again, restraining them should work. I don't think they started reconstituting until they were dead or knocked out, and they did not seem to have anything else superhuman about them."

A distressing thought crosses her mind. She knows what can happen when that kind of determination is given to something with no soul. "If they were human, we need to find out how their souls were separated from their bodies. Are they being held somewhere, or were they destroyed?"

She's as much asking herself as anyone else, but she's reached the extent of her current inherited knowledge. She needs more information.

"Meanwhile, Mr. Huang, our current plan is to return you to Archibald's palace. Is there anything you need to do before we go? Do we need to retrieve anything from your house?"

Wei Huang

"My students are in the mansion. As it stands, there are six of them , all teenagers, ready to fight. Good thing the creatures only seemed to be going after me."
    I am ArlEammon. I've been here since 2004, but I've lost access to my other account.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

"Okay, good! Let's go get them and get out of here before whoever was after you sends reinforcements."

Erica gestures for Huang to lead the way back to his mansion.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arayl View Post
    As soon as the attackers had vanished Charlotte withdrew the bottles from the belts and her armor disappeared. While Mr Huang was led to the group she placed the bottles on a carrier hanging on her left hip.

"I wonder if just the webbing would have been enough to restrain them" Charlotte asks Kirov when he mentions using webbing and bacteria to eat away the attackers muscles.
    Probably, I just wanted to make sure they would not get back up. Absorbing them for biomass seemed like a good idea.."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

"I think I understand? Of course, I don't know how you're absorbing them, what you're using the biomass for, or where you're putting it when you absorb it. Whatever you did, though, it does seem to have scared them off for now."

Erica takes a hard look at Kirov one more time. She keeps getting an ominous feeling that she can't quite put it into words.

"Are you sure you're okay?"
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2019-10-13 at 02:13 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

Planetar

Shamus would continue to look around looking for any clue to where they could have headed off to. He'd continue until there was some indication that his search was either worthless, or he found all the clues he could find. He didn't really care which way it turned out.

12. - Top - End - #12

Chimera

Students

The students were all barricaded in the house. . . after Wei told them to put the barricades away, they all obediently responded.

"Master Wei, we heard voices taunting us while we were hiding in the house. They're after us too!"

"They said unless you fight them, they'll hunt down all of your students and kill them."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

"Bull," says Erica. "I hate this kind of extortion. They already know it's wrong; they don't get to blame you if they decide to do it anyway."

Of course, Erica's mundane pet peeves don't carry much weight in the lawless fantasy world she now finds herself in. She needs another angle if she's going to twist this situation to our advantage.

"Did they put it in writing?"

14. - Top - End - #14

Chimera

"Bull," says Erica. "I hate this kind of extortion. They already know it's wrong; they don't get to blame you if they decide to do it anyway."

Of course, Erica's mundane pet peeves don't carry much weight in the lawless fantasy world she now finds herself in. She needs another angle if she's going to twist this situation to our advantage.

"Did they put it in writing?"
    "No. There were just voices taunting us, it sounded like they were inside the house with us, actually. We're surprised that they didn't decide to just attack us right there."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

"Well, if they're still here, nothing is stopping them from coming out and fighting us if they want. Otherwise, the threat doesn't seem to have any teeth."

Erica casts her sight toward the mansion, looking for cognitive distortion, souls of stragglers, or disturbances in the force from some house-possessing spirit. "So, is this all of you? Is everyone accounted for?"
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2019-10-14 at 02:00 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Rikku chimed in at this point with the observation "Even if they are not here, we should probably make sure to break the gang up before moving on" she suggested, trying to be helpful "Otherwise they'll just find some other group to menace"
    High Reverend of the Church of the Icosahedron

17. - Top - End - #17

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by NineOfSpades View Post
    Rikku chimed in at this point with the observation "Even if they are not here, we should probably make sure to break the gang up before moving on" she suggested, trying to be helpful "Otherwise they'll just find some other group to menace"
    Wei Huang:
    He looks concerned. "This is an insult to me and my students. An insult that will not go unavenged! The man, a fifty year old man of Chinese ethnicity narrowed his eyes and grit his teeth. "My students are my life!"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Erica does not react much to Huang's anger. That much she's used to handling.

"I expect we'll need to retrieve your other students at some point as well, wherever they are. For now, we need to focus. Is there anyone else left in the mansion?"
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2019-10-16 at 12:05 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Chimera

Erica does not react much to Huang's anger. That much she's used to handling.

"I expect we'll need to retrieve your other students at some point as well, wherever they are. For now, we need to focus. Is there anyone else left in the mansion?"

It's around this time that Shamus finishes his lap around the grounds. Erica looks to him as he steps around a trampled arbor vitae.

"Did you find anything, Shamus?"
    "We need to retrieve a holy artifact. It's of utmost importance to retrieve it or people will misuse it for their own personal gain."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

A strange breeze passes over the group as the air currents resume passing through the space previously contained by the force field.

"Ah."

Erica fidgets with the sleeve of her white cardigan. Anyone reading her mind is met with several swear words. Of course they had to keep something hostage. We might have skipped this whole fight otherwise.

"Alright, let's go in and get it,"
    she says without further ado.

It's around this time that Shamus finishes his lap around the grounds. Erica looks to him as he steps around a trampled arbor vitae.

"Did you find anything?"
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2019-10-16 at 12:06 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Chimera

A strange breeze passes over the group as the air currents resume passing through the space previously contained by the force field.

"Ah."

Erica fidgets with the sleeve of her white cardigan. Anyone reading her mind is met with several swear words. Of course they had to keep something hostage. We might have skipped this whole fight otherwise.

"Alright, let's go in and get it,"
    she says without further ado.

"Did you find anything?"
    Shamus discovers a suspicious looking lever in Wei Huang's library. As it turns out, the inside of Huang's mansion is quite large. Twelve thousand square feet, and that's just on the first floor. Magnificent golden chandeliers and several rooms other than the standard rooms that most houses have. It possessed a library, a study, a ball room, a magnificent indoor pool and yes, a secret, subterranean area.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

The inside of the large mansion was pretty expansive, as well as just regular pretty, prompting Rikku to pause and soak it in. She spoke as she did so, distantly distracted by the opulance of it "So this artifact" She began, turning in place to look around "What does it look like?". While personally not really an 'expert' in the subject, Rikku's newly endowed abilities were quite specilized towards the task of 'entering a building to find a magic object'. She was pretty convinced she could just wander around and find it without much effort, but it seemed more polite to ask, if only to cut down on the amount of rummaging through other peoples belongings she needed to do.
    Last edited by NineOfSpades; 2019-10-17 at 11:17 AM.
    High Reverend of the Church of the Icosahedron

23. - Top - End - #23

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by NineOfSpades View Post
    The inside of the large mansion was pretty expansive, as well as just regular pretty, prompting Rikku to pause and soak it in. She spoke as she did so, distantly distracted by the opulance of it "So this artifact" She began, turning in place to look around "What does it look like?". While personally not really an 'expert' in the subject, Rikku's newly endowed abilities were quite specilized towards the task of 'entering a building to find a magic object'. She was pretty convinced she could just wander around and find it without much effort, but it seemed more polite to ask, if only to cut down on the amount of rummaging through other peoples belongings she needed to do.

"It's a Sword. The Sword Of Heaven. In the wrong hands, it can be used for enormous harm."
    "It's in the ritual chambers. We need to get there now!"

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

A Sword of Heaven sounds like it would be right up Charlotte's or Rikku's alleys.

Erica becomes vaguely aware of a potential timeline where we just never get moving and the other team implodes somehow. She doesn't know what it means beyond being a disturbance in the force, but she thinks she can head it off if she keeps pushing forward.

"We're on it," she says despite technically not knowing where the ritual chambers are. "One assumes that that is through the hidden passage Shamus mentioned. Let's go."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

"Lead the way then Mr Huang, hopefully we'll get there before they do or at least before they can make good their escape with the sword" Charlotte says once she heard what the attackers were probably after.

26. - Top - End - #26

Chimera

The Ritual Chambers

"Look. . . there it is. . . and OH WHAT THE **** IS HE DOING HERE!" There appears to be a cloaked man, fully in black, turning to the party.
    "Why hello. My name, is Howard."
    "How do you do?" He speaks with a high class British accent, and gives a subtle polite nod.
    "I do apologize, but you all have to die."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

"Oh? Well, that is unfortunate," says Erica, her sarcasm betrayed more by the context than her tone of voice. "We need to take that sword right now, though, so I'm afraid we'll have to reschedule."

Her words tug on Howard's mind through the force. It might be enough if he's some kind of weak-minded pawn, but otherwise it's nothing more than amusing banter.

Erica looks at Howard with an analytical eye. "So, to repeat Mr. Huang's question, what are you doing here? Who do you work for?"

Her mind trick is a bit stronger when she's asking questions. She has both her own skills and Akechi's to thank for that. Still, there's nothing in her toolbox that can keep Howard from fighting in silence if that's what he wants.

28. - Top - End - #28

Chimera

"Oh? Well, that is unfortunate," says Erica, her sarcasm betrayed more by the context than her tone of voice. "We need to take that sword right now, though, so I'm afraid we'll have to reschedule."

Her words tug on Howard's mind through the force. It might be enough if he's some kind of weak-minded pawn, but otherwise it's nothing more than amusing banter.

Erica looks at Howard with an analytical eye. "So, to repeat Mr. Huang's question, what are you doing here? Who do you work for?"

Her mind trick is a bit stronger when she's asking questions. She has both her own skills and Akechi's to thank for that. Still, there's nothing in her toolbox that can keep Howard from fighting in silence if that's what he wants.
    He gives a shrug with his shoulders before answering. "Since you're about to die anyway, I may as well answer politely." He clears his throat. "You see, The Lord wants you dead. There's not much beyond that, I'm afraid. He did tell me that he regretted having to send an assassin against you before attempting to win you over, so there's that. But he just doesn't trust Archibald with your powers. Oh well."

"If by some miracle you survive this encounter, Archibald will know what "My Lord" means."

"Ahem. Take that!" He suddenly lunges at Erica with a sword that he pulls out his cane.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Erica is surprised to find that her first thought is, What? That's it? After seeing the flashy magic her friends were working outside, a simple sword is a little underwhelming.

Her second thought, of course, is EEYAH THAT HURTS, because the man is a very quick fencer and his blade is probably salted or something.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Charlotte laughs at the suggestion that the man in front of them could kill them "You do know you sound delusional right? You're outnumbered and I doubt you can kill us all"