The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2019

    Default Which Classes Would You Find Most Interesting to Read About? 4e Version

    I'm planning on trying NaNoWriMo this year, and have been hit with a bit of writer's block. To that end, I've put together a set of surveys to try and get a bit of inspiration, and to also see if there are any trends in what people are interested in a main character.

    This survey focuses on 4e D&D. I didn't add in all of the Essentials versions as their own entries, but None of the questions are required to answer, but I've provided them all in case you have an opinion on all of them.

    And who knows? This may inspire to realize what you find interesting.

    Feel free to discuss below what you find interesting as well!

    The 4e Survey is here.

    For the 3rd/3.5/Pathfinder Survey, check here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-to-Read-About

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Excession's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Which Classes Would You Find Most Interesting to Read About? 4e Version

    Something I think would be interesting is the way different classes see arcane magic.

    Wizard: Magic is about understanding and precision, you have to study the basics, work your way up, and know everything about how the world works to successfully use it.
    Sorcerer: Pfft, you think too much. Do you have to study before you can walk? You just do it, and improve as you go.
    Warlock: You're both wrong of course. Whether magic is something you understand or feel, that isn't what's important. What is, is how much you're willing to pay.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    ThePurple's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Shameland (4e Forums)

    Default Re: Which Classes Would You Find Most Interesting to Read About? 4e Version

    Quote Originally Posted by Excession View Post
    Wizard: Magic is about understanding and precision, you have to study the basics, work your way up, and know everything about how the world works to successfully use it.
    Sorcerer: Pfft, you think too much. Do you have to study before you can walk? You just do it, and improve as you go.
    Warlock: You're both wrong of course. Whether magic is something you understand or feel, that isn't what's important. What is, is how much you're willing to pay.
    Swordmage: Magic is about swinging swords so that fire appears. Everything else is just elaboration.
    4e Homebrew: Shadow Knight, Scout
    roll20: Kitru

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Lord Haart's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012

    Default Re: Which Classes Would You Find Most Interesting to Read About? 4e Version

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePurple View Post
    Swordmage: Magic is about swinging swords so that fire appears. Everything else is just elaboration.
    I'd say swordmages' position is: "Magic is training, mastery, art and creativity, practiced to perfection."

    They are basically physical education wizards. ;)

    Alternatively, "Magic is giving the dusty old books a rest, stepping out, being awesome and GETTING into the next generations' dusty old books", for the more Rainbow Dash-y swordmage types out there.


    4eBards: "You don't have to know magic, you have to get people's support while you fake it. Rearrange the pieces to everyone's benefit whenever Reality's not looking, and no one will rat you out to her. Then you blackmail Reality with her sloppyness and make her cover for you in turn."

    (Or more boring, more official version: "Magic is the rhytm and the weave that resonates in the world and sings the fate. Y'all have a good time studying it and putting into formulae or whatever; I'm simply gonna get a feel for it, understand how it flows and play my magic by the ear")
    Last edited by Lord Haart; 2019-10-14 at 12:13 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Elitarismo View Post
    Complaining about martial characters dipping many different classes is like complaining that the sun is hot.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArqArturo View Post
    When I first wanted to build a gish, I wanted to be the guy that threw fireballs, lightning bolts, wore spiked fullplate and reigned death and destruction ()

    So I rolled a cleric.

    DEGENERATION 92: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Excession's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Which Classes Would You Find Most Interesting to Read About? 4e Version

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Haart View Post
    (Or more boring, more official version: "Magic is the rhytm and the weave that resonates in the world and sings the fate. Y'all have a good time studying it and putting into formulae or whatever; I'm simply gonna get a feel for it, understand how it flows and play my magic by the ear")
    Followed by ten weeks of playing till their fingers bleed trying to get that chord progression to sound like they don't even need to try hard.
    Last edited by Excession; 2019-10-14 at 03:50 PM.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Lord Haart's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012

    Default Re: Which Classes Would You Find Most Interesting to Read About? 4e Version

    Don't mind me, just repeating my answer (made in the Google form) in this post so i could have access to it later (i don't think i will be able to view my own in-form answer later, and i don't like to let something i've took time to type disappear).

    Spoiler
    Show
    Protector Druid is a versatile class of many roles (which matters more in fiction than in a party, and makes for a more interesting and well-rounded character than a narrow specialist; many of the most recognised heroic fantasy protagonists, from Conan to Aragorn, were actually very diverse in their approaches). At the same time, it does not allow for brute force; it relies on leader and controller-type ablities that is, on strenghtening its companions, and employing an indirect approach to things. Such a hero would not succeed by facing a problem heads-on, but by raising support, standing alongside allies, studying the threat, preparing the battlefield and patiently entangling the threat in seemingly minor impediments until the threat is no longer able to do any harm.
    This approach would allow you to show a different kind of hero: a thoughtful, collected type who does not escalate when it can be avoided, and prefers complex, involved problem-solving to more straightforward methods. A hero that travels with a trusted companion (which is a very handy literary device), yet is not a "loner for two" who avoids any other company (unlike a stereotypical beastmaster).
    Summer circle for the class means that in the character-pet dynamics, the characters stays in the lead. The pet is not something to throw at the problems to flay faces off them. Rather, the pet protects the druid while the druid takes control of the situation and if that fails, it's the druid who draws the staff (which, unlike the scimitar, does not have a connotation of being a weapon intended for battle; a staff is the last resort of a patient man, yet it can lay serious harm if brought to use) and leads the fight to the last.
    Shaman multiclass can reinforce the themes of supportful and indirect approach, of having to think and plan one's way through and being tricky at times; and adds to it the element of esoteric, of a contact with the spirit world, from where the character's powers might ultimately stem (or not). Getting more healing power and an occasional advice from the dreaming world shows one's growing awareness; meanwhile, a companion spirit, which appears and disappears on a call (or perhaps on a whim), with a higher purpose, and is never fully there, is a pointed counterpart to the flesh-and-blood animal companion.
    Likewise, Primal Guardian theme defines the character's responsibilities a bit better, and lends additional support to the idea that, while indirect approach is preferred, the character is ready to stand his ground in defence of something important, when necessary.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Elitarismo View Post
    Complaining about martial characters dipping many different classes is like complaining that the sun is hot.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArqArturo View Post
    When I first wanted to build a gish, I wanted to be the guy that threw fireballs, lightning bolts, wore spiked fullplate and reigned death and destruction ()

    So I rolled a cleric.

    DEGENERATION 92: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    oxybe's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: Which Classes Would You Find Most Interesting to Read About? 4e Version

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Haart View Post
    I'd say swordmages' position is: "Magic is training, mastery, art and creativity, practiced to perfection."

    They are basically physical education wizards. ;)
    "Magic is all about HUSTLE! You get in there, give your 110% for the team! One TEAM One DREAM! Those goblins aren't gonna rout themselves! I tried scrying and couldn't find any competition for you roughnecks, yer the best of the best! Work hard, hit hard, play hard, win EASY. Move! Move! MOVE!"

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Dimers's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Which Classes Would You Find Most Interesting to Read About? 4e Version

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Haart View Post
    a thoughtful, collected type who does not escalate when it can be avoided, and prefers complex, involved problem-solving to more straightforward methods.
    So, a protector druid is Miles Vorkosigan?
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

    Current games list

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •