The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 53 of 53
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Breccia's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013

    Default Re: D&D Base Class Contest IX Chat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by MoleMage View Post
    I'm still looking for feedback on the Clockwinder
    Fair enough.

    I've decided to list twelve, because clock.

    1) There should be a cost associated with making a new stopwatch or clockwork weapon. If the DM breaks the wizard's wand or fighter's sword, there's a cost associated with that, too. Now, that's the dedicated crafter in me talking, not the "DM interested in game balance", but in most D&D settings making a stopwatch should probably take more than a few hours because gears and springs are neither easy to make nor common to find.
    2) The wording of "you may add your ability bonus to the damage of both of these weapons" should probably be clarified, because you already add your ability bonus to your main hand and I doubt you want to add it again.
    3) The Clockwinder takes a significant damage loss when their stopwatch is ready, but they choose not to use it because they're waiting for a more opportune time.
    4a) I don't see anything in here about the Clockwinder either making magic weapons, or even bypassing resistance as if it was magic, and against many foes that's crippling.
    4b) Also, they don't seem to have the ability to make magic armor. Considering how much they lose when not using their clockwork items, at higher levels, this is crippling.
    4c) My solution to both, and also part of 1 I guess, is to have clockwork weapons modified weapons they find. "Say, you know what that longsword +1 could use?" Tempus says, "an hour hand, a ticking sound, and a chainsaw blade!"
    5) I may have missed it, but what's the Save DC against time powers?
    6) "Displacement Winder" should add the text "that you can see" because I don't like the idea of teleportiing through locked doors at 3rd level.
    7) I love everything about "Gravity Bubble" except the name, because I don't see why Gravity has to get involved in Time. Surely their enhanced reaction speeds would just let them point towards the bleachers and swat the projectile back at the source?
    8) Please re-word "Skip" because it's not that clear. Do they appear at the start or end of their next turn? Or, do they appear at the end of their next turn, then do something else at the start of the following turn?
    9) Okay this is really nitpicky, but, if a Clockwinder uses Undo, their stopwatch is technically rewinding when they re-roll the damage, so they get to add the damage bonus?
    10) "Rewind" is problematic, because it takes an Action and you said it could be used after Attacking which is also an Action.
    11) The class has extremely limited ranged ability, other than (a) closing the distance with increased movement speed (b) dropping Disadvantage with their only ranged weapon attack if they're a Scout. or (c) using "Splinter" on the wizard. True, not every class has good ranged ability, but these guys seem weaker than most, and I don't think clockwork weapons can even be ranged (it's not spelled out and suggests the answer is "no"). Honestly, a clockwork crossbow sounds pretty cool.
    12) A character class based on clock parts and leaping around never once uses the word "Coocoo".

    You asked for other Techniques. Perhaps a defensive one or two? Split-second Reactions seem particularly handy, as it makes it easy for the Clockwinder to keep their weapons fully charged for maximum damage and fits their melee/defender feel.

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MoleMage's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: D&D Base Class Contest IX Chat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Fair enough.

    I've decided to list twelve, because clock.

    1) There should be a cost associated with making a new stopwatch or clockwork weapon. If the DM breaks the wizard's wand or fighter's sword, there's a cost associated with that, too. Now, that's the dedicated crafter in me talking, not the "DM interested in game balance", but in most D&D settings making a stopwatch should probably take more than a few hours because gears and springs are neither easy to make nor common to find.
    2) The wording of "you may add your ability bonus to the damage of both of these weapons" should probably be clarified, because you already add your ability bonus to your main hand and I doubt you want to add it again.
    3) The Clockwinder takes a significant damage loss when their stopwatch is ready, but they choose not to use it because they're waiting for a more opportune time.
    4a) I don't see anything in here about the Clockwinder either making magic weapons, or even bypassing resistance as if it was magic, and against many foes that's crippling.
    4b) Also, they don't seem to have the ability to make magic armor. Considering how much they lose when not using their clockwork items, at higher levels, this is crippling.
    4c) My solution to both, and also part of 1 I guess, is to have clockwork weapons modified weapons they find. "Say, you know what that longsword +1 could use?" Tempus says, "an hour hand, a ticking sound, and a chainsaw blade!"
    5) I may have missed it, but what's the Save DC against time powers?
    6) "Displacement Winder" should add the text "that you can see" because I don't like the idea of teleportiing through locked doors at 3rd level.
    7) I love everything about "Gravity Bubble" except the name, because I don't see why Gravity has to get involved in Time. Surely their enhanced reaction speeds would just let them point towards the bleachers and swat the projectile back at the source?
    8) Please re-word "Skip" because it's not that clear. Do they appear at the start or end of their next turn? Or, do they appear at the end of their next turn, then do something else at the start of the following turn?
    9) Okay this is really nitpicky, but, if a Clockwinder uses Undo, their stopwatch is technically rewinding when they re-roll the damage, so they get to add the damage bonus?
    10) "Rewind" is problematic, because it takes an Action and you said it could be used after Attacking which is also an Action.
    11) The class has extremely limited ranged ability, other than (a) closing the distance with increased movement speed (b) dropping Disadvantage with their only ranged weapon attack if they're a Scout. or (c) using "Splinter" on the wizard. True, not every class has good ranged ability, but these guys seem weaker than most, and I don't think clockwork weapons can even be ranged (it's not spelled out and suggests the answer is "no"). Honestly, a clockwork crossbow sounds pretty cool.
    12) A character class based on clock parts and leaping around never once uses the word "Coocoo".

    You asked for other Techniques. Perhaps a defensive one or two? Split-second Reactions seem particularly handy, as it makes it easy for the Clockwinder to keep their weapons fully charged for maximum damage and fits their melee/defender feel.
    I used twelve for the die size of chronometers for the same reason.

    1) I considered this and the main reason why I didn't is because I couldn't settle on a cost. I'll probably add one in, maybe 15g per chronometer? That puts it about in line with weapons and the moderate focuses. I'm still going to allow it to be reconstructed over a long rest provided the character has materials, though more for game balance reasons than for logic reasons.
    2) Yes, it's supposed to duplicate the Fighting Style like the other choices for Clockwork Weapons. I'll fix the wording (and make it stronger, see below).
    3) I'm comfortable with this behavior, but upon reflection I should make the benefits for having a chronometer winding bigger. I'll see about boosting these effects.
    4abc) I can't believe I overlooked the magic weapon thing. Really the baseline weapons should count as magical, but I like the solution presented in c. I'm going to try a variant of that.
    5) You didn't, I just failed to put it in there. It should be Intelligence.
    6) Fair point. It's meant to be a battlefield mobility thing primarily.
    7) I figured Gravity distorts Time, why not the other way around? But you're right, it's a bit of a stretch. I'll think of names that better suit the theme of the class.
    8) Skip should have said start of your next turn in both instances. I will fix this.
    9) Writer's intent is yes. I hadn't considered that specific interaction, but I feel like it's the best interpretation.
    10) Rewind is always an action. If you have Winding Strike (a bonus action normally only usable after attacking), it can also be used after using Rewind. I'll see if I can't find a better way to word that.
    11) While the brassbound warrior is limited in ranged ability (due to not getting a Clockwork Striker option for ranged attacks), the class as a whole is no more limited in ranged combat than a fighter. None of their techniques are melee restricted and some (like Duplicate Strike) are actually more useful with a ranged weapon. I definitely did write it with a lean towards melee play, but I think there are enough creative uses that a ranged build would be viable. That said, the changes I'm planning as a result of point 4 should help resolve this by giving the Brassbound Warrior the option to create a ranged striker.
    12) It's hard to make a pocket-sized coocoo clock.
    Signature currently down for maintenance. Expected completion March 22, 3046.

    Spoiler: Contest Awards
    Show

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Breccia's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013

    Default Re: D&D Base Class Contest IX Chat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by MoleMage View Post
    4abc) I can't believe I overlooked the magic weapon thing.
    It's the kind of thing that happens when you make something as complex as a..um...something with a lot of gears and springs and fine mechanisms, I'm blanking on an example.

    While you're looking at 1/4, consider the option of silver, adamantium, and cold iron clockwork weapons.

    I should add, I like the way this class feels, and if anything I feel it's a little undertuned since (for example) the Brassbounds are like fighters, but sacrificing some power for flexibility. I can't give you an answer because you'll win the contest oh no I've said too much because there isn't an obvious "fix", but, it wouldn't bother me if they had a bonus to initiative rolls or more reliable self-healing.

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MoleMage's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: D&D Base Class Contest IX Chat Thread

    Spoiler: Speedster v2
    Show


    • I see you've used exhaustion to gate a lot of the more fight-breaking abilities of the class. While my knee-jerk reaction was that a class resource would be a better gate for this, I think exhaustion works. The only concern is that exhaustion's normal usage is highly dependent on table (if your DM doesn't do environmental exhaustion, you'll be able to use your features with a lot more freedom than if they do).
    • The new version of Speed Force is a little unclear. Do I have to move in ten foot increments for the whole turn? If I choose 15 foot increments does that come with a corresponding increase in move speed?
    • Limiting Static Charge is good, but limiting it to movement over 30 feet seems ineffectual to a class that can comfortably run 120 feet every turn out the gate (dash plus Speed Force).
    • Adroit's new effect is odd, but I like the extension of bonus actions.
    • Lightning Recovery is good, as it allows the speedster to access their abilities more often at the highest tier. It is odd that it doesn't do anything for recovery outside of initiative though. If I get into five fights I can recover from the brink of death to no exhaustion, but if I spend the same amount of time resting, I get nothing? I'd allow a long rest to remove all levels of exhaustion but also require the speedster to eat a corresponding amount of food and drink (two levels of exhaustion requires two rations and twice as much water as normal for the character, and so on).
    • Lightning Master no longer gets the ability to use static charge powers without spending charge, which was my biggest concern. They're still going to be dealing big chunks of lightning damage, but now they have to wait a few turns in between, taking pot-shots with weapon attacks while they build up. I think it's better.



    Overall, you've addressed a lot of the bigger issues that weren't rooted in just being mind-bendingly fast. No more infinite healing, no more ~80 lightning damage per turn indefinitely, a lot of the more extreme uses of the speed powers now cause exhaustion. They still can move into and out of something's range remarkably easily even at early levels but there are tactics that NPCs and smarter monsters could employ against them (readied actions being the most obvious, though enclosed spaces and, hilariously, narrow hallways with corners because of the requirement to move in 10-foot increments are also available).


    Spoiler: Mage
    Show


    • You've got some "warlocks" in the HP section.
    • I'm a big fan of the spellcasting mechanic, except for one thing: it breaks the normal long-rest limitations on 6th level and higher spells. There are a few ways that you could handle this. My personal suggestion is to just stop their spell list at 5th level spells. This allows them to upcast 5th level and lower spells to 9th level multiple times per day (a unique trait) without letting them get into the reality-warping cookie jar of things like Time Stop and Power Words. You can reintroduce 6th level and up spells through a Mystic Arcanum style feature or even just give them specific spells as class features with extra benefits ("You can cast Time Stop once per long rest. Using Esoteric Font while time is stopped raises your spell slot level by an extra stage"). Another option would be to restrict Esoteric Font to a maximum of 5th level, but that would not be great as their first spell would be the only one allowed to be the maximum level.
    • Esoteric Font builds in power fairly well over time, though in the later levels it would be good to have more in combat ability to quickly boost so the class can get at least a couple good spells off. Maybe eventually let them spend multiple charges as a single action?
    • Shaped Font's wording is confusing. It seems like all fonts get the universal Mage spell list and their own font as "font spells" that aren't penalized by this ability, so how would a Mage learn a spell that is penalized? Through multiclassing or feats? If that's the only way to get a penalized spell, I would just remove the penalties altogether. If there's another way to get a penalized spell (like Mages can learn spells from other fonts' lists innately), you should make it more clear that that can happen.
    • The spell list looks fine.



    • Shaped Fonts should give a feature at 3rd level other than expanded spell list. It doesn't have to be a big feature, but they should get something.
    • I see a lot of World of Warcraft talents in these feature names. Nice.
    • The Shocked feature of the Lightning Font can cause outright death too easily (Chain Lightning upcast to 9th level can instantly apply a save-or-die effect to six chosen targets, with no risk of splash damage). In 5e, most effects that used to be save-or-die are now save-or-take a huge chunk of psychic/force/necrotic damage.
    • The 19th level features of Fire and Lightning should have a limit on use. Lightning's Conductive Currents is also odd in that it scales not with the spell slot spent to trigger it, but with the spell's base level.


    If you're looking for more ideas for spells to go on font lists, I suggest checking out cleric domains, both the 5th edition ones and the 3.5 ones (which go all the way to 9th level). Most of these spells were included in some form or another in 5e (though some got merged, like Cure Wounds being one spell instead of many, and others got shifted like Conjure Monster's line being split into type-specific summoning).



    Spoiler: Servant of Fate
    Show


    • Not all saving throws are considered equal. Wisdom, Constitution, and Dexterity are considered "good" or "primary" saves, because most effects that players will encounter fall into one of those three categories. Conversely, Strength, Intelligence, and Charisma are considered "secondary" saves, because they are less common and often less penalizing. Every official class so far has one primary and one secondary save, and it is generally considered to be an intended design principle of class building. With that in mind, if you want the saves to be based on subclass choice, you could either give the base class a secondary save and assign each subclass a different primary save, or you could give the base class a primary save and each subclass a secondary.
    • Four skills is a pretty restricting list. The shortest list in the PHB is the cleric, who chooses from 5 skills.
    • You have a lot of "dead" levels. Specifically, levels 2, 7, 13, 15, 17, and 18. While each of these gives either an additional flux or additional known anomaly (except for 18, which gives nothing at all), generally a level is considered to be not a dead level only if it gives a feature or a new level of effect (hence why I did not include 5 or 11 in this list, as getting access to Moderate or Major anomalies is effectively a "feature"). Level 17 is especially problematic as characters generally get a fairly sizable upgrade at level 17 (Fighters get their second action surge, spellcasters get 9th level spells, etc.). You can expand your subclasses to get a couple of these filled, while others could be filled with incremental improvements or utility features.
    • You don't have anything in the table for level 19, which should grant the class's final Ability Score Improvement.
    • Is the restriction on anomalies or twists of fate from other timelines total or per timeline?
    • I like that each anomaly has three levels, rather than each level having a list of anomalies at that level.
    • A formatting-only suggestion: It would be easier to read anomalies if their names were in bold, and Major/Minor/Moderate were also given some way to spot them more easily. For example, you could format them like this:

    Spoiler: Formatting Example
    Show

    Wound Reversal
    The Servant of Fate can pull flesh and blood back into place, healing wounds.

    Minor
    By spending a Standard Action and 1 Flux, the Servant of Fate can repair damage to a living creature. The Servant of Fate must touch the wounded creature to use this ability.

    The damage healed is 1d6, plus an additional 1d6 per three Servant of Fate levels, plus the Servant of Fate’s Wisdom modifier. These dice become 1d8 when the Servant of Fate heals their own wounds.

    Moderate
    In addition to the Minor benefits, the recipient may also choose to spend up to two of their own Hit Dice.

    Major
    In addition to the Minor and Moderate benefits, the Servant of Fate may use this ability as a Reaction to an available target taking damage from any attack. If they do so, that entire damage is healed, rather than rolling healing dice.

    In addition, the Servant of Fate may leave a short-term lingering effect on anyone they healed. If more healing is used on a target than the damage they’ve taken, that target gets half (rounded down) of the excess as temporary hit points which last one minute.

    • You occasionally reference Standard Actions and Move Actions. These no longer exist in 5e. Actions would be the closest to a Standard Action in older editions (being the primary thing you do each turn), while movement does not require any type of action and is simply part of the turn.
    • I mentioned expanding subclasses above. I suggest adding at least two more levels that grant Timeline features. Official classes have differing numbers of subclass features, but the range goes from 3 (Bard) to 5 (Cleric and Fighter), with most classes getting four subclass features.



    Overall, I think you have a good framework in place, and I like the mechanics around the anomalies' use. It could use some wording cleanup to make it fit more in the 5e action system, and it needs filling out in the core class, but the hard part (Anomalies and Twists) looks well polished.


    Spoiler: The Maven
    Show
    I think I came to look at this this mid-update, as when I skimmed it previously there was text for all of the features, but now most of them are just an empty header. I'll check back tomorrow, but if you aren't updating it your link seems to have broken at some point since you posted it.
    Signature currently down for maintenance. Expected completion March 22, 3046.

    Spoiler: Contest Awards
    Show

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Breccia's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013

    Default Re: D&D Base Class Contest IX Chat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by MoleMage View Post
    Spoiler: Servant of Fate
    Show

    LIST
    I've made some quick underlining and added 19th level, but you're 100% right about dead levels. It was something I struggled with and didn't find a great answer. Since the subclasses currently don't do all that much, other than restrict which effects you can take, it should be the fix, but it's going to happen when I'm not downing a bowl of chicken chili with the finest cheddar in the states with one hand and chugging black coffee in the other.

    UPDATE: The archetypes now have three skills not two, and abilities at 7th, 13th, and 18th levels. I could not find a realistic way to change the Future saves from Dexterity, so I tried to make their archetypes a little weaker to compensate. There might still be room for improvement, but that's what I've done for now.
    Last edited by Breccia; 2019-12-07 at 12:40 AM.

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MoleMage's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: D&D Base Class Contest IX Chat Thread

    I've rewritten Clockwork Weapon and Clockwork Armor so they are modifications to existing weapons/armor instead of creating new ones. I also changed the effects of Clockwork Weapon to provide a slightly greater baseline level of power and added a unique effect specifically for ranged weapons.

    I renamed Gravity Well to Arrow Time (like bullet time).

    Further, I've added new defensive techniques: Distort, Interrupt, and Phase. I also added a new utility technique in Extend, a new all-around technique in Predict, and a new subclass-specific technique in Warp (for Timespace Scout, and yes, it stacks with Displacement Warrior). I'm working on ideas for further exclusives still.

    Finally, I fixed the wording on a couple features (Displacement Warrior now requires sight, some Brassbound features were updated to match the new versions of Clockwork Weapon, and a couple of techniques had their effects clarified).

    EDIT: Added the first Brassbound exclusive technique (Reach) and saving throw DC calculation for techniques. Also put in a cost of 15g to replace a lost chronometer.
    Last edited by MoleMage; 2019-12-06 at 08:28 PM.
    Signature currently down for maintenance. Expected completion March 22, 3046.

    Spoiler: Contest Awards
    Show

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    sengmeng's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: D&D Base Class Contest IX Chat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by MoleMage View Post
    Spoiler: Speedster v2
    Show


    • I see you've used exhaustion to gate a lot of the more fight-breaking abilities of the class. While my knee-jerk reaction was that a class resource would be a better gate for this, I think exhaustion works. The only concern is that exhaustion's normal usage is highly dependent on table (if your DM doesn't do environmental exhaustion, you'll be able to use your features with a lot more freedom than if they do).
    • The new version of Speed Force is a little unclear. Do I have to move in ten foot increments for the whole turn? If I choose 15 foot increments does that come with a corresponding increase in move speed?
    • Limiting Static Charge is good, but limiting it to movement over 30 feet seems ineffectual to a class that can comfortably run 120 feet every turn out the gate (dash plus Speed Force).
    • Adroit's new effect is odd, but I like the extension of bonus actions.
    • Lightning Recovery is good, as it allows the speedster to access their abilities more often at the highest tier. It is odd that it doesn't do anything for recovery outside of initiative though. If I get into five fights I can recover from the brink of death to no exhaustion, but if I spend the same amount of time resting, I get nothing? I'd allow a long rest to remove all levels of exhaustion but also require the speedster to eat a corresponding amount of food and drink (two levels of exhaustion requires two rations and twice as much water as normal for the character, and so on).
    • Lightning Master no longer gets the ability to use static charge powers without spending charge, which was my biggest concern. They're still going to be dealing big chunks of lightning damage, but now they have to wait a few turns in between, taking pot-shots with weapon attacks while they build up. I think it's better.



    Overall, you've addressed a lot of the bigger issues that weren't rooted in just being mind-bendingly fast. No more infinite healing, no more ~80 lightning damage per turn indefinitely, a lot of the more extreme uses of the speed powers now cause exhaustion. They still can move into and out of something's range remarkably easily even at early levels but there are tactics that NPCs and smarter monsters could employ against them (readied actions being the most obvious, though enclosed spaces and, hilariously, narrow hallways with corners because of the requirement to move in 10-foot increments are also available).
    Thanks for the feedback! I will definitely be implementing the idea of eating rations to eliminate exhaustion, and I'm trying to figure out a better wording for the speed force/incremental movement confusion. Would a better limit for static charge be doubling the distance to 1 point per 10 feet?
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

    Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).



    Nod, get treat.

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019

    Default Re: D&D Base Class Contest IX Chat Thread

    May I suggest a theme?

    If I can my proposal is:

    Rebooting old Dnd classes (From older editions ) to Dnd 5e
    Its poisoned, obviously

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Jan 2013

    Default Re: D&D Base Class Contest IX Chat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by MoleMage View Post
    Spoiler: Mage
    Show


    • You've got some "warlocks" in the HP section.
    • I'm a big fan of the spellcasting mechanic, except for one thing: it breaks the normal long-rest limitations on 6th level and higher spells. There are a few ways that you could handle this. My personal suggestion is to just stop their spell list at 5th level spells. This allows them to upcast 5th level and lower spells to 9th level multiple times per day (a unique trait) without letting them get into the reality-warping cookie jar of things like Time Stop and Power Words. You can reintroduce 6th level and up spells through a Mystic Arcanum style feature or even just give them specific spells as class features with extra benefits ("You can cast Time Stop once per long rest. Using Esoteric Font while time is stopped raises your spell slot level by an extra stage"). Another option would be to restrict Esoteric Font to a maximum of 5th level, but that would not be great as their first spell would be the only one allowed to be the maximum level.
    • Esoteric Font builds in power fairly well over time, though in the later levels it would be good to have more in combat ability to quickly boost so the class can get at least a couple good spells off. Maybe eventually let them spend multiple charges as a single action?
    • Shaped Font's wording is confusing. It seems like all fonts get the universal Mage spell list and their own font as "font spells" that aren't penalized by this ability, so how would a Mage learn a spell that is penalized? Through multiclassing or feats? If that's the only way to get a penalized spell, I would just remove the penalties altogether. If there's another way to get a penalized spell (like Mages can learn spells from other fonts' lists innately), you should make it more clear that that can happen.
    • The spell list looks fine.



    • Shaped Fonts should give a feature at 3rd level other than expanded spell list. It doesn't have to be a big feature, but they should get something.
    • I see a lot of World of Warcraft talents in these feature names. Nice.
    • The Shocked feature of the Lightning Font can cause outright death too easily (Chain Lightning upcast to 9th level can instantly apply a save-or-die effect to six chosen targets, with no risk of splash damage). In 5e, most effects that used to be save-or-die are now save-or-take a huge chunk of psychic/force/necrotic damage.
    • The 19th level features of Fire and Lightning should have a limit on use. Lightning's Conductive Currents is also odd in that it scales not with the spell slot spent to trigger it, but with the spell's base level.


    If you're looking for more ideas for spells to go on font lists, I suggest checking out cleric domains, both the 5th edition ones and the 3.5 ones (which go all the way to 9th level). Most of these spells were included in some form or another in 5e (though some got merged, like Cure Wounds being one spell instead of many, and others got shifted like Conjure Monster's line being split into type-specific summoning).



    You've got some "warlocks" in the HP section.

    oops, thanks


    Below is my update to fix this issue.

    Spells of 6 level or higher may only be cast 1 time per long rest even if you have a spell slot high enough to cast them. This does not effect spells that can be cast at level lower than 6th. The limit increases by 1 per spell of that level. Ie a mage learns chain lightning and circle of death, they may cast two 6th level spells each long rest.

    Updated below

    Shaped Font:
    At the 3rd level the mage learns enough to occlude themselves from particular energies while empowering their connection to others. The Mage selects one energy source as their focus. You may cast spells on any font list, but spells not on your font's spell list are cast 2 level lower then the expended spell slot, and cantrips are cast as if your level was 5 levels lower. You cannot cast a spell if its effective level would be below the minimum spell slot level, IE if you chose Frost Font, casting fireball would require a 5th level spell slot and would deal damage as if cast using a 3rd level slot.

    Added proficiencies or similar tier things to them.

    It was a significant inspiration. I love how mana works.

    I nerfed the effect of shock to 1/2 spell level.

    Added a minimum slot level to fire of 4th, and set lightning to use font uses.
    Last edited by Lanth Sor; 2019-12-09 at 07:52 PM.

    My Homebrew: Here
    Competitions and Substystem Compendium: Here
    Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    sengmeng's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: D&D Base Class Contest IX Chat Thread

    Uhh, I think some unspoilered pics or quotes are wrecking my browser. Not sure who might be the culprit (could be my browser), but can we try to clean this up?

    Edit: I think it might be me. I'll look at on a desktop browser when I'm home.

    Edit edit: I hesitate to point fingers, but it may be Lanth Sor doing an unspoilered quote of Molemage's entire feedback post. I can't really tell. It could be my fault, but I can't delete the offending reply of mine that I'm suspicious of.
    Last edited by sengmeng; 2019-12-09 at 07:01 PM.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

    Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).



    Nod, get treat.

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019

    Default Re: D&D Base Class Contest IX Chat Thread

    Not just you. Now I am worried.

    Edit: I agree it’s like a quote of a quote maybe we should just respond without quotes when we can
    Last edited by Leathalsandwich; 2019-12-09 at 07:12 PM.
    Its poisoned, obviously

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    sengmeng's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: D&D Base Class Contest IX Chat Thread

    Now it looks fine. Did anyone else see the problem?
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

    Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).



    Nod, get treat.

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MoleMage's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: D&D Base Class Contest IX Chat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sengmeng View Post
    Now it looks fine. Did anyone else see the problem?
    Yeah I saw it on desktop earlier. Worked okay on mobile. It is better now.
    Signature currently down for maintenance. Expected completion March 22, 3046.

    Spoiler: Contest Awards
    Show

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Jan 2013

    Default Re: D&D Base Class Contest IX Chat Thread

    Yeah sorry that was my error, I had no idea that could happen. I was so confused.


    Edit: I just discovered D&D beyond Spell search function, so much easier to find elemental spells.
    Last edited by Lanth Sor; 2019-12-10 at 10:54 AM.

    My Homebrew: Here
    Competitions and Substystem Compendium: Here
    Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    sengmeng's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: D&D Base Class Contest IX Chat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Lanth Sor View Post
    Yeah sorry that was my error, I had no idea that could happen. I was so confused.
    I'd say it can happen to the best of us, but I have no idea what happened.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

    Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).



    Nod, get treat.

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019

    Default Re: D&D Base Class Contest IX Chat Thread

    Not to be super needy or pushy but I would appreciate feedback on the maven class.
    Its poisoned, obviously

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MoleMage's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: D&D Base Class Contest IX Chat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Leathalsandwich View Post
    Not to be super needy or pushy but I would appreciate feedback on the maven class.
    Sorry about the delay, real life always gets busy for me this time of year.

    Spoiler: Maven Feedback
    Show


    • The connection to the theme seems tenuous. I get that they are someone who has dedicated a long time to mastering something, but that really only shows up in the Weapon of Choice feature description, and it also doesn't stand out from similar classes already in existence like the Monk or Wizard.
    • What happens if you lose your weapon of choice? Can you repair it? Replace it? Does the replacement need to be of the same type?
    • Accuracy dice is a cool feature, but the wording could be cleared up to make it easier to scan. Compare the wording on Bardic Inspiration.
    • Cunning Dodge: I would limit this to light armor and no shields. The character could become proficient in another armor type through feats or multiclassing and their armor class would be unreasonably high (one level of Fighter before multiclassing into Maven would give heavy armor (18), defensive fighting style (+1), shield proficiency (+2), and Int (+1-5), for a possible armor class of 26 not counting spells or magic items. The best any existing class can do without magic is the barbarian, who can reach 24 armor class with a shield and maximum dex and con at level 20. Even limiting this to just the Maven's natural proficiencies, they could potentially hit 23 armor class with max dex and int (which is already better than heavy armor without magic).
    • You have Cunning Dodge in your table twice, but it gives no improvement at level 10.
    • Precise Strike is too situational at level 5 (it does nothing for monsters that are already normally affected by your weapon) and too strong at level 18 (effectively doubling your damage against most enemies).
    • Deadly Strike is a rather underwhelming feature on a class that doesn't give a boost to critical hit chance (either through reliable advantage like the barbarian or through increased crit range like the champion).
    • True Genius breaks the armor class issue open again, but it's a capstone so I don't mind as much here.



    • Warrior: This subclass is the only way the Maven has to get reliable additional attacks. Feared Warrior should probably require that the creature actually be wielding the weapon (as monsters generally don't have proficiencies listed for weapons, and humanoids of any martial class will be proficient in almost all weapons).
    • Soldier: Adding proficiency more than once to attack rolls at will is too strong, especially for level 2. At level 18 or so I'd be less concerned, but that is ripe for multiclassing abuse (as well as GWM/Sharpshooter abuse). Find Vulnerability should probably be relative to the target's armor class rather than flat. Swift Strikes is a cool feature, and Mental Discipline is fine.


    Overall, the class has weird scaling. Its theoretical maximums for accuracy and armor class are higher than anything currently in the game, but its damage output is limited in that it only gets increased damage on critical hits. Soldier seems stronger than Warrior for that reason. Its boosts to damage put it significantly ahead of other classes at low levels (especially with feats allowed), but it doesn't keep up at higher levels until it gets Precise Strike II, at which point it basically blows other sustained damage classes out of the water (with feats, the Soldier can get a static bonus of +21 to weapon damage, which is doubled against most enemies).
    Signature currently down for maintenance. Expected completion March 22, 3046.

    Spoiler: Contest Awards
    Show

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019

    Default Re: D&D Base Class Contest IX Chat Thread

    Thanks for the feedback, and I understand completely about this time of year.
    In response to the No additional attacks thing, I think of this playing like:

    I make 1 attack and have a super high likelyhood of hitting ( up to 100% )


    Then do a considerable amount, enough to still contribute to combat.
    If they multiclass into fighter for more attacks the miss out on potential damage in that attack.

    If I attacks when using an accuracy dice would that be fine?

    Maven Class Changes
    I made some changes based on your feedback.
    I changed the wording on accuracy dice (thanks)
    and gave you more (still not sure about that)
    I changed some features including the Cunning dodge feature.
    Added missing features and added more weight to accuracy dice
    Last edited by Leathalsandwich; 2019-12-18 at 05:12 PM.
    Its poisoned, obviously

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    PairO'Dice Lost's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Malsheem, Nessus
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: D&D Base Class Contest IX Chat Thread

    Welp, I just noticed this contest earlier today, so I pounded out a last-minute entry and got it posted in the nick of time. Hopefully the verbiage is clear enough and the balance isn't too wonky.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.


    Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019

    Default Re: D&D Base Class Contest IX Chat Thread

    Can you direct me to the voting thread.

    If it isn't posted this makes me seem like pushy doesn't it.
    Its poisoned, obviously

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MoleMage's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: D&D Base Class Contest IX Chat Thread

    Signature currently down for maintenance. Expected completion March 22, 3046.

    Spoiler: Contest Awards
    Show

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MoleMage's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: D&D Base Class Contest IX Chat Thread

    Only a few days left to vote and only three people have voted. Get those votes in, folks!
    Signature currently down for maintenance. Expected completion March 22, 3046.

    Spoiler: Contest Awards
    Show

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MoleMage's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: D&D Base Class Contest IX Chat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by MoleMage View Post
    Alright, I guess it's time to call this so we can get to the new contest. Votes are tallied, and results are as follows:

    Our third place winner at 5 points is Breccia with the Servant of Fate! Implement the new Anomalies system in order to produce magical effects of a variety of power levels!

    In second place at 8 points, PairO'Dice Losts's last-hour entry The Conductor. With one of the most unique class resources in this contest to date, Time Signature ensures that this class is always doing something, but also that their something changes from round to round.

    In first place at 10 points, MoleMage's Clockwinder. Using wind-up devices, you can manipulate personal or general time, but once you do, they need to be rewound. Good thing you also have a big clockwork weapon or the skills to move about quickly!

    It looks like there were three votes for Classes from Previous Editions, compared to two each for Partial Casters and Heroes from Myth, so that will be our theme for contest X. Expect to see the new thread in the next few minutes!
    Voting has concluded on contest IX! Contest X will arrive shortly!
    Signature currently down for maintenance. Expected completion March 22, 3046.

    Spoiler: Contest Awards
    Show

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •