The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Pathfinder High-Level mission to Godhood

Quote Originally Posted by Soramus View Post
    230 pm cst - 6pm cst. Depending on the interest , and the people who would wish to play I could adjust about 2 hours in either direction.
    That time works perfect for me, but I couldn't go earlier; I work nights, and 2:30 PM is about when I get up. Similarly, if we run over more than two and a half hours past 6 I'll have to step out because I need to get ready for work then.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

How many people would be interested in playing this game Via Voice in Discord? Pathfinder rules , non pvp except in the judging of said civilization for the right of godhood, maybe 2-3 entire civilizations for the party to conquer , some natural disasters, some races for beneficial artifacts, (maybe the destruction/stealing/undermining of a lieutenant or two) . Saturdays, in the afternoon cst every other week is what I think I would have time for and want to do. I would likely take only 3 players as its a lot of stuff to juggle (25th level PC with years of backstory with a civilization kingdom of somekind going for godhood) although, If there is not enough interest for voice, I would be willing to do text, but I would not be doing pbp , I would do text via discord and would still only be available Saturday afternoons biweekly. Let me know what you guys think.
    Awesome to see someone step up, looks like you should have enough interest to get something going. Personally, I'm here for the PbP, scheduled play times don't work for me.
    A man who dies fighting with his principles intact dies in glory. To expect enemies to follow the same code of honor defiles that honor, reducing it to a set of arbitrary rules.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by z3r0gamer View Post
    That time works perfect for me, but I couldn't go earlier; I work nights, and 2:30 PM is about when I get up. Similarly, if we run over more than two and a half hours past 6 I'll have to step out because I need to get ready for work then.
    I just meant the start time could go earlier or later, I do not think I could play longer then 3-4 hours on any given day.

4. - Top - End - #124

I just meant the start time could go earlier or later, I do not think I could play longer then 3-4 hours on any given day.
    Then we're absolutely good, count me in!

5. - Top - End - #125

HalflingPirate

Ok, so I think you should make another Thread, right?
    3.99 Project, Trying to Improve the 3.5 version, current fixes:

- Soulknife Fix
    - Samurai Rework
    - Paladin Fix

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Warlawk View Post
    Awesome to see someone step up, looks like you should have enough interest to get something going. Personally, I'm here for the PbP, scheduled play times don't work for me.
    Likewise for me. I can play a text-based Discord game or PbP here, but not a scheduled game.

7. - Top - End - #127

Quote Originally Posted by Athaleon View Post
    Likewise for me. I can play a text-based Discord game or PbP here, but not a scheduled game.
    Ditto. My schedule is to erratic to do anything other than the former two options.
    ~There is nothing more tragic than when a loving family is torn apart by something as simple as a pack of wolves.

8. - Top - End - #128

Quote Originally Posted by Justicar View Post
    Ditto. My schedule is to erratic to do anything other than the former two options.
    personally would prefer text based discord as well, over voice

9. - Top - End - #129
    Pixie in the Playground

While the offer is generous, I will have to respectfully decline. Voice games over the internet are not my cup of tea and my schedule tends to be up in the air anyway.

10. - Top - End - #130

BarbarianGuy

@Soramus. Applause for you for taking on the challenge of DMing this. Unfortunately I'll have to drop interest if you proceed, I just dont have the time to give to a scheduled game as well
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Collins
    Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree

11. - Top - End - #131

NecromancerGirl

230 pm cst - 6pm cst. Depending on the interest , and the people who would wish to play I could adjust about 2 hours in either direction.
    I could do this. Cat being central standard time I assume.

Now that we have a GM willing to run it, I will jump back into posting here. I'be been lurking and watching while people talk. (Not wanting to get my hopes up.)

Would the big 16 stay as is or change a bit? You would have the right to make tweaks.
    Last edited by Mai; 2019-10-23 at 07:48 PM.

12. - Top - End - #132

I cant do a regular meet up, so if thats the way this goes Ill have to drop

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Ok, ok, ok. It is clear we arenít getting a volunteer to run this, and it is killing me waiting and watching everyone else hoping for a DM. So I will step up and try it.

Two warnings though. One is that I am not used to running games without a module to work from, so I canít be guaranteed to be properly balanced at first. Second is that although I can post frequently for the next week or so, after that I should be returning to work, so my posting will drop to a couple of hours availability a day.

If that okay, then we can proceed. As far as where we run it, all recruitment questions go here. I will not answer Direct Messages. After selection, we can decide between running it on the forums or on discord. We can also play the game here and just have a discord for chat if the players prefer.

With regards to the game, I am fine with the concept. But I will emphasise what I will call the Highlander Rule: There can be only one. As such, the game will be both PVP and PVE. You can hunt each other or team up initially. But eventually you will have to fight each other to win godhood. That is the main change from the initial concept. The game isnít going to be about who creates the best civilisation in thirty years. We will be more active than that. It will be a war of attrition and survival. There will be NPCs after the prize as well, who you will have to face at some point.

As far as character creation, the theorycrafting I have seen makes me wary of spheres, but I will allow it. There will be no pregame crafting, nor crafting classes allowed. You arenít playing blacksmiths. You are generals and heroes. That also goes for your cohorts. As such, fir spheres casters, limit use of the Creation sphere.

Also, when you take a class, you take it all the way to 25th level. There will be no dipping into classes. I will put together full creation rules in a few hours, but they will be in line with what is already listed in the concept in post 1. And try to keep optimisation levels at moderate to medium. I will be picking characters at about the same level, since you will end up as enemies. And against NPCs it just would mean more work for me by having to power up the opposition. No cheese or infinite loops allowed.

Let me know if this is acceptable and if I have missed any important information.

14. - Top - End - #134

Sounds good

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by paradox26 View Post
    I will call the Highlander Rule: There can be only one.
    First, I like your style.

Second, when you mean "there can be only oneĒÖ do you mean there can be only one god or there can be only one survivor?

The later changes things quite a bit : I cannot imagine good-aligned characters entering the race if they know their path to godhood will be achieve at the expense of the lives of others.

The former, however, makes it possible for people to compromise:
    Some people might not CARE about godhood and just wish to seize the opportunity for wealth, fame, power, simply wish to do good by making sure whoever becomes a new god is deserving of it according to their own values.
    These heroes might be very powerful and therefor have been invited to compete but they only see godhood as a nice bonus : the more realistic prize is one of the above goals.
    This doesnít prevent others to just go for the godhood mantle by removing competition but it avoids a situation where three good-aligned paladins stare at each other and debate which two of them will willingly fall on their sword for the Greater Good.

If it is the later, though, and we have to duel to the death, it doesnít change much for my concept:
    Iíll still play a paladin king. Iíll be going for the mantle, fighting all whose soul is too dark to deserve it and then giving a chance to others to convince me that it will be the best for the world to back their own bid and eventually sacrifice my life in the process.
    Last edited by Johel; 2019-10-24 at 04:18 AM.

16. - Top - End - #136

BarbarianGuy

Ok, ok, ok. It is clear we arenít getting a volunteer to run this, and it is killing me waiting and watching everyone else hoping for a DM. So I will step up and try it.

Two warnings though. One is that I am not used to running games without a module to work from, so I canít be guaranteed to be properly balanced at first. Second is that although I can post frequently for the next week or so, after that I should be returning to work, so my posting will drop to a couple of hours availability a day.

If that okay, then we can proceed. As far as where we run it, all recruitment questions go here. I will not answer Direct Messages. After selection, we can decide between running it on the forums or on discord. We can also play the game here and just have a discord for chat if the players prefer.

With regards to the game, I am fine with the concept. But I will emphasise what I will call the Highlander Rule: There can be only one. As such, the game will be both PVP and PVE. You can hunt each other or team up initially. But eventually you will have to fight each other to win godhood. That is the main change from the initial concept. The game isnít going to be about who creates the best civilisation in thirty years. We will be more active than that. It will be a war of attrition and survival. There will be NPCs after the prize as well, who you will have to face at some point.

As far as character creation, the theorycrafting I have seen makes me wary of spheres, but I will allow it. There will be no pregame crafting, nor crafting classes allowed. You arenít playing blacksmiths. You are generals and heroes. That also goes for your cohorts. As such, fir spheres casters, limit use of the Creation sphere.

Also, when you take a class, you take it all the way to 25th level. There will be no dipping into classes. I will put together full creation rules in a few hours, but they will be in line with what is already listed in the concept in post 1. And try to keep optimisation levels at moderate to medium. I will be picking characters at about the same level, since you will end up as enemies. And against NPCs it just would mean more work for me by having to power up the opposition. No cheese or infinite loops allowed.

Let me know if this is acceptable and if I have missed any important information.
    I like the sound of that! Thank yoy!
    Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

There can be only one god. It will be up to the characters as to whether there is only one survivor. I think some PVP and betrayals of alliances would make the game more interesting, but I won't insist on it. It will all depend on how things pan out in actual gameplay. If your characters would believably agree to forego godhood at the last moment, when it is in their grasp, then by all means nominate a winner.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

There can be only one god. It will be up to the characters as to whether there is only one survivor. I think some PVP and betrayals of alliances would make the game more interesting, but I won't insist on it. It will all depend on how things pan out in actual gameplay. If your characters would believably agree to forego godhood at the last moment, when it is in their grasp, then by all means nominate a winner.
    Perfect then.
    A paladin shouldn't have too much problem with self-sacrifice for the sake of others.
    Let's just hope he finds a valid enough candidate to be worth it.
    And if he doesn't, well, he still has to try to prevent VERY UNWORTHY candidates to become gods, so...

This is both good and potentially bad.

This is good because, as I said, Iím horrible at optimization.
    So restricting such things along the lines you said is great to avoid the game becoming just an duel between rule lawyers.

This is potentially bad because :
    • I was going for a Fighter 5 / Paladin 20. If only one class is allowed, it makes things easier and harder at the same time. Would prestige class work for the last 5 levels or not ? I could go for Battle Herald.
    • I was hoping to use my cohort as a support adviser wizard who could craft magic items DURING THE GAME for my paladin while he is busy warring. Basically, the cohort would have been a living encyclopedia, a potion brewer and a scroll scribe, with the occasional wondrous item.

Could you also consider the following, please ?
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...4&postcount=26

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Fair points to consider. How about having to take a class to at least 20th level, not 25th. So you can take the final five levels in a prestige or other normal class? That still shows dedication to your craft, and then represents being able to move on to other things once you have mastered one? But only a single class would be allowed for the final five levels. Still no dipping. That should resolve things acceptably.

As for crafting, scrolls and potions are fine. In game, I suppose you can do a small amount of crafting during the game, since that will take away time where you could be adventuring and furthering your goals, so it would be a sacrifice. But you wouldn't want to do too much of it, even using a cohort, since they will be more useful doing something to further your ambitions. But still no crafting focused characters, so no cohorts who focus heavily on the Creation sphere for example.

Edit: The ring of unlimited limited wishes would be a definite no. That is very powerful and even at that price it would still be too much power.
    Last edited by paradox26; 2019-10-24 at 04:31 AM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Ok, developing my idea, but I'm going to be making a Spheres of Power Telekinetic, with strong shades of influence from Accelerator from A Certain Magical Index/Scientific Railgun/Accelerator. Focusing on Telekinesis and Warp Sphere. Unstable, claims to just be here for the fighting, but someone within the party knows he has strong protective instincts towards innocents and bystanders, even if he's brutal to people who commit 'screwed up stuff'.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Fair points to consider. How about having to take a class to at least 20th level, not 25th. So you can take the final five levels in a prestige or other normal class? That still shows dedication to your craft, and then represents being able to move on to other things once you have mastered one? But only a single class would be allowed for the final five levels. Still no dipping. That should resolve things acceptably.

As for crafting, scrolls and potions are fine. In game, I suppose you can do a small amount of crafting during the game, since that will take away time where you could be adventuring and furthering your goals, so it would be a sacrifice. But you wouldn't want to do too much of it, even using a cohort, since they will be more useful doing something to further your ambitions. But still no crafting focused characters, so no cohorts who focus heavily on the Creation sphere for example.

Edit: The ring of unlimited limited wishes would be a definite no. That is very powerful and even at that price it would still be too much power.
    5 last levels in another class :
    Perfect for me. Thank you.

Crafting in game allowed but not too much focus :
    Perfect for me. Thank you.

Ring of Unlimited Limited Wishes not allowed :
    Ok, fair enough. It was worth trying.

22. - Top - End - #142

BarbarianGuy

This is gonna be awesome! Question, should we create any cohorts we already have, or do we start recruiting once we enter the competition?

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Initial concept said that gates open to transport you and your armies to the city. So you can assume your cohort went with you, and create them.

24. - Top - End - #144

BarbarianGuy

Initial concept said that gates open to transport you and your armies to the city. So you can assume your cohort went with you, and create them.
    Great! One more question, are we allowed to make our own Casting/Martial Traditions, or should we use one of the premade one on the wiki?

25. - Top - End - #145
    Troll in the Playground

You arenít playing blacksmiths. You are generals and heroes. That also goes for your cohorts. As such, fir spheres casters, limit use of the Creation sphere.
    Oh, its like THAT is it!

*throws out all my work on a creation focused sphere caster*
    High Reverend of the Church of the Icosahedron

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

As long as they are rules legal, I don't mind creating your own martial/casting traditions.

Sorry about that, NoS. But the discussions in this thread about what could be done with the Creation sphere in particular had me greatly concerned about game balance. Since at one point someone mentioned that with it you could basically do anything they want. Just too broad and powerful, especially if it comes to PVP, which puts anyone without it at a major disadvantage.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

As long as they are rules legal, I don't mind creating your own martial/casting traditions.

Sorry about that, NoS. But the discussions in this thread about what could be done with the Creation sphere in particular had me greatly concerned about game balance. Since at one point someone mentioned that with it you could basically do anything they want. Just too broad and powerful, especially if it comes to PVP, which puts anyone without it at a major disadvantage.
    Sorry, that was mostly sarcastic anger. I think Creation actually isn't that beefy a sphere, even if you specialize in it, but s'good.
    High Reverend of the Church of the Icosahedron

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

That's okay. That was what I figured you were going for. I know you did a fair bit of theory work on that idea, but it just came across as too openended.

29. - Top - End - #149

BarbarianGuy

Here is my guy Athrofstos minus Equipment, Fluff, and Cohorts. I'll work on those soon but let me know if there is any problems with him so far

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Looks okay so far. Keep in mind that since yours is the first sheet up, everyone will likely, at least at first, be using that as the standard. Incidentally, I love playing Shifters too.