New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [WFRP] The Bloody Crown XI

The Bloody Crown - Continued

In that dread desert, beneath the moon’s pale gaze, dead men walk.

They haunt the shifting dunes of the breathless, windless night, brandishing weapons of bronze in mocking challenge and bitter resentment of the life they no longer possess.

And sometimes, in ghastly dry voices, like the rustling of sun-baked reeds, they whisper the one word they remember from life. The name of the one who cursed them to their existence of more than death but less than life.

They whisper the name, Nagash.

OOC

Urgrim

"Still, I'm thinking, the Reaches isn't the worst place in the world to spend a bit of time. I've seen worse. You from these parts?"
    Ingwald nodded. "From the Vale. Always said I'd make it to the big city some day." He looked wrily around at their spartan surroundings. "And look at me now."

"I hope your lads can take it in their stride as you say. I reckon we'll all see more unnatural things before all this comes to an end."
    "Wish I understood half of what 'all this' is," said Ingwald. "Things seemed a bit simpler when I signed up. Fight for the Captain, gold and glory, all of that." He shrugged his bony shoulders. "Now it seems like our share of the warring's done, but still we're out beating the recruiting drum, and when he's not running around after her high and mightiness the commander's shaking us out of bed in the dead of night to go chasing after gods and monsters." He shook his head. "Still... ours is not to reason why, eh?"
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown XI

Sieghard

'I think the fact that the Hound of Morr is apparently based on the legends of a very old, very evil vampire has caused a lot of theological headscratching - and will cause more when the Conclave arrives. While it would probably be simplest in the short term to claim the vampire is an impostor there are a multitude of reasons why that is a very bad idea. Still I'll try and help where i can without mentioning jackals.'

Sieghard didn't seem convinced. Still, he was willing to hear Adelbert out. "Whether the vampire is Nahorek or not, it's no god. Neither of us would be alive if it was. Way I see it, that still makes it an impostor." He said. "What is it you're worried about happening if we say as much? We can't have folk thinking it really is a god."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Adelbert

'The difficulty is that we have yet to reach a conclusion over whether there is a real deity that Nahorek the vampire has appropriated or has otherwise become mixed up with or whether the Hound of Morr never existed save as the legacy of stories about the vampire,' Adelbert explained. 'As I said we have yet to reach a conclusion on that matter. That is why I think it best for the moment if we never mention Nahorek's name at all - and happily we have his actual name anyway: Nakht-Horeb. We can just say that this Nakht-Horeb is a vampire that can take the form of a wild beast and that he is aided by the necromancer Klammenberg. All true without going too far into messy theological territory.'

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh... certainly!" Ludo said. It was a pleasant surprise: he had been expecting to go steadily more stir-crazy in the hospital, and fancied he could see people hunting the jackal and rebuilding the city from the window. The nuns had been a little frosty to him since he'd checked himself out without permission before, and so he was left mostly by himself. The company of the dwarf would be very pleasant. "I don't know that I'm much of a teacher but I can give it a try."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Adelbert, no one outside of the temple will care about any of that," Sieghard replied. "Telling them some nonsense name from a dead language will mean nothing to them. All they care about is why people are dying and whether the city has done something to earn the wrath of a vengeful god. And if we can't explain it in a way that they understand, then they will panic and cause no end of trouble. It doesn't matter if Nahorek is a real god or a daemon or whatever. They think it is, nothing we say will change that. It matters if they think the vampire is a god. If you can't tell them that it isn't, then anything you say is no better than telling them it is."

6. - Top - End - #6

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert grimaced. 'Fine, we'll see what we can do. With everything going on it is quite possible no one will make the connection in any case. Let's go gather up a crowd.'

Adelbert donned fresh robes (borrowed from the Temple the previous day) and left the Keep, making a beeline for the main gates of the Temple. Quite frankly there were many, many places he'd rather be but presumably he'd have to do this sooner rather than later. He wasn't even sure what sort of crowd if any he'd find at the gates.
    Last edited by RossN; 2019-10-17 at 07:40 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert & Sieghard

The Temple was still closed to laypeople, but Gods' Row remained busy enough with traffic passing between the east and west sides of the town. Coming to the south gate of the Garden of Morr, Adelbert did his best to put aside the vivid memories of Geheimnisnacht. Even with the sun shining down on the temple, it was hard to blot out the image of red eyes in the darkness.

The people of Savonne continued to pass him by, the clatter of carts and the babble of voices rising above the rooftops as it did every Marktag. He would have to find a way to get their attention.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You've got the map of the Temple grounds from the combat if you want to locate a good place to orate. Please do try to keep things moving - it's now been a full week of just Sieghard and Adelbert discussing this, and the other players are waiting.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

8. - Top - End - #8

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert hadn't known exactly what to expect but it definitely wasn't this. The life of the city going on as if nothing had happened. No one had so much had stopped him in the street to ask what had happened on Geheimnisnacht.

Cheeks burning red he turned on his heel and retreated back the way he came. So much for having to calm the mob!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard had barely turned to check on Adelbert before the priest was gone, vanishing behind the steady stream of passers-by. Standing for a little while alone, Sieghard at last gave up looking, and went over to the benches by the west wall where he had agreed to meet Urgrim. The dwarf was already waiting there, gazing up the street to the spot where they had halted Klammenberg’s coach.

The city streets were not the best ground to follow a trail, even less so after they had been sluiced clean by the storm - but prints or no prints, they had the eyes of the people to help them. An old man in the Street of Sinners said he’d seen a man riding a jackal, running west - the soul of a miscreant, he said, being borne away by Morr’s hound. In Shortneck Lane, between the Old Town and the Warren, a washerwoman claimed she’d seen it climb the steps of the city wall and leap over the parapet, though a jump from such a height would surely have broken every bone in Sieghard’s legs.

Others in the miserable huddle of tents outside the north gatehouse confirmed the washerwoman’s report: they had seen a black hound with burning eyes run through their camp, racing away through the ruins of the old Downs Town shanty with a man clinging to its back. If their reports were true, it seemed the Jackal had left Savonne. Footsore and hoarse from talking, the two investigators returned through the gates in search of a drink.

Backertag, 3rd Nachgeheim

Early on the morning of Backertag, Sieghard saw Morrslieb’s black wings as the raven returned to the keep, a letter tied to his leg. After a short while, the bird flew off towards the Great Hospital, the letter gone - climbing the stairs to the castellan’s solar, Sieghard found Irene reading the Captain’s reply. She looked up and saw him waiting to hear what it said.

“Muzio says to keep watch against the creature’s return, and ensure the book is kept under constant guard.” She allowed herself a small smile. “He says he will be returning to us very soon.”

~

Later that day, Valdes arrived at the north gate, summoned by Irene’s messenger. Listening dumbfounded to the litany of events that had transpired in his absence, he was grieved to learn of Astoria’s death, shocked to hear of the events at the temple - and though he tried his best to hide it, deeply confused at Irene’s change of heart as to why she had summoned him.

“So you do not want the Brotherhood to come back from the pass?” he said. He produced the crumpled letter he had been sent. “I was under the impression…”

“Circumstances change,” said Irene, lightly plucking her orders out of his hand. “We can hardly leave the city undefended with this beast on the loose, can we?”

“Of course not,” said Valdes, falling back on tried and tested courtesy. “Your ladyship’s safety is our first concern.” He looked to Sieghard. “Though if I tell you the truth, we could use more men. Alvarr has been turning out all those who cannot contribute to the siege through Alvarran’s south gate. Too many hungry mouths to feed. They are encamped in the pass for now, but their numbers are growing. I do not say that the Brotherhood cannot hold them back,” he said, a note of martial pride entering his voice, “but if our numbers make them think they can try… it would be bloodshed best avoided. That is, if you can spare the men, commander.”

~

Meanwhile, under Hieronymus’ reluctant leadership, the priests had returned to the temple. The blood was scrubbed from the floor, the relics in the sanctuary set right again, and a solemn ceremony was conducted for Liebrecht and Raqiyah. No matter how they scrubbed, the old stones didn’t feel the same. The question of re-consecration was one for the conclave: it would take some time for all the priests Hieronymus had written to to arrive.

As soon as the temple doors were opened again, many people came with questions about the events of Geheimnisnacht. The surviving priests knew their lines, and reeled them off as best they could, but already Adelbert could detect the thread of other narratives emerging in the questions the laypeople asked.

The first was that the attack had something to do with Elsa. As Irene had predicted, the city had seen witchcraft, and there was only one witch to hand. There had been too many witnesses to Nahorek’s theatrics in the Garden of Morr for the claim that it had been Elsa who raised the dead to gain much traction, but the tale-tellers had an answer for that: the necromancer who attacked the temple was a rival of hers who had followed her from the north, bringing their wizards’ feud to the Reaches. They had even given him a name, based off Ludo’s posters: Jon o’ the Jackal. The fire witch had nearly burned down half the city trying to kill him, the rumours went, and now he was looking to return the favour.

The second was a much more familiar line - that Raqiyah and her priests had strayed from the light, and Morr had sent his hound to punish them. This was not said too loudly among those of the faithful who still came to the temple to pray, but news of those who were saying it reached them all the same.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I’m pausing here to give you guys a chance to react to the events of the 3rd, particularly Valdes’ request for reinforcements - but if you are happy to move on, from here I’m ready to timeskip to the 8th.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Urgrim and Sieghard, 2nd Nachgeheim

"I suppose that's good news, at least for now," Urgrim said to Sieghard, when they'd concluded that Klammenberg and his master had most likely really left the city. "You could make sure the men at the gates know who to look out for, and so on." He shivered. "Can't help but feel they'll get back in easily enough, should they want to, though. Solid ground didn't seem to be too much of a necessity for travelling."

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    I'm personally happy to move forward to the 8th.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard considered the situation for a moment. "I wonder if it would be possible to make use of the people Alvarr has turned out. There's a great deal of work to be done clearing away the wreckage of the fire and rebuilding. If our stores could support it, we could ease some of the pressure on the men at the pass and put them to work here."

"How many men would you need?" He asked after a pause.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

"As many as you can spare," said Valdes. "I would say there are at least two hundred people camped in the pass, and the number is still growing."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Two hundred?" Sieghard repeated in disbelief. Two hundred women, children, and elders, all starving in the pass. Worthless to Alvarr, but an army to Klammenberg and his monster. "Esteban, I fear that even if I sent every man under my command to the pass, they would try their luck against the soldiers in time. They face certain death waiting where they are. Against your men, their deaths are no less certain, but if even one can make it around in the chaos, their chances are better than staying."

His mind raced, desperate for a way to avoid what seemed like the inevitable end for those who had been cast out from Alvarran. "No doubt Alvarr's soldiers have family among those the Duke sent to die in the pass," he said at last. "His men are mostly conscripts. Their love of their wives and children will be greater than their love of him. They could be convinced to open the gates."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

"Does it matter if one or two find a way through?" said Irene, airily pouring herself a cup of wine. "It seems to me it makes little difference to us. Esteban's duty is to make sure none of Alvarr's men find a way out, and no supplies find their way in. A few starving peasants are neither here nor there." She took a long sip. "There are always peasants starving somewhere."

"If their numbers grow any further, my lady, we may not be able to prevent anyone from coming or going," said Valdes, keeping a respectful air. He looked guardedly to Sieghard. "Perhaps the commander's plan would work, perhaps not - I cannot say. But whether we are to talk with them or only keep them penned in the pass, I could dearly use more men."

"That would depend on how many men are needed here," said Irene. She looked to Sieghard too. "Have you had any luck locating the necromancer?"
    Last edited by LCP; 2019-10-19 at 12:04 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Not yet," Sieghard replied "Those who claim to have seen him and his monster after they fled the temple say they've fled the city." There was no point in saying how the two had supposedly escaped. Irene and Esteban had not seen the vampire. They wouldn't believe it could survive such a jump. "Even if it's true, I do not doubt they will try again, but we may have bought ourselves some time."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Irene raised her eyebrows. "Well," she said, "I suppose better outside the walls than in. How many men do you think you can you spare?"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not trying to brush past your suggestion about turncoats inside the walls here; just the NPCs don't have much to add to it. If you want to pursue that you'll need to identify who's going to do it and how.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

17. - Top - End - #17

BlackDragon

Adelbert

'I'm not thrilled to be back here,' Adelbert admitted to Hieronymus as the reassembled priests gathered. 'But I suppose we have little choice.'

It was not a pleasant experience being in the Temple, or listening to the gossip and not knowing quite what to say. A morbid part of him wondered how Elsa would react when she heard about Jon o’ the Jackal.

Adelbert paused, and wetted his lips, apparently nervous about something. 'I know I am not a priest of Morr but I must request permission of the rest of you to study any tomes or artifacts belonging to Mother Raqiyah and Liebrecht. My own books were destroyed in the recent fire and there may be some research I can do on the enemy.'

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"I could spare twenty men. Perhaps thirty at most," Sieghard said. "The newer recruits should be able to hold the pass, but I'd be wary of counting on them alone against the duke's men or the necromancer."

"We could send a cart of food north. Offer it to Alvarran's outcasts as a gesture of good faith and in return all we ask is they choose someone to speak for them to talk with us. Just the one cart, we can spare no more," he suggested. "We make sure their man knows exactly what their situation is. The duke has abandoned them to die. The only way they survive is for the siege to end. And we offer them a way to do that. Their man finds someone among his people with family on the duke's walls. A brother or a husband or a father. They have to find him on the walls and speak to him when the other soldiers can't overhear it. They have to convince him to speak to us. And we offer him the choice. Either he opens the gates and lets us into the city or he does nothing and lets his kin starve to death."

"If he refuses, then he condemns his own blood and countless more to a slow, pointless death. If he trys to deceive us somehow, we drive the outcasts back to the wall and force Alvarr's men to shoot them themselves." Sieghard shrugged. "All it would cost us to try is one cart of old vegetables."

Spoiler
    Show
    It's less Irene and Esteban's input I'm concerned about and more LeSwordfish and Sentinel's OOC thoughts. I'm up for it and Sieghard might be able to handle this on his own skills, but as in all things, we work better as a group.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert

"That seems wise," said Hieronymus. "I'm not sure how many possessions she had - she was a ward of the Temple since she was a child." He paused, his mind seeming to wander. "Just don't take anything too far from the temple. The Cult of More may want it returned in the end."

Raqiyah's chambers were towards the back of the temple - and incredibly austere. Adelbert had thought he lived a simple life on Half Moon Alley, but here the High Priestess herself had been sleeping in a simple stone-walled cell.

Beside an extinguished oil lamp, next to her narrow bed, was a single book. The cover was plain black leather - opening it, Adelbert found the pages covered with curling Arabyan script. It smelt of dust and long disuse: this was not a well-thumbed book.

Sieghard

Irene looked reluctant. "And if they take your cart straight through to the Duke?" she asked.

"One cart cannot feed a city," said Valdes. "It's worth a try. But the Captain would need to be told. Even if we can open the gates, we can't take Alvarran alone."

"Very well," sighed Irene. "If it helps end this wretched siege, you have my blessing. Thirty men and a cart of turnips, commander," she said, looking to Sieghard. "Make it so."
    Last edited by LCP; 2019-10-20 at 08:20 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard nodded as Valdes spoke. "Starving men won't give their food to the man who sent them to die. The cart will give the outcasts reason to trust us. Without it, we're no better than the Duke in their eyes."

"If you will allow it, I would like to go with Esteban to the pass. I think I can help persuade the men inside to turn their coats. And if they prove more loyal to Alvarr than we hoped, I will return to the city right away."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Irene looked a little unsure. "You are going with them?" she asked. "Then who will command your men here?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"If you would allow it," Sieghard replied. "I have men I trust to lead while I am away. But if you would prefer I stay in Savonne, I'll do as you bid."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"I'm sure Esteban is more than capable of negotiating with these peasants, commander. As long as the necromancer and his pet monster are walking free, the garrison here needs an officer in charge." She drew in a breath, stopping herself before she came too close to an inadvertent compliment. "Esteban will handle it. You will remain here."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"As you wish," Sieghard said.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ready to move on. Sieghard will do whatever he can to help Esteban until he leaves. He'll stress that most of the men he has to spare are still fairly green and doesn't want them used recklessly. He'll also suggest that if anyone on the walls does appear to change sides, to send a small party in first to make sure it isn't a trap.

During the time skip, Sieghard will set watches on the gates and have men patrolling the city with the dogs. OOC, I'm willing to accept Klammenberg and Nahorek have fled based on what the witnesses say, but Sieghard isn't taking any chances. He'll keep the book in his own chambers under guard until we've found a better place for it. Before I forget about it again, he'll also have Dragos's men released. I keep meaning to do that, but end up side tracked. He'll let them know that he'll just have them hanged if they end up causing trouble for him again and that they're better off sticking with honest dockwork.

Aside from that, he still needs to replace the cannonballs...
    (1d100)[87] vs 64 gossip to find someone who can make or a trader who can get them
    (1d100)[41] vs 54 haggle on the price, base was set at 10gc before

And if Adelbert wants to do anything to try to deal with the rumors around Nahorek, he'll make himself availible for that. Otherwise, he'll continue trying to spread his own version of it in the taverns at night.
    (1d100)[53] vs 64 if you'll allow gossip, 27 if it requires charm.

25. - Top - End - #25

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert looked at the book, his beleaguered sense of humour causing his mouth to twitch in amusement. Of course... Fluent in four languages - six if you count Guild Tongue and Magik - and the book is in Arabyan.

With a sigh of frustration he put the book down and retraced his steps to return to his mentor's office. 'Father Hieronymous can you translate Arabyan, and if not do you have any idea who can?'

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert

Hieronymus peered at the book with a detached interest. “I’m afraid it’s not a language in which I’m fluent,” he said. “But there are plenty who speak it in the Old Town. You might try old Al-Khansa the bookseller? I’ve always found him to be most agreeable.” He paused to think. “Though I haven’t called in on him in a while. I do hope his shop survived the fire.”

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I’m going to move things along, but I’m happy to timesplit this.

Days passed. Having paid his respects at the plot where they had buried Astoria, Valdes left the following morning, leading Sieghard’s new recruits and a cart of provisions from the castle stores. It wasn’t much - root vegetables and cheap bread - but it was all that the hard-faced mistress of the kitchens had been prepared to part with. To people who were starving, Sieghard was sure it would seem like a feast.

The next day saw Brother Cezar arrive from Ravenskird, the first to answer Hieronymus’ summons to the conclave. Listening to the other priests’ account of what had taken place on Geheimnisnacht, he bowed his head in silence. Adelbert had always known the priest of Morr to be sanguine about life’s trials and troubles, but the news of Raqiyah’s death seemed to affect even him.

Cezar agreed freely to Hieronymus’ request that he take over Liebrecht’s care of the initiates, but seemed to harbour no ambition to appoint himself head of Morr’s cult in Savonne. “I could not hope to fill Mother Raqiyah’s shoes,” he said when the question was raised, shaking his tonsured head. “I will write to our sister temples in the north for aid. Perhaps the Knights of the Raven might take an interest in the news of this… creature’s return.”

Adelbert noted how he avoided using the name ‘Nahorek’. Cezar was a lowlander through and through - he would take some persuading to see his familiar jackal spirit as an enemy.

Wellentag, 8th Nachgeheim

It had been eight days since the vampire had fled, and Ludo was out in the quadrangle of the Great Hospital, enjoying some of the last of the summer sun. His stay in the house of mercy had done him good, and the sun finally seemed to warm him again: for a few days after their fateful encounter in Sundial Alley, he had felt as if he had been given a foretaste of what it was to be aged and decrepit. If that was how old Gill Brandyhill felt every day, then maybe there was something to be said for dying young.

Reclining against the warm stone of the wall behind him, he had almost drifted off to sleep when he heard a commotion on the street outside. He rose and headed for the front gate.

Outside, people were flooding onto the broad street that ran beneath the west wall of the castle, craning their necks to catch a glimpse of the man on horseback who was galloping down from the direction of the north gate. They needn’t have bothered - the man came riding right past them, shouting as he came.

Alvarran has fallen! Alvarran has fallen! Victory for Captain Sforza! Victory for the Iron Company!

A scattering of whoops and cheers followed him up to the castle gate - Ludo suspected they were cheering for peace as much as they were for Sforza’s triumph. Riding in through the gates, the messenger disappeared from sight.

~

Sieghard had been out with one of his patrols, sweeping one of the burnt-out streets of the Old Town with Dragos’ dogs when he heard the news. Returning to the keep, he found Irene in the audience chamber, reading a long letter from her husband with the Iron Company messenger standing proudly by.

“Commander! Have you heard?” There was no aloofness in her voice, no scrap of disdain or irritation at Sieghard's presence - she was beaming as happily as a child with a new toy. “Alvarr is dead!”
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Smiling, and still with some effort, Ludo hefted himself to his feet. Truth be told, he had barely given a thought to the siege while still in Savonne, but the end of Sforza's war could only be good news. There would be celebrations soon - at least if Irene had anything to say about it - and if he had anything to say about it, he was going to get involved with them.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    The timing doesn't work out for Ludo to go straight into the Irene/Sieghard scene I imagine, but for now Ludo (now at four wounds?) is going to check out of the hospital and head back to the castle.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"I have," Sieghard replied "People in the streets are already cheering your husband's victory. Before long, the whole city will know."

The end of the siege had come rather quickly. No doubt Alvarr's supplies were growing lean, but he wouldn't have starved so soon after casting people out of Alvarran. "How did it happen? Were we able to convince his men to open the gates?"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard & Ludo

Irene looked down at the letter in her hand. "Muzio writes something about... a mine?" She looked to the Iron Company man who had brought the letter, who nodded. "A tunnel under the wall. He says they cornered Alvarr in the square. Apparently that brute Dolokhov is dead too."

Sieghard could see that the letter was fairly long, but Irene seemed uninterested in the military details. She waved them away with a flick of her hand, making the parchment rustle.

"Muzio says he will be here in four days. I want the streets swept clean and that rabble by the north gate moved out of the way. On Bezahltag I want your men lining the streets in their best uniforms to receive him." It was probably unwise to mention that most of the militia only had one uniform. "You may begin the preparations at once."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I wrote Sieghard as coming back from elsewhere in the city, so seeing as the hospital is on the castle's doorstep I think Ludo would have ample time to join the scene - join away!
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

8th Nachgeheim

Elsa had returned to the comfort and safety her private chambers the day before, and though she was still absorbed in her studies, she could not miss the buzzing excitement that had taken hold of the castle. More than joy, she felt relief at the news. Hopefully the full and undivided attention of the rulers of the Reaches could now be turned towards the undead threat; conveniently, at the moment it could no longer be denied. More importantly, the war on Alvarr would stop bleeding away the Reaches' precious few resources in food and in fighting men.

She was glad to hear of Alvarr's death. Even the demise of the untrustworthy Dolokhov seemed like a net positive; she had not forgiven the Kislevite for all the lives that his opportunistic hesitancy had cost at Arrow Heap. Now they only had one backstabbing mercenary commander to keep an eye on, and he would most likely be leaving the Reaches soon.

"Any mention of Jaeger? Or Forkbeard?" Elsa inquired.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.