New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown XI

"We met another member of the undead in Kheneb-Ptra-urush." Ludo explained cautiously. "She told us about the book in the first place. I mean, originally we wanted it to clear out the undead in Kheneb and loot it more properly. She was one of the priestesses from the civilisation that originally killed Nahorek, and then she accidentally made herself and her army immortal by trying to use the book to defend against the Orks. There's nobody who knows more about it than her... but she's sealed inside Kheneb-Ptra-Urush and the last time we were there, we stole a lot of gold and they tried to kill us."

2. - Top - End - #92
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Adelbert

'She'll also perhaps be less than happy we handed the book over to a Tilean barbarian, rather than either destroy or return it to her as we said we would,' Adelbert said.
    Last edited by RossN; 2019-11-17 at 06:24 PM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Urgrim spent a few blank seconds processing this information.

"Well."

More silence passed.

"If ... this priestess ... knows how he was killed the first time,"

"then, uh, I suppose it's the best lead we have." The dwarf's voice didn't broadcast confidence. But as he pondered what he'd heard, his expression hardened.

"You wouldn't be bringing this up if it weren't our best option, hmph?" His gaze jumped between Sieghard and Ludo and Adelbert. "So. No matter what happened in the past - if she knows how to kill him, she'll want to help us." Now there was a confidence, but only the gods could say if it was well-founded.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

"In theory, I think the priestess may be an asset," said Elsa cautiously. "She must possess great knowledge, for a start. In practice, however, allying with her is much harder than it seems. Do you think we can convince the lord of the Reaches, or the Conclave, or the Dwimmulsons, to heed the counsel of an undead creature in our fight against the undead? 'Oh, she's one of the good ones, we swear!' Do you realize how that will sound to them?"
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-11-17 at 11:45 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard shrugged. "If we returned to the ruins, we'd be doing it to search for information about how to kill the vampire. We need not say more than that and we can judge what we learn when we learn it."

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

"We shouldn't take her exactly literally perhaps." Ludo said. "But we should listen to what she says."

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Urgrim nodded along. "No need to convince the Rinn of anything beforehand," he added. "If we come back knowing how to fight the Jackal, that'll speak for itself."

He sat back. "But I'm aware you need permission from the princeling to leave. I hope his wife's account has convinced him of the gravity of our work "

8. - Top - End - #98

BlackDragon

Adelbert

'If we are returning to Khenub I'd better go with you but that won't be possible until after the Conclave at the earliest.,' Adelbert said.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

"Then let's do that after the conclave and the coronation." Ludo said. "Sforza'll want someone to go to Manaan's Keep to collect some supplies and spread the news - I can do that?" he said, with a questioning look at Sieghard.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Probably the best way we have to convince him to let us take the trip," Sieghard replied.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

While the others talked of travelling plans, the coronation and the spear, Elsa let her mind wander. She had dispatched Morrslieb early this morning - by now, the raven ought to be approaching the Mere.

Morrslieb
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fog hung over the marshes south of Ravenskird, just as it had when the party had taken Rogar’s boat, one year and four months ago. Flying low over the Mere, Morrslieb spotted the jagged tops of the manse’s tumbledown walls rising above the fogbank, and flew in their direction.

Alighting at the highest point of the old ruins, Morrslieb ran beady eyes over the marshy island on which they stood. Coils of slow-moving mist clung close to the ground, but could not hide the evidence of human habitation. Ragged lean-to tents huddled against the old stone walls, the ashy remnants of cooking fires scattered over the damp ground.

A gaggle of thin, dirty people were gathered around one such fire, turning a gutted frog on a wooden spit. Others were coming and going in ones and twos out of the rotten wooden hatch that led down to the flooded lower levels of the ruin. Casting around, Morrslieb spotted Klammenberg sitting alone, just outside the circle of the fire with a wooden stick resting across his knees. The necromancer’s beard was growing back in a scruffy swathe of dark stubble, and his face looked pale and pinched. Fine-feathers is not looking so fine, Morrslieb spoke through his mental connection to Elsa.

A flicker of movement drew Morrslieb’s attention away from the scene below. A small bird had perched on the weathered stonework beside him - one of the colony of martins that roosted in the great willow tree. Another landed, and then another, the small birds staring up at the raven in unnatural silence. There was a rank smell about them, the crisp black and white of their plumage now dirty and grey.

The sun passed behind a cloud, and in the dwindling light, Morrslieb could see the greenish glimmer of witchlights in their glassy eyes. One of them turned its head, and Morrslieb saw there was no eye on the left side of its face - only an empty socket, and the gleam of yellow bone beneath matted feathers…
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa

Spoiler
    Show
    Elsa could sense Morrslieb's sudden fear. She shivered when the raven described to her the undead birds.

Clever, she thought. Simple but clever.

Turn back now, she urged Morrslieb. We know what we need to know, so turn back. Fly higher. I don't think 'carrions' can go far from their master, and their master doesn't fly. As far as we know.

Elsa looked troubled. Aloud she said in a low voice: "They are at the Manse."

She added: "And they now have undead birds... so I'm having Morrslieb turn back."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-11-20 at 11:07 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

13. - Top - End - #103

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert's eyebrows rose. 'Can you persuade the Tilean to launch an immediate attack?'
    Last edited by RossN; 2019-11-20 at 11:28 AM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

"Marching an army through the swamp?" Ludo said. "They'll be gone before we get within crossbow range. Or they'll do that thing with the storm again and we'll all drown."

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Morrslieb
    Spoiler
    Show
    Morrslieb leapt into the air, the first beat of his powerful wings scattering the smaller birds that had clustered too close. The sunlight was dying swiftly as he rose above the crumbling walls, a great cloud forming directly over the manse. As its shadow spread, faster than a raven could fly, the martins simply watched Morrslieb’s retreat, the branches of the old willow where they made their nests beginning to sway in a rising breeze. Thunder rumbled somewhere in the belly of the clouds.

Morrslieb had flown only a hundred yards or so from the ruins when the gale struck him, roaring down out of the darkened sky. Squawking as he tumbled head over tail-feathers in the sudden gale, he had only just righted himself when a hissing curtain of rain came sheeting down, the sudden weight of falling water hammering him out of the air.

Splashing to the marshy ground, Morrslieb picked himself up with a panicked croak, flicking water from his sodden feathers. The world had shrunk to the width of a few yards, everything beyond that lost in the sudden downpour - but over the drumming of the rain and the moaning of the wind, he thought he could hear human voices, shouting to one another through the storm…

At the Duke of Aquitaine

A faint, far-off rumble of thunder cut through the mid-morning chatter of the inn’s common room. No-one paid it too much mind, except a merchant at an adjacent table who looked up at the sound.

“Two storms in one week,” he remarked to his companion. “Maybe this damn drought is going to break after all.”

"Rhya grant us it falls on the fields," muttered the other man, in between mouthfuls of eggs. "They need all the water they can get."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

"Um." Ludo said, suddenly too panicked for further comment.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa managed to choke back a nervous peal of laughter at the customers' comments about the rain. The power to cause a mighty downpour by a mere effort of will could save the entire Reaches, yet the vampire was using it instead to bring down one raven, and over a place that did not even need water. It was almost too funny.

Focus, Elsa. Focus.

Morrslieb, you need to hide. Somewhere. Anywhere. Underwater with only your head sticking out, or in the reeds, or in an old stump. I'll cause a distraction on your end.

She pronounced the words of the spell, trying to use a conversational tone to avoid drawing attention to herself.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Marsh Lights. We're in the marshes, so that's very appropriate.
    Casting 6+: (2d10)[5][4](9)

Only one light will be created, so that it's less of an obvious "Look at the distraction!" and might be mistaken by the Ravenmouthers for a helpful pointer by one of their own wizards. The light will be placed about 30 yards away from Morrslieb; close enough to be conceivably the spot where he fell, and far enough that it's not too likely someone will chance upon him. It will move away from Morrslieb at a speed of 8 yards per round, which happens to be both the spell's minimum speed and the speed of a walking bird.

Morrslieb himself will try to hide. His untrained Concealment is vs. 19, but I'm hoping he's getting a bonus from his small size, dark color, and the pouring rain.

(d100)[64]
    Fortune: (d100)[69]

Edit: Argh. Here's hoping the marsh light buys Morrslieb another round or two to find a better spot. Or does that roll have to "stand", i.e. Morrslieb thinks he's well-hidden when he's not?
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-11-20 at 07:17 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard stared uncomfortably. "Elsa, what's happening?" He asked.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Morrslieb

Spoiler
    Show
    Morrslieb was panicking. Elsa could sense her familiar's fear through their mental connection, almost feel his frantic wingbeats as he tried vainly to get back into the air. It took an effort of concentrated will for her to calm the raven's frantic impulse of fight or flight and force her message through.

Hopping through the mud, Morrslieb crouched miserably under a rotten log, listening as the voices of the searchers drew closer through the grey haze of the rain. One of them spotted Elsa's marsh-light, and with shouts and the sound of splashing footsteps, a group of them hurried after it. Morrslieb slowly raised his head to watch them go - then shrank back beneath the log as he heard a spotter's shout from the opposite direction. A scrawny, malnourished-looking man was wading through the waist-deep water towards him, pointing to the spot where he was hiding. An equally scrawny woman was following after, the worn blade of a rusty gutting knife glinting in her hand.
    Last edited by LCP; 2019-11-20 at 07:37 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

"Elsa, what's happening?"

"Morrslieb's down and surrounded," Elsa said between her teeth, trying to keep her voice tightly controlled in this setting. She regretted not waiting until she was in her own room before letting her familiar get close to Gilbertus' Manse.

Given the very direct nature of her lore of magic, there really was no solution but to kill whoever approached Morrslieb and make the rest ponder whether they preferred to face Elsa's wrath or Nahorek's. Elsa was not sure the odds were in her favor on that count, but she would be damned if she let Morrslieb go down without a fight.

Morrslieb, prepare to have fireballs cast through you.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fireball, supercharged to double fireballs. Using a ball of sulphur as +2 spell ingredient. Only two casting dice because this isn't the time to get noticed with Tzeentch's Curse.

Channeling 88: (d100)[89]
    Casting 8+/10+: (2d10)[7][9](16)
    Chaos die: (d10)[4]

Scrawny man location: (d100)[67]
    Scrawny man damage: (d10+4)[6]

Scrawny man location: (d100)[75]
    Scrawny man damage: (d10+4)[13]

Scrawny man location: (d100)[86]
    Scrawny man damage: (d10+4)[9]

Scrawny woman location: (d100)[22]
    Scrawny woman damage: (d10+4)[9]

Scrawny woman location: (d100)[64]
    Scrawny woman damage: (d10+4)[9]

Scrawny woman location: (d100)[29]
    Scrawny woman damage: (d10+4)[5]

Morrslieb will hop away on his own turn. Edit: Two normal movements, not a Run move.

That part went okay, at least!
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-11-20 at 07:59 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Morrslieb

Spoiler
    Show
    Morrslieb croaked as he felt the heat of Elsa's spell channelled through him, and four lines of fire slashed through the rain. The man who had spotted him was roasted where he stood, while the woman yelped and dropped to the water, beating at the fires in her clothes.

From all around, faint voices began calling out, their attention drawn by the brief blaze of light. Wriggling out from under the log, Morrslieb began hopping away as fast as he could, heading in the opposite direction to the ruins. Behind him, the green-tinted light of a lantern welled up through the murk, the sound of more people - many more - coming with it.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The woman is not immediately pursuing Morrslieb now that she's hurt and has had a taste of what he can do: he's probably got a minute or two before any more Rivermouth folk arrive on the scene.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

22. - Top - End - #112

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert reached across the table and lightly touched her shoulder. The priests eyes seemed to be looking deep into her very soul.

'Verena, Lady of Mysteries aid my friend in this struggle,' he intoned.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Channeling: (1d100)[95] vs 63
    Blessing of Fortitude (5): (1d10)[5] (1d10)[3]

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa rose suddenly. She needed somewhere more discreet if she was to cast spells, and Morrslieb had told her that the fireball had just bought him some time. She went straight to the innkeeper and slammed three crowns on the counter.

"I need a room now," she said quickly. "Just hand over the key and tell me the number. You keep the change."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Some (underwhelming) rolls in the OOC thread. She might need that room after all.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-11-20 at 08:49 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

The innkeeper looked startled by the urgency of Elsa’s request, but took her money all the same. Most of the tavern’s patrons barely batted an eyelid as she hurried upstairs: stranger things happened in Savonne all the time. These days, at least.

Morrslieb

Spoiler
    Show
    Hopping through the muck as best as his legs could carry him, Morrslieb could hear the sound of pursuit closing in behind. It was difficult for him to tell how many his pursuers were - over the rough music of the wind and rain, it could be five or fifty, and the raven would be none the wiser.

The first figures to emerge out of the downpour were not human - though perhaps they had been, once. Bent-backed and maggot-white, the ghouls turned their long-jawed faces left and right, sniffing the air like hunting hounds. There was no way they could catch his scent in this rain - but behind them, the shadows of more upright figures were coming into view, a wide line sweeping the marsh.

Finding a clump of reeds that offered some cover, Morrslieb cowered down to hide as best he could. He flattened himself against the ground, screwing his eyes shut as a ghoul snuffled at a nearby patch of weeds. Somewhere off to his left, a man gave a cooing call, wheedling for the ‘birdie’ to come out. Morrslieb stayed exactly where he was.

At last, the sounds of the searchers began to recede, pushing further out into the marsh. He waited until he was absolutely sure they were gone - then, slowly, silently, he raised his head just an inch, and opened his eyes.

A pair of eyes stared back at him, red and smouldering in the dark. Looming above him in patient silence was the black silhouette of an enormous jackal.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Terror test for Morrslieb, at +20 for having met Nahorek before.

In her new room at the Duke, Elsa felt an icy pain shoot through the scar tissue of her right arm, as the image of what Morrslieb was seeing seared itself into her mind. It was him.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa

Elsa wanted to pace around the room, but forced herself to sit down on the bed, eyes closed, fingers on her temples. She was vaguely aware of the others' presence around her, but was not able to pay them any mind. They would not be much help in this situation.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Morrslieb's Terror test: WP 24 +10 (Link of Psyche) +20 (familiarity) = 54

(d100)[83]

Are we in combat time?

Edit: OH COME ON, THAT'S SIX TESTS IN A ROW WITH NO RESULT BELOW 53.

Edit 2: And I forgot to account for the -20 penalty for Terror, which negates the +20 from familiarity.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-11-20 at 09:35 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Morrslieb

Spoiler
    Show
    White teeth flashed in the rain as the jackal opened its mouth, lunging at Morrslieb - with a terrified squawk, the raven leapt out of the path of the descending jaws. Flapping his wings futilely against the wind, he struggled out of the reeds, the black shape of the jackal prowling slowly after him. It knew it could take its time.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

"The Jackal is there," whispered Elsa. "There is no escape."

I'm so sorry, Morrslieb. So sorry for sending you to your death.

She was tempted to throw fire in Nahorek's face in defiance, but serving as the vessel of Elsa's spite would be cold comfort for a dead raven. She instead tried to cut away at the strands of the rain spell to allow Morrslieb to take to the skies. Would it work on this strange magic? She owed it to her faithful familiar to try.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll try as TheSummoner suggests, but I'm skeptical, as the rain is not a conventional spell. We may still learn something useful in the attempt.

Dispel 13: (3d10)[1][8][2](11)
    WP at -50 = 38. Now would be the time for the dice gods to smile down on me again. (d100)[6]

Edit: Oh that's greaaaat. Amazing test, awful casting roll. I don't suppose Adelbert has *checks rulebook* a small silver hammer?

I think I'd better make my peace with Morrslieb's death. He'll still hop around (Defensive Stance), just in case the dice gods hate Nahorek as much as they hate Elsa and Morrslieb.

The magic somehow got lost along the way from Elsa to Morrslieb, perhaps extinguished by the rain. The expression on Elsa's face went from fear to a deep, mournful resignation.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-11-20 at 10:24 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Morrslieb

Spoiler
    Show
    As Elsa tried and failed to channel her power over the gulf of distance between her and her familiar, the black hound pounced again, teeth flashing. Again the raven flapped out of the way, losing only a single tail feather to the jackal's snapping jaws. Spitting it out, the beast turned its red eyes on Morrslieb again, its muzzle wrinkling in a fanged snarl.
    Last edited by LCP; 2019-11-20 at 10:29 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa could feel Morrslieb's terror, and it stabbed her heart with guilt. Amazingly, the raven remained alive. And so long as he was alive, she would not give up on him.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dispel 13: (3d10)[4][6][6](16)
    Channeling vs. 38 to dispel: (d100)[19]

Edit: YESSS. Might still not work at all against the rain-making power, but at least we'll know if it's dispellable, for future reference. If this fails, Morrslieb will at least transmit data before he dies, like a space probe about to burn up into Venus's atmosphere.

Got a Tzeentch's Curse, but I'll keep it. This is too important.

If it succeeds, Morrslieb will Disengage upwards.
    If it fails, Morrslieb will Disengage by hopping on the ground, as before.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-11-20 at 10:41 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

The others who had followed Elsa upstairs felt cold sweat bead on their skin as she spoke the words of her incantation again, focusing her will across the thirty miles or more that separated her and her familiar. It was not something her tutors in the Colleges had ever taught her to do - but with Morrslieb's frantic heartbeat hammering in her head, she felt herself doing it all the same.

Elsa Only
    Spoiler
    Show
    For a moment, Elsa saw herself in the heart of the storm. She felt the whipping of the wind in her hair, the sting of the rain on her skin. Stretching out her hands, she channelled the dry heat of Aqshy against it, boiling away the cloud that enveloped her - but it was only a tiny part of the greater whole. Lightning flashed in the depths of the storm - by its flickering light, the shadows in the clouds seemed to take the shape of a jackal's skull.

There was a crack like a striking spark, and Elsa staggered back, nearly falling against the bed. Somewhere in the far distance, thunder muttered again. The storm had not been stopped.

Morrslieb
    Spoiler
    Show
    As Morrslieb fled, hopping erratically along the ground, the jackal seemed to give up on solving this particular problem with its teeth. Walking slowly after Morrslieb, its body broke apart into a whirl of black dust, the red fires of its eyes burning bright as they rose to a new height. When the swirling darkness coalesced into a new form, it was the one they had fought upon the Temple mound - a withered mockery of the human form, swathed in ragged black.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nahorek transforms into 'human' form and casts Gaze of Nagash.

(3d10)[7][3][9](19)+5 (Wellspring of Dhar)
    Dark Magic - (1d10)[3]
    Damage - (1d10+4)[5]

Seems like his heart's not really in it today. 4 wounds - Morrslieb still lives.

The vampire rasped a word in his ancient language, and a bolt of Dhar ripped into Morrslieb, his feathers whitening and crumbling under its entropic touch. Ghost-lights swarmed in the air around Nahorek, their eerie glow doing nothing to disguise the darkness that still burned in his eyes.
    Last edited by LCP; 2019-11-20 at 11:01 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb