The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 61
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default What did Captain Marvel do in the MCU before Endgame? (spoilers maybe)

    I'm curious because her origin story took place in the 90s. So she spent like 20 years flying through the universe and never thought to track down Thanos who had a massive army and was going down to planets and whipping out half the populations of these worlds. Isn't she powerful enough to take just fly through space, blast any spaceship in her way, and kill Thanos? Is she to blame for all the bad stuff in Infinity War and Endgame?

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    Default Re: What did Captain Marvel do in the MCU before Endgame? (spoilers maybe)

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
    I'm curious because her origin story took place in the 90s. So she spent like 20 years flying through the universe and never thought to track down Thanos who had a massive army and was going down to planets and whipping out half the populations of these worlds. Isn't she powerful enough to take just fly through space, blast any spaceship in her way, and kill Thanos? Is she to blame for all the bad stuff in Infinity War and Endgame?
    She had other things to worry about. Like helping relocate the good Skrulls and taking the fight to her previous employers. We're told expressly that she went off to do that and I can't imagine they won't give us our sequel showing how that goes. As to why she didn't deal with Thanos...it's probably the boring answer but because we wouldn't have the movies if she did that. Like. That's the very obvious and very clear answer to that. Come up with any number of in universe reasons as to why that's the case.

    But no. Captain Marvel is not the reason for all the bad things that go down in Infinity War or Endgame. The galaxy is gigantic and she's a single person without a whole lot of resources or friends. After Captain Marvel, she's on her own save for some Skrulls. She's not a match for Thanos and his entire army and even if she were, there's other places with just as bad people as Thanos going around doing awful things. Thanos's plan may well not have been known to her other than just some insane religious cult-think he has in his army. Not something she'd ever have thought he could pull off between the 90's and near present.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: What did Captain Marvel do in the MCU before Endgame? (spoilers maybe)

    Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    As to why she didn't deal with Thanos...it's probably the boring answer but because we wouldn't have the movies if she did that. Like. That's the very obvious and very clear answer to that.
    I hate that excuse. I hate that excuse so much. "Oh, then there wouldn't be a movie." And I'm not just saying this because it's an MCU film. In the context of any film I refuse to tolerate it. If you're okay tolerating here then might as well tolerate for quite literally all of cinema.

    Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Come up with any number of in universe reasons as to why that's the case.
    I could do that. Or the writers and filmmakers could do that as that's their job. But if you want me to do so then the reason is she secretly wanted Thanos to win.

    Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    But no. Captain Marvel is not the reason for all the bad things that go down in Infinity War or Endgame. The galaxy is gigantic and she's a single person without a whole lot of resources or friends.
    She's had 20 years and there's a line in Infinity War from Bruce Banner about how Thanos has whipped out entire worlds. I can't imagine he'd be that hard to track down. Nebula tracked him down in Infinity War and got captured.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013

    Default Re: What did Captain Marvel do in the MCU before Endgame? (spoilers maybe)

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
    She's had 20 years and there's a line in Infinity War from Bruce Banner about how Thanos has whipped out entire worlds. I can't imagine he'd be that hard to track down. Nebula tracked him down in Infinity War and got captured.
    You're still assuming that she's even heard of him. Thor hadn't.

    Even if she'd heard of him, there's no guarantee that she's tough enough to take Thanos + Maw + Glaive + Obsidian + Nebula + Gamora + Thanos's massive army.

    Even if she were tough enough, there's no guarantee that she could find him. It's not like he stomped around announcing his presence everywhere he went, he spent all his time on a ship in deep space. Nebula being able to find him proves nothing - she's a cyborg who has worked with Thanos for many years, and would have a much easier time finding him than Marvel.

    ------

    It is not the writers job to fill in something that is not a plot hole and can easily be extrapolated from existing knowledge. Marvel didn't go after Thanos for any of a dozen plausible reasons. She didn't know about him. She didn't know where he was. She didn't think she could beat him. She had other obligations to the Krull that stopped her from leaving. She valued taking down the Kree more than hunting down some madman on the other side of the galaxy.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: What did Captain Marvel do in the MCU before Endgame? (spoilers maybe)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    You're still assuming that she's even heard of him. Thor hadn't.
    (a) How often does Thor leave Asgard? And when he does so when does he travel to somewhere that isn't Earth?
    (b) I spy with my little eye...ANOTHER PLOTHOLE! It's almost like none of these ideas were planned out and the people behind the MCU just started inserting random comic book storylines regardless of how well it would fit in with the films like trying to combine puzzle pieces from two different puzzles.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Even if she'd heard of him, there's no guarantee that she's tough enough to take Thanos + Maw + Glaive + Obsidian + Nebula + Gamora + Thanos's massive army.
    All she has to do is cause enough damage to the spaceship he's in. I know Captain Marvel can survive in space and I saw a clip from Endgame showing her taking down one of Thanos's ships. Can Thanos survive in space?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Even if she were tough enough, there's no guarantee that she could find him. It's not like he stomped around announcing his presence everywhere he went, he spent all his time on a ship in deep space.
    Except for that one time he went down to Nebula's planet to conveniently adopt her in an attempt to try and give these films deeper meaning. Funny how there are inconsistencies like this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Nebula being able to find him proves nothing - she's a cyborg who has worked with Thanos for many years, and would have a much easier time finding him than Marvel.
    She had 20 years. I'd imagine whipping out half a planet would lead to a lot of people talking about it. All she would have to do is search the surrounding area. But maybe you're right. Finding someone in a galaxy is difficult. I mean the galaxy is huge. It's not like Thanos immediately found Thor shortly after Asgard was destro-oh wait! Again, funny how some things in these films are very convenient and others aren't.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    It is not the writers job to fill in something that is not a plot hole and can easily be extrapolated from existing knowledge.
    Except here it is.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    She didn't know about him.
    She didn't know about the guy who how has whipped out countless worlds? The information never got to her? Tony Stark knew about Thanos or at the very least he knew about his army that attack in earth because he fought against it in the first Avengers movie. But you might be right. I mean it's not like Captain Marvel still knew anyone on earth and that individual had a device to contact her-oh wait!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    She didn't know where he was.
    Because tracking him down and getting leads would be impossible. Especially from someone with an army.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    She didn't think she could beat him.
    But she thought she and a rag tag team could beat him when he had all 6 infinity stones?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    She had other obligations to the Krull that stopped her from leaving.
    Then why did she return to earth at the beginning of Endgame? Isn't that abandoning her obligation to the Krull?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    She valued taking down the Kree more than hunting down some madman on the other side of the galaxy.
    A madman whipping out planets? Also other side of the galaxy - how long did it take her to get to earth in Endgame? How fast can she travel?
    Last edited by Magic_Hat; 2019-10-15 at 09:20 AM.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    Default Re: What did Captain Marvel do in the MCU before Endgame? (spoilers maybe)

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
    I hate that excuse. I hate that excuse so much. "Oh, then there wouldn't be a movie." And I'm not just saying this because it's an MCU film. In the context of any film I refuse to tolerate it. If you're okay tolerating here then might as well tolerate for quite literally all of cinema.
    Saying that like I don't. Or that I didn't say it was a lazy, boring reason. It's not an excuse though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
    I could do that. Or the writers and filmmakers could do that as that's their job. But if you want me to do so then the reason is she secretly wanted Thanos to win.
    Then you'd have to square away why she fought him in Endgame. I imagine you'll come up with something equally as absurd though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
    She's had 20 years and there's a line in Infinity War from Bruce Banner about how Thanos has whipped out entire worlds. I can't imagine he'd be that hard to track down. Nebula tracked him down in Infinity War and got captured.
    There are other people wiping out entire worlds. We know that from Guardians of the Galaxy and the Kree. We know that from the first Captain Marvel...because of the Kree. Which is who Captain Marvel is fighting. So ya know. Again. She's busy with other things because it's a big galaxy and there are more threats than just Thanos. Thanos was the biggest threat eventually, but he wasn't and isn't the only threat. There are the Eternals sitting around out there, all manner of Mauraders to take care of. Thanos is one big fish in a big pond. If "she had other crap to do" isn't good enough, after we're expressly told that's where she's at and what she's doing that's on you man. The MCU makes it really clear from all their outside Earth movies that Thanos isn't the galaxy's only concern.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DeTess's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: What did Captain Marvel do in the MCU before Endgame? (spoilers maybe)

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
    I'm curious because her origin story took place in the 90s. So she spent like 20 years flying through the universe and never thought to track down Thanos who had a massive army and was going down to planets and whipping out half the populations of these worlds. Isn't she powerful enough to take just fly through space, blast any spaceship in her way, and kill Thanos? Is she to blame for all the bad stuff in Infinity War and Endgame?
    You seem to be assuming that Thanos was the only galaxy-level threat out there (someone that actually read the comics could probably name a dozen or so that captain marvel canonically fought with at some point or another). Maybe she was just too busy dealing with all those other big problems that Thanos ended up slipping through the cracks. I mean, the Guardians definitely knew about Thanos, but they never really made an attempt to tangle with him, likely in large part because they had other stuff to worry about.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: What did Captain Marvel do in the MCU before Endgame? (spoilers maybe)

    Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    You seem to be assuming that Thanos was the only galaxy-level threat out there (someone that actually read the comics could probably name a dozen or so that captain marvel canonically fought with at some point or another). Maybe she was just too busy dealing with all those other big problems that Thanos ended up slipping through the cracks. I mean, the Guardians definitely knew about Thanos, but they never really made an attempt to tangle with him, likely in large part because they had other stuff to worry about.
    Oh hey that's a good point. Can they show that? Can they show that in the films? Can they establish any of this stuff? Can the people who make these films at least look as though they care about making a good product that can't just be summed up with the phrase "Good guy strong and make punches and shot lasers and go zoom-zoom!"?

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    Default Re: What did Captain Marvel do in the MCU before Endgame? (spoilers maybe)

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
    Oh hey that's a good point. Can they show that? Can they show that in the films? Can they establish any of this stuff? Can the people who make these films at least look as though they care about making a good product that can't just be summed up with the phrase "Good guy strong and make punches and shot lasers and go zoom-zoom!"?
    Your bias is showing.

    They do show it though. Not much else to say. You've got a hate-boner for the MCU. It's well known. You find the smallest thing to pick apart to the point that they're not even legitimate issues. This is in spite of the fact that the MCU has very clear flaws that have been discussed to death. This is in the face of the knowledge that not every movie in the MCU is solid gold. Lookin' at you Thor's 1 and 2, Ant-Man 2 and The Incredible Hulk.

    We get it. You don't like the MCU.
    Last edited by Razade; 2019-10-15 at 09:33 AM.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DeTess's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: What did Captain Marvel do in the MCU before Endgame? (spoilers maybe)

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
    Oh hey that's a good point. Can they show that? Can they show that in the films? Can they establish any of this stuff? Can the people who make these films at least look as though they care about making a good product that can't just be summed up with the phrase "Good guy strong and make punches and shot lasers and go zoom-zoom!"?
    Hey, I completely agree. The lord of the rings trilogy is also garbage because they never showed why Aragorn didn't take over Gondor before Sauron's return so he could have the armies in place and ready to contain the dark lord. And House is an absolutely garbage medical show because House never figures out the universal cure for cancer despite being shown as really smart. And the Doctor could have just traveled all the way back in time to prevent all the things from ever being a problem...

    Seriously, though what are you trying to achieve here? If you demand that everything relevant ever are always shown on screen, then every movie ever is full of plot holes. Yes, even that one you really like and think is perfect. Maybe you should just take a breather and let go of this hate you've got for MCU? There's probably lots of media out there that you do enjoy, and you'll be happier that way.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2019-10-15 at 09:37 AM.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    Default Re: What did Captain Marvel do in the MCU before Endgame? (spoilers maybe)

    Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    House is an absolutely garbage medical show because House never figures out the universal cure for cancer despite being shown as really smart
    Hey now. House is an absolutely garbage medical show because it has about as much real medicine in it as a sugar pill. House is an amazing drama because the characters and situations shown are insanely well written and the characters are deep and flawed and boy are most of the main cast amazing actors and actresses. But House is, as far as medicine goes, garbage.

    For the record, the MCU is also a garbage medical show.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: What did Captain Marvel do in the MCU before Endgame? (spoilers maybe)

    Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    Seriously, though what are you trying to achieve here? If you demand that everything relevant ever are always shown on screen, then every movie ever is full of plot holes. Yes, even that one you really like and think is perfect.
    20 years! Madman whipping out half the population of planets! She can casually fly to earth in no time from wherever she was in the universe! She blew up one of Thanos's ships with ease in Endgame. That doesn't add up! These aren't minor plot holes that can just be overlooked.

    Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    Maybe you should just take a breather and let go of this hate you've got for MCU? There's probably lots of media out there that you do enjoy, and you'll be happier that way.
    And I could say people need to stop worshiping these films and overlooking these major plothole.

    edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    For the record, the MCU is also a garbage medical show.
    Okay, that genuinely made me laugh!
    Last edited by Magic_Hat; 2019-10-15 at 09:37 AM.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DeTess's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: What did Captain Marvel do in the MCU before Endgame? (spoilers maybe)

    Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Hey now. House is an absolutely garbage medical show because it has about as much real medicine in it as a sugar pill. House is an amazing drama because the characters and situations shown are insanely well written and the characters are deep and flawed and boy are most of the main cast amazing actors and actresses. But House is, as far as medicine goes, garbage.

    For the record, the MCU is also a garbage medical show.
    Sorry, let me add a sarcasm marker to that text :P I agree that it is an pretty good drama though, I was just using random examples of series and movies I know to illustrate my point.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013

    Default Re: What did Captain Marvel do in the MCU before Endgame? (spoilers maybe)

    The big question here is: Why didn't Captain Marvel fly to Middle Earth and punch Sauron in the eye?

    ...Hey, it's about as sensible a question as anything else in this thread.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DeTess's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: What did Captain Marvel do in the MCU before Endgame? (spoilers maybe)

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
    And I could say people need to stop worshiping these films and overlooking these major plothole.
    Every movie has 'major plotholes' if you're determined enough to find them. Anyway,you are obviously rather upset about the MCU, but is it really worth it trying to make everyone else upset about it too? Does the very existence of the MCU bother you so much that you need to make everyone else miserable too?
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Lvl 2 Expert's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Tulips Cheese & Rock&Roll
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What did Captain Marvel do in the MCU before Endgame? (spoilers maybe)

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
    Oh hey that's a good point. Can they show that? Can they show that in the films? Can they establish any of this stuff?
    They did. One of the folks asks her why she was not on Earth helping them and she said that Earth had the Avengers, while most planets do not, so she was needed more elsewhere.

    It doesn't specifically address why she was not helping other planets fend off Thanos, but we can extrapolate. There was other really big stuff going on in other really desperate places.

    It's a short moment, but this is a heist movie and a war movie back to back with a total of a few dozen main characters. I'm not sure it would have been reasonable to ask for several scenes of show don't tell on this one flashy character. Hulk only gets a few sentences for telling us how his personalities now have completely merged, a process that could have been stretched out over at least two solo movies by itself. The only person in Endgame who gets anywhere near the screen time his side story deserves is Tony Stark, because he's the one undisputed main character of the MCU and this is his big final movie.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2019-10-15 at 09:41 AM.
    The ultimate OOTS cookie cutter nameless soldier is the hobgoblin.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: What did Captain Marvel do in the MCU before Endgame? (spoilers maybe)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    The big question here is: Why didn't Captain Marvel fly to Middle Earth and punch Sauron in the eye?
    Give it a few years and I'm sure Disney will permanently own the rights to that and everything else so yeah.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    ...Hey, it's about as sensible a question as anything else in this thread.
    You're funny. But yeah sure. Not bothering to look for someone once when you had 20 years is just as valid as why doesn't this character travel to another fictional universe and those events happened millennia before her birth. Yep. Both questions are basically the same here.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Kitten Champion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: What did Captain Marvel do in the MCU before Endgame? (spoilers maybe)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    The big question here is: Why didn't Captain Marvel fly to Middle Earth and punch Sauron in the eye?

    ...Hey, it's about as sensible a question as anything else in this thread.
    I'm sure the Eagles would've stopped her. They wanted Sauron to win, you see, that's why they didn't bother to do anything until the third movie.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: What did Captain Marvel do in the MCU before Endgame? (spoilers maybe)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    I'm sure the Eagles would've stopped her. They wanted Sauron to win, you see, that's why they didn't bother to do anything until the third movie.
    Yeah, you're right. That is a plothole and I guess I should just learn to live with these things in all media...except it is explained that the Eagles are their own independent race and didn't want to get involved in the war until that point. There! Someone explained that at one point. Now people behind the MCU please do that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    They did. One of the folks asks her why she was not on Earth helping them and she said that Earth had the Avengers, while most planets do not, so she was needed more elsewhere.
    How did she know about the Avengers? Didn't she leave earth before the year 2000 and the Avengers as we know them in the MCU didn't form until like 2012 (at least that's when the first Avengers film came out)? The timeline for the MCU is more confusing than the X-Men films.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    It's a short moment, but this is a heist movie and a war movie back to back with a total of a few dozen main characters. I'm not sure it would have been reasonable to ask for several scenes of show don't tell on this one flashy character. Hulk only gets a few sentences for telling us how his personalities now have completely merged, a process that could have been stretched out over at least two solo movies by itself. The only person in Endgame who gets anywhere near the screen time his side story deserves is Tony Stark, because he's the one undisputed main character of the MCU and this is his big final movie.
    Yes! They need to explain this stuff. Maybe sacrifice one of the action scenes to get that exposition out. Oh wait they can't do that. Because that seems to be the only thing people care about when watching these films: "Strong superhero has powerful punch! YAY!" Maybe get ride of the scene where Thor plays Fortnite. Oh wait can't do that. Disney and Marvel needs that product placement because...because they don't have enough money.

    I guess it would be difficult to get the exposition in to explain these things. I mean it's not like Endgame is a three hour film and the 22nd film in a series and said exposition could have been delivered in a previous film-OH!

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What did Captain Marvel do in the MCU before Endgame? (spoilers maybe)

    Captain Marvel not taking out Thanos earlier isn't a plot hole. It's a plot contrivance they are very different things. Plot holes are mistakes in the film that the story cannot account for. A plot contrivance is simply characters doing things for the sake of the story, that could have been handled more easily.

    A Person hiding in a bathroom from a slasher instead of running into the next house is a plot contrivance not a plot hole. A character going to spend time fighting villains offscreen instead of dealing with the big bad, is a plot contrivance, not a plot hole.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Kekkersboy

    My gaming and ideas channel.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: What did Captain Marvel do in the MCU before Endgame? (spoilers maybe)

    Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    Captain Marvel not taking out Thanos earlier isn't a plot hole. It's a plot contrivance they are very different things. Plot holes are mistakes in the film that the story cannot account for. A plot contrivance is simply characters doing things for the sake of the story, that could have been handled more easily.

    A Person hiding in a bathroom from a slasher instead of running into the next house is a plot contrivance not a plot hole. A character going to spend time fighting villains offscreen instead of dealing with the big bad, is a plot contrivance, not a plot hole.
    Okay. What did she do for 20 years and how did she never learn of him and do nothing about him? All I'm asking here really.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What did Captain Marvel do in the MCU before Endgame? (spoilers maybe)

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
    Okay. What did she do for 20 years and how did she never learn of him and do nothing about him? All I'm asking here really.
    In the film she says she was taking care of other planets. And it's a big galaxy. Thor did space travel all the time and he'd never heard of Thanos. Thanos attacked lots of planets, but not everyone ins space knew about him.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Kekkersboy

    My gaming and ideas channel.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What did Captain Marvel do in the MCU before Endgame? (spoilers maybe)

    Whipping
    1. a thrashing or beating with a whip or similar implement
    2. to mix cream or the clear part of an egg very hard until it becomes stiff

    Wiping:
    1. remove or eliminate (something) completely

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Lvl 2 Expert's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Tulips Cheese & Rock&Roll
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What did Captain Marvel do in the MCU before Endgame? (spoilers maybe)

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
    How did she know about the Avengers? Didn't she leave earth before the year 2000 and the Avengers as we know them in the MCU didn't form until like 2012 (at least that's when the first Avengers film came out)? The timeline for the MCU is more confusing than the X-Men films.
    She knew because Nick Fury has had ways to contact her, as established in that otherwise just very depressing and pointless scene at the end of Infinity War. Luckily, all the stuff where the Earth got threatened by galactic supervillains three times in one week happened after the Avengers formed. So unless you expect her to swing by to fix our wars and terrorism and such for us she had no reason to return, or no more reason to return than to go to pretty much every other planet that's not perfect either anyway.

    You make a good point on the "how did she know?" though. I mean, it's not like we can expect her to know about everything that's going on anywhere and instantly react to it, like say Thanos wiping out half a planet within a week before disappearing again.

    I mean it's not like Endgame is a three hour film and the 22nd film in a series and said exposition could have been delivered in a previous film-OH!
    Like the film where she (from what I heard, haven't seen it yet) explicitly left the Earth to go solve uncountable problems out in our huge universe? Yeah, it might have been better if they had a scene in there where she explicitly left the Earth to go solve uncountable problems out in our huge universe.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2019-10-15 at 10:18 AM.
    The ultimate OOTS cookie cutter nameless soldier is the hobgoblin.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: What did Captain Marvel do in the MCU before Endgame? (spoilers maybe)

    Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    In the film she says she was taking care of other planets. And it's a big galaxy. Thor did space travel all the time and he'd never heard of Thanos. Thanos attacked lots of planets, but not everyone ins space knew about him.
    I wanna know how that knowledge never reached either of them. Earth is a pretty big place but we hear stories of things happening all over the planet on the news. Yeah, galaxy is a lot bigger than a planet, but what is a planet to a galaxy. Would you say habitable planet is to galaxy as neighborhood is to planet? If so if someone was whipping out entire neighborhoods in Asia I person in North America would still learn about it.

    Also the Peter Dinklage dwarf in Infinity War apparently met Thanos long ago and Thor and the other Asgardians were responsible for protecting them. How did no Asgardian ever check up on the dwarves? So Age of Ultron came out in 2015 with the post credits scene of Thanos with his glove and Infinity War in 2018. No one checked on the dwarves between then? Or even before the completion of the gauntlet? It's almost like the people who made these things just threw that scene in in Age of Ultron to get people hyped never thinking how it might tie in to the rest of the MCU and then introduced who made Thanos's gauntlet in Infinity War again not caring how it would fit in with the larger picture. Hey why didn't Thanos just go into Asgard and take the infinity gauntlet in the vaults of Asgard? Oh wait that was a fake. Remember how in the first Thor movie there's a shot showing the infinity gauntlet in the background and in Thor Ragnorak they had a scene devoted to Hela saying that infinity gauntlet was a fake. It's almost like the makers of Thor put that in there because they thought it was a cool easter egg but no one thought to look at their work and tell them to take it out because the MCU would eventually do Infinity Gauntlet storyline so we needed a scene to retcon that mistake.

    Do I even again have to ask if the people who make these films care about consistency?

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What did Captain Marvel do in the MCU before Endgame? (spoilers maybe)

    Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    So unless you expect her to swing by to fix our wars and terrorism and such for us she had no reason to return, or no more reason to return than to go to pretty much every other planet that's not perfect either anyway.
    Why not? That's kind of how Tony got started, right? And is kind of his entire story arc in his solo movies - the terrorists who captured him and their supporters, other countries and companies attempting to make their own weapons of war, and then terrorism again in the final one.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What did Captain Marvel do in the MCU before Endgame? (spoilers maybe)

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
    There! Someone explained that at one point. Now people behind the MCU please do that.
    .
    .
    .
    Yes! They need to explain this stuff. Maybe sacrifice one of the action scenes to get that exposition out. Oh wait they can't do that. Because that seems to be the only thing people care about when watching these films: "Strong superhero has powerful punch! YAY!" Maybe get ride of the scene where Thor plays Fortnite. Oh wait can't do that. Disney and Marvel needs that product placement because...because they don't have enough money.

    I guess it would be difficult to get the exposition in to explain these things. I mean it's not like Endgame is a three hour film and the 22nd film in a series and said exposition could have been delivered in a previous film-OH!
    I'll answer your first point in-story: they did explain it. Captain Marvel says, in Endgame, "I'm busy doing things elsewhere in the galaxy." It's one thing if you didn't like the reason, but there is a reason. Stop asserting that they never gave one.

    I'll answer your second point out-of-story: it's not worth anyone's time except yours. The MCU fanbase is huge and you are in the vast minority in your hate for this plot point. Almost everyone else who watched the movie heard Captain Marvel say "I'm busy" and said "oh okay, she said she was busy, let's focus on the A Team."

    You said it yourself -- this movie was 3 hours long. Another explanation scene would have made it feel longer. And from a writing perspective, you can't just "sacrifice an action scene." Stories have a cadence, things ebb and flow, and scenes aren't interchangeable. I'd challenge you to name the action scene to be replaced, but whatever you chose would be someone else's favorite scene. And I am positive that the change would be a net loss for most people.

    It's coming across like you absolutely hate Marvel, and their plotting choices will "never be good enough" for you, in which case you should just stop watching them. But maybe you do like the MCU, in which case this is just a detail that got under your skin. And it's okay to be bothered by a small inconsistency. But if you want to continue enjoying movies that rely on suspension of disbelief, then you need to learn how to engage your suspension of disbelief.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: What did Captain Marvel do in the MCU before Endgame? (spoilers maybe)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    I'll answer your second point out-of-story: it's not worth anyone's time except yours. The MCU fanbase is huge and you are in the vast minority in your hate for this plot point. Almost everyone else who watched the movie heard Captain Marvel say "I'm busy" and said "oh okay, she said she was busy, let's focus on the A Team."
    So the fans were just okay with this? Well I guess that makes sense. I guess they can be okay with it and not just be mindlessly followers. Kind of like how everyone who saw Infinity War heard Thanos say "I'm gonna collect the Infinity Stone of Infinite Power and Infinite Creation and Infinite Potential to wipe out half the universe because there aren't enough resources to go around," and were okay with that too right. But hey, "there wouldn't be a movie otherwise" right?

    Again 20 YEARS AND SHE DID NOTHING! So if she was so busy with other stuff why did she decide to return to earth?

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What did Captain Marvel do in the MCU before Endgame? (spoilers maybe)

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
    I wanna know how that knowledge never reached either of them. Earth is a pretty big place but we hear stories of things happening all over the planet on the news. Yeah, galaxy is a lot bigger than a planet, but what is a planet to a galaxy. Would you say habitable planet is to galaxy as neighborhood is to planet? If so if someone was whipping out entire neighborhoods in Asia I person in North America would still learn about it.

    Also the Peter Dinklage dwarf in Infinity War apparently met Thanos long ago and Thor and the other Asgardians were responsible for protecting them. How did no Asgardian ever check up on the dwarves? So Age of Ultron came out in 2015 with the post credits scene of Thanos with his glove and Infinity War in 2018. No one checked on the dwarves between then? Or even before the completion of the gauntlet? It's almost like the people who made these things just threw that scene in in Age of Ultron to get people hyped never thinking how it might tie in to the rest of the MCU and then introduced who made Thanos's gauntlet in Infinity War again not caring how it would fit in with the larger picture. Hey why didn't Thanos just go into Asgard and take the infinity gauntlet in the vaults of Asgard? Oh wait that was a fake. Remember how in the first Thor movie there's a shot showing the infinity gauntlet in the background and in Thor Ragnorak they had a scene devoted to Hela saying that infinity gauntlet was a fake. It's almost like the makers of Thor put that in there because they thought it was a cool easter egg but no one thought to look at their work and tell them to take it out because the MCU would eventually do Infinity Gauntlet storyline so we needed a scene to retcon that mistake.

    Do I even again have to ask if the people who make these films care about consistency?
    Where did you get the idea that Eitri had met Thanos Long ago. No he hadn't. he met him at the earliest after Age of Ultron. Though it's up in the air as to if that end credit scene is even canon. But no Thanos met Eitri only very recently and didn't know about him before then.

    As for the infinity gauntlet easter egg in Thor. It was just that an easter egg. For some reason people comb through films treating everything as serious and important, and not just accepting some things as just fun things tossed into the film that you can mostly ignore. Films used to do this all the time, such as putting Yoda costumes in ET, and ET aliens being in Phantom Menace.

    Easter eggs aren't plot points.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Kekkersboy

    My gaming and ideas channel.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What did Captain Marvel do in the MCU before Endgame? (spoilers maybe)

    Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    Captain Marvel not taking out Thanos earlier isn't a plot hole. It's a plot contrivance they are very different things. Plot holes are mistakes in the film that the story cannot account for. A plot contrivance is simply characters doing things for the sake of the story, that could have been handled more easily.

    A Person hiding in a bathroom from a slasher instead of running into the next house is a plot contrivance not a plot hole. A character going to spend time fighting villains offscreen instead of dealing with the big bad, is a plot contrivance, not a plot hole.
    Thank you for this -- I've never looked at it from this angle and it sums up my feelings quite nicely. Good to have that term in my back pocket for future discussions!

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
    Yeah, galaxy is a lot bigger than a planet, but what is a planet to a galaxy. Would you say habitable planet is to galaxy as neighborhood is to planet? If so if someone was whipping out entire neighborhoods in Asia I person in North America would still learn about it.
    2 things:

    1. A single planet, in comparison to a galaxy, is infinitesimally small. Our Solar System, in comparison to the Milky Way Galaxy, is like a quarter-dollar coin in comparison to North America.
    2. I'm not going into specifics due to real-life stuff, but history is full of entire neighborhoods being wiped out in relative secrecy. Even in intergalactic societies, it's unreasonable to expect omniscience of everyone. You are holding Captain Marvel to an unrealistic standard and...I don't really understand why. Why isn't it just easier to believe she didn't know?


    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
    Do I even again have to ask if the people who make these films care about consistency?
    Well, no, you don't. It's very obviously not their top priority. There's an out-of-story reason for their Infinity Gauntlet choices: to build hype for upcoming storylines. Sure, that doesn't mean 100% internal consistency with the movies. But SO WHAT?

    If they can come up with plausible explanations for all of those past details, then that works for me. It very clearly doesn't work for you, but that doesn't mean they did it poorly -- almost everyone else was at least okay enough with it to not be upset by it. But you seem to be taking it personally that a studio's creative choices were at least informed by business considerations (even simple ones like "we want to set up sequels") in which case...I have bad news for you about literally all commercially-produced media.
    Last edited by Ionathus; 2019-10-15 at 10:37 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •