New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Polymorph & Dissonant Whispers/Feeblemind, how do they play together

So let's say a player is Level 4 Spell Polymorphed into a turtle. The player takes on the mental scores of the turtle meaning it makes Intelligence and Wisdom saving throws as a turtle would?

IF a Bard would come by the next round and cast Dissonant Whispers or Feeblemind on the player while he/she was a turtle would the turtle/player make the save with the stats of the turtle?

Thanks in advance.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Polymorph & Dissonant Whispers/Feeblemind, how do they play together

If polymorphed, yes they would use the new form's save. All they retain is their alignment and personality. Lesson of the story - don't get polymorphed!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Polymorph & Dissonant Whispers/Feeblemind, how do they play together

Quote Originally Posted by MarkVIIIMarc View Post
    So let's say a player is Level 4 Spell Polymorphed into a turtle. The player takes on the mental scores of the turtle meaning it makes Intelligence and Wisdom saving throws as a turtle would?

IF a Bard would come by the next round and cast Dissonant Whispers or Feeblemind on the player while he/she was a turtle would the turtle/player make the save with the stats of the turtle?

Thanks in advance.
    The creature would use its polymorphed stat block for making saving throws.

However, perhaps interesting question, if you cast Feeblemind on a creature polymorphed into a turtle, does the Feeblemind effect carry over to their normal shape when the polymorph ends or does it only apply to the polymorphed shape?

I am leaning towards the Feeblemind remaining after the original shape is restored since Feeblemind targets a creature and polymorph just changes the form of the creature. There aren't multiple creatures. As a result, I would think that once the creature is affected by the Feeblemind, its form is irrelevant.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Keravath View Post
    The creature would use its polymorphed stat block for making saving throws.

However, perhaps interesting question, if you cast Feeblemind on a creature polymorphed into a turtle, does the Feeblemind effect carry over to their normal shape when the polymorph ends or does it only apply to the polymorphed shape?

I am leaning towards the Feeblemind remaining after the original shape is restored since Feeblemind targets a creature and polymorph just changes the form of the creature. There aren't multiple creatures. As a result, I would think that once the creature is affected by the Feeblemind, its form is irrelevant.
    This also works if you cast Sleep on the turtle (which would presumably have waaaaay fewer hit points than your target normally would have) and then dismiss the Polymorph spell, yes?

Of course, since they're both concentration spells, you'd have to have one caster cast Polymorph and another caster cast Sleep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ATHATH View Post
    This also works if you cast Sleep on the turtle (which would presumably have waaaaay fewer hit points than your target normally would have) and then dismiss the Polymorph spell, yes?

Of course, since they're both concentration spells, you'd have to have one caster cast Polymorph and another caster cast Sleep.
    Sleep isn't a concentration spell, so a single caster can pull this off.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

There's no reason the effect wouldn't transfer to the original creature. By this logic you could polymorph a team mate who was Feebleminded into a Giant Ape and they would be just fine. I don't know too many DMs who would go along with that.