New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Help with Polymorph

I'm trying to figure out exactly what my Half-Golem Bear Warrior can do when he bears out. The Bear Shape Su of Bear Warrior says it is based off the Polymorph spell, whose rules are spread across at least two pieces of the most heavily errata'd spell tree in the game.

Has the SRD kept up with Errata?
    If not, does anyone have a link to the most up-to-date Polymorph rules?
    I've tried looking at handbooks, but they just seemed to be lists of good things to turn into at various levels 🤷
    Thanks in advance 🙂

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Help with Polymorph

Quote Originally Posted by YellowJohn View Post
    I'm trying to figure out exactly what my Half-Golem Bear Warrior can do when he bears out. The Bear Shape Su of Bear Warrior says it is based off the Polymorph spell, whose rules are spread across at least two pieces of the most heavily errata'd spell tree in the game.

Has the SRD kept up with Errata?
    If not, does anyone have a link to the most up-to-date Polymorph rules?
    I've tried looking at handbooks, but they just seemed to be lists of good things to turn into at various levels 🤷
    Thanks in advance 🙂
    Yes, for the purposes of Alter Self, Polymorph, and other spells derived from the two.

The only thing that it doesn't include (IIRC) is the introduction of the Polymorph subschool (first mentioned in the PHB II, then included in later reprints of the PHB), which was also retroactively tacked onto preexisting spells, but that doesn't have any functional impact on how the core Alter Self/Polymorph line of spells work, because the preexisting rules in those spells (explicitly) supercede those of the Polymorph subschool.

(Granted, it is possible to read RAW in such a way that you lose any class features that isn't Ex/Su/Sp or Spellcasting [or HP/BAB/Saves] when under the effect of a spell under the Alter Self/Polymorph line, but that likely isn't intended. Plus reading it that way also requires a more... contrived interpretation of the "Your class and level.. remain the same" line.)

(It's also not errata, strictly speaking. Of course some players still call it "stealth errata", so...)
    Last edited by NNescio; 2019-10-16 at 12:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    GitP: The only place where D&D and Cantorian Set Theory combine. Also a place of madness, and small fairy cakes.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Help with Polymorph

Thanks.

No I wouldn't agree that losing class features was intended. Polymorph overwrites your race, not your class after all 🙂

So I end up losing all my racial Ex abilities. Damn, I was hoping to keep Magic Immunity 😏