New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: What was your first forum or online community?

The old Bob and George sprite comic chatroom and forum in the early 2000s, and then the Misfile forum (called Napalmluck) in 2004. I moved from there to here in 2010.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

My first online forum was the Kargatane's Malodorous Goat Tavern, a Ravenloft fan community turned semi-official forum during the 3e days when Ravenloft was being published under the Sword & Sorcery line. I joined in summer 2002, a little over a year before they shut the place down and everything moved over to the Fraternity of Shadows website (which AFAIK is still the largest Ravenloft fan community online).
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    You mean like how bulbasaur is clearly the superior choice to beat the game with one pokemon (not counting randos for hm usage)?
    Nah, they did stuff like painstakingly reverse engineer the super effective/not very effective/no effect table, because the official table given in the manual was a goddamned lie.

(I did it with Charmander, myself)

4. - Top - End - #34
    Colossus in the Playground

Wizards of the Coasts forums.

Let's just say that I'm glad those days are behind me. Not that they were bad - I was bad.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

The Neopets forum was where I started to spread my internet wings

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

The Roleplaying Game Consortium (RPGC) around 1999 or 2000.
    Towawrds the end it was just 5-6 of us hanging around like dusty old vampires too comfortable to move out of the house.

7. - Top - End - #37

A German board called DnD-Gate, I think. If there was anything before that, I don't remember. Certainly the first thing I was a regular on.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't remember what it was called, but it was some sort of multiplayer service that I was required to sign up for to play Dungeon Siege 2 online. It had a message board system, and I hung out there semi-frequently. I wasn't really a regular poster, though, as my sister spent a lot of time on the phone.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

My first forum was a Warcraft 3 modding one, but that was shutdown years ago. I forgot what it was called. I think it was Wc3 battle or something.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

This one; then i expanded my activities into various Wharhammer forums.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

11. - Top - End - #41

I lurked on a lot of forums back in my early days, but when I did finally decide to start making accounts and posting, I kinda did all of them in a very short amount of time. I'm pretty sure it was either the IMDb forums, or GameFAQs that gets the official "first" though.

12. - Top - End - #42

BlackDragon

It was the SF Literature forum on Compuserve--was a member of a writing group called the IMPs on there. I obviously lost access to it when I switched from Compuserve to an unmetered Internet provider 20 years ago.

13. - Top - End - #43

I started my online interactions on deviantART. Specifically, I was active on the Video Games, Religion & Philosophy, and Politics subforums. It might have maybe shaped my internet behavior in a few less-than-wholesome ways.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Good old Entmoot, early 2000s if I'm not mistaken. Fun little community, I also started getting into RPGs there.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The OCRemix boards are the first big one that I remember joining. Rarely actually talked about music, it was all about the community like it is here.

16. - Top - End - #46

Devil

I think it was called AbsoluteAnime back in 2002, you can probably guess what mostly went on there, its also where i got my first taste of roleplay, which lasted all of four posts over two days before i decided is was too dumb and cringy even for my weeby 13 year old self.

But very shortly after that i met a group of MtG nerds that made their own Proboards forums for MtG and DnD.
    Last edited by chainer1216; 2019-10-26 at 12:42 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Halfling in the Playground

The first one community I spent a lot of time on was Lemmy's Land (Super Mario fansite, with a stronger focus on the Koopalings). I was mostly a lurker, though.

Starmen.net (Earthbound fansite) was the first place where I actively posted on the forums.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Spamalot in the Playground

WotC forums were my first - started with Magic the Gathering and then transitioned to D&D as I got into things like Neverwinter Nights and actual tabletop. My main gaming forum shortly after that pertained to Blizzard, particularly Diablo and later WoW.

At some point after that I discovered OotS and made an account here. As one of the most active 3.5/PF1 forums on the web I've been a regular denizen ever since.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

19. - Top - End - #49
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

tribalwar.com from tribes 1 (1998) thru vengeance (2007). my log in might still be valid, but i haven't been there in years.

and my team from all that, tappakeggabrew.com which now just redirects to our facebook page. about 10 of us out of the original 30 or so still keep in contact.
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

20. - Top - End - #50
    Pixie in the Playground

My first time is Yahoo!

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by -Sentinel- View Post
    What was your first forum or online community?

Or at least, the first one that truly mattered to you?

I came to the internet late (I'm 51) so no Usenet group stories from me, mostly I renewed library books and occasionally read newspaper articles online in the '90's (each page took about 20 to 40 minutes to "load"), around 2003 I posted less than half a dozen posts on some political forum and didn't post any again until 2014 or '15 when I asked and answered questions at https://www.ridgidforum.com on plumbing issues, next I posted a lot here, afterwards a few other places but by far the most has been at http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forum.php
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

22. - Top - End - #52
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Fort Mossflower; an AngelFire-based fansite for all things related to Brian Jacques' Redwall novels.

I have a lot of nostalgia for that place. Back in... '97 or '98, I think? Was when I got my first PC, and was also around about the same time that I first started collecting a series of books - Redwall. The combination between the two led to me discovering webrings, fansites, webcommunities, dedicated roleplaying as a fantasy-esque character that wasn't just childish "make believe".... Really was my gateway into RPGs, writing and internet subcultures, which in turn led me to nearly every other hobby I have today.

I would have been 12 or 13 then. More than a lifetime and a half ago, and I still remember my first ever 'character' which I used on that site.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2019-11-18 at 05:03 PM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

The first forum community I ever joined was the old Bethesda Softworks Game Forum back in 2007.

I most joined for the Morrowind and Oblivion boards. Eventually I migrated over to Community Discussion.

Bethesda shut BGSF downin 2017 though so I migrated over to here. I also officially joined reddit at that time but reddit is...sketchy to say the least. I'm not comfortable with any of the weirdness going on there.

To be honest I'm not a big forum person anymore. I used to be heavily into the BGSF communities but when I finished college my affection for online communities kind of died.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

AOL. The RPG forums and Neverwinter Nights game. That was amazing fun.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

The Warhammer discussion forums on Dakkadakka.com, way back when Dakka Dakka was my local physical B+M gaming store. It's long gone, but the forum lives on despite my departure from it.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Mine was a site called Temple of Lore and it was a fanmade site for a now discontinued card game called Warlord: Saga of the Storm that got officially recognized by AEG who owned the game.
    .In addition to being a place where those that played the game talked about various things for a while it was also the main site for the company to post card previews and lore stories.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

1996: The old Shadowland.net community, created by Dave Hyatt back when he was working for Netscape.
    Some ridiculously fun times were had in that place. Also learned about trolls, drama queens, grognards, internet tough guys, etc., before they became the established stereotypes they are today.
    -
    What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder, stronger, in a later edition.
    -

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Dating myself a little here, but eh gaming boards on AOL. Bet most of you didn't know AOL had boards at one time.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

29. - Top - End - #59
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Dating myself a little here, but eh gaming boards on AOL. Bet most of you didn't know AOL had boards at one time.
    I was Nexx2, then Gethek, then Nexx3 on the AOL TSR boards. Even met a friend I still talk with (on FB) via the Werewolf the Apocalypse chat.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

30. - Top - End - #60

ClericGirl

A Neopets fansite. PinkPoogleToy. Such a niche corner of the web, yet I had fitful ambitiou dreams of an ever-heightening post count and social status. Glad that's done. Still an Internet addict, but at least I'm no longer Mark Studdock.
    Last edited by DomaDoma; 2020-01-09 at 09:47 AM.