The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default I'm Going To A Dinner Banquet At My Job

    Hey everybody. At the night before Halloween, I'm going to a dinner banquet at my job. I'm very nervous because I have to answer a question about how I got my job in the first place with a large number of crowds then I have to make a speech. Oh man. I hope I won't screw this up.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2010

    Default Re: I'm Going To A Dinner Banquet At My Job

    Good luck. Not sure whether to imagine a fortune 500 stockholders meeting or a McDonald's coffee party, but good luck either way.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: I'm Going To A Dinner Banquet At My Job

    Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Good luck. Not sure whether to imagine a fortune 500 stockholders meeting or a McDonald's coffee party, but good luck either way.
    Who's to say a Fortune 500 won't serve McDonald's?
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-10-17 at 01:13 PM.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

    Quote Originally Posted by flat_footed
    In a Forum full of dorks, you are truly King Dork. Long may you reign!
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Mar 2009

    Default Re: I'm Going To A Dinner Banquet At My Job

    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Hey everybody. At the night before Halloween, I'm going to a dinner banquet at my job. I'm very nervous because I have to answer a question about how I got my job in the first place with a large number of crowds then I have to make a speech. Oh man. I hope I won't screw this up.
    "The roman philosopher Seneca said that ôluck is when preparation meets opportunity."

    There was an opportunity, I was judged to be prepared for it, and I am lucky to be here.

    Thank you <whoever gave you the opportunity>."
    Last edited by darkrose50; 2019-10-17 at 10:57 AM.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: I'm Going To A Dinner Banquet At My Job

    Quote Originally Posted by darkrose50 View Post
    "The roman philosopher Seneca said that ôluck is when preparation meets opportunity."

    There was an opportunity, I was judged to be prepared for it, and I am lucky to be here.

    Thank you <whoever gave you the opportunity>."
    That's a great quick and dirty speech. Having said that, the American philosopher Peelee said "Seneca was bunk."
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

    Quote Originally Posted by flat_footed
    In a Forum full of dorks, you are truly King Dork. Long may you reign!
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2019

    Default Re: I'm Going To A Dinner Banquet At My Job

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Whose to say a Fortune 500 won't serve McDonald's?
    Can I sig that?
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Wizard at 1st level

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Who's to say a Fortune 500 won't serve McDonald's?
    Campaigns I'm running:
    Carrion Crown (IC|OOC)

    Campaigns I'm playing in:
    None right now!

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: I'm Going To A Dinner Banquet At My Job

    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I'm very nervous because I have to answer a question about how I got my job in the first place with a large number of crowds then I have to make a speech.
    I understand being nervous about it. I was really scared the first time I spoke at a conference -- I know that's different, but still similar -- but over time I've realized that most people there are also human beings who understand nervousness and aren't being harsh to you.
    You're probably better off at this event, since a lot of the attendees probably don't actually care what you say but are wanting to get back to food/drinks/socializing.

    On the question: do you have a good answer planned? I'm not asking what it is, as I'm not one to recommend putting too much personal info online, but if you can think of an answer that is true, not embarrassing (or embarrassing in a way you can roll with and benefit from, laughing at yourself), and humorous in some way, you're in a good spot. If instead it's kinda a bland "well, I applied and got it", that seems a trickier thing to talk on, but something you could still prep a good answer to.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: I'm Going To A Dinner Banquet At My Job

    Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    I understand being nervous about it. I was really scared the first time I spoke at a conference -- I know that's different, but still similar -- but over time I've realized that most people there are also human beings who understand nervousness and aren't being harsh to you.
    You're probably better off at this event, since a lot of the attendees probably don't actually care what you say but are wanting to get back to food/drinks/socializing.

    On the question: do you have a good answer planned? I'm not asking what it is, as I'm not one to recommend putting too much personal info online, but if you can think of an answer that is true, not embarrassing (or embarrassing in a way you can roll with and benefit from, laughing at yourself), and humorous in some way, you're in a good spot. If instead it's kinda a bland "well, I applied and got it", that seems a trickier thing to talk on, but something you could still prep a good answer to.
    Staff members going to ask a few questions on how I got my job. Nothing major.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: I'm Going To A Dinner Banquet At My Job

    Quote Originally Posted by PhyrexianShovel View Post
    Can I sig that?
    I never say no to that.

    ...and especially now that I've corrected the spelling.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-10-17 at 01:14 PM.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

    Quote Originally Posted by flat_footed
    In a Forum full of dorks, you are truly King Dork. Long may you reign!
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Crow's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: I'm Going To A Dinner Banquet At My Job

    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Staff members going to ask a few questions on how I got my job. Nothing major.
    As long as it isn't "How on Earth did you ever get hired here?" :D
    Avatar by Aedilred

    GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: I'm Going To A Dinner Banquet At My Job

    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Hey everybody. At the night before Halloween, I'm going to a dinner banquet at my job. I'm very nervous because I have to answer a question about how I got my job in the first place with a large number of crowds then I have to make a speech. Oh man. I hope I won't screw this up.
    If you do can I purchase the exclusive right to turn it into a sitcom pilot? How do you feel about the character based of your boss being named "Allen Fartington"?*

    *That name actually took me far to long to think up.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfPirate

    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: I'm Going To A Dinner Banquet At My Job

    Did you sleep with the person who hired you?
    Did you bribe the person who hired you?
    Are you related to the person who hired you?
    Are you a shapeshifter/podperson/etc?

    If the answer is no to all those questions you are probably fine.


    Just what remember what Churchill said, a good impromptu speech requires months of preparation and practice.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: I'm Going To A Dinner Banquet At My Job

    Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Just what remember what Churchill said, a good impromptu speech requires months of preparation and practice.
    Next thing you'll be telling me is no one drives in New York because there's too much traffic.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: I'm Going To A Dinner Banquet At My Job

    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Oh man. I hope I won't screw this up.
    Are you particularly disliked at work, or in some perilous position like frankly on-over-your-head in your role or the like? Employers generally don't expect people to be expert orators unless that's part of their job description. Just write up what you think you will say, practice it several times in from of the mirror/your family/the cat, and have responses for the 6-12 most likely questions you think you might be asked.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: I'm Going To A Dinner Banquet At My Job

    Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    Are you particularly disliked at work, or in some perilous position like frankly on-over-your-head in your role or the like? Employers generally don't expect people to be expert orators unless that's part of their job description. Just write up what you think you will say, practice it several times in from of the mirror/your family/the cat, and have responses for the 6-12 most likely questions you think you might be asked.
    No I love my job. Been working at my job for three years, January going to make it four years. My job is archiving/receptionist.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfPirate

    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: I'm Going To A Dinner Banquet At My Job

    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Been working at my job for three years, January going to make it four years.
    Unless you mess up that speech that is.


    Some comedian once noted more people are afraid of public speaking than death. So at any funeral 2/3s of the attendees would rather be in the coffin than making the eulogy...
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2019-10-21 at 06:04 AM.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Laserlight's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Virginia Beach VA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: I'm Going To A Dinner Banquet At My Job

    "They said they needed someone who was good looking, charming, bright...so I really don't know why" or "but they picked me instead" or some similar punchline. From my experience with that sort of thing, keep it short (not "one or two words" short, but a sentence or two is plenty). Nobody is expecting a profound answer.
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

    Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: I'm Going To A Dinner Banquet At My Job

    Well, tomorrow I'm going to the dinner banquet and I'm not even nervous anymore.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: I'm Going To A Dinner Banquet At My Job

    Quote Originally Posted by Laserlight View Post
    "They said they needed someone who was good looking, charming, bright...so I really don't know why" or "but they picked me instead" or some similar punchline.
    Make the last part as positive as possible while still keeping the twist. "... but they liked me instead" or "... but I ended up being the best fit instead." It still lands the joke but retains that you're a valuable asset.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

    Quote Originally Posted by flat_footed
    In a Forum full of dorks, you are truly King Dork. Long may you reign!
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: I'm Going To A Dinner Banquet At My Job

    Well, the dinner banquet was awesome. First I eat dinner at the bank. Then the bank was introducing the event and then there was a panel discussion. I explain how long I work at my job and what I do there then the moderator ask me what advice would I give to a friend who's looking for a similar job. I answer my best bet is to look for problems who specialized in developmental disabilities for employment. Then there was singing and I eat more food and I went home. That was it.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: I'm Going To A Dinner Banquet At My Job

    I'm glad it worked out.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: I'm Going To A Dinner Banquet At My Job

    Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    I'm glad it worked out.
    Me too. Although I did stutter about pronouncing the word development still it was great. There was this one guy at the audience who actually loved my movie reviews. He said it was thorough, precise and makes total sense. He even loved and agree that Once Upon Of Time In Hollywood was a great movie.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2019-10-31 at 11:49 AM.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfPirate

    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: I'm Going To A Dinner Banquet At My Job

    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    He even loved and agree that Once Upon Of Time In Hollywood was a great movie.
    There are people who don't think Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was great o.O ?

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: I'm Going To A Dinner Banquet At My Job

    Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    There are people who don't think Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was great o.O ?
    Well, I hate Tarantino, so I dunno how I'd like it if I watched it. Which I won't. Because I hate Tarantino.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

    Quote Originally Posted by flat_footed
    In a Forum full of dorks, you are truly King Dork. Long may you reign!
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfPirate

    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: I'm Going To A Dinner Banquet At My Job

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Well, I hate Tarantino, so I dunno how I'd like it if I watched it. Which I won't. Because I hate Tarantino.
    But you've not watched it.

    See, I don't "like Tarantino" either, nor do I "dislike Tarantino" I am completely neutral on the man*. I love Pulp Fiction. I love Kill Bill. I hate Inglorious Basterds with flaming passion burning like 10,000 suns. I absolutely lov Django Unchained. I think Hateful 8 was ok. I absolutely loved Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

    Story. Actors**. Execution. This is what informs my opinion of a movie.

    * I don't understand the tarantino-worship, on balance I think he makes more movies I like than I don't like

    **whether they are acting good or not, I detest Di Caprio for some reason I no longer recall, but he was excellent in Wolf of Wallstreet, sublime in Django, and brilliant in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Absolutely nailed it.
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2019-11-01 at 08:10 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •