The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 685
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    The group chuckles as Deirdre comes to terms with exactly what they were planning on saying. Lois chuckles, "Oh, you'll know tha' supernatural 'xactly when ya' see it." She knocks once on the hardwood table.
    Professor Avebury looks skeptical. "I do happen to agree with Miss McCoy here. I think Mr. Knott's worries of vagrants and vagabonds seem more substantiated." However, Professor Jones shrugs in response.
    "Look, you might be right Wentworth, but where's your sense of adventure! How about this: we'll send a couple of people over on the train, they can relax over the weekend, see some of Boston, and then spend a bit of time investigating the history of the house, talking to the locals, and eventually exploring the whole thing entirely. Hopefully they'll clear out any vagrants and whatnot as you mentioned, and hopefully, there'll be some extra time to enjoy the sights of our state's capital once everything is through!"
    Many faces turn grim as you mention the recent massacre. "Terrible tragedy, absolutely horrible. And to think, all this death over some molasses? Why I never. At the very least my Mama's in the South End, so she was untouched... but she did know a couple of mighty kind people who lived up north. Houses in ruins..." Jessie shakes her head sadly, mourning the loss of her mother's friends.
    Lois picks up the papers that Dr. Jones brought over concerning the case, "Huh, prof, you know this house is in the North End? Guess it was one of the only ones left standin'." Lois comments somewhat morbidly.
    Trying to lift everyone's spirits though, Professor Jones props a grin up on his face. "Well, it sounds as if somebody would like to go, eh, Izzy? I think that we should send maybe three of us on the mission. If you're planning on going, who else do you think should go as well?" The four other members of Miskatonic look on eagerly.
    ----

    Check the OOC for more information.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-22 at 01:04 AM.

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2016

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    "Hmm... well as far as I know, none of us has direct experience with hauntings (real or otherwise). But I think an engineer's practical perspective could be helpful, especially if we're looking for --or looking to rule out--potential non-occult explanations for things. Lois, what do you think?"
    Last edited by Zene; 2019-10-22 at 01:01 AM.

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Lois beams brightly. "'Course, it'd be lovely to get out and see Bohston." (yes)
    Professor Jones then looks towards Dierdre, "What about you, Dierdre, would you like pursue fortune and glory?" He looks towards the actress with a crooked but charming smile on his face.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-22 at 01:05 AM.

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    "It.. it's not that I think I may have trouble spotting something that's supernatural..." Deirdre tries to explain. "I just think we're in a rough spot, you know? Supposing we run into a ghost, well, who's to believe us? And if Mr. Knott wanted us to not find a ghost, well, that wouldn't make him too happy. On the other hand, if we find absolutely nothing.. again, who is to believe us? He wants us to prove there's no ghost, and I don't know how. I just have a feeling people are going to believe what they want to believe..."

    She shakes her head but almost immediately cheers up. "Well, I'd love to go, in any case. Turns out I have nothing to do all next week, so I'll be bored stiff otherwise. And I'd love to take a visit to Boston, see historical sites and poke around.. plus, it'll be so much better in the company of friends. Oh, it'll be grand..."
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-10-22 at 01:29 AM.
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Professor Jones nods, "That's fair Deirdre. Mr. Knott simply wanted us to look into the house. He doesn't believe it to be haunted, instead assuming that vagrants live inside of it, however, I thought it might be interesting for our group to check why there are rumors about it being haunted and then see if they bear fruit or if there really are just some vagabonds." He finishes, hoping that his summary would do. Although he does add in a little bit extra. "Also, Mr. Knott is willing to pay a tidy sum of twenty dollars every day that we investigate, as long as we're producing results of course, along with a fine bonus of one-hundred, should we give the home a clean bill of... health? Either way, we'll just see what we can find. Best of luck to you all, and may fortune the bold!"
    The discussion then turns towards other subjects (slavery in early Providence, the uncovering of a lost Mayan relic, and more), and everything feels like a normal session at the Society for the Exploration of the Unexplained. When the group begins to disperse, Lois takes you both aside, "So, you both ready for this? We'll leave tomorrow, spend some time in the city, and then gather back and start lookin' into the house, researchin' occupants n' all on Monday. Hopefully, it won't take too long n' we'll to check it out afterwards n' have some time to ourselves." She looks towards the both of you, "Sound good?"
    ----

    Are you ready to depart? If not, please inform me of what you would like to do for the rest of the day in preparation.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-22 at 01:37 AM.

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Deirdre nods quickly, with anticipation. She believed this would be a mostly fun and relaxing trip. Assuming she didn't drown in library texts again.

    ---

    Sounds like Deirdre needs to get a real luggage bag, at least!
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2016

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    "Sounds good!"

    Vagabonds?

    Izzy wants to do a couple things in preparation, if he has time.

    -First, he'd like to check out that library, and see if he can find anything 'credible' (heh) on hauntings/exorcisms. Credible in the sense of like, by an occultist he's heard of before, I suppose. Library check if necessary: (d100)[40]

    -Next, he'll head home to pack. Making sure to bring the usual stuff for a late-fall trip to boston, but also: His swiss army knife; his Torah, Talmud, and Zohar (that last one kept in a locked case, he keeps the key around his neck); and his implements of prayer--the yarmulke, tallit, and tefillin (probably still in packaging -- he would have ordered them once he got settled in Arkham from a NY or Providence provider to replace his old ones, mostly for sentimental reasons; but wouldn't have had any cause to use them. FYI all together they'd likely wrap up into the size of a sweatshirt (apart from the books).

    Last edited by Zene; 2019-10-23 at 11:27 AM.

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Yitzhak Laskov
    Show
    I'd actually consider that an Occult roll, because it would be gauging what is credible and what is not. Nevertheless, it's still a Success.
    ----

    You head towards Orne, and you're immediately overwhelmed by the sheer number of books in the stacks. This is comparable to (if not more in-depth than) Butler library at Columbia (based on your history I'm going to assume you've at least been to it a couple times). However, as you're looking you find that much of the content there that would pertain to occult procedure is founded in rumor. Traveling through the stacks searching for answers, you eventually begin to gather that just like most libraries, many of Orne's books which might contain the answers you seek are housed in the restricted section. Which you find is (not surprisingly) incredibly hard to gain access to. Nevertheless, you do happen upon a couple of Tibetan stories relating to the yidag, their interpretation of vengeful undead sprits in the general stacks. Apparently, such spirits would have to be abated by Phurbas (ritually enchanted knives or daggers) or caught in a "spirit trap," similar in structure to the Native American dream catchers (spindle-like contraptions woven out of yarn). Such things were eventually burnt after the ghost had been trapped inside.
    ----

    Zing personally finds this research interesting!

    Arkham, 12:00 PM, October 29th, 1921

    You both step on to the train to Boston with Lois. She's dressed rather simply, but her shirt and skirt allow for you to actually realize that she is really quite athletic, much moreso than either of you (especially Deirdre with her 25 Strength). The rest of the Society has also gathered to see you all off as the steamer departs from the station. They wave goodbye, and soon they are nothing more than little blips on the horizon. You all settle into your cabin and watch out the window as the Massachusetts wilderness passes you by. It's only a short trip to Boston, maybe an hour or so, but you nonetheless savor the peace and rhythm of the railroad.

    Salem, 12:28 PM, October 29th, 1921

    You pass by the famed Salem, Massachusetts. Some of you cannot help but look out and wonder at what exactly happened in this small little town. How famed the witch trials were, and yet, there's still more to learn of them, and things to learn from them...
    Meanwhile, Lois seems to keep her silence. She opens and closes a switchblade knife in her hand, not out of any malice, but seemingly out of habit. All the while she gazes at the locomotive, analyzing its structure, what she can see of the other cars, and more.

    Boston, 12:58 PM, October 29th, 1921

    The doors open to Boston Railway Station, full of people hustling and bustling about. Lois rises from her chair, picks up her suitcase handily and strides out of the car, nodding for you to follow. As you get out you hear the steam whistle of the locomotive as it begins to depart back towards Arkham, returning along the criss-crossing lines of the station.
    Lois then stops and nods towards the both of you, "Mr. Knott managed to get us rooms at the Parker House hotel, we'll stop by-uh, pourt (yes) our bags down, n' then we gots the whole weekend to ourselves."

    Spoiler: Parker House Hotel
    Show

    Boston, 1:25 PM, October 29th, 1921

    You've gotten your rooms (all singles, of average quality), set your bags down, and headed off your separate ways, each of you agreeing to reconvene on Monday so that you can begin your investigation. The city of Boston is your oyster, and you have a couple days to kill before you actually begin your investigation. Mr. Knott was also kind enough to provide an initial advance of $5 (each, and in addition to the rooms) for you both to spend as a sort of weekend spending money.
    ----

    So, what would each of your characters be doing in Boston during the weekend? How would they spend their time that is unrelated to the investigation (everyone needs a break every now and then)?
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-23 at 05:43 PM.

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2016

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Quote Originally Posted by zingbobco000 View Post

    You both step on to the train to Boston with Lois. She's dressed rather simply, but her shirt and skirt allow for you to actually realize that she is really quite athletic

    <snip>

    She opens and closes a switchblade knife in her hand, not out of any malice, but seemingly out of habit. All the while she gazes at the locomotive, analyzing its structure, what she can see of the other cars, and more.
    Izzy is both a little unnerved and a little thrilled.
    Fit and handy with a switchblade? Looks like she was an even better choice than I thought!

    "Mr. Knott managed to get us rooms at the Parker House hotel "
    Ooh, iconic!


    So, what would each of your characters be doing in Boston during the weekend? How would they spend their time that is unrelated to the investigation (everyone needs a break every now and then)?
    Ok, Izzy's been planning this out like the whole way there.

    Day 1:
    First, he'll mention his plans to Deirdre and Lois, in case either would like to join (he doubts it).
    -Head to the shops downtown. Pick up the local paper, some yarn, and some kind of portable meal.
    -From there, walk through Boston Common to the Charles River Embankment (est in 1910, now called the Esplanade), which he heard was beautiful. Sit down and enjoy the river view while eating the meal he'd picked up.
    -Take a bridge or boat (not sure what was available) across the Charles to Cambridge, and go check out the Harvard campus. Try to get in their library.
    -Head back in the evening to read the paper, and try tying one of those Tibetan "spirit traps" he'd read about in Orne.

    Day 2:
    -Izzy swings by the brand-new Vilna Schul to check out the architecture (built by the only Jewish architect in the city!) and artwork.
    -Visit the two ancient (by American standards) graveyards on Tremont street, and tries to pick out the gravestones of revolutionary war icons.
    -Then, trekking up to the North End. (I assume the smell of molasses is still thick, two years later.) Wanders around, checking out the various immigrant groups that are there at the (mostly Italian and Jewish, it looks like), getting something interesting to eat. If he runs across a Catholic mass going on, he'd stop outside and listen for a bit. Maybe even running across a procession (or festival) for Saint Alphonsus or Saint Narcissus? (http://luirig.altervista.org/calenda...=1921&month=10) If so, Izzy would watch (or wander through) with great interest.
    -Finally, head back and try to get a real good night's rest.
    Last edited by Zene; 2019-10-23 at 05:56 PM.

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    - On the train... -

    Deirdre eyes Lois playing with her switch blade. It's no secret she is clearly surprised.

    After exchanging awkward looks with her, she comments, "W-wow, Lois... I didn't know you carried a knife...

    - Later... -

    Deirdre doesn't know what to do or even where to start. She looks at a few brochures in the hotel lobby...

    Then, Izzy already told them if his plans, so it only made sense to ask Lois, "What do you have in mind? Anything?
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Normally I would spoiler this information, but most of it is not of great import to the scenario at large (or at least that's what he says...) so I'll just keep it out in the open.
    ----

    Lois nods, "Gift from my dad." She smiles for a moment, but then looks down.
    Spoiler: Successful Psychology Roll
    Show
    The way she turns away is a common reaction to the feeling of shame, but it's also done in a way to close one's self off from a conversation.

    Lois notes that she has plans of her own, heading to Boston Tech (read: MIT) and observing what discoveries they're making there. Deirdre is free to tag along if she would like, alternatively, Lois recommends the Modern Theater, which is currently showing The Three Musketeers.
    Meanwhile, Izzy picks up a copy of The Boston Globe, and reads through its columns ("All Saints Parish in Ashmount to Observe Semicentennial" "Sudden Death of John Mercies, A Baker" "John Braudis Held on Charges of Manslaughter"). Picking up a nice portable meal he later observes the embankment and watches the sunlight flicker on the water while munching on something kosher (so no hot dogs, maybe a PB&J Sandwich?).
    Eventually the meal is over and he heads off towards Cambridge (I think the bridge is currently functional). However, upon visiting Widener Library, he's saddened to learn that only students, guests of the school/faculty, or those who receive a visiting scholar ID (requiring a wait time of roughly two weeks or so plus the proper credentials to attain) can look at books. However, the librarian there (a research librarian named Miriam Atwright) recommends The Central Library, which is free for public access.
    Finally he heads home and attempts to craft the item out of yarn.
    ----

    Please give me an Art/Craft... (Weaving?) roll
    ----

    October 30th, 1921

    On the second day things progress quite smoothly. The landmarks all tug at a different heartstring for Izzy's emotions, but nonetheless, he feels a sense of worldliness for exploring these other aspects of his culture. He picks up some Manzo Arancini which are crispy risotto balls with peas, cheese, and minced beef. He eventually happens to wander into a decently-sized parade of St. Alphonsus and observes the fascinating rites of the Christian religion. Finally, after a long day of walking around (his feet are most upset with him), Izzy retires to a good night's sleep.
    If Deirdre would stick around with Lois, she'd probably head to the docks and observe the comings and goings of ships, chatting with some sailors and discussing navigation across the oceans. Despite her noting that she hasn't been to Boston more than a couple of times, Lois seems to have a strong natural sense of direction. She would then wander around the Italian community in the North End (huh) and talk amongst the locals, sampling street food and other things. She might even notice Izzy and wave a hand of greetings.
    ----

    Does this all sound good? Feel free to post a confirmation in the OOC if it is.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-23 at 06:53 PM.

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2016

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Arts/Crafts roll: [roll0]

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2016

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Oops, trying that roll code again: (d100)[66]

    (If the first one shows for you, go ahead and use that. It’s showing an error for me)

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Quote Originally Posted by Zene View Post
    Oops, trying that roll code again: [roll0]

    (If the first one shows for you, go ahead and use that. It’s showing an error for me)
    It's also showing an error for me.
    ----

    You begin to try your best to craft the item, but from the vague descriptions of it you found at Orne, to your inexperience with actually crafting items in turns into a... well... you're not sure what it is exactly. You think it looks kind of like what the books described, but you honestly have no idea.

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    ((I think Deirdre will tag along with Izzy on the first day, but try and see the showing of Three Musketeers in the evening. Then on the second day, tag along with Lois. She doesn't particularly want to be all alone on the trip. Not that she's particularly scared of being all alone. Just, it doesn't really feel right.))
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Spending some nice time at the cinema (which is really like a full-day experience in the early 20th century) and exploring Boston makes both of you feel rejuvenated. You're ready for a week of investigating (or maybe less), and every bone in your body cannot help but wonder at what secrets this house has. The time seems to go by in a blur, but nevertheless, it is time to begin.

    Boston, 10:28 AM, October 31st (how appropriate...), 1921

    You walk towards the North End and begin to notice that, at least in this area of the district, many of the houses look newer and refurbished.



    Eventually you both gather up with Lois in front of the aforementioned house at 20 Sheafe St., North End, as Lois looks it up and down, "Sheesh, well I guess I see the whole hawted thing comes from. Well, I say we'll do bit of poking around, check the library, maybe the Globe, city hall of records, whatnot, n' see what they've there. Don' wanna go runnin' in unprepared, right? House 'as a 'istory!" She then looks towards the both of you, "So, what ya' think? Split up n' cover more ground? Stay togetha'? N' which won (yes) first?"
    ----

    I apologize for my text-based Italian-Brooklyn accent.

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Deirdre shrugs and says, "I dunno.. on one hand, you'd think researching ahead might be a good idea.. but I have a feeling it'll just put ideas into our head. Like, for instance, suppose we were just strolling through a neighborhood in Arkham and saw a house like this. I mean. It looks old. But.. that wouldn't mean it's haunted..?"

    She looks at the others with a somewhat concerned, yet skeptical gaze. "I.. I mean, we're here now anyway. Why did we gather up here just to leave? Might as well check it out now while we've got daylight..."

    And besides, if it really is haunted, probably don't want to be there at night on Halloween...
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-10-23 at 09:07 PM. Reason: there not their
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Reminder that you have a week to look into the house and anything related to it. So you wouldn't have to spend the night in the house.
    ----

    Lois stares at Deirdre warily, "Yah sure, Deirdre? On tha' one hand, ya right. We got proximity n' all that. But on tha other, we're gettin' paid twenty bucks a day. I don' know how much actresses make, but uh... starvin' student right here... A couple a days in tha' library or talkin' to reporters would go quite a way..." She then shrugs, "But hey, if ya want to, don't see much harm in it. Altho... 'spose there are any vagrants in there, do ya' have any means of defense on ya?" She seems to say this last part to the both of you.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-23 at 09:06 PM.

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Now it's Deirdre's turn to give Lois a stare. "Uh.. even if there were, you don't really think...?"

    She just sighs and shakes her head. "I'll just.. talk to them. And if they get get nasty I'll leave. ..And then we'd best call the police," she says insistently.
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2016

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    ”I don’t see the harm in taking a quick peek while we’re here. But I’m not much for self defense, all I’ve got is my Swiss Army knife.”

    Izzy turns to Lois. “And if you’re not comfortable going in without research...I totally understand. We’ll definitely want to do that at some point soon, anyway. “

    “Should we split the difference maybe? Investigate the outside of the house while we’re here?”
    Izzy shrugs.
    Last edited by Zene; 2019-10-24 at 09:30 AM.

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Lois shakes her head at Deirdre's comment, "Well she's clearly never lived in Brooklyn..." As Izzy finishes, she gives a deep sigh. "Well, least it's somethin'. If ya' don't wanna defend yaself Deirdre, least keep behind me. Anyway, I wanna investigate moreso that I jus' wanna know what we're gettin' into. Why're the rumors that the whole place is haunted? From what I know, ghosts aren't always active, maybe there were some stories we're not gettin'." She then shrugs, "Plus, again, the money wouldn't hurt." She then turns off to look at the outside of the house. "Well, guess we might as well have a looksie while we're 'ere."
    ----

    Presuming that you begin to explore the outside of the house...
    ----

    You begin to look around. The brick building of 20 Sheafe St. is overshadowed by taller, newer office buildings on either side.
    Spoiler: Successful Idea (Intelligence) Roll
    Show
    You wonder if Mr. Knott is trying to sell the land of this place moreso than the actual building itself, and then the land would be used to create similar structures as its neighbors.

    The house fronts the street. In the rear are overgrown plantings and a half-collapsed arbor. Access to the rear exists on either side of the residence.
    Studying the house, you're both impressed by the way the house seems to withdraw into the shadows cast by the flanking buildings, and how the blank curtained windows hide all understanding of what lies within.
    Heading around the side and poking around you notice that the front door has a lock, along with four additional bolts that seemed to have been added over the last couple of years. Meanwhile, all of the ground floor windows have been nailed shut from the inside. The side door is similarly protected, secured with three bolts and two locks. "Jeez, somebody really didn't want anyone gettin' inside this place..." She trails off with some muttering.

    Spoiler: Successful Listen Roll
    Show
    "'Xactly why I think we should check out why..."

    As you look up, with the exception of the overgrown greenery, and the trees looming over onto the property, you do notice that the windows of the upper levels do not look boarded up, and there's even a Juliet balcony that looks out to the steep roof.

    Spoiler: Successful Spot Hidden Roll
    Show
    You notice that with the exception of the first and second floor, there's also probably an attic as well simply based on the height of the house.
    Spoiler: Hard Spot Hidden Roll
    Show
    You also gauge from the house's construction that there'd most likely be a basement, but you see no storm cellar from the outside, so presumably the entrance would be on the inside.
    Spoiler: Extreme Spot Hidden Roll
    Show
    Every now and then, due to rainwater you notice more foundation poking through the verdant green. Someone must have gone through a lot to make this house incredibly stable.
    Spoiler: Subsequent Successful Combined Appraise and Archaeology Roll (Only One Must Succeed)
    Show
    The foundation that you notice is of a different age than the house. Almost as if portions of the foundation were built after the house itself was built.

    Lois shivers slightly. "Place gives me the creeps."
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-24 at 02:22 PM.

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2016

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Should we both roll on these?
    I’m assuming so:
    Idea:(d100)[66]
    Listen: (d100)[70]
    Spot Hidden: (d100)[30]

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Unless I spoil it for a specific person, anything that I allow for you to access you should normally be able to roll on. Also I'm noting that that's a success on Spot Hidden (also one on Idea, but that doesn't get ticked).

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2016

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Just noting here so I don’t have to look em up again later: That’s a success, a fail, and a success respectively.

  25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Alright.

    Idea: (1d100)[58]
    Listen: (1d100)[10]
    Spot Hidden: (1d100)[90]
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

  26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Sadly I believe Listen is already ticked for you, but hey, you succeeded on it (and the Idea roll)!
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-24 at 02:28 PM.

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2016

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC



    “Looks like there’s an attic in there. And the second floor windows don’t seem as locked down...we have the keys, right?”

    “Considering how dark it is here even during the daytime, and how locked up it is—. I’d definitely feel more comfortable getting some more info on the house before going in. If any exists, that is.”

    “Do we also want to talk to the neighbors while we’re here?”
    Last edited by Zene; 2019-10-24 at 02:44 PM.

  28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    "D-don't want to defend myself??" Deirdre says, quite affronted. "What am I supposed to do, Lois? I-I'm not some kind of knife fighter! Or do you think I'm some.. secret government agent.. assassin?" The fact that Lois seemed to be implying that Deirdre could somehow be adept at going into hand-to-hand combat with homeless people, or moreover, wanted harm to come to herself was mindboggling.

    She exhaled quickly, a pained sigh, realizing perhaps it was just a difference in how they were raised, where they grew up. "Look, I'm really sorry.. I've never been to Brooklyn or anywhere even close. I .. guess it's really dangerous there..?" Thoughts of Lois walking down the streets with a knife hidden, clutched in her hand, eyes shifting about everywhere and with shady, creepy men lurking down every alley and around every corner, eying her, waiting for the perfect chance to mug her invaded Deirdre's imagination. But surely Brooklyn wasn't like that. She shook her head. Ridiculous.

    ---

    Izzy points out an attic in the second floor window. And it's not locked up. "Hmm. I wonder if unwanted guests could still get in by climbing up there..." she thinks out loud.

    "Neighbors?" she asks. "I can't help but think maybe someone wants to make this plot of land yet another office building like the rest. Do you really think anyone that works around here might know anything? I think.. I think the owner, Mr. Knots, would know a lot more. I'm really interested in his perspective on all this."
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Lois nods, "Maybe, although... while I'm not tha' best at gettin' people to talk, I think," she turns to Deirdre, "despite your... naievete, you might be able to get somethin' outa the neighbors." Her face then gains a quizzical expression. "Altho I wouldn't like to leave you out on your lonesome, I don't know 'bout you, Izzy, but I'm not one for makin' smiles. Altho', you seem like a heavy reader, maybe you could head out and check things about the house, while I stay with you Miss McCoy, for protection 'course."

    Meanwhile, when Deirdre finishes her statement Lois looks at her. There's something there, maybe a longing, in her eyes. "Yeah, guess you haven't..." As for the neighbors she shrugs. "They might not, but if anyone can get information outa them, I'm sure it'd be you. We might be able to call up Mr. Knott, who knows, maybe he does know somethin'."
    ----

    Note that the second floor window leads to the second floor, Izzy thought that there might be an attic, not that he actually noticed one himself.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-24 at 03:06 PM.

  30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Deirdre thinks to herself, Probably true shes not good at making people smile...

    "Please, don't worry about me, Lois. I should be perfectly safe talking to the people in these buildings. We're all civilized, after all, and the only reason they could possibly be there is because they have jobs. So, I mean, they're not vagrants, at least..."

    Deirdre looks about awkwardly at all the surrounding lands. Office buildings and the lay of the land across the street.

    Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    I'm thinking there's some stock to this theory about wanting to make this land another office building. But I'm just wondering how all the surrounding land looks. It was said there are office buildings on either side of the house. How far to the sides are there buildings? What about behind them, or across the street?

    Or would it be easier to draw a small map?


    "Um. Were any of us told how to get into contact with Mr. Knots?"
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •