The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 685
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Deirdre looks around and sees that most of this area is a blossoming commercial district with the exception of this house. The office buildings are by no means skyscrapers, but the majority of the buildings in your general area are around twice as tall as the one on 20 Sheafe St.
    Lois looks at Deirdre with a bit of a raised eyebrow, but doesn't say anything. She later thinks for a moment after Deirdre is done and then shakes her head, "No, but I'm guessin' the Professor'd know how to get in contact with 'im. We could probably catch a line with 'im back at the hotel later tonight, maybe?"
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-24 at 03:26 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Deirdre shakes her head and says, "Yeah, what we were initially told doesn't make much sense. Having trouble selling the place cause it's haunted? Seems more like no one would want to live here cause of all these buildings..."

    Deirdre states to everyone, "Look around. Even if the house wasn't creepy-looking or decrepit. Would you want to live here?"
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

  3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Lois nods, "Strange, yeah, probably worth givin' him a call." She then turns to Izzy, "Anyway, if Deirdre can protect herself, seems like I won't be needed on that end, eh? Izzy what were ya' thinkin' a' doing?"
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-24 at 03:36 PM.

  4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2016

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Izzy nods. "Happy to go see what I can dig up with research. I'll check the library and/or the local paper to see if there's anything about the house. Lois, do you have any experience looking up architectural plans? They would have those, where, City Hall maybe?"

    "If you wanted to come with me, we could swing by City Hall, the paper, and the Library. And Deirdre, would you want to meet us at the library when you're done speaking with the neighbors? We could compare notes then."

    "We may want to have a backup plan, too. Something like, say, if we all haven't gotten to the library by an hour before sunset, we could meet back at the hotel. If any of us isn't there by sunset, and there's no message at the front desk--the others go out looking?"
    Last edited by Zene; 2019-10-24 at 04:21 PM.

  5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Lois nods, "Probably at city hall, yeah. Sadly, don't have too much experience with the architectural side of things, but I'm sure it'd be there." As for the backup plan, she nods as well. "Sounds good, altho' with the library, the Globe, and city 'all, that's a lot of papers to go through in one day, but who knows, maybe it'll work out jus' fine." She then looks towards Deirdre, "But anyway, what's your plan, Deirdre?"
    ----

    For the sake of this, treat Lois mechanically (not RP-wise) as a follower. She, of course, will be able to help out, but she'll be attatched to at least one of you during the investigations.

  6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Deirdre says, "Uh.. on second thought, it occurs to me that simply asking the random people in these office buildings would be like searching for a needle in a haystack. Or even in the wrong haystack.."

    "I think if I'm talking to anyone, it'll have to be Mr. Knott first. I'd better try to get in touch with him as soon as possible. See if anyone's made any offers on his house or his property, and if so, then try specifically for those people. They might not even be around here.." she says, gesturing at the office buildings.

    She frowns and says, "I might just have to help you with your library research today..."

    Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Books. Why did it have to be books?

    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

  7. - Top - End - #67
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2016

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    "Great! Let's head out, then."

    I head for whichever of the City Hall, the Library, and the Globe Offices is closest.

  8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Deirdre nods along and follows Izzy, wherever he is going first.
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

  9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Well according to Google Maps, The Boston Globe was in Cambridge, The Central Public Library is over in Back Bay, and the City Hall at the time was in Downtown Crossing, which makes it the closest to Sheafe St. at this point. I guess you aren't splitting up, so that makes it easier on me.
    ----

    Boston, 11:17 AM, October 31st, 1921

    It's a bit of a walk to City Hall on 45 School St., home of the City Council. You pass by a statue of Ben Franklin along the way and see many tourists entering the hallowed halls and getting a tour of the fifty-year-old establishment. As you enter you're quickly directed to the hall of records, as you see a great number of files, shelves, and carts. One could easily get lost in here. Lois looks around, "Think I'm gonna call a clerk over, bit overwhelmin' if ya' ask me." She rushes off before you can make any statement to the contrary and returns in a moment with a young woman pushing a cart with a myriad of files atop it.
    The woman takes off her glasses and places them atop her blonde done-up hair, "Hello, I'm-a, Leslie Jenkins-a, how may I be a' service?"

  10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    A bit wide-eyed, Deirdre couldn't quite remember why they were here, in particular. Kind of answering the clerk's question, but more like posing the question to the others, she says, "Uh.. what were we here for again? Looking for architectural plans for the house? Or maybe proposed ones in that area..?"
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

  11. - Top - End - #71
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2016

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    "Right! We're looking to find any kind of public records on 20 Sheafe Street. Nu, is that something you could help us with?"

  12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Please both of you give me a Combined Persuade and Charm roll where only one must succeed as you're talking to her throughout this period of time. She'll help you, because that's her job, I just want to see how committed she is to helping you for future reference (ooooohhh spooky).
    ----

    She nods, "It's-a, right this way. Floor plans should be over by column F." She points out towards one of the many aisles within the Hall of Records. Lois waves a thank you and comments when she leaves.
    "Always 'elpful to 'ave good relations, with 'em clerks n' librarians, knowledgeable people..." You then continue towards the aforementioned location and begin to search through the piles of stacks, searching for the Blueprints for 20 Sheafe St.
    ----

    Lois is helping you. While normally she would roll herself if she was a player, because she's an NPC instead I'll rule that you gain a Bonus Die on this roll. Both of you may roll, and both of you may gain the benefit of the Bonus Die. Although please wait to look at the spoilered sections concerning the degree of success (similarly if you fail wait) until after you have both rolled.

    Spoiler: Successful Library Use Roll
    Show
    Spoiler: Normal Success (But Not Hard/Extreme)
    Show
    Boston, 2:43, October 31st, 1921
    Spoiler: Hard Success (But Not Normal/Extreme)
    Show
    Boston, 1:03, October 31st, 1921
    Spoiler: Extreme Success (But Not Normal/Hard)
    Show
    Boston, 11:53, October 31st, 1921


    You happen to find the following blueprints contracted by a Mr. Webber concerning the house on Sheafe St. after searching for a while!
    .
    However, you could spend more time looking for information, I mean you never know, there might be more about this Mr. Webber, or maybe more about the house itself here in the hall of records. Then again, you could always head some place else. Lois interrupts your reverie with that exact question, "Well, we found the blueprints, don't know if there's gonna be too much else 'ere, but then again, who's this Mr. Webber character? Although, would the hall of records really 'ave too much on one man? I guess they'd just 'ave wills, birth certificates, and whatnot, eh? Maybe we'd be best off searchin' somewhere else? Whadda ya both think?" She looks towards you two for guidance. You also judge by her tone that she seems to be in a chipper mood after finding at least a little bit of information.
    ----

    If you think there's more here, you may roll again (alternatively you may split up). This is not a Pushed roll, and is instead just you spending the same amount of time to make another roll. You've learned your lesson and you're definitely not going to get locked in any more buildings. I'm also not going to do a spoiler within a spoiler within a spoiler, so if you are planning on rolling again, just roll again and I'll make a new post.
    Spoiler: Failed Library Use Roll
    Show
    Boston, 2:43, October 31st, 1921

    You've been searching for nearly half a day, and yet you've found nothing. There are just too many files in too many places. However, you might be able to spend more time searching, it's bound to be here... right? Although... maybe it's not and you should check out someplace else, Lois is just as uncertain as you are, continuing to pour through the files hoping to find the blueprints. "They've gotta be 'ere, right?"
    ----

    You both may roll again (or one of you could stay and the other leaves), this is not a Pushed roll, and is instead just you spending the same amount of time to make another roll. You've learned your lesson and you're definitely not going to get locked in any more buildings. I'm also not going to do a spoiler within a spoiler within a spoiler, so if you are planning on rolling again, just roll again and I'll make a new post.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-24 at 05:19 PM.

  13. - Top - End - #73
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2016

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Izzy gasps as they spread out the blueprint -- he's clearly way too excited about paperwork.
    "It doesn't show an attic! Strange..."



    Then, after Lois asks about moving on:
    "Well, if it is a real 'haunting' of some sort, I'd think there's a good chance it'd be connected to someone in the building's past. I'd suggest we spend a little more time digging up what we can on this fellow. ...and maybe the current owner, too."
    Last edited by Zene; 2019-10-24 at 05:39 PM.

  14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Deirdre is at first triumphant when finding (or helping find!) the blueprints, but after the excitement wears off is a bit disappointed. "Hm. Well. We found 'em. I'm not sure how it helps, though, aside from a reference to this Mr. Webber... That, and I think the basement stairs are drawn wrong? Kind of a weird layout for a house if you ask me. I wonder what these side rooms are supposed to be.." she squints at the blueprints, tilting her head, but winds up shrugging.

    Looking at Lois she says with a smile, "Proximity, proximity. While we are here, we may as well see what we can find out about this Mr. Webber. Any of those documents you mentioned could help us."

    She nodded to Izzy. Seemed they were in agreement on the matter.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-10-24 at 05:42 PM.
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

  15. - Top - End - #75
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2016

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    As an afterthought: "Also seems strange that the basement isn't a full level, doesn't it? Although maybe that's where the pipes run or something.... I'll admit I'm a bit out of my element, when it comes to architectural drawings."

  16. - Top - End - #76
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2016

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    (Second Library Use roll: (d100)[17]

    Edit: Yay!
    Last edited by Zene; 2019-10-24 at 05:44 PM.

  17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Lois nods, but looks concerned. "Hmmm... fair point, n' that is a weird layout, pipes shouldn't take up that much space. Should we all keep lookin' ere then? Maybe there might be some news about Webber somewhere else."

  18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Deirdre nods and asks Lois, "Yeah tell me, Lois, do these stairs look right to you? Looks backwards to me. Like the door to the stairs down to the basement is in this hall, right? Then on the basement layout, following the stairs that way leads into a wall, but the entrance is where the hall door was?" She points between the first floor and basement levels on the blueprints.
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

  19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Welp, that's an Extreme Success. Also, the stairs are actually a mistake on my part. Sorry y'all!
    ----

    Lois nods, looking confused. "Hmmm... Maybe they messed up in makin' the blueprints?" (huh, guess what they did) She shakes her head, "Bit strange, but hopefully the stairs aren't the cause of the hauntin'." She then looks a bit confused. "Speakin' of which, while blueprints are great. This doesn't really give us any info 'bout the hauntings 'emselves.

    Calling Leslie over you quickly ask where you can find information about this Mr. Webber. She nods, it seems that most people simply demand things out of her as opposed to taking their time. "Personal files? You'll-a, well, you'll be lookin' down column B."

    Boston, 1:36 PM, October 31st, 1921

    You look into Mister Henry Webber. Nothing too interesting about him at first, until after a while you notice that apparently Mr. Webber had a business liscence, was born in 1802, and died of an undiagnosed illness. This isn't too strange, he died in 1836 after all, but he was quite young at the time (being only 33 years old). Nevertheless, you gather nothing else of import concerning the life and untimely death of Mr. Webber.
    Spoiler: Successful Medicine Roll
    Show
    The symptoms described however are remarkably similar to... Malaria? In Boston? What? Maybe he traveled? In 1836? That doesn't make any sense, it must be something else, hence why they declared it undiagnosed.
    ----

    Again, same as before. You can stay and look into more information about anything you want and I'll consider if it could feasibly be inside of the Hall of Records (and if so, what is contained). Or you can head out to another place.
    ----

    Lois shrugs, "Well, I don' know what this means exactly, shame about Mr. Webber... although, I'm feelin' a bit peckish, do ya' both maybe want to stop for a couple of dogs?"
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-24 at 06:02 PM.

  20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    "Yeaah.. seems we didn't get much info out of this place as we thought. Unless.. do you think records for pending construction projects are kept here as well?"
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

  21. - Top - End - #81
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2016

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    ”Hmm; I think so? What are you thinking?”

    “What do you all think of looking up our benefactor, while we’re here?”

  22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Lois shrugs, "Could always ask Miss Jenkins, she seems pretty friendly to us. As fer Mr. Knott, if ya' feel it, then sure, I'm jus' hungry."
    ----

    For the record, this isn't Lois trying to be annoying or anything (hopefully it doesn't come across that way), you all do feel a little bit hungry after a couple hours or so of searching through books.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-24 at 06:28 PM.

  23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    "I just think we might want to look into if there are any construction projects that want to be done to 20 Sheafe Street. I mean, supposing we did find any... well, that would definitely be someone very interested in the property."

    She looks at the others, feeling a bit peckish herself. "Maybe we could find that lovely clerk. Um. Darn, what was her name? Just get her to point us in the right direction before she disappears, then grab a bite to eat?"
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

  24. - Top - End - #84
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2016

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Izzy will try to dig up dirt on Mr. Knott.

    ”I’ve got this, Lois. Would you want to scrounge up some lunch for us? I shouldn’t take long”
    Library Use (d100)[54]

  25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Hmmm... it seems that having two people who are often online is leading to a little bit of cognitive dissonance! It's ok, I'll try and sort through this to best of my ability.
    ----

    Lois nods, "Fair enough, Miss Leslie Jenkins, I think it was." Quickly summoning Miss Jenkins, she once again points you in the right direction with your continued sentiments of kindness. To a lesser extent she's glad to feel that she's involved in something. "Ya want construction? Just past the floor plan, column G. What're ya' all checkin' out might I ask?"
    Meanwhile Izzy has left to search for information concerning Mister Knott. While presumably Deirdre and Lois head off to get a bite to eat.

    Spoiler: Deirdre McCoy
    Show
    There's a nice little hot dog stand that is across the street from city hall. While you two are both gathering food for yourselves and Izzy, Lois asks, "Sorry 'bout earlier. I can flare up sometimes... jus' brought back some old memories 's all." She does not seem to be willing to go further on the subject.

    Spoiler: Yitzhak Laskov
    Show
    You begin looking through the personal records of Mr. Knott, but to be honest... he seems relatively normal. At least, you don't discover too much "dirt" on the man in your hour or so of searching. He was born in 1886, he has a realtor's liscence... the man is surprisingly average (at least, based on what you gather).


    Boston, 2:23 PM, October 31st, 1921

    Eventually (not including anything extra that happens in any whispers) you all meet back up in the Hall of Records (outside, not wanting to bring in any food to the documents). Lois munches on the remains of her hot dog eagerly. "So, wadda ya' think we should do next?"

  26. - Top - End - #86
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2016

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    ”Well, I think the library is next closest. And probably likely to close before the Globe offices do. Shall we head there?”

    “Oh, or did you want to head back in to check construction? In that case I could head to the library myself and get started.”
    Last edited by Zene; 2019-10-24 at 06:55 PM.

  27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Lois looks at the journalist approvingly, "Well, Izzy, I gotta say, I don't think ya' need much help with searchin' through the library, so I'd be happy ta' help out with whatever ya' want, Deirdre." She smiles, hoping to try and mend the slight fracture that grew during the whole investigating the house incident.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-24 at 07:02 PM.

  28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Deirdre smiles at Leslie. "Oh, a little research project, you could say. Or rather, an investigation! Nothing serious is going on. I don't think. I guess you could say we're just seeing if a house might be worth more than its being sold for.. Welp, I uh, I probably shouldn't tell you anything else though. Client confidentiality and all." Not to mention since it seemed like they were even investigating their own client.. it probably wouldn't look the best!

    --

    Spoiler: Deirdre Mccoy
    Show
    "It's alright Lois. I appreciate that you're looking out for me. I just, well.." She looks at the Italian. "I don't know what to say. I'm just.. a girl. A woman. Getting into knife fights isn't something we do. Or um. Something I do."

    She shook her head. "I mean no offense by that, by the way. You look like you can definitely hold your own, even in Brooklyn. Your dad must be proud of you."


    --

    After a quick lunch, Deirdre says, "I would suggest you try to see if there are any construction projects being planned on that property, Izzy. In the mean time.. I really need to make that phone call before it gets too late..."
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

  29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Deirdre McCoy
    Show
    Spoiler: Successful Psychology Roll
    Show
    Lois looks visibly shaken when you mention her father, but quickly recovers.

    Lois nods, "Back to the hotel I guess, then. Hopefully we'll be able to catch both the professor and Mr. Knott." She then begins to head out of the Hall of Records and back towards the Parker House Hotel (which is actually quite closeby).

    EDIT: Turns out the Parker House Hotel is right across the street from City Hall!
    ----

    I presume you head that way to contact Professor Jones?
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-24 at 07:25 PM.

  30. - Top - End - #90
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2016

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    ”Sounds good. I’ll see what I can find here on construction projects. Then I’ll come find you at the hotel.

    Library Use: (d100)[71]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •