The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

281 Franklin St. is quite closeby, maybe a couple of blocks walk? You're right next to the downtown/financial district area.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Deirdre won't have time to go with the others to The Globe, so plans officially commence, and she bids them good luck. For now, it appears Deirdre stays at the hotel for a bit...

Spoiler: Deirdre McCoy
    Show
    Deirdre grabs a small cup of coffee and heads back to her room just to brush through her hair again and, well, get her affairs in order and make sure she's looking her best. At about 10:00am she leaves the hotel and begins walking to 281 Franklin at a slow pace.

(I imagine she'd get there anywhere from 5-15 minutes before 10:30.)
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    Makes sense.
    ----

Boston, 10:12 AM, Tuesday, November 1st, 1921

Deirdre stands in front of the small office building as she scans the list of businesses inhabiting it. Eventually picking out Knott Housing, she makes her way up a couple flights of stairs to a small office space. A receptionist sits in the entrance hall, hastily writing several things down in a small notebook. She looks up and peers at you through wide-rimmed glasses as you enter. "The 10:30? Mr. Knott is in a meeting right now, but he should be available shortly. Feel free to have a look around if you're interested in any properties."
    The receptionist gestures to all of the different boards and pamphlets containing information about possible purchases. There's also a small table by a couple of chairs that has the dailies on its surface.
    Spoiler: Successful Spot Hidden Roll
    Show
    You happen to notice that most of the more recent offerings have to do with actually selling lot space and subsequently offering services for construction, whereas most of the older offerings that still remain are concerned with the "Housing" aspect that's present in the business' title.

Spoiler: Successful Accounting Roll
    Show
    You realize that based on the prices, this man is either inept at his trade or he's not doing too well and is struggling for a solution. The majority of his offerings are below what one would consider normal (not crazily so, but more what one might expect after bargaining down the price).
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-26 at 04:17 AM.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    spot hidden: (1d100)[7]

"I wasn't sure how long it would take to get here. That's fine, I can wait," Deirdre says, having a look at the boards and pamphlets. She wondered if the house they were investigating could be found here...
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    You would certainly be able to find it, but there isn't anything of too much import. It simply lists as 4,000 sq. ft. lot for $700. However, with the Spot Hidden, you notice that the price has been crossed out from $1,100 to $950 to $799, and finally to this.
    ----

Anything else you'd like to do in the short while, or should I time jump 20 min.?
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-26 at 04:33 AM.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Deirdre
    Show
    I suppose aside from looking at other random plaques, posters, or notices. Nothing Deirdre really wants to do.. unless.. how busy does that receptionist look? If she looks really bored and idle, maybe Deirdre could talk to her...

I don't know about what though!
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-10-26 at 04:38 AM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    The receptionist right now looks quite busy, going over several forms. Every now and then she gets a call, and you can't help overhear conversation along the lines of "I'm sure he'll get back to you." or "Yes, the price can be made negotiable." and "No, we're not planning on making it out to the Ghost Tours of Boston. We are not a charity organization."
    Nevertheless, time passes and you're just about to become rather bored when the door flies open and a man clearly of well-repute strides through the door. "I'm not purchasing that land, have you heard what the locals say, Steven? Place wouldn't get a lick of business, I say!"
    Meanwhile a weary-looking man with an wire-rim glasses calls after him, "James I'm sure we can work something out, please, just... I could demolish it!"
    The previous man hastily puts on his coat. "You know I don't care too much about these superstitions, Steven, but there are customers who do. Nobody from that area is going to want to have anything to do with that building. I wish you luck, buddy, but you ain't gonna find it with me." He then heads off as you sit surprised by the conversation as a whole.
    Mr. Knott (presumably), turns to the receptionist. "Anything while I was busy, Miss Jones?" The receptionist nods in your direction. "Ah! I'm sorry, I didn't see you there, ma'am." He walks over to you, doing his best to put on a good impression after the desperation that you just witnessed. "Would you like to buy something, anything, anything at all?" He smiles weakly, "The prices can be negotiated upon of course!"
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-26 at 04:52 AM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    ((Wow, I feel that has something to do with that nice luck roll I made earlier..))

Deirdre was rather surprised by what she overheard just from sitting here. It seemed someone was asking about donating the "haunted" house over the phone, and a meeting about the same property just blew up right before she was to meet Mr. Knotts himself.

The things she overheard left Deirdre speechless. Or, rather, she dared not interrupt and bother the man. At the very least, just from what she had overheard, she felt she could begin to understand Mr. Knott's view...

Deirdre stands and smiles somewhat timidly at Mr. Knotts, offering a hand and saying, "Oh dear.. that didn't go over well, did it?" She shakes her head, frowning at the exit the other man stormed out of. "No, I'm not here to buy anything, Mr. Knotts. I'm here to help you.. with that." She again points to the exit. "I'm Deirdre McCoy, from the Society you contacted earlier about your property on Sheafe Street? I .. hope you could spare some time discussing it and share what you know."

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    Maybe...
    ----

The man looks crestfallen as you mention you're not going to buy anything, but his mood seems to lighten up a bit as you speak of the society. "Oh... Oh! Yes, of course of course, right this way. Please, take a seat, do you need anything to drink? I'm sure Miss Jones can get you something to drink." He eagerly shakes your hand and leads you inside of the small back portion of the office. You see that it's in quite a state of disarray, papers are stacked haphazardly atop the desk, and several file cabinets stand open with the files themselves not fully organized.

Spoiler: Successful Spot Hidden Roll
    Show
    You notice that several of the papers and files are letters with the words: "Past Due" stamped.

"Well, as you just witnessed, Miss McCoy, I'm at my wit's end. Nobody's willing to buy this property of mine, heck, I doubt I could even sell it to a splifficated (read: drunken) drifter on the street for all he owns."
    He shakes his head. "The Marcarios gave this place a bad name, but now it just seems to be getting worse the longer it's on the market." He notices your look of confusion. "Previous tenants, involved in some sort of tragedy, I think. I'm not really sure, I've spent most of my time just trying to convince people to actually purchase the place."
    He reaches for something at his side, but then pauses and looks at you nervously. "You're, uh, you're not a cop, right, I mean, you don't look like one, but..."

Spoiler: Successful Psychology Roll
    Show
    This guy is clearly extraordinarily nervous; however, it could be because he's hiding something, or it might just be because of other external reasons.
    Spoiler: Hard Psychology Roll
    Show
    You notice he seems especially anxious when he mentions the facts that "nobody's willing to buy it" and "it just seems to be getting worse the longer it's on the market."
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-26 at 05:29 AM.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    "Just some water, please," Deirdre says as he offers a drink. She nods along at his explanation, noting his hesitation or paranoia asking if she was a cop...

psychology roll: (1d100)[90] (if it fails still going with my guess)

Deirdre imagined he was so stressed out he wanted some alcohol at this point. "No, I'm not. But I may be seeing one," she says with a grin, far to genuinely happy to just be playing around. Then again, she wasn't really seeing a cop, was she? Not yet, technically.

Trying to be a bit more serious she says, "Well, I'm really sorry about that. My colleagues, they're a bit better with libraries and are trying to do some research on the place. I'll have to ask if they found anything about the Marcarios, or if that name would help them down the road..."

"So listen, I wanted to ask you.. first of all, we briefly visited the property and noticed that it's really out of place. It's the only house there amid a sea of commercial buildings. Supposing the place wasn't haunted, do you think you could even sell it to a homeowner?"

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    I also added in a Spot Hidden roll too, feel free to make one.
    ----

Miss Jones comes in with a cup of water and then busily returns to her work, but not before handing a small slip of paper that you notice contains the record of the calls you overheard. He clearly looks upset about this, but puts it aside to deal with the moment at hand.
    After that's done and you make your statement, Mr. Knott looks confused for a moment, but decides to take a chance anyway and takes a small sip from a flask. "Sorry, just to cool the nerves, you know?" As you ask your question he sighs. "To be honest, I don't really know. Issue is, this thing is burning a hole in my pocket like no tomorrow. Heck, that's why I was willing to pay you all, as I need it off my back. I started out selling homes, but given how fast this city of ours is expanding, I thought I might enter the commercial business... Made a couple of good deals, but it didn't take too long before I got suckered into buying this drain of a place. Worst choice of my life."
    He takes another sip from the flask. "I figure I can cut a deal, even a bad one, as long as the name is cleared. Locals just keep on talking, which is why I hired you all to put this godforsaken business to bed. I just need to make a profit on this place, that's all I need..." He trails off for a moment, staring at the desk before looking back at you, "So, is there anything else I can help you with?"

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    "Well.. I did initially want to ask if anyone showed interest in the property at all before? Perhaps, as an angle, seeing if someone was maliciously trying to spread rumors to lower the price... Or come to think of it, that Ghost Tours place sure would love to have it, wouldn't they?"

"But um.. can I ask, how does simply owning this land hurt you? I mean, don't you only have to pay property taxes? And that's not.. too bad.. right..?"

She shakes her head and adds, "Sorry, I'm not a realtor."

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    Mr. Knott scoffs, "They'd love to have it for free, and there's no way that's going to happen. They just call every now and then to see, more of a nuisance really. I doubt they'd spread rumors or anything. But hey, maybe you might ask around the neighborhood and discover all the locals in the area are secretly in league with the tour company!" He chuckles to himself at the thought "As for anyone else, nobody that I know of has shown interest. I've always had to try and get them interested."
    For the second part he shakes his head, "Well, normally, yes, but I took out a loan. A house, in the middle of a burgeoning financial district, this'll be quick and easy!" He takes another sip. "Haven't been able to sell the dang thing, so I haven't been able to pay off the loan. Interest builds, debt climbs, and the lot sits abandoned..."
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-26 at 06:09 AM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Hmm. Considering they had to take out a loan just to buy this one property...
    Deirdre thought for a moment that the business might not be doing well. In fact, he was probably on his last legs, scraping the bottom of the barrel if he bothered trying the society for help.

At this point, making suggestions for how to save the business probably wasn't going to help. So Deirdre asked, "By locals, who are you referring to, specifically? I wouldn't really say the house has neighbors... unless, I don't know. Maybe late night workers have seen or heard something? Well, hopefully not, actually. How long have those surrounding office buildings been there?"
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-10-26 at 01:38 PM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    The cup of water is empty at this point. From what I remember of the surrounding area, most of the buildings have spouted up in the last couple of years or so. So, not many people seem to know too much... but apparently some of the more permanent local businesses - vendors and the like, love to gossip. He shakes his head ruefully.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-26 at 02:06 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Deirdre thinks for a minute. "Hm. Well, I do thank you for your time.. I think now we'll have a much better perspective on the case. And perhaps, another lead." She smiles warmly at Mr. Knott.

"Don't worry Mr. Knott. I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of this and you'll have it sold. In the meantime, perhaps you should just concentrate on selling your other properties that might not be haunted so you can pay off the loan?" Again, another hopeful smile. Not like she wanted to tell him what to do. She was just trying to help.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    He nods gravely, and as you depart you hear a mutter of Im trying... You head out of Knott Housing ready to continue your investigation.

So... where to next?
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-26 at 04:10 PM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Deirdre would like to try visit that Ghost Tours of Boston. How would she go about finding them? Maybe a flier or brochure, or would someone at the hotel know?
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-10-26 at 04:10 PM.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    Im sure that the concierge would have information regarding such things.

Boston, 11:09 AM, Tuesday November 2nd, 1921

Deirdre heads back to the hotel and searches for information regarding the tours. Eventually after asking around for a bit she discovers that the company hosts tours M/W/F from 1-3 PM and on the weekends from 10 AM - 12 PM and 2-4 PM.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-26 at 04:29 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGirl

Spoiler: Izzy
    Show
    Izzy follows the directions, and heads upstairs looking for Arty.
    Last edited by Zene; 2019-10-26 at 07:53 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    So that's more like the consumer/tourist end of it. Is there any information on their offices or methods of contact?

22. - Top - End - #142

DruidGirl

(Psychology roll from a few posts back: (d100)[54])

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Yitzhak Laskov
    Show
    Navigating the long rows of typists and secretaries running about is challenging, but Izzy is at least somewhat used to the hustle and bustle of a newspaper. Eventually Lois, after a couple of statements ("'Ey, I'm walkin' 'ere!") and you make it up to the next floor.
    You realize there's quite a bit of construction going on on this floor, ladders and painters are practically an aspect of the furniture, which the workers easily navigate under and around. You also happen to notice Lois seems to go out of her way to not go under any of the ladders. Eventually, you find yourself in front of a small but sizable office, Mr. Flemming would be jealous, you think to yourself.
    A rotund man leans back in his chair and lights a cigarette as you enter. "So, look wat the cat dragged in, a Wop (read: derogatory term for someone of Italian descent) an' a Mrs. Grundy. (read: someone who appears to be rather uptight or straight-laced) Wadda ya' want wit' dear old Arty Wilmot?" The man places special emphasis on the last couple of words, feigning naivete and innocence (not of any crime, just general innocence).
    Lois' eyes stare daggers into the man, and with a flare of her nostrils, it looks like she's about to burst and sock the man right across the jaw.

Show
    The concierge exchanges more words with the person on the telephone. Eventually after a bit he notes. "Well ma'am, you should be to find them at 146 Tremont St. right across from where all of their tours start: the Boston Commons." You can quickly get directions there, it's maybe a five minute walk away.

24. - Top - End - #144

DruidGirl

Show
    Izzy quickly flashes a good-natured smile as he starts talking, hoping he can direct the conversation before Lois reacts. He reaches his hand out to offer a handshake as hes talking, and in doing so positions his body so hes partly inbetween the two.

Artie, hi Im Izzy of the Arkham Gazette; and this is Lois, he nods over his shoulder, whos helping me with some local research. We were hoping to look a few things up in your archives. Im sure youre a busy man, but if you could point us in the right direction?

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    As you mention her, Lois gives an incredibly curt "Hello." She notices your intercession and honors it (for now), but it's quite clear the Artie is quickly pushing all the right buttons.
    Meanwhile, the man in question leans forward, shakes your hand with his own one (a little bit greasy), and sits up straight, puffing out his chest as he does. "Ah, so ya' both snoops, lookin' to steal a story under Artie's nose. I see, I see, well, looks like it's ya' lucky day pal, I'll show ya' both to tha' archives. Ya head down the stairs and right out tha' front doors!" He puffs on his cigar with a smirk.
    This does not help Lois' attitude (sound of knuckles cracking).

Spoiler: Successful Psychology Roll
    Show
    You're beginning to realize this is a guy who enjoys whatever power he can grab, and lording it over people. Therefore, he's going to fight to exercise it in whatever way he can, so he'll probably need some serious convincing, charming, intimidating, etc...

Spoiler: Successful Intelligence (Idea) Roll
    Show
    You can't help but wonder if you can use Lois' anger to your advantage some way. She's clearly quite intimidating when she wants to be... (of course, there are always other methods, I'm just noting one that might not stand out because you're not actually present in the room while this is going on)
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-27 at 12:43 AM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Deirdre thinks for a minute and decides she may as well head for that place that offers the tours and the adjacent office now. Never know if she might arrive at just the right time now...

Before she goes, however, she leaves a message for the others: 'Checking out Ghost Tours of Boston at 146 Tremont St. They may have a horse in the race. They don't do tours on Tuesday though.'

With that she heads over to the aforementioned address to scope out the scene, and maybe see if the office is still open before lunch!
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-10-27 at 01:31 AM.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    Note that the tours run from 1-3 on M/W/F there are no tours on Tuesday.
    ----

Boston, 11:20 AM, Tuesday November 1st, 1921

It's a short walk over towards the Boston Commons as you pass by a burial ground, several churches, and people strolling through the commons (wearing heavy clothing, and it being cloudy, but hey, still strolling). Eventually, you arrive at the visitor's center (the origin point for the tour) and see several people going on other different tours of the historic city. From there it doesn't take too long to look across the street and notice a large over-the-top sign labeled "Ghost Tours of Boston" on a squat two-story building with a variety of crafted decorations consisting of ghosts, pumpkins, and other spooky equipment.

Spoiler: Successful Idea (Intelligence) Roll
    Show
    You surmise that they still haven't taken down decorations from last night's festivities.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-27 at 12:38 AM.

28. - Top - End - #148

DruidGirl

Show
    Psychology roll: (d100)[9]

29. - Top - End - #149

DruidGirl

Show
    Izzy frowns for a second. But when he hears the cracks behind him, he looks Artie right in the eye again, and gives a pitying half grin.

So much for professional courtesy.

Izzy releases his hand, and steps away from the desk and to the side, no longer obstructing Lois. He gives her a raised eyebrow and his best all yours look, crossing his arms as he leans back against the wall.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    Please give me an Intimidate roll for Lois, with a Bonus Die because you're "Helping" (again this mechanic is limited to NPC + PC cooperation).