The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 180 of 685
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2016

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Lois
    Show
    Intimidation: (d100)[94]
    Bonus from Izzy: (d10)[6]

  2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Yitzhak Laskov
    Show
    Oof, that was rough...
    ----

    Lois nods and looks over at Artie. "So, yer the big boss 'round 'ere, right?" The editor gives her a sly smile. "Well, I'm the gal who puts bosses in their place, got me?" She stands firm for emphasis.
    Meanwhile, Artie gets up from his chair and stares Lois right in the eye. "Hah! Ya' think ya' scare me? I face down rougher, meaner, and tougher men almost every day! Get on back ta' your flop of a country..."
    Lois' hand goes for her switchblade. You look around, nobody seems to have noticed this altercation, but that could most certainly change if things don't go well.
    ----

    Lois would try and Push the roll. You can let her, rolling again with the Bonus Die, or you can do your best to halt her. Alternatively, feel free to try some other conversational method. It would most definitely be Pushing the roll, but again: roleplaying game so it's up to you.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-27 at 01:19 AM.

  3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2016

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Izzy
    Show
    Izzy decides to trust this street-smart woman—You don’t get to her age, and be that handy with a switchblade, without having the restraint to not use it...

    ...Right?


    He stays in place, and keeps his eyes on Artie, doing his best to complement Lois’s demeanor.

    Lois Intimidation: (d100)[54]
    Izzy bonus: (d10)[7]


  4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Yitzhak Laskov
    Show
    Sorry, I realized I couldn't wait, and I actually made the roll myselfThe knife flies out quick as a whip as Lois' demeanor takes on something calm, cool, and collected. "If ya' know what's good for ya'. You'll help me and my friend here. Otherwise, well, yer a journalist..." Knife pressed out, Arty's face pale, she whispers something in his ear.

    Spoiler: Successful Listen Roll
    Show
    "Ya' know what happens ta' people who cross Dutch Schultz."

    Spoiler: Successful Know (Education) Roll
    Show
    The name Dutch Schultz sounds familiar... you think back and recall your time in NYC... yes! Dutch Schultz, bootlegger and powerful gang leader... you can't help but wonder at Lois' connections to this shady individual.


    "'Course, 'course I'll help..." She twirls the knife back and turns towards you with a devious smile. "Mightn't be as pretty as Miss McCoy, but it gets tha' job done." She then looks towards her hands, "Probably have ta' go ta' 'fession on Sunday." She then shrugs her shoulders.
    Meanwhile, Arty has left his office and returned with a young woman. "This, well, uh, ma'am and sir, this's Miss Blake." Miss Blake looks at Arty rather strangely but she nods in confirmation.
    "Mister Wilmot told me that ya' wanted to check out the clippins'? Right this way." She gestures for you to follow as Arty settles back into his chair, pale from the entire affair.

    You head back past the repainting (Lois still takes care to avoid the underbelly of the ladders) while Miss Blake inquires, "So, watcha all lookin' into?" Lois lets you take the lead on this one, after all, she mentioned she's not really one for "Makin' smiles."
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-27 at 01:58 AM.

  5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Let's start with that idea roll: (1d100)[64] And then I'll edit the rest in later.

    Spoiler: Deirdre McCoy
    Show
    Well, considering that someone had called Mr. Knott's office earlier this morning, there may be a chance someone was around. Deirdre walks across the street to the building, still decorated with Halloween stuff, and sees if there's some kind of.. door she can knock on?
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-10-27 at 01:56 AM.
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

  6. - Top - End - #156
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Deirdre McCoy
    Show
    You press through the decorations and eventually knock on the door. Behind it you hear a muffled "Hello? I'm afraid we don't have any tours today, come again tomorrow."
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-27 at 08:35 AM.

  7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Deirdre McCoy
    Show
    Deirdre responds, trying to raise her voice a bit up to get through the door. "Um. That's ok. Not really here for a tour anyway. Did you want to talk about that house on Sheafe Street?"
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

  8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Deirdre McCoy
    Show
    Instantly the door opens and you see a middle-aged man standing there, "Well, of course, of course, come in, come in." He gestures for you to enter as you see you're basically standing in a one-room office full Halloween decorations. A singular desk sits in the room piled with papers and objects of fright. "Yes, yes, come, have a seat..." He himself sits behind the desk. "Francis Jameson." He offers you a handshake. "So, the house on Sheafe St., yes? What do you know?"
    ----

    Give me a Credit Rating or an Appearance roll (huh, I wonder which one you'll use) please.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-27 at 08:37 AM.

  9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Deirdre
    Show
    Appearance: (1d100)[96]

    "Well, my colleagues and I are currently investigating it as we speak. For instance, we found out it was originally built and owned by a Mr. Webber in the early 1800's, who died in his thirties. But for now, we also have full access to its interior. This week only. How does that interest you?" Deirdre asks, perhaps with a slight air of smugness.


    Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Ouch. What does this mean? Did a bird poop on her, and she doesn't notice? Or a wardrobe malfunction?

    Or maybe the guy.. isn't into pretty ladies in the slightest.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-10-27 at 09:45 AM.
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

  10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Or maybe the guy.. isn't into pretty ladies in the slightest.
    Spoiler: Deirdre McCoy
    Show
    Something along those lines, yes. It's not a Fumble because for you, you Fumble on a 100, but it's more that he might not be into someone like you (possibly because of what you mentioned)
    ----

    The man looks quizzically at you, "Ah... I see." He then shakes his head, "Well, do you know anything else?" He puts on somewhat of a resigned expression.

  11. - Top - End - #161
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2016

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Izzy
    Show
    Listen roll: (d100)[79]

    Izzy strains to overhear, but can’t quite make it out. Maybe it’s better I don’t, though...


    Wow, remember to never cross Lois!

    Izzy shakes off the worse of his shock as the assistant starts walking them away, but remains a bit flustered.

    ”Oh, um—yes, we ...we’re looking into stories of ‘haunted houses’ for the Gazette. We hoped your archives might have some information relating to, um, 20...”

    ((sorry, on phone so I can’t easily look up the details. But Izzy mentions the address, and the name from the blueprints, and the name of their current patron.

    Last edited by Zene; 2019-10-27 at 12:00 PM.

  12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Yitzhak Laskov
    Show
    Lois notices your temporary pause and finishes, "20 Sheafe St.'s what we're lookin' fer ma'am."
    Miss Blake nods, "'Course, I'd be happy ta' help." She leads you down some steps into a dusty basement filled with filing cabinets and stacked high with old newspapers and other assorted junk. The whole room smells musty and the boiler system gives out a lot of heat. Miss Blake begins digging through the files, as you notice they're all filed by street address, making the whole thing much easier. Eventually, she pulls out a slim sheet of paper with several notes written. "Here's all we got on Sheafe, hope it 'elps." She then begins to reorganize the place while you and Lois look over the information regarding the home.

    Lois gasps, "Well I'll be, seems like we got somethin' 'ere, eh, journal-boy?"

    Spoiler: Successful Spot Hidden Roll
    Show
    You happen to notice something else, something that fell out of the file which Miss Blake must have missed, a clipping of an article!


    Spoiler: Hard Spot Hidden Roll
    Show
    And wouldn't you know it, but there's something else there, it must have been misplaced among the adjacent file, but the word "Madman" makes you think of the previous article and thus, you notice...


    Spoiler: Successful Idea (Intelligence) Roll
    Show
    For a place that had several crazy events such as this occur, it's surprising that all that remains is a set of notes.
    ----

    Please give me a Credit Rating or Appearance roll.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-27 at 12:18 PM.

  13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Deirdre McCoy
    Show
    Deirdre looks at the man perplexed and shrugs. "Well.. I do know you seem keenly interested in acquiring the house for free.. and Mr. Knott is adamant about not giving it away. I think, perhaps, you could make a really low offer, and he may be desperate enough to accept it. Five hundred dollars? Four hundred? Three?"

    She raised a hand and hesitantly continues, "Not that I am a representative or negotiator for him. I am actually just interested in knowing the stories you must have heard about the place. For now, I could arrange a private tour to see the inside of the house, if you'd like. And perhaps.. if it turns out the house really is haunted, I could try to convince Mr. Knott to sell it for less than what he is already asking for."
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

  14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Deirdre McCoy
    Show
    Please give me a Persuade roll of varying difficulty (normally I’d have to specify the difficulty so you have an idea if you want to Push the roll or something, but different things happen depending on the degree of success) given that you’re using logic to try and prove your point.

  15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Deirdre
    Show
    Hah! I haven't even begun to try making an argument! And believe me I could make some good ones!

    Persuade: (1d100)[57]
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

  16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Deirdre McCoy
    Show
    I understand, and to be honest, you probably do make an argument (this takes quite a while and all to convince him to divulge the information). If you want to do the whole debate we can, but because this is PbP and I don't want to take too long, I'll just go with the roll.
    ----

    Francis looks at you, mulling over his options after a bit of discussion. "Well, as an alternative, I could wait until his business collapses and I scoop it up in the chaos." Now it's his turn to look a bit smug, "But look, if you're really interested in all this, I figure maybe I could gather a bit more information about the haunts of the house. I'll give ten bucks if you give me a 'report' about what you find in there and let me cite you." The air quotes are quite evident. "Anyway, you clearly don't know anything about the house. Find Mr. Dooley, he'll tell you the whole thing." He notices your confusion, "Vendor on Sheafe St., unsavory sort, but he knows everything that goes down on that street." You're beginning to suspect that Francis' description of Mr. Dooley can also apply to himself.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-27 at 03:05 PM.

  17. - Top - End - #167
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2016

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Izzy
    Show
    spot hidden: (d100)[87]
    Idea: (d100)[83]
    Appearance:(d100)[15]

    ”Wow, it sure does, Lois. Definitely lends credence to the house being haunted....”
    Last edited by Zene; 2019-10-27 at 03:10 PM.

  18. - Top - End - #168
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Yitzhak Laskov
    Show
    Miss Blake seems confused about the meager results, and she's is just about to head out when she comments, "Ya' know, the Globe burned down in 1878, was rebuilt, but none a' the papers we have from earlier are here. If anything about tha' house was written earlier, ya' might find it in tha' library?"
    She then departs, leaving you and Lois looking at eachother quizzically. "So what next?"
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-27 at 03:12 PM.

  19. - Top - End - #169
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2016

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Izzy
    Show

    Izzy looks at the huge archives, marveling at how much reporting they’d done just *since* the fire.

    ”I dunno. With all this information here, it’s a little disappointing to only find the one killed article. —oh and shoot, she ran off before we could ask about the obituaries.”

    Izzy racks his brain, trying to think of anything they can use the archives for.
    Last edited by Zene; 2019-10-27 at 03:27 PM.

  20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Yitzhak Laskov
    Show
    As you're writing it down, a sudden instinct (journalism sense tingling) makes you wonder if there's anything else still here. After all, it's been several years since the last accident happened, maybe there's something else as well? Then again, the files are immaculately organized, and if you're searching for something only partially related to the house... you'd probably have to move a lot of boxes and files around.
    ----

    So sure, you may Push the Spot Hidden roll if you'd like.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-27 at 03:28 PM.

  21. - Top - End - #171
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2016

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Izzy
    Show
    Pushing for spot hidden: (d100)[90]

  22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Deirdre McCoy
    Show
    Deirdre counter offers, "Well surely if he went out of business, a bank would take the property and sell it anyway. I hope you understand that while Mr. Knott may be in a crunch due to a loan he's taken out, the bank would be in quite the opposite position. They'd probably just sit on it forever, if they had to... And who knows if the new buyer will just demolish the home to make a new office without thinking about it? Now that would be such a shame. I know Mr. Knott was talking about demolishing it just today, even..." Deirdre tried to seem like she didn't care much about what happened either way, but secretly was rooting for Mr. Knott.

    She says, "If you just want me to make up some baloney, you can forget it. BUT... if we do genuinely experience something supernatural, you might just get the personal accounts of three people." She smiles.

    Then sudden realization dawns on her face. "Oh, I never did introduce myself, did I? I'm Deirdre McCoy, a member of the Society for the Exploration of the Unexplained. I do thank you for your time, Mr. Jameson, and the tip. Remember, whatever happens, we are interested in uncovering the truth of things..." Deirdre smiles once more, perhaps a polite and eloquent way of wrapping up a conversation as she could improvise.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-10-27 at 05:10 PM. Reason: damn you autocorrect
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

  23. - Top - End - #173
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Yitzhak Laskov
    Show
    You're pulling open a file cabinet, moving a box or two, when suddenly you hear a sharp KRK noise and the shelves of archives suddenly collapse! Lois athletically jumps almost on instinct against the falling files (a Dodge roll of 15), but as for you...

    Spoiler: Successful Dodge Roll
    Show
    You manage to leap out of the way, nimbly dodging the falling files.

    Spoiler: Failed Dodge Roll
    Show
    A small box of the files comes crashing down on you, as you take 1 point of damage.

    As the massive sound rackets around the room, immediately several strong-armed maintenance men and typists crowd around the door to the archives room. Gathering what has happened immediately there are cries of "Who are they?" and "Get 'em out a' 'ere!" Prompting several of the workers to come down and try to drag you out of the Globe. Lois shakes her head almost as a silent statement of "Don't."
    ----

    However, you may, of course, resist should you so wish.

  24. - Top - End - #174
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2016

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Izzy
    Show
    Dodge roll: (d100)[3]

    Izzy nimbly side-steps the collapse; he’s no stranger to precariously-perched documents.

    As the newsroom toughs come running, Izzy calls out, ”my apologies!” and lets them direct him out.

    Last edited by Zene; 2019-10-27 at 03:45 PM.

  25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Deirdre McCoy
    Show
    He just sits there looking smug while you're talking to him.
    Spoiler: Successful Psychology Roll
    Show
    You gather based on his non-reaction that he doesn't think too highly of you, or at least compared to himself, and being of such a mindset, he's especially not going to take business advice from a young lady such as yourself (even though, of course, your advice is practical and makes far more sense than what he's doing...).

    He then nods placidly, "Sure, yeah, I'd gladly take some 'personal' accounts." It seems like he doesn't understand you at all, but nevertheless winks as if you're sharing some inside secret. "Of course, of course, pleasure to meet you, McCoy." He then leans back in his chair and takes out a pipe, satisfied the conversation is complete.

  26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Deirdre
    Show
    psychology: (1d100)[86]

    Deirdre bids the man a farewell, though... she felt she didn't particularly like his attitude about the whole situation. Sad.

    She heads back to the hotel to see if there were any messages left for her. Or better yet, if she might bump into any of the others.
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

  27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Yitzhak Laskov
    Show
    Well, now that you're out I'm assuming you're proceeding with the next aspect of the plan: the library.
    ----

    You hear a shout from behind you "And stay out!" Lois grimaces and you both press on towards the Library. "Well there goes any chance further investigatin' there..."

    Boston, 11:12 AM, Tuesday November 1st, 1921

    You head towards the Boston Central Library, it's quite a walk from the Globe to the Public Library, a great big building full of mysteries and knowledge for those willing to pour through its contents. You quickly begin to investigate its catalogues and try your best to find whatever information you can concerning the house on Sheafe St.
    ----

    Please give me a Library Use roll with the Bonus Die from Lois' help.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-27 at 05:29 PM.

  28. - Top - End - #178
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Deirdre McCoy
    Show
    Boston, 12:02 PM, Tuesday November 1st, 1921
    ----

    Zing now waits for a bit for Zene to catch up to check whether or not they'd be at the Hotel at this point. However, in the case that they are not, how long would Deirdre wait?

  29. - Top - End - #179
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2016

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Izzy
    Show
    Izzy starts looking for info on the address; as well as any info (like obituaries) on Webber or any of the previous occupants noted in the Globe’s non-story. (Let me know if I need to make multiple rolls)

    Library use: (d100)[67]
    Bonus die from Lois: (d10)[2]

  30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Yitzhak Laskov
    Show
    Boston, 12:56 PM, Tuesday, November 1st, 1921

    You start at the very beginning, a very good place to start. As you begin to trace reports concerning the house of Sheafe St. and Mr. Webber. You gather a small bit of information - the man was a merchant, made several good deals, but then you come upon this:
    Lois looks at you quizzically over a meal of Boston street food as you discuss your findings, "Corbitt? Now tha's a name we haven't 'eard before."
    ----

    Again, you may continue to look for any more information regarding whatever topic you'd like, and make an appropriate Library Use roll with a Bonus Die. Otherwise, feel free to head somewhere else.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •