1. - Top - End - #241
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

Lois nods, "Where to first, then?"

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Deirdre shrugs and says, "Um.. why don't we try the city hall first? I'm sure there must be more information on Mr. Corbitt in there... Maybe not much, but maybe it'll give us more to go on for looking through the library?"
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-10-30 at 12:52 AM.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Lois nods and heads out along with Deirdre while Yitzhak is on the phone. Waving goodbye and pointing out towards City Hall just to make sure he understands where they're headed.

Spoiler: Deirdre McCoy + Yitzhak Laskov
    Show
    Boston, 9:42 AM, Wednesday, November 2nd, 1921

Both you and Lois make your way back to City Hall. Leslie Jenkins gives you a smile and a wave as she sees the both of you again, and meanwhile you continue to look through Mr. Corbitt's personal files. What more shall you uncover?
    ----

Presuming that you're making a Library Use roll for Lois, please give me one with a Bonus Die due to your assistance.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGirl

Phone-y luck roll! (d100)[41]

5. - Top - End - #245

DruidGirl

Izzy sets up an appointment at Roxbury for noon tomorrow, and then hurries after Deirdre and Lois. (He’s fluent in pointing.)
    Last edited by Zene; 2019-10-30 at 01:11 AM.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You may read the above spoiler (and roll with the Bonus Die)

7. - Top - End - #247

DruidGirl

Library use: (d100)[53]
    Bonus die: (d10)[3]

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I believe that information concerning Walter Corbitt was discussed as the object of your search, so that's what we'll be aiming for.
    ----

Boston, 11:31 AM, Wednesday, November 2nd, 1921

At first you begin by gathering the basic information. Apparently the man was born January 14, 1798, and died June 20, 1866.

Spoiler: Successful Intelligence (Idea) Roll (Yitzhak Laskov)
    Show
    The year 1866 sounds familiar for some reason...

He ran his own business as an Attorney at Law specializing as a defense attorney with a penchant for religious freedom lawsuits. Other than that, there appears to be limited information on the man, with the exception that he does, in fact, after digging for a while, have a will on record.

Spoiler: Successful Language (English) Roll
    Show
    Last Will and Testament of Walter Corbitt, Esquire

Walter Corbitt, Esquire 1798-1866
    Last Will and Testament 1866
    State of Massachusetts
    County of Suffolk

I, Walter Corbitt, of the County of Suffolk and State of Massachusetts, being in perfect health of body and mind, do make and ordain this my last will and testament in the following manner.

ITEM the first, I give to the Chapel of Contemplation, Copp's Hill, Boston, Massachusetts, all of my possessions, including my copy of <REDACTED> and my property at 20 Sheafe Street in Copp's Hill.
    ITEM the second, I direct my executor to lease my property at 20 Sheafe Street, using the proceeds to fund the church.
    ITEM 3rd, I wish my body be interred in the basement of the property at 20 Sheafe Street, as specified by the instructions left to my Executor.
    ITEM 4th, I appoint Pastor Michael Thomas of the Chapel of Contemplation in Copp's Hill, Boston, Massachusetts, as my Executor to this my last will & testament, this is the 17th day of July AD 1865.

Signed, Walter Corbitt, Esquire

Lois looks over the will with surprise, "Well... lotsa' new names, n' strange information."

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

"Have his body interred in the basement...?" Deirdre reads aloud, looking at the others. "Well that's certainly ominous, now isn't it?"

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Lois nods, looking rather uncomfortable at the idea of being buried in one's basement "There's no way I'd imagine tha' city goin' along with that though, n' from what we gathered there was also some sorta lawsuit 'gainst him ta' begin with..."

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

"Hmm... and will was written what? About a year before he died? Kinda weird how he just donates all his stuff to the church and state of Massachusetts too, right? But then again.. I guess when death is coming, and you're up there in years.. people get to fearing it and God and try to turn over a new leaf before it's too late.."

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The unease grows darker still, "N' why would the city redact whateva' he gave up?"

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

Deirdre suddenly gets an idea. Somehow there is a resolve to her voice when she says, "The executor may be dead, but I think we had better pay a visit to that Chapel of Contemplation to see if they still have that.. book, I think. Sounds like it's a book he donated."

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Lois suddenly gets an Idea, "Wait, do we even know tha' location a' tha' place? Oh! Maybe we could ask..." She rushes off and then returns with Miss Jenkins, "Miss Jenkins, where are all the religious buildin's n' such?"
    Leslie, rather surprised but interested with the aura of mystery around you all, having been frequenting her halls for the last couple of days, notes "They should be on Row H." before heading back to refiling shelves.
    Lois nods towards the indicated row. "Well, do ya' wanna ask around fer the thing, or do ya' wanna try and see what we can dig up on it while we're 'ere?"
    ----

Also brief pause to let Zene get caught up.

15. - Top - End - #255

DruidGirl

Idea roll: (d100)[79]
    English Language roll: (d100)[68]

Edit: :..(
    Last edited by Zene; 2019-10-30 at 11:41 AM.

16. - Top - End - #256

DruidGirl

"Hmm. Religious freedom, a specific chapel, weird burial instructions, and a mystery book. Some kind of cult?"

"It does seem strange that the city would approve his burial on-site, but still--that could explain the missing space in the basement."

"Good ideas! Let's look it up while we're here. If these Chapel of Contemplation folks are still around..."
    Last edited by Zene; 2019-10-30 at 11:51 AM.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Please give me a Library Use roll with a Bonus Die.

18. - Top - End - #258

DruidGirl

Library Use: (d100)[80]
    Bonus die: (d10)[3]

Edit: Thank you Lois!
    Last edited by Zene; 2019-10-30 at 11:53 AM.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Lois grins, "What can I say except Ya' welcome

Boston, 11:54 AM, Wednesday, November 2nd, 1921

After searching for a while it seems that you've come up with a limited amount of information. The church apparently emerged in the early 1800's but established itself as a "Nondemoninational Church" in 1818. It's location was at 20 Hull St., but other than that, however, it's strange, almost like there's no evidence of anything actually happening to it, it was closed though, in 1912, but there's no information on that either. Lois looks wary, "Well, we 'ave the location, should we 'ead off then, or keep into this?"
    ----

The reason this took a shorter amount of time than a normal Hard Success on a library use was because I wanted to pause once you found it's address. After all, Deirdre mentioned heading out to the place, and I didn't want to automatically time-skip several hours when in reality all you wanted to find was its address. If you'd like to continue searching, just let me know.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

Deirdre says, "Hmm. But it closed nearly a decade ago... I kind of doubt it will be the same.. or even if it's still there, how would we get inside?" She sighs. "I wish the Globe wasn't trashed. I'm sure there must be something there about that place.. Maybe the library would have to do for now."

(1d100)[76]

(1d10)[7]

(If there's an option to keep searching city hall for additional info, might as well stay here first though)

21. - Top - End - #261

DruidGirl

"Well... All the Globe archives prior to 1880-something are stored in the library anyway. But, if we did want to get back to the Globe itself--there's one of our faces they haven't seen yet." Izzy grins at Deirdre.
    Last edited by Zene; 2019-10-30 at 01:29 PM.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Boston, 1:45 PM, Wednesday, November 2nd, 1921

You’ve spent nearly two hours searching for more information regarding the church. Heading out for a while to a café for a lunch of clam chowder. Other than what you’ve found, however, it's strange, almost like there's no evidence of anything actually happening to it, during its operation or after the close, with one singular exception. You manage to dig through enough files and eventually uncover a small scrap of paper concerning the church in 1912, the same year as its closure. However all it contains is: “docket case number: 359.” Lois suddenly rushes off, and returns with a confused but interested Miss Jenkins. "'Ey, where're all the legal files, n' cases?"
    Immediately it's a rush to Row D. However, despite your search through the mess all you manage to uncover is a singular appearance docket.

Spoiler: Successful Law Roll
    Show
    You happen to remember reading once that the "-R" end of a report is in reference to a "Raid."
    Spoiler: Hard Success
    Show
    In addition, files in the 300 range are considered to be classified.

Miss Jenkins looks rather surprised, "Well, this's strange, ya' know, we don't really hold anythin' bout crimes n' whatnot, anythin' like that'd be handled by tha' courts over in the station."
    ——

Huh, I’m glad that you guys were friendly towards Miss Jenkins...

23. - Top - End - #263

DruidGirl

Law roll: (d100)[53]

Edit: added italics
    Last edited by Zene; 2019-10-30 at 02:26 PM.

24. - Top - End - #264

DruidGirl

”Two more names ... a pastor and a councilman. Seems like we should head to the station to get the file and see what this was about.“

“It’s already mid-afternoon. Should we split up? I’d be happy to keep digging at the library, but if either of you have a preference...”

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

Law? (1d100)[2]

"That's the same pastor as in the will. Hm. Actually. He COULD still be alive!"

"I've got a suggestion.. why don't I head over to the Globe and see how they're doing. One of you try to find records on this pastor, and the other get a hold of that copy of the police report?"

(adding from Law success)

"Hm. So there was a raid on them. And apparently this stuff is classified... That might be tough to get hold of that report, then..."

Deirdre didn't know how she knew this. Maybe it was in some random detective novel she read, and the odd tidbit of information stuck with her.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-10-30 at 03:42 PM.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Lois shrugs, "If they're classified, then they'd probably need someone ta' persuade (I have no idea what you'd have to do to get access to such a thing) 'em ta' let us see 'em. Don't think I'm tha' best one fer that, but maybe Izzy you could do it?" She then looks around the Hall of Records, "Meanwhile, guess I can check out tha' hall n' see what we got concernin' this Michael Thomas." With that, Lois waves goodbye and begins to delve into the stacks of records and case filings.
    ----

Presuming that we go along with this plan.
    ----

Miss Jenkins also departs, happy to have helped this kind group of people.

Spoiler: Deirdre McCoy
    Show
    Boston, 1:49 PM, Wednesday, November 2nd, 1921

You head off to The Boston Globe, it's surprisingly quite closeby (literally it just so happens that almost all of the major buildings are right next to each other). The building sits amongst several other newspapers (Boston Advertiser as an example), but is much taller than any other building in the area. You head into the paper and are immediately bombarded by the sound of typewriters. Rows upon rows of typists sit, clacking away on their keys to other transcripts. Meanwhile, pneumatic tubes send rolled up missives across the different floors of the building.
    You're quite confident that this is a tightly-run ship, efficiency is key here, and they must print several issues every day (as per the norm of most large newspapers at the time). Meanwhile, you stand in the mess of all this, enthralled by the general structure of the building and the efficiency of the workforce.

Spoiler: Yitzhak Laskov
    Show
    Boston, 2:08 PM, Wednesday, November 2nd, 1921

You make it back to the Central Library, this time without Lois. You feel comfortable sorting through all of the different articles of years past, and who knows, maybe there's more to this mystery that you'll be able to find in the library!
    ----

Please let me know what topic(s) you're looking for and subsequently give me a Library Use roll.

27. - Top - End - #267

DruidGirl

Spoiler: Izzy
    Show

Izzy starts by looking for info on the Chapel of Contemplation, and Pastor Michael Thomas.

Library use (d100)[83]
    And if a second one is called for: (d100)[94]

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Yitzhak Laskov
    Show
    Well... that's certainly one way to pass the evening.
    ----

Boston, 4:29 PM, Wednesday, November 2nd, 1921

You've been searching for several hours, and to be honest, your search does not seem to have borne fruit. Neither the church nor the pastor it seems were in the news, at least, not that you could find. However, it is beginning to get late, and you did all discuss that you would be back at the hotel by five.

Spoiler: Successful Combined Intelligence (Idea) and Luck Roll Where Both Must Succeed
    Show
    However, as you're heading back, you happen to pass by the same place as your previous search, and something in your mind clicks. You stopped your search at 1862, Corbitt died in 1866... could it be... yes!
    Well, it doesn't cover anything new really, but at least you've found something worth your time.

Spoiler: Successful Spot Hidden Roll
    Show
    And it's at that moment when you notice something else. There was another article that caught your eye which was closeby to this one? Interesting...

Nevertheless, it's time to return to the hotel. Hopefully, the other two gathered more information.
    ----

Zing now waits for WindStruck to catch up.

29. - Top - End - #269

DruidGirl

Show
    Combined Idea roll: (d100)[23]
    Last edited by Zene; 2019-10-30 at 06:07 PM.

30. - Top - End - #270

DruidGirl

Show
    Spot Hidden: (d100)[9]