The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting OOC

Well, we're now entering the actual beginning of the real meat of this scenario. I wish you the best of luck, recommend you take effective notes (see previous post), and I hope that you use the tools at your disposal effectively.

I do have another question for both of you though (you can still answer in spoilers if you see fit): When did each of your characters grow up? Everyone begins taking responsibility for their own lives at different times and in different ways. Were there any specific events related to when your character started taking care of themselves?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I don't want to go too far ahead without Zene, so I'm waiting to post.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I would like to reiterate that I personally do not care too much about what specific actions you take. You mentioned wanting to treat NPCs as real people, and in this scenario (scenario as in case, not scenario as in adventure), Lois thinks it'd be more practical and economically efficient to spend a couple of days reading and talking to people.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Well yeah. I am trying to treat everyone as people.

We just happen to disagree on what should happen first, or Deirdre perhaps seems to think the research isn't so important. I guess maybe she figured if it's so simple as checking the place out for hauntings and vagrants, just go inside the dang place and see if it's true or not.

On the other hand though.. strikes me odd that Lois would say "Deirdre doesn't want to defend herself." Like what, she thinks Deirdre actually wants to get attacked, raped, murdered?

Of course Deirdre doesn't want bad things to happen to her. It's just not her personality to fight, and quite frankly, even if she had knives and guns on her, still probably has little to no chance of surviving.
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Of course, but from Lois' perspective, someone walking around without a knife or a pistol on them in a crowded town would be begging for a mugging. It's also possible that such a phrase striking you as odd is an intentional choice...
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-24 at 02:37 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Ok. Well I was kinda wondering how to respond to this, but seems that since it's very intentional, Deirdre may have some words to "fight back".
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    Ok. Well I was kinda wondering how to respond to this, but seems that since it's very intentional, Deirdre may have some words to "fight back".
    In that case I'll hold off on my IC post.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Forgot to mention it, but yes, Lois was given the keys.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Funnily enough, despite all this talk of speaking with the neighbors, I think Deirdre will hold off on that and simply help everyone else research.

My thoughts are that just randomly going up to the buildings and asking strange questions of busy workers is likely to produce weird looks and no results. When it comes to gathering information from people, my first priorities would be like:

1) Talk to Mr. Knots, try to gauge his true motives, also ask if other people have made offers to buy the land.

2) Assuming people have made offers, go talk to them. Thing is, they might not even be located in those adjacent office buildings. Soo yeah.

I'll wait for Izzy to respond at least.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

That's fine; whatever you wish to do you may do. This is an RPG after all!
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-24 at 03:52 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by zingbobco000 View Post
    Well, we're now entering the actual beginning of the real meat of this scenario. I wish you the best of luck, recommend you take effective notes (see previous post), and I hope that you use the tools at your disposal effectively.

I do have another question for both of you though (you can still answer in spoilers if you see fit): When did each of your characters grow up? Everyone begins taking responsibility for their own lives at different times and in different ways. Were there any specific events related to when your character started taking care of themselves?
    Spoiler: Izzy
    Show

For Izzy, transitioning to adult was a gradual thing. His Bar Mitzvah at 13 technically meant he was then an adult; but in reality, it was just from a religious perspective.

He lived with his parents for a while, then moved to special yeshiva/rabbinical school housing as his education continued. So leaving the house was the next step; learning to cook, clean for himself. Manage his own meager budget.

But he didn't really feel like an *adult* until he left rabbinical school and struck out on his own. The feeling of finally being responsible for his own destiny was a heavy one. Though he still feels like a naive student a lot of the time. That's lessened a bit over the past few months, as he got settled into his life in Arkham.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zingbobco000 View Post

Oh sorry, I completely forgot about this!

Spoiler: Deirdre
    Show
    Growing up was a slow process. Deirdre's parents were not horrible, so they pretty much did their job of slowly getting her ready for adulthood.

Though there was somewhat of a schism in her family. As mentioned before, Deirdre was sort of like the black sheep. She wasn't as into religion as the others, and seemed, to them, to have "delusions of grandeur" when it came to being an actress. They weren't particularly supportive of Deirdre, and made it clear if she didn't live how they wanted her to, they were not going to help her in the slightest. And so Deirdre did have to "grow up" faster, at least when approaching adulthood, in order to work toward her dreams.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Don't worry, you're both fine. These are just OOC questions that are intended to give me more information about your characters. No real time-limit on them. Nevertheless, I do need actions at this point. Both of your characters have spoken about what they'd like to do, but what are they actually going to do?

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

So Lois mentioned needing to talk to the professor in order to try to get in touch with Mr. Knotts. I guess that means we'd have to call Professor Jones?

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Given that Mr. Knott essentially contacted the Professor initially, Lois figured that he'd have his contact information. So you'd have to call the professor (Lois mentioned the hotel's telephone) with a long-distance call, then ask him about Mr. Knott in order to get in contact with him.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Um. Can Lois roll with a bonus die, and Deirdre is her helper?

And here's the rolls for that clerk. We're both rolling? Two rolls?

charm: (1d100)[46]

persuade: (1d100)[90]

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

There's one roll and it's compared to both of your skills (that's what I mean by Combined). In this case, I'm using the 46, which is a success for one (technically both, but only one is required). You are indeed both rolling. Also if you'd like for that to be the case, sure, but still give me the roll with a bonus die and I'll compare it to her stats.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-24 at 05:25 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Alright.

Library use: (1d100)[7]

Bonus: (1d10)[7]

Well not even Deirdre would have messed up on that roll, so I'm sure Lois nailed it with an extreme success...
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-10-24 at 05:26 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well, for now that's a Hard Success (and I'll let you possibly improve Library Use), so both of you can read the successful library use spoiler, but don't open the degree of success one yet until Izzy rolls.

EDIT: I'm afraid Lois' Library Use skill is not as good as you think it is. She's much more at home in an athletic gym or a garage than a library (but that's not to say that she doesn't believe in research).
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-24 at 05:30 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50

DruidGirl

Combined Persuade + Charm: (d100)[8]
    Library Use w/ Bonus die: (d100)[86] w/ (d10)[7]

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Alright then! I figured with her being a student of engineering, she'd be better navigating around the library than Deirdre, but I guess not!

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Wow, that's certainly quite amicable. Leslie is more than happy to help the three of you.

A little bit better, just a bit (like she put some points into it [another form of character creation).

Anyway, you can both open up the Hard Success spoiler.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

So we'll be making another library use roll? Is the clerk helping us find the general area to get info on this Mr. Webber?

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

If both of you are staying, yes. That is what's happening. I'm sorry that I haven't been able to post, but y'all keep posting faster than I can consult my handouts and notes on! Also don't forget the bonus die from Lois (not that it matters for Izzy).
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-24 at 05:54 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Alright sorry. Guess I'll just make another library use roll and then let you catch up...

(1d100)[30]

bonus: (1d10)[5]

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm just sorry I cannot respond fast enough!

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, another 1% shot at miraculously becoming a doctor.

medicine: (1d100)[39]

28. - Top - End - #58

DruidGirl

Medicine: (d100)[34]

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Huh, I rolled a 32, apparently, we're all 30's...

Anyway, I do want to offer it out of principle, just because it's less so becoming a doctor and more just general knowledge of things.
    Speaking of which, that should actually probably be a combined Extreme Know (Education) roll where only one has to succeed (you all failed, but... shrug).
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-24 at 06:25 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Ok, another psychology roll.. bet I said exactly the wrong thing, didn't I?

(1d100)[1]