New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Sorcerer's ways to protect a home?

Hi folks!

We all know that wizards are unmatched in utility, having a wide range of spells at their disposal, many very useful for securing your home, like private sanctum and guards&wards. Clerics at least get the forbiddance spell. Bards might be able to pick up spells via magical secrets. Druids at least have that fancy druid grove spell whose name I can't remember.

Which ways are at the disposal of a single class high level sorcerer with no friends?

I know that spells known are scare for sorcerers, but lets put aside that for the moment.

Taking the ritual caster feat allows you to take forbiddance from the cleric list or alarm and magic mouth from the wizards.

But are there spells on the sorcerers spell list which are worth their salt in this regard?

I can hardly understand that beings that are supposedly suffused with magic don't have spells on their list to make their home (lair, hoard, whatever) more secure against scrying or unwanted teleporting intruders, especially as appearantly all the other full casters can do in some regard.

Heck, even the artificer gets private sanctum, as I now see!
    Last edited by Chrizzt; 2019-10-17 at 10:46 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Sorcerer's ways to protect a home?

Nothing I’m aware of until wish

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

d6 Re: Sorcerer's ways to protect a home?

Depends upon their spell list each one is different.

They can purchase any arcane scroll attempt to cast it.

Hire guards.

They are subpar in many areas.
    9 wisdom true neutral cleric you know you want me in your adventuring party

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

You're stuck doing it the old fashioned way- lock every door and make sure they're all stuck and spring-loaded with poisoned spike traps, build a bunch of pitfalls everywhere, design a bunch of esoteric puzzles that you need to solve to progress anywhere, and hire/attract/kidnap a whole bunch of monsters to roam the halls.

It's a real pain getting around, though. Don't misplace that skull that also doubles as a key or forget the answers to the riddle doors. And if you've solved getting around all of the monsters, please let me know.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

They don't really get the spells to pull this off conventionally (their spell list and class is a bit lacking unfortunately), but off the top of my head if they're high enough level you could just use Dimension Door. Have your home built into a mountain side/underground with no actual entrance and use DDoor as your way in/out (300ft forwards 100ft down/up).
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thank you all for your input so far!

I like the idea with the Dimension Door, and also about the traps and locks.

The reason for my question was that my sorcerer got hold of a castle, and has turned out to have a murderous enemy capable of magic. But there are many folks around (human servants and so on), so perhaps the inner sanctum could be trapped, but no monsters or deep caverns to hide. Wish is too far away and might be banned except for items or djinns etc.

Perhaps my char can research about some magic items helping in that regard, though I guess something that lets you cast private sanctum 1 per day would be too powerful and/or rare to give into commission.

We'll see! :)

If you have other ideas as well, I'm keen on hearing more.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chrizzt View Post
    Thank you all for your input so far!

I like the idea with the Dimension Door, and also about the traps and locks.

The reason for my question was that my sorcerer got hold of a castle, and has turned out to have a murderous enemy capable of magic. But there are many folks around (human servants and so on), so perhaps the inner sanctum could be trapped, but no monsters or deep caverns to hide. Wish is too far away and might be banned except for items or djinns etc.

Perhaps my char can research about some magic items helping in that regard, though I guess something that lets you cast private sanctum 1 per day would be too powerful and/or rare to give into commission.

We'll see! :)

If you have other ideas as well, I'm keen on hearing more.
    If this is a character you're playing then we can help with more information.

What level are you and what classes are your party?

What magic items have you and the party acrued?

How much gold do you have access to?

Depending on what kind of world you're playing in, you can get scrolls for spells you're missing like Arcane Lock. If you have the gold you can also make use of the lock from the common magic item list and skilled craftsmen to create hidden passageways.
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by denthor View Post
    They can purchase any arcane scroll attempt to cast it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dork_Forge View Post
    Depending on what kind of world you're playing in, you can get scrolls for spells you're missing like Arcane Lock.
    You can't. If the spell on a scroll isn't on your class list, the scroll is unintelligible. Scroll can help with sorcerer's limited number of known spells, but it can't do anything for the lack of useful spells on the sorcerer's list.
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dork_Forge View Post
    If this is a character you're playing then we can help with more information.

What level are you and what classes are your party?

What magic items have you and the party acrued?

How much gold do you have access to?

Depending on what kind of world you're playing in, you can get scrolls for spells you're missing like Arcane Lock. If you have the gold you can also make use of the lock from the common magic item list and skilled craftsmen to create hidden passageways.
    Thank you for your support! I think I already know about many options, which I will list below. But the following our party consists of:

Shadow Sorcerer Lvl 8 (soon 9)
    Aberrant Mind Sorcerer lvl 8 (soon 9)
    Grave Cleric 9
    Barbarian 9
    Gunslinger 8
    Monk 8 (I think)

From the cleric list I know we could use:
    Forbiddance
    Glyph of Warding
    Consecrate/Desecrate (though I shy way from this due to RP reasons)

I might get magic mouth as a ritual, to set up some alarm cries.

Gold is unfortunately a large issue, because my shire is not only bancrupt, but also highly in depts.

So some Glyph of Warding might be possible, but on the whole we are hard pressed.

We have, however, 100-150 human low level guards (because the castle is also one of the largest troop barracks in town). So I indent to protect with additional magic mainly the vault and the core where the more important people live (that is: I).

If you have further nice ideas, I would love to hear them!
    Last edited by Chrizzt; 2019-10-19 at 08:19 AM.