New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: New Unearthed Arcana: Fighter, Ranger, Rogue (October 17th)

The following changes I would make to Rune Knight:

• Giant Might damage boost is decreased to 1d4 instead of 1d6. It still increases to 1d8 with Great Stature. Rationale: DPR was too high, and this brings it in line with the 2nd-level spell it's replicating.
    • Haug's active effect is changed to be your choice of bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing damage. Rationale: Adds a restriction to an otherwise amazing ability, and adds tactical depth to both the player and the DM. The player must weigh the consequences of each damage type, and monster tactics might shift as a result.
    • Uvar's active effect can no longer affect hostile creatures' saving throws. Rationale: Lore Bard can't impose penalties to hostile creatures' saving throws either, despite being able to affect most other rolls. There's a reason for that.

For all you people who are mentioning PAM and dual wielding: Rune Knight is very bonus action heavy. Personally, I think this makes for a great sword-and-board, sword-and-grab. Or even archer. Yeah, you can't really make use of the Ise rune, but you've got others to choose from, and you get a bunch of ways to use bonus actions while shooting arrows.

Keep in mind, by the way, that you can double up on a rune's effects at 15th level by activating it twice. The main use for this is activating Ise twice for a whopping 24 Strength. Granted, to fully buff yourself up that way, you need *three* bonus actions if you’re also trying to add that 1d8 per hit. Again, PAM is maybe not the best option.

The part I like the most is the fact that you’re encouraged to have a variety of weapons. A couple runes specifically require a weapon attack, but I’d like rune invocations to generally require you to wield the item it’s inscribed upon. I think this would temper some of the class’ scaling, especially at high levels, and generally be more interesting to play.
    Last edited by Dark.Revenant; 2019-10-18 at 03:30 AM.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

I think Giant Might should either be made into a rune power or given at another level. In addition to being rather powerful it's a little weird for the subclass to have two entirely separate resource pools at level 3.
    Last edited by AdAstra; 2019-10-18 at 03:40 AM.
    The stars are calling, but let's come up with a good opening line before we answer

3. - Top - End - #123
    Orc in the Playground

My problem with the rogue (aside for why is this a subclass) is that coming back from the dead doesn't seem to be all that unique in 5e. Revivify is 3rd level spell, and Raise Dead is 5th level. None of them grant zombification or magical retcon powers that this subclass seem to grant.

So, it looks like a good idea, but not for DnD strangely enough. Or for some specific DnD setting where resurrection is generally not a thing outside some forbidden magic and ancient artifacts.

4. - Top - End - #124

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Kuu Lightwing View Post
    My problem with the rogue (aside for why is this a subclass) is that coming back from the dead doesn't seem to be all that unique in 5e. Revivify is 3rd level spell, and Raise Dead is 5th level. None of them grant zombification or magical retcon powers that this subclass seem to grant.

So, it looks like a good idea, but not for DnD strangely enough. Or for some specific DnD setting where resurrection is generally not a thing outside some forbidden magic and ancient artifacts.
    I would assume the part that's special is that you spontaneously came back, and you have no memory of what happened before that. A perfectly viable theme would be some sort of reincarnation (not the spell).
    The stars are calling, but let's come up with a good opening line before we answer

5. - Top - End - #125
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AdAstra View Post
    I would assume the part that's special is that you spontaneously came back, and you have no memory of what happened before that. A perfectly viable theme would be some sort of reincarnation (not the spell).
    I mean I guess that makes some sense, but still I don't feel it like a rogue subclass. They even call out "perhaps you signed a deal with a fiend" - gee, where I heard that before :P

This fluff is basically Revenant, which is a "race" or rather template or something, is it not?

6. - Top - End - #126
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I agree, I think it is more in line with Cloud Atlas how those characters are mirrored over time, and a Revived Rogue is aware to some extent of this temporal repetition. It is not just that they have been revivified a bunch of times. Other examples could be that Link in the zelda games has lived before to some extent, Tidus in FFX would be another functional example, the player character in Pillars of Eternity, hawkman and hawkgirl in DC, or for example Agrojag in the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Finback View Post
    and all it does is remind I wish I had the time or better skill at designing my idea for a prestige class, the Arachnomancer - a druid build for drow.
    You can check out the 3.5 Verminlord PrC for ideas, if you start up a thread in homebrew i’d be happy to help hash out a druid subclass for this.
    Assuming one doesnt already exist of course.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

8. - Top - End - #128
    Banned

I would definitely don't touch Rune Knight. It's good as it is and it's the first subclass that is really on pair with Battle Master and more intuitive and resource-friendly (while not as effect-strong) and straight foward than EK.

It's one of those few UAs subclasses that imo really comes out nicely balanced. A lot of fun, a lot of utility to play with and still requires some off-stat investment (INT in this case).

9. - Top - End - #129

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Benny89 View Post
    I would definitely don't touch Rune Knight. It's good as it is and it's the first subclass that is really on pair with Battle Master and more intuitive and resource-friendly (while not as effect-strong) and straight foward than EK.

It's one of those few UAs subclasses that imo really comes out nicely balanced. A lot of fun, a lot of utility to play with and still requires some off-stat investment (INT in this case).
    Really? I would consider the Rune Knight's effects to be significantly stronger than an EK's spells. Even Shield doesn't compete with physical damage resistance for 1 minute. Giant Might is basically a slightly more powerful, more limited version of Enlarge/Reduce, which takes concentration and is a 2nd level spell, which EK can't get until level 8 (since it's transmutation), and it has the same number of uses as an EK has spell slots at lvl 3. I would consider either of the Rune Knight's limited-use powers stronger than an EK's, at least until 7 when they get a decent number of spell slots. That doesn't even count the utility you get from the rune weapons. If your DM allows you to really abuse Find Familiar then maybe EK could compete, but otherwise it's no contest. I would also say it's mostly going to be better than battlemaster depending on build.
    Last edited by AdAstra; 2019-10-18 at 04:38 AM.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Love the Rune Knight and Swarmkeeper. Dislike the Rogue.

I don’t think the Rune Knight should be a Barbarian. I think it should stay as a Fighter.
    It harkens back to a time when the giants were a dominant civilization, rather than the divided, “barbaric” remnants they are now.

In my games, I will be streamlining some of the features to better fit my version of giants.
    I’ll also be removing the Haug Rune’s resist bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing benefit. That steps on the barbarian’s toes too much.

Xanathar’s Guide Favorites

- Storm Herald Barbarian (shame they nerfed it from UA)
    - Whisper Bard
    - Forge Cleric
    - Grave Cleric
    - Conquest Paladin
    - Sun Soul Monk
    - Divine Soul Sorcerer
    - Hexblade Warlock

This round of UA

- Aberrant Sorcerer
    - Wildfire Druid
    - Rune Knight Fighter
    - Swarmkeeper Ranger

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

Loving the idea of a Rune Knight / Bladesinger.

Absolutely loving it.

Love it far more than EK / Bladesinger.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Banned

Really? I would consider the Rune Knight's effects to be significantly stronger than an EK's spells. Even Shield doesn't compete with physical damage resistance for 1 minute. Giant Might is basically a slightly more powerful, more limited version of Enlarge/Reduce, which takes concentration and is a 2nd level spell, which EK can't get until level 8 (since it's transmutation), and it has the same number of uses as an EK has spell slots at lvl 3. I would consider either of the Rune Knight's limited-use powers stronger than an EK's, at least until 7 when they get a decent number of spell slots. That doesn't even count the utility you get from the rune weapons. If your DM allows you to really abuse Find Familiar then maybe EK could compete, but otherwise it's no contest. I would also say it's mostly going to be better than battlemaster depending on build.
    Well build EK with Shadow Blade and Blur/Mirrors Image decimates enemies. Plus you multiclass to Wizard after first or second extra attack to great benefit of getting more slots etc. Plus they get Haste.

Rune Knight is without any slots so he doesn't multiclass well with casters and his Runes are more utility but not as strong effect wise like for example Shadow Blade or Mage Armor in hands of EK.

EK is more resource hungry but more effective in encounter when he needs to and Rune Knight is less resource heavy and more of all-around-adventure-day good.

If I were compare those two - it's Paladin vs Hexblade. Paladin can deal more massive damage in single combat and have more game-changing spells like Auras while Hexblade is more great in every encounter without huge spikes like Paladin.

So Rune Knight imo fits perfectly between mundane Battlemaster and arcane EK.

Imo Rune Knight is fine as it is and I really would love to play one.

13. - Top - End - #133

GnomeWizardGuy

Last 2 sentences of Bolts from the Grave say, “ A creature hit by this attack takes necrotic damage equal to your Sneak Attack. This uses your Sneak Attack for the turn.”

Does this mean the SA is used up when you make the attack or only on a hit? I believe the last sentence is referring to the attack in general, not necessarily just a hit (the prior sentence). Thoughts?
    Emongnome

14. - Top - End - #134
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Elminster's password is in fact several passwords, which vary with the phases of the moon.

No, not our moon, another stars, which he never named, and only knew by it's position. So one must scry upon that star's moon and inquire of the dead the password during that cycle.

Gathering information from the dead without this foreknowledge results in a garbled amalgamation of all his passwords.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by VonKaiserstein View Post
    Elminster's password is in fact several passwords, which vary with the phases of the moon.

No, not our moon, another stars, which he never named, and only knew by it's position. So one must scry upon that star's moon and inquire of the dead the password during that cycle.

Gathering information from the dead without this foreknowledge results in a garbled amalgamation of all his passwords.
    You can't get the password from this ability unless it's yes, no or unknown. Basically you get a nod, a head shake or a shrug.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

16. - Top - End - #136
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emongnome777 View Post
    Last 2 sentences of Bolts from the Grave say, “ A creature hit by this attack takes necrotic damage equal to your Sneak Attack. This uses your Sneak Attack for the turn.”

Does this mean the SA is used up when you make the attack or only on a hit? I believe the last sentence is referring to the attack in general, not necessarily just a hit (the prior sentence). Thoughts?
    Good question. I can see it both ways but I would lean towards that it misses you still have your sneak attack available if you would have used cunning action before your action.
    it has a limitation that you can only use it if you haven't used it yet but nothing in the text suggests that it all or nothing.

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing like a scaling version. You can dedicate some of your sneak attack dice to it so you can spread out the damage or against harder to hit targets have a better chance of getting some of the damage to it.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

17. - Top - End - #137
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

I feel like people are really underselling the Rune Knight's power. The Hill and Storm runes are both really strong abilities. You get a slightly weaker Rage with fewer caveats, and among other things, the ability to Heighten people's spells as a reaction for a minute. Two quite strong (and incredibly versatile in the latter's case) abilities per short rest, plus Giant Might (kinda like the offensive component of Rage plus Large size) twice per long rest. Then you get poison resistance and one of the benefits of Alert, as well as lesser items like advantage on Arcana and some minor proficiencies. At level 3. I think that surpasses any of the current Fighter subclasses by a fairly large margin. And it's not like it tapers off either. At 7 you get an at-will reaction boost to AC based on intelligence (though interestingly it does not have text like Shield to indicate you would be able to know the roll first), which I would put as equal to or better than the Light Cleric's Improved Flare. The 10th level ability is not much, since it's mostly a small improvement to Giant Might and a 4th rune, but 15 and 18 both pretty much double the effectiveness of each of your core abilities.
    Agreed, the subclass is bloated. There's two different concepts competing for space: rune fighter and giant fighter (and this one I think would work better as a barbarian). Their damage scales better than the battle master's by a substantial amount while getting actual features on top at later levels, unlike battle master who only progresses is martial die.

18. - Top - End - #138

BarbarianGuy

One thing the Rune Knight has done is re-inspire my attempt at a Rune subsystem for Homebrew classes, including a standalone Death Knight class, inspired by WoW and the Lich King
    I Am A: Neutral Good Half-Orc Fighter/Barbarian (2nd/1st Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength-16
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-17
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-13

19. - Top - End - #139

PirateGuy

I'm tempted to multiclass the Rune Knight with Battlesmith Artificer. Stock up on my Intelligence & Con.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground

After sleeping on it, I've figured out what else I want from the Swarmkeeper - I wish that there were some defensive benefits to having a swarm around you. Maybe an AC bump or something to represent arrows getting blocked and the like.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

21. - Top - End - #141
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Sigreid View Post
    You can't get the password from this ability unless it's yes, no or unknown. Basically you get a nod, a head shake or a shrug.
    "Does the password have a Q?"

Nod.

"Is the first letter a Q?

Shake

Is the second letter Q?

Nod

And so forth. With (near infinite) questions, you can play the ultimate game of Wheel of Fortune, guessing letters and positions.

But if the password involves non-letter parts, it's gonna get really abstract.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Protolisk View Post
    "Does the password have a Q?"

Nod.

"Is the first letter a Q?

Shake

Is the second letter Q?

Nod

And so forth. With (near infinite) questions, you can play the ultimate game of Wheel of Fortune, guessing letters and positions.

But if the password involves non-letter parts, it's gonna get really abstract.
    True enough, assuming you can hit all of the obscure languages and characters that someone like Elminster likely knows. Not all of which are necessarily from this world.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

True enough, assuming you can hit all of the obscure languages and characters that someone like Elminster likely knows. Not all of which are necessarily from this world.
    Oh, everyone needs to stop with this nonsense.

Everyone knows Elminster's password is RaistlinSucks1

24. - Top - End - #144
    Firbolg in the Playground

It's actually a obscure interpretive dance ritual.

* Rubs head and Pats belly.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

25. - Top - End - #145

DruidGuy

The Swarmkeeper will let you build a very credible representation of the protagonist from the web serial Worm. Which is fantastic.

The Rune Knight is interesting. The Stone rune would be handy for an Rune Knight/Inquisitive build. And of course the Storm Rune is amazing. It's like all of a sudden you're a Lore Bard with 30 Cha and more versatility. Or like you get the 9th level spell Foresight for a minute at the cost of your reaction. And you can share the effect, too.

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    After sleeping on it, I've figured out what else I want from the Swarmkeeper - I wish that there were some defensive benefits to having a swarm around you. Maybe an AC bump or something to represent arrows getting blocked and the like.
    Yes! Mage armor equivalent, or first attack against you (...by a new enemy? ...per combat? ...per round?) has disadvantage
    Last edited by Crgaston; 2019-10-18 at 10:39 AM.

26. - Top - End - #146

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    Oh, everyone needs to stop with this nonsense.

Everyone knows Elminster's password is RaistlinSucks1
    But a Fistandantilus is worth two in the bush

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Degwerks View Post
    But a Fistandantilus is worth two in the bush
    Actually, lets be real...

His password is absolutely GreenwoodRules

That's precisely what his password is, and you're wrong if you think otherwise.

28. - Top - End - #148

Quote Originally Posted by Degwerks View Post
    I'm tempted to multiclass the Rune Knight with Battlesmith Artificer. Stock up on my Intelligence & Con.
    That was my thinking as well. Rune Knight 3/Battlesmith X though it delays ASIs and extra attack for a painfully long time. Perhaps using a High elf /w Toll the Dead(+Ular Rune) or Booming Blade would ease the pain. Probably lean more towards the save cantrip as booming blade becomes less desirable as soon as you get extra attack.

Giant Might + Arcane Weapon + Repeating Heavy Crossbow+Sharpshooter+Ular Rune is pretty solid:
    2 attacks per round with 1d10+1d6+1d6(acid)+1(Magic)+10(SS)+3(Int) damage = 26.5 Avg
    Use your reaction to gain advantage on the first attack.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wildarm View Post
    That was my thinking as well. Rune Knight 3/Battlesmith X though it delays ASIs and extra attack for a painfully long time. Perhaps using a High elf /w Toll the Dead(+Ular Rune) or Booming Blade would ease the pain. Probably lean more towards the save cantrip as booming blade becomes less desirable as soon as you get extra attack.

Giant Might + Arcane Weapon + Repeating Heavy Crossbow+Sharpshooter+Ular Rune is pretty solid:
    2 attacks per round with 1d10+1d6+1d6(acid)+1(Magic)+10(SS)+3(Int) damage = 26.5 Avg
    Use your reaction to gain advantage on the first attack.
    Go Warforged for the race, because their Heavy Armor has no strength requirement.

30. - Top - End - #150

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    Go Warforged for the race, because their Heavy Armor has no strength requirement.
    Actually, could you even apply a third rune to a Warforged? They don't wear armor - their armor is integrated, which means there's nothing to apply the rune on.