The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 181 to 210 of 274
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground
     
    jaappleton's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016

    Default Re: New Unearthed Arcana: Fighter, Ranger, Rogue (October 17th)

    Quote Originally Posted by Protolisk View Post
    Is... is this strong to you, or weak?
    Seems slightly weak to me, because its reliant on Charm. Which... I really don't like.

    Now, if it PARALYZED...

  2. - Top - End - #182
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    GreenSorcererElf

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New Unearthed Arcana: Fighter, Ranger, Rogue (October 17th)

    I donít understand the people complaining that the subclasses donít belong to their particular class. Does revenant scream rogue to me? No, not particularly, but I think itís cool that theyíre making a subclass with that theme. Sure, Swarmkeeper seems more obvious as a Druid subclass, but the fact that they went with Ranger seems more interesting to me. So far theyíve tried to fill a lot of classic fantasy archetypes with their subclasses up to this point. Now theyíre experimenting, the subclasses are a little weirder, a little more niche and thatís what I love about them.

  3. - Top - End - #183
    Troll in the Playground
     
    jaappleton's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016

    Default Re: New Unearthed Arcana: Fighter, Ranger, Rogue (October 17th)

    Quote Originally Posted by Lockwolfe View Post
    I donít understand the people complaining that the subclasses donít belong to their particular class. Does revenant scream rogue to me? No, not particularly, but I think itís cool that theyíre making a subclass with that theme. Sure, Swarmkeeper seems more obvious as a Druid subclass, but the fact that they went with Ranger seems more interesting to me. So far theyíve tried to fill a lot of classic fantasy archetypes with their subclasses up to this point. Now theyíre experimenting, the subclasses are a little weirder, a little more niche and thatís what I love about them.
    To add to this:

    There have been many instances in which an archetype started off as being created for one class, and they moved it to another class.

    Tranquility Monk became Redemption Paladin
    Monster Hunter Fighter became Monster Slayer Ranger
    Scout Fighter became Scout Rogue

    I know there's one more that I know about but I can't think of it right now. Oh that's going to aggravate me all day, if I can't think of that last one. But those are just the ones I'm aware of, with no mention of anything behind the scenes that changed which hasn't been revealed outside the design team.

    ANYWAYS, experimentation is part of the process, that's what I'm saying.

  4. - Top - End - #184
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Aug 2019

    Default Re: New Unearthed Arcana: Fighter, Ranger, Rogue (October 17th)

    My video game knowledge is a bit off, but isn't the rouge kinda like the Nameless one? As in, whenever he dies, he steals another's soul and randomizes his personality? That... kind of sounds like a rogue thing. Soul stealing.

    Just wonder if that was actually what it was based around.

  5. - Top - End - #185
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ElfWarriorGuy

    Join Date
    May 2015

    Default Re: New Unearthed Arcana: Fighter, Ranger, Rogue (October 17th)

    Quote Originally Posted by Protolisk View Post
    My video game knowledge is a bit off, but isn't the rouge kinda like the Nameless one? As in, whenever he dies, he steals another's soul and randomizes his personality? That... kind of sounds like a rogue thing. Soul stealing.

    Just wonder if that was actually what it was based around.
    Revenant is definitely TNO, remembering skills of past lives, changing personality sometimes, speaking with the dead... I was surprised capstone didn't involve some kind of revivification.

    PS:T spoilers
    Spoiler
    Show
    TNO doesn't steal souls when he "dies", what happens is that when he would die death is redirected towards the closest living being IIRC
    Last edited by Rukelnikov; 2019-10-18 at 04:08 PM.

  6. - Top - End - #186
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Aug 2016

    Default Re: New Unearthed Arcana: Fighter, Ranger, Rogue (October 17th)

    Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    There have been many instances in which an archetype started off as being created for one class, and they moved it to another class.

    Tranquility Monk became Redemption Paladin
    Monster Hunter Fighter became Monster Slayer Ranger
    Scout Fighter became Scout Rogue
    Which is a shame, since I loved all these three subclasses

  7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground
     
    jaappleton's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016

    Default Re: New Unearthed Arcana: Fighter, Ranger, Rogue (October 17th)

    Quote Originally Posted by Daphne View Post
    Which is a shame, since I loved all these three subclasses
    I also loved them. Really want to do a Monser Hunter Fighter for Avernus. That lv7 feature

  8. - Top - End - #188
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2016

    Default Re: New Unearthed Arcana: Fighter, Ranger, Rogue (October 17th)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rukelnikov View Post
    You really think Rune Knight is power creep? I would definitely accept power dip, but in the long run, like in tier 3, I don't see it being above an EK tbh
    Mostly the large size thing. The rest seems just fine overall.

    Edit: though looking more directly at just level three... Ya power creep there. Maybe I'm just still raw after twilight cleric tho...
    Last edited by Scarytincan; 2019-10-18 at 04:42 PM.

  9. - Top - End - #189
    Troll in the Playground
     
    jaappleton's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016

    Default Re: New Unearthed Arcana: Fighter, Ranger, Rogue (October 17th)

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarytincan View Post
    Mostly the large size thing. The rest seems just fine overall.

    Edit: though looking more directly at just level three... Ya power creep there. Maybe I'm just still raw after twilight cleric tho...
    Someone, anyone, please tell me the benefits of being Large and how itís terrible.

    Because the Enlarge spell already can make you Large, and nobody complains about that spell being OP or anything.

  10. - Top - End - #190
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New Unearthed Arcana: Fighter, Ranger, Rogue (October 17th)

    Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    Someone, anyone, please tell me the benefits of being Large and how itís terrible.

    Because the Enlarge spell already can make you Large, and nobody complains about that spell being OP or anything.
    I guess it being a bonus action and giving 1d6 rather than 1d4 at level 3 (and then 1d8 at 10) is what's putting people off, but the damage isn't totally insane and it's something you do twice per long rest for your entire adventuring career past level 3. I don't see an enormous issue with it myself, but I can see why it's off putting to some at least.

    I'm more interested in the "if you lack the room to become large, your size doesn't change" because there are times where being large is inconvenient and the feature has a built in way to not suffer that inconvenience and still gain the benefits that are presumably tied to being large.

  11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Luccan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    The Old West
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New Unearthed Arcana: Fighter, Ranger, Rogue (October 17th)

    Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    Someone, anyone, please tell me the benefits of being Large and how itís terrible.

    Because the Enlarge spell already can make you Large, and nobody complains about that spell being OP or anything.
    My guess, since I don't think it's that bad, is that it's arguably better than Rage. Additionally, like Rage, it doesn't depend on spending any other resource to use it. Enlarge requires you spending a spell slot to cast. Even if you would benefit from using the spell on yourself (and many character who have the spell would not), you have to weigh that against your spells per day and what other spells you might want to cast. It renders it into an occasional party buff. Again, just my guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

    I for one support the Gnoman Empire.
    Avatar by linklele

    Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

    E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing


  12. - Top - End - #192
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Aug 2016

    Default Re: New Unearthed Arcana: Fighter, Ranger, Rogue (October 17th)

    Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    Someone, anyone, please tell me the benefits of being Large and how itís terrible.

    Because the Enlarge spell already can make you Large, and nobody complains about that spell being OP or anything.
    It's not OP, it's that the subclass is too packed with features. Heck, if they printed a "Giant Warrior" subclass with Giant Might x3 or x4 times a day as it's only feature at 3rd level it would be a good subclass, not the best but still good.
    Last edited by Daphne; 2019-10-18 at 05:41 PM.

  13. - Top - End - #193
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    May 2019

    Default Re: New Unearthed Arcana: Fighter, Ranger, Rogue (October 17th)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rukelnikov View Post
    Lemme see...
    Scrubbed
    So no, the RK is not OP in any way shape or form from tier 3 onwards. Its very front loaded? Yes we all say that.
    Where are you getting advantage on all attacks for the Eldritch Knight from? Shadow Blade? aside from being situational, that disallows PAM and GWM (ah, greater invisibility). Also I would check different combinations of runes, considering how Giant Might could very well offer more damage than the Ise. Also no accounting the Fire Rune, which has no action cost, and deals damage, and gives you advantage, and gives the enemy disadvantage.

    EDIT: Also, why does the EK Action Surge first turn but the RK doesn't? There seem to be a lot of these little things that seriously skew the data. Also since the RK can't use their bonus action for PAM the first few rounds, the obvious choice is to use a Greatsword for the first two rounds, if not longer. The RK is already super BA-heavy, PAM loses a lot of its luster
    Last edited by AdAstra; 2019-10-18 at 07:21 PM.
    The stars are calling, but let's come up with a good opening line before we answer

    And here's a rat for the road ~(,,_`;;'>

  14. - Top - End - #194
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    May 2019

    Default Re: New Unearthed Arcana: Fighter, Ranger, Rogue (October 17th)

    Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    Someone, anyone, please tell me the benefits of being Large and how itís terrible.

    Because the Enlarge spell already can make you Large, and nobody complains about that spell being OP or anything.
    Giant Might is better than Enlarge as a buff, and has no concentration, can be "cast" as a bonus action (and since it's not a spell I guess in theory it would work with spells, but in practice that's probably not going to matter). It's also available to fighters at the same level as Enlarge/Reduce is for full-casters. It's also one of two separate powerful class features. It's not OP, but it's objectively stronger than a 2nd level spell in every respect.
    Last edited by AdAstra; 2019-10-18 at 07:07 PM.
    The stars are calling, but let's come up with a good opening line before we answer

    And here's a rat for the road ~(,,_`;;'>

  15. - Top - End - #195
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ElfWarriorGuy

    Join Date
    May 2015

    Default Re: New Unearthed Arcana: Fighter, Ranger, Rogue (October 17th)

    Quote Originally Posted by AdAstra View Post
    Where are you getting advantage on all attacks for the Eldritch Knight from? Shadow Blade? aside from being situational, that disallows PAM and GWM (ah, greater invisibility). Also I would check different combinations of runes, considering how Giant Might could very well offer more damage than the Ise. Also no accounting the Fire Rune, which has no action cost, and deals damage, and gives you advantage, and gives the enemy disadvantage.

    EDIT: Also, why does the EK Action Surge first turn but the RK doesn't? There seem to be a lot of these little things that seriously skew the data. Also since the RK can't use their bonus action for PAM the first few rounds, the obvious choice is to use a Greatsword for the first two rounds, if not longer. The RK is already super BA-heavy, PAM loses a lot of its luster
    Because it doesnt have Giants Might active in first round, so I used both when Rune and might were active. And these builds are not optimized, the EK likely does better with a Flametonge GS and a Str 25 than with PAM and a +3 Weapon (didnt check the nymbers though its just a supposition)

  16. - Top - End - #196
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    May 2019

    Default Re: New Unearthed Arcana: Fighter, Ranger, Rogue (October 17th)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rukelnikov View Post
    Because it doesnt have Giants Might active in first round, so I used both when Rune and might were active. And these builds are not optimized, the EK likely does better with a Flametonge GS and a Str 25 than with PAM and a +3 Weapon (didnt check the nymbers though its just a supposition)
    Whiteroom number-crunching has much the same problems as just evaluating and comparing features. You miss out on how the classes interact with other characters (i.e. it's far easier to get advantage on attack rolls than 1d8 to damage, and since advantage doesn't stack 1d8 can often be a better class feature). You miss out on all the different equipment variations and their unique effects on each build, but using different equipment introduces more variables. Same goes with feats and other choices. I think the better avenue is directly comparing the features, then the synergy between features (from both the class and subclass), then synergy with things "outside" your character, like magic items and other PCs giving buffs.
    The stars are calling, but let's come up with a good opening line before we answer

    And here's a rat for the road ~(,,_`;;'>

  17. - Top - End - #197
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ElfWarriorGuy

    Join Date
    May 2015

    Default Re: New Unearthed Arcana: Fighter, Ranger, Rogue (October 17th)

    Quote Originally Posted by AdAstra View Post
    Whiteroom number-crunching has much the same problems as just evaluating and comparing features. You miss out on how the classes interact with other characters (i.e. it's far easier to get advantage on attack rolls than 1d8 to damage, and since advantage doesn't stack 1d8 can often be a better class feature). You miss out on all the different equipment variations and their unique effects on each build, but using different equipment introduces more variables. Same goes with feats and other choices. I think the better avenue is directly comparing the features, then the synergy between features (from both the class and subclass), then synergy with things "outside" your character, like magic items and other PCs giving buffs.
    We could argue about this for pages, since there are thousands of possible party compositions and loadouts, however, I don't think that's necessary, if we are discussing a couple points of DPR, then they are in the same tier.

  18. - Top - End - #198
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New Unearthed Arcana: Fighter, Ranger, Rogue (October 17th)

    Personally, I like the flavor of all of the new subclasses, though their concepts were poorly implemented. The Rogue should have been a background, the Rune Knight could be worded better, and somebody needs to take a look through that ranger subclass again.

  19. - Top - End - #199
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    May 2019

    Default Re: New Unearthed Arcana: Fighter, Ranger, Rogue (October 17th)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rukelnikov View Post
    We could argue about this for pages, since there are thousands of possible party compositions and loadouts, however, I don't think that's necessary, if we are discussing a couple points of DPR, then they are in the same tier.
    You're the one who crunched the numbers. No one's arguing any of these are in a whole other tier. I definitely have not. It's just got features that are clearly overtuned when you compare them, like the Heroism Oath. As I've said before, we have an example in Battlemaster, which most people agree is both quite strong and very frontloaded. I think there's a good argument to be made that Rune Knight is stronger than that. I think that's something worth addressing.
    The stars are calling, but let's come up with a good opening line before we answer

    And here's a rat for the road ~(,,_`;;'>

  20. - Top - End - #200
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2014

    Default Re: New Unearthed Arcana: Fighter, Ranger, Rogue (October 17th)

    Quote Originally Posted by AdAstra View Post
    You're the one who crunched the numbers. No one's arguing any of these are in a whole other tier. I definitely have not. It's just got features that are clearly overtuned when you compare them, like the Heroism Oath. As I've said before, we have an example in Battlemaster, which most people agree is both quite strong and very frontloaded. I think there's a good argument to be made that Rune Knight is stronger than that. I think that's something worth addressing.
    He's still just a Fighter though. Not like he has a Wish rune, or Simulacrum cheese. He gets big, he hits things, and he has a few utility abilities to help out his party.

    You're complaining about Apache Chief getting to punch things when Darkseid is over here disintegrating entire planets and trapping people for eternity.
    I Am A: Neutral Good Half-Orc Fighter/Barbarian (2nd/1st Level)

    Ability Scores:
    Strength-16
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-17
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-13

  21. - Top - End - #201
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    May 2019

    Default Re: New Unearthed Arcana: Fighter, Ranger, Rogue (October 17th)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mongobear View Post
    He's still just a Fighter though. Not like he has a Wish rune, or Simulacrum cheese. He gets big, he hits things, and he has a few utility abilities to help out his party.

    You're complaining about Apache Chief getting to punch things when Darkseid is over here disintegrating entire planets and trapping people for eternity.
    Comparing them to a Wizard is meaningless, this is meant to be about how balanced a new subclass is against the existing subclasses. In that respect the Rune Knight seems to be one of the more powerful (if not the most) when comparing to existing Fighter subclasses.
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

    Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges

  22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: New Unearthed Arcana: Fighter, Ranger, Rogue (October 17th)

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark.Revenant View Post
    The following changes I would make to Rune Knight:

    • Giant Might damage boost is decreased to 1d4 instead of 1d6. It still increases to 1d8 with Great Stature. Rationale: DPR was too high, and this brings it in line with the 2nd-level spell it's replicating.
    • Haug's active effect is changed to be your choice of bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing damage. Rationale: Adds a restriction to an otherwise amazing ability, and adds tactical depth to both the player and the DM. The player must weigh the consequences of each damage type, and monster tactics might shift as a result.
    • Uvar's active effect can no longer affect hostile creatures' saving throws. Rationale: Lore Bard can't impose penalties to hostile creatures' saving throws either, despite being able to affect most other rolls. There's a reason for that.
    These seem like really good changes.

    Also, I'm surprised that only one person so far has pointed out that the Revived subclass is a blatant Planescape: Torment reference.

    2 sneak attacks per round with no resource expenditure at level 3 from the Revived subclass is kind of scary. What if they changed it so that you didn't need to fire off the blast immediately after using Cunning Action (so you could disengage+move away+attack) but made it cost your action to fire the blast, bringing it in line with the other "Sneak Attack when you normally couldn't" effects that many of the other Rogue subclasses get (Inquisitve, Swashbuckler, etc.)?

    Just slap a 2-3 times per long rest restriction on Audience with Death, and the ability should be fine and really, really flavorful. If failed death saves were only reset upon taking a short or long rest, I'd think that this ability would be perfect, but alas, the rules of the game were not written that way.

    When I look at the Swarmkeeper Ranger, all I can think of is: why aren't you playing an Agonizing Blast+Repelling Blast+Hex+Eldritch Blast spam Warlock instead? ... Actually, I guess the Archery fighting style and Sharpshooter might make the "mundane" route worth it, but it'd be close, since the Hex spell applies on every hit while the Gathered Swarm ability can only proc once per turn (and only on your turn). Writhing Tide is cool, and while Scuttling Eyes is badass, the ability to teleport to your "Arcane Eye" is not as good as it seems, since you can't bring your party along with you. Storm of Minions is cool, but it's a shame that targets save against it with CON and the numbers seem a bit low. I mean, 2d8 (save for half) in an AoE at level 15? Really? I know the main draw is the blindness (and the ability to move the sphere as an action), but c'mon, this is a capstone ability here. Also, only being able to move it 30 feet might be a bit of an issue against certain kinds of enemies, but hey, people still use Spiritual Weapon despite it only being able to move 20 feet per round, so that's probably not much of a problem.

    The Rune Knight subclass is just bonkers good, and it just STOMPS on the toes of the Battlemaster and the Barbarian. Funny side note: the Skye rune can redirect spells that use attack rolls; redirecting an enemy caster's Contagion spell to target one of their allies can be good fun (and it's a situation that doesn't occur very often, so I think that this interaction is fine). With the proposed changes mentioned in the above quote, though, I think that this subclass will be balanced enough for me to try out (you might wanna buff the Battlemaster a little bit to set the standard set by the Rune Knight, though), and it does look like it'll be quite fun to play (maybe it might be a good idea to let Rune Knights switch out their runes known on a long rest instead of when leveling up, to add even more variety to their combats? I dunno; that might not be a good idea).
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".

  23. - Top - End - #203
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    May 2019

    Default Re: New Unearthed Arcana: Fighter, Ranger, Rogue (October 17th)

    Quote Originally Posted by Dork_Forge View Post
    Comparing them to a Wizard is meaningless, this is meant to be about how balanced a new subclass is against the existing subclasses. In that respect the Rune Knight seems to be one of the more powerful (if not the most) when comparing to existing Fighter subclasses.
    Yeah I'm not sure what's people's issue is. The subclass is bonkers strong in early levels. Sure maybe it levels off, but that's still usually something that should be addressed in a balance pass. They gave us this material to playtest and critique. And there are improvements to be made, so what's people's issue?
    The stars are calling, but let's come up with a good opening line before we answer

    And here's a rat for the road ~(,,_`;;'>

  24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Segev's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location

    Default Re: New Unearthed Arcana: Fighter, Ranger, Rogue (October 17th)

    Quote Originally Posted by Lockwolfe View Post
    I donít understand the people complaining that the subclasses donít belong to their particular class. Does revenant scream rogue to me? No, not particularly, but I think itís cool that theyíre making a subclass with that theme. Sure, Swarmkeeper seems more obvious as a Druid subclass, but the fact that they went with Ranger seems more interesting to me. So far theyíve tried to fill a lot of classic fantasy archetypes with their subclasses up to this point. Now theyíre experimenting, the subclasses are a little weirder, a little more niche and thatís what I love about them.
    Part of experimenting is finding out what doesn't work. I didn't say I disliked the subclasses...I just said that I didn't think the Rogue one fit Rogue. The concept is interesting, but needs work to be a good subclass. Either alterations to it to make it fit roguish themes better, or being refitted to be in a different class (e.g. Bard).

  25. - Top - End - #205
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    May 2019

    Default Re: New Unearthed Arcana: Fighter, Ranger, Rogue (October 17th)

    Quote Originally Posted by AdAstra View Post
    Yeah I'm not sure what's people's issue is. The subclass is bonkers strong in early levels. Sure maybe it levels off, but that's still usually something that should be addressed in a balance pass. They gave us this material to playtest and critique. And there are improvements to be made, so what's people's issue?
    I'm not sure, I think for all the complaints of power creep, some people do want that kind of thing and some may not realise that they like it.

    Personally I find the Giant aspect crammed in and competing for theme with the runes, I'd rather the Giant stuff be a different subclass altogether.

    The comparison with Enlarge is also very telling, the ability is better than Enlarge in EVERY WAY. It doesn't have the inherent weaknesses of being a spell, it doesn't require concentration, it's a bonus and not only does it deal more damage but that damage later increases further (on a class where it would naturally though extra attack anyway).

    I love the idea of runes and the passive and active approach, but the options themselves seem a bit... much?

    I don't really want to restrain and burn people... how about a simple fire damage rider? How about the ice rune actually dealing with ice/cold more...

    If they adjusted the runes, added one more option and then realised an accompanying feat (alas Martial Adept) then I'd be ecstatic with this and be building the crap out of a Rune Knight.
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

    Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges

  26. - Top - End - #206
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    May 2019

    Default Re: New Unearthed Arcana: Fighter, Ranger, Rogue (October 17th)

    Quote Originally Posted by Dork_Forge View Post
    I'm not sure, I think for all the complaints of power creep, some people do want that kind of thing and some may not realise that they like it.

    Personally I find the Giant aspect crammed in and competing for theme with the runes, I'd rather the Giant stuff be a different subclass altogether.

    The comparison with Enlarge is also very telling, the ability is better than Enlarge in EVERY WAY. It doesn't have the inherent weaknesses of being a spell, it doesn't require concentration, it's a bonus and not only does it deal more damage but that damage later increases further (on a class where it would naturally though extra attack anyway).

    I love the idea of runes and the passive and active approach, but the options themselves seem a bit... much?

    I don't really want to restrain and burn people... how about a simple fire damage rider? How about the ice rune actually dealing with ice/cold more...

    If they adjusted the runes, added one more option and then realised an accompanying feat (alas Martial Adept) then I'd be ecstatic with this and be building the crap out of a Rune Knight.
    Maybe separate the runes into different categories (ie passive and active, maybe calling them blessing and power runes?), and let you add one of each to your weapons/armor/shield? Allows you to mix-and-match. Fold Giant Might into a rune power or two, expand the combat options. Of course, that makes it a tad more difficult to balance (can't compensate for poor passive abilities with strong active ones), so it may not be the best path. But yeah, it's the Rune Knight. Make it's class features revolve around the Runes, not becoming a mini-giant (though again, that would be a fine rune power).
    Last edited by AdAstra; 2019-10-19 at 01:27 AM.
    The stars are calling, but let's come up with a good opening line before we answer

    And here's a rat for the road ~(,,_`;;'>

  27. - Top - End - #207
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Maxilian's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Dominican Republic
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New Unearthed Arcana: Fighter, Ranger, Rogue (October 17th)

    I really like Rune Knight, but i think some of the rune options should have a minimum lvl requirement (like some of the Warlocks Invocations)
    Last edited by Maxilian; 2019-10-19 at 01:33 AM.

  28. - Top - End - #208
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Kane0's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Waterdeep
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New Unearthed Arcana: Fighter, Ranger, Rogue (October 17th)

    Perhaps have the runes have an active and passive effect, and if you use the active effect the passive is disabled until you rest.

  29. - Top - End - #209
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ElfWarriorGuy

    Join Date
    May 2015

    Default Re: New Unearthed Arcana: Fighter, Ranger, Rogue (October 17th)

    Quote Originally Posted by AdAstra View Post
    Yeah I'm not sure what's people's issue is. The subclass is bonkers strong in early levels. Sure maybe it levels off, but that's still usually something that should be addressed in a balance pass. They gave us this material to playtest and critique. And there are improvements to be made, so what's people's issue?
    No issue at all just don't see it stronger than the EK, I know its very powerful at 3, but tbh for me the only prob with that is if it becomes a dip class, like Hexblade, would that be the case? No full caster that dedicates 3 lvls to this will be better than just going caster, and most other martials have better dips/MCs to take, maybe monk for a lot of damage at early lvls, but the delay in progression will be a killer a couple lvls down the road, maybe Barb? Maybe... but that's just it.
    Last edited by Rukelnikov; 2019-10-19 at 02:54 AM.

  30. - Top - End - #210
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2014

    Default Re: New Unearthed Arcana: Fighter, Ranger, Rogue (October 17th)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rukelnikov View Post
    No issue at all just don't see it stronger than the EK, I know its very powerful at 3, but tbh for me the only prob with that is if it becomes a dip class, like Hexblade, would that be the case? No full caster that dedicates 3 lvls to this will be better than just going caster, and most other martials have better dips/MCs to take, maybe monk for a lot of damage at early lvls, but the delay in progression will be a killer a couple lvls down the road, maybe Barb? Maybe... but that's just it.
    Barbarian + Giants Might would be funny, 1d6+2 added to every attack minimum. Maybe 1d6+6 if you're like 17/3 that's almost enough to make PAM or TWFing actually comparable, or god forbid, Eberron Revenant Blade.
    I Am A: Neutral Good Half-Orc Fighter/Barbarian (2nd/1st Level)

    Ability Scores:
    Strength-16
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-17
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-13

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •