New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGirl

Default Re: Imagine a World of Psionics

Seriously, Ramza... go away if you're not going to pay attention to the theme of the thread...

Anyway, what's up with Craft "Wondrous" Item (the magic version of Craft Universal Item) being able to make these "pearls of power" (the magic version of cognizance crystals). They should obviously require their own feat, just like Craft Cognizance Crystal!
    The Library of Metzofitz: An up-to-date reference document for all of your Akashic, Path of War, and Psionic needs. In the works: Gonzo and Legendary material.

Pathfinder Caster Spreadsheet: For when you need to check if there's a spontaneous caster Witch or a Charisma-based Alchemist (the answer is yes). Includes manifesters, initiators, and veilweavers. Now with a colorblind version!

Akashic Character Sheet: Tracks invested Essence, plenty of space for veils and other Akashic hullabaloo.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Yes beware, the Psionics who manifest powers while suppressing their displays with a concentration check, leaving no evidence to others that you were affected with Psionic Magic.

Imagine a "Thor like Figure" meeting you for the first time, this burly Norse God is an outsider to you. And during this meeting he is actually a Aasimar Telepath who subtly cast Psionic Charm and Psionic Suggestion on you when he was also doing other things like being loud, hugging you without permission and violating your personal space, followed by offering you a drink of the fine Ale in this bar.

Suddenly you are swept away by this "Free Spirit" energy for even though Thor is loud he is also kind of fun, and suddenlyyou are doing things you would not normally do without this encouragement of this Aasimar NPC.

And nobody is the wiser. for the Telepath Aasimar suppressed their display. The DM just railroaded you and you did not realize it till its too late. (Or vice versa with you and the DM's NPCs.)
    Ramza00, er, I think you might be missed the joke which is the point of the thread a bit, my friend; which was to humorously complain about all the ways magic is broken when compared to psionics as a facetious mirror to the people that complained that psionics is overpowered compared to magic, viewed from the angle that psionics were core and magic came in, I dunno, the Expanded Magic Handbook or something.[/Explaining The Joke]
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2019-10-21 at 06:07 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Man, just when they *finally* got Create Astral Construct under control by only allowing a manifester to have one of them around at a time (ok two with a specific prestige class) out comes these "spellcasters" that can have multiple summoned critters, round after round! I thought they just forgot to add the errata to the supplement, but then notices that these spellcasters can even summon 1d4+1 lesser critters simultaneously in the same round! BROKEN!11!!!1111!!1
    Last edited by Particle_Man; 2019-10-25 at 12:05 AM.

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Particle_Man View Post
    Man, just when they *finally* got Create Astral Construct under control by only allowing a manifester to have one of them around at a time (ok two with a specific prestige class) out comes these "spellcasters" that can have multiple summoned critters, round after round! I thought they just forgot to add the errata to the supplement, but then notices that these spellcasters can even summon 1d4+1 lesser critters simultaneously in the same round! BROKEN!11!!!1111!!1
    Nah, that's fine. They don't have wilders that can make/summon/whatever singular really big ones, so creating lots of little ones is okay.

Granted, I'm not sure whose retarded idea it was that making huge ones is prevented by making players unable to make multiple smaller ones, but it's all good, since magic can do that, too.

Wait, I don't think that makes any sense at all. You might be right.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2019-10-25 at 09:25 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

So is this thread just "complaining about high-tier things, except even more so because core is now a splat"? Like ueah I guess half the broken BS in core would look even worse than it already does if your idea of "as powerful/versatile as it gets" was psion.

Honestly though what'd probably be worse is on the non-manifesting side of things. Can you imagine how much whining there'd be about Tome Of Battle if the standard for non-manifesters wasn't barbarian and rogue, but rather Soulknife?

EDIT:

"Heads up guys, one of the new classes looks like some LotR fanboy jerked off on the page - closest comparison is gonna be soulknife, except it's just better in basically every way. So, they give up 1 HP per level, and have a poor Fort save, but basically everything else is better: not only do they have basically every cool skill in the game on their class list, they also get more skill points than every other base class in the game...heck, every other class period. Oh and you know how you kinda have to poke around traps using your wits and your items to try and deal with them like a puzzle, or face the consequences, and even Disable Device ranks cross-class couldn't deal with the nastier ones? Yeah this class can just...disarm them with a check. Pretty quick, too, if you invest in that."

"And that's not even getting in on this frickin' backstab feature. So where Soulknife has to spend a move action to get a handful of d8s to a single attack? Well the Aint I A Stinker class doesn't require an action to activate it, it just requires tactical advantage to trigger...and it's really easy to set that up. So not only are you getting it on multiple attacks per round, and not only is the individual damage just flat-out better (1d6 when you have nothing, 2d6 when you have 1d8, 10d6 when you have 5d8), but the "type restriction" on it is basically identical. I guess Psychic Strike works on plants and elementals where Sneak Attack doesn't, but then Sneak Attack works on people who get MA immunity via a power or item. It's absolute 100% bull**** and WotC should be ashamed for publishing such nonsense. Now let's move on to the features they get after level 1, because yes there's more of course there's more!"

"Starting at level 2, they can be...just...totally fine when they get blasted by an AoE. If they make the save, they take no damage. And since there's always a chance to roll at nat 20, I guess a not-insignificant portion of every thieves guild could survive a nuclear blast. And they can upgrade it later if they wanna, where even a successful save only deals half damage, I guess cuz screw you right? Oh and also they're immune to being surprised or flanked, sort of. And past a certain point, if you as a DM wanna knock this ****er down a peg by throwing another Rogue at him, the DM rogue needs to be a lot higher level or that Sneak Attack isn't gonna work, because heaven forbid you be vulnerable to your own broken bull****."

"And the special abilities! Ignore improved evasion nonsense, let's talk about getting a free save against any mindscrewery. The base class doesn't even have a good Will save, what is this feature even doing here, they clearly don't need it, and taking it just rewards you twice as much for any investment you make fixing that low save. Another one lets them hand out Strength damage like candy, so even if for whatever reason you haven't drowned under the tide of d6s they're throwing at you every round, it's entirely possible that your monster or BBEG manifester is just gonna end up literally too weak to lift a finger. But none of that can compare to the worst option, where you can get a feat...yeah okay that doesn't sound bad, but because of how poorly-worded it is compared to every other bonus feat in the game, it appears to not require you to meet prereqs. And all of this in service of letting Bilbo Baggins be an actual badass rather than just a lucky normal hobbit. They're ruining the game with this wankery!"
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2019-10-25 at 12:39 AM.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

On the other hand, Soulknife and PsyWar being the "core" martials means folks are probably less upset by ToB's maneuver system, and more underwhelmed by the comparatively "boring" Fighter and Barbarian

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Dinosaur View Post
    On the other hand, Soulknife and PsyWar being the "core" martials means folks are probably less upset by ToB's maneuver system, and more underwhelmed by the comparatively "boring" Fighter and Barbarian
    As my edit kinda goes on in regards to, rogue would probably be the "OMG so broken" from the point of view of "soulknife sets the standard". Although I actually think the other non-casters, particularly Fighter and Monk, would end up a bit better off in this theoretical game: Fighter Bonus Feats outside of core tend to be more worth taking than the ones in Core (Weapon Focus line, Toughness, most everything needed for Whirlwind Attack), and so because "Weapon Specialization" isn't setting the standard for Fighter, non-core Fighter feats would be allowed to be decent, maybe even good. Monk would probably face a similar buff (if nothing else, it'd probably end up being a psychic warrior variant/twist, more akin to how beguiler and warmage were twists on the sorcerer - not necessarily better than its "parent class", but the end result would still be far ahead of where real-world monk ended up).
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2019-10-25 at 12:44 AM.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

My Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Ok, obviously magic is weird and the "change your powersspells every day" feature is ridiculous, but like... why even have a class like the sorcerer if magic is supposed to be this different thing? Was it to bridge the gap by offering spells but a limited number known? Just seems kind of pointless when psionics already works similarly and especially Wilder, which was already serving the "I have in-born powers that make me edgy and mysterious" hat.

I might allow wizards with a couple more school restrictions, since they at least have to do some work for their spells. Clerics and druids are right out, they take any tension out of an adventure (seriously, they make HP loss pointless and at higher levels can basically ignore ability damage/drain). I guess I'll let people play sorcerers, but again what's the point?

Rangers are totally a rip-off of one of the characters from Ring Lords or whatever those books were called. I wonder if Psions of the Coast can get sued for that?

Oh, and Bards are stupid. They're magic because they can play the lute really well? What idiot thought that was a good idea?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGirl

Hey now, don't diss the Bard! It definitely scratches an itch that needs scratching. The closest thing we have to a music-based character in psionics is the Virtuoso archetype for Highlord. I can't believe it took so long for someone to come up with the idea. It's just too bad it's in such a wonky subsystem... I think it needs a few tweaks to make sense of why your "inspiring music" only affects allies. Something like a... "thought-song" or similar, and just use the collective rules from Vitalist (or the worldthought network from Society Mind, for you 3.5 folks). Then give it mainly telepathy and psychokinesis powers (maybe limit to [sonic] descriptor for psychokinesis?) and a smattering of powers from other disciplines and I'd say you'd have a class worth playing.

I don't have too much of a problem with Clerics and Druids healing. Their healing powers spells (I'm never gonna get used to that, I swear) are a bit more powerful than most of the stuff you can get out of psychometabolism, that's true. (2d8+ML, max 10, for a 2nd level spell vs body adjustment's straight 1d12) But they have no range, and unlike Vitalists or Egoist Psions, no way to easily share their healing. No, it's the intense amount of buffing, debuffing, and summoning these guys have access to that bothers me. I haven't looked into too much of it, but this "polymorph" thing looks pretty intense. I can hear the min-maxers sharpening their pencils as we speak...

Going on to the Rogue, I hadn't even looked at the mundane classes. Like... Evasion is an (Ex) ability? In what world are you living, designers? You probably wouldn't like the version we got in PF, either. They removed a lot of the sneak attack immunities over here (now it's just mainly oozes, elementals, and incorporeal creatures). Then again, the Soulknife's psystrike got buffed a bit, so now only mindless creatures are immune. Knife to the Soul still sucks it against mind-affecting immune critters, though.
    The Library of Metzofitz: An up-to-date reference document for all of your Akashic, Path of War, and Psionic needs. In the works: Gonzo and Legendary material.

Pathfinder Caster Spreadsheet: For when you need to check if there's a spontaneous caster Witch or a Charisma-based Alchemist (the answer is yes). Includes manifesters, initiators, and veilweavers. Now with a colorblind version!

Akashic Character Sheet: Tracks invested Essence, plenty of space for veils and other Akashic hullabaloo.

10. - Top - End - #40

SamuraiGuy

Continuing the PF version, I can’t believe Fighter is a thing. It’s horrible compared to the Aegis, given that the Aegis gets more “feats”, which are often stronger, can pick up other tricks, and has some out of combat tools, along with a half-way decent skill list, and 4 per level.
    Game I am in:
    Giants and Graveyards Red Hand of Doom as Enn (3.5 Changeling Rogue//Dark template/Beguiler) using Grod's awesome Giants and Graveyards fixes
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    3.5 is the English Language of gaming.
    Folklore and the Evil Eye - A Guide to The Dreamscarred Press Malefex Class

11. - Top - End - #41
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JMS View Post
    Continuing the PF version, I can’t believe Fighter is a thing. It’s horrible compared to the Aegis, given that the Aegis gets more “feats”, which are often stronger, can pick up other tricks, and has some out of combat tools, along with a half-way decent skill list, and 4 per level.
    I think I read somewhere that the Fighter was originally going to be to the Alchemist what the Psywarrior is to the Psion: an item-focused character that turned its specialty towards magic weaponry and fighting. But somewhere along the line, they decided making dedicated magic item types just for one class, or restricting the best items to one class, was somehow overpowering that class, and went too far the other way. Which is why we have this overly-weak thing that seems to think that specializing in mundane items is great because they can use magic items, too, and forgot entirely to have those magic items do anything more for it than for others that have actual class features.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    I think I read somewhere that the Fighter was originally going to be to the Alchemist what the Psywarrior is to the Psion: an item-focused character that turned its specialty towards magic weaponry and fighting. But somewhere along the line, they decided making dedicated magic item types just for one class, or restricting the best items to one class, was somehow overpowering that class, and went too far the other way. Which is why we have this overly-weak thing that seems to think that specializing in mundane items is great because they can use magic items, too, and forgot entirely to have those magic items do anything more for it than for others that have actual class features.
    I find it a bit hard to believe that Fighter, or any other core class (except maybe Druid), was envisioned as anything but "3.5 version+." Their main goal with the CRB was just proving that it was possible to continue 3.5, and release something close enough to it so that all the ongoing 3.5 campaigns at the time (and there would have been many, many more than there are today) could transition to PF without starting from scratch.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

13. - Top - End - #43
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Moonhand View Post
    Hey now, don't diss the Bard! It definitely scratches an itch that needs scratching. The closest thing we have to a music-based character in psionics is the Virtuoso archetype for Highlord. I can't believe it took so long for someone to come up with the idea.
    This. As much as I think most of this new "magic" subsystem plain sucks and I'm utterly dumbfounded how so many people at WotC and Paizo could possibly miss these veritable piles of blatantly obvious broken options, I have to say I agree that the Bard class stands out as an actually really cool concept. Same goes for its angrier PF sibling the Skald which really rocks. Literally. Like, you can actually get to play this kind of mad axe-grinder (replace guitar with medieval string instrument of choice) and get your entire party almost as angry as you are! The concepts are simply awesome. Though I agree the implementations and many of the specific mechanics are wonky and feel needlessly complicated and contrived.

It's just too bad it's in such a wonky subsystem... I think it needs a few tweaks to make sense of why your "inspiring music" only affects allies. Something like a... "thought-song" or similar, and just use the collective rules from Vitalist (or the worldthought network from Society Mind, for you 3.5 folks). Then give it mainly telepathy and psychokinesis powers (maybe limit to [sonic] descriptor for psychokinesis?) and a smattering of powers from other disciplines and I'd say you'd have a class worth playing.
    Ha ha! Seriously, the first thing that struck me was why they didn't use the collective mechanics instead. They're proven to work, people are familiar with them, and they get around the whole "everybody hears the buffing rockstar"-issue with its sorta already built-in "Bluetooth-to-bunch-of-earplugs"-thing. Sure, it may not have quite as bombastic and flamboyant in-game potential as blasting out your newly composed "party fighting theme song" at max volume "wall-of-Marshal-stacks-arena-concert"-style, but it would be a whole lot reasonable IMO. It's like the Bard/Skald perform mechanics were designed by the new guy on the dev team who felt he had to reinvent the wheel just to prove he's not lazily recycling stuff written by his senior colleagues.

But when put into perspective, IMO those shortcomings are about as noticeable as a fart in a pigsty when put next to the unprecedented power creep leap and idiocies in the other "magic" options. Seriously, I really wanted to like this subsystem and I actually was excited about the first sneak previews, and I truly think I've given it more than fair shot, trying to not let all the angry rants and cries of "B-R-O-K-E-N" from the online echo-chamber color my opinion. But I can't help but agree with the complaints after having tried it out in several sessions at different levels in both 3.5 and PF. Some of the system's many flaws and plain stupid effects I encountered first hand as GM include:

3.5 game at levels 3-5 and 11-15
    Party includes a Sorcerer (seemingly intended to be the "spell caster" wilder equivalent) and a Wizard (yeah, the stupid "choose powers known each day"-class), both played by experienced and system-savvy players. The Sorcerer decides on a dragon-themed concept using lots of meta-magic (metapsionic stuff for "casters") tricks, starting with a power progression already bumped beyond the normal due to being some kind of slightly cheesy but fitting dragon-wrought venerable kobold, and opts to take enter the Incantationtrixer PrC ASAP and dips a few levels of the (oddly named) Initiate of the Seven-Layered Veils(?) PrC for more power versatility. Things quickly start going south, with the wrinkly old kobold crone soon blasting everything in sight into oblivion with boosted "ray spells", each manifesting eventually launching multiple rays, each piling on ludicrous amounts of fire or Int damage and ends with insane stuff like the wings of flurries spell which just plain annihilates every enemy in sight. All while she's being an invisible, Tiny flying hyper-vital (one of those dragon templates and more spells) super-Dex-y fantasy version of a micro jet fighter with impossibly high initiative and AC, on top of being practically invulnerable to any kind of attack due an absolutely insanely stupid low level spell called wings of cover.

Meanwhile, the Wizard who has decided to go for some kind of "power by proxy"-concept using the many OP spells which can be used to buff and summon allies and generally just pull stupid stuff - like gigantic (permanent!) iron walls - out of your hat, typically by doing a bit of break-dance, mumbling gibberish and tossing around some bat poo or similarly weirdly specific things (conjuration school, IIRC). He wrecks encounters from early on with bonkers low level AoE powers like sleep (entire room of goblins are out before they even get to act), and then continues by granting increasingly broken buffs to the entire party (hasty, overland flight and mass invisibility being some of the more memorable ones), ending the game at 15th level with his standard go-to pre-combat buff combo including turning the party's two melee frontliners into frikkin' War Trolls! Wizards can apparently use the mentioned horribly broken polymorphosis spell on any willing target... By this time, we've all had enough and decide to start over in PF instead.

PF game at levels 5-7 and 13-14
    Party includes two Summoners, one of the Master Summoner archetype and one of the very different Synthesist archetype, their players being the two guys who got seriously bored feeling redundant as melee frontliners in the 3.5 game and have apparently heard online rumors the new Summoner class kicks major butt. And it sure does, but mostly in a very bad broken way. Just read up on the Master Summoner and note their summon monster SLA. Now imagine one with good buff powers (such as the mentioned hasty), summoning feats (like Augment Summoning and Evolved Summon Monster) and multiple rods of giant summoning (of course crafted by the summoner). Yeah, he soon entered every fight with multiple hyper-buffed super-strong super-sized pouncing summoned monsters, while his eidolon was a pretty fantastic skill monkey with several iterations of the Skilled evolution. Seriously, I swear this guy could have soloed published APs from no later than 6th level, and would've done so laughably easily without breaking a sweat by 13th level.

The other Summoner, the Synthesist, was a quite different form of broken, becoming an insane melee powerhouse by "wearing" the class' OP pet called an eidolon as a living power armor. So Huge base size (up to Colossal with his dorje of metamorphosis), extremely high ability scores across the board (can dump physical stats) including an insanely high Str (+16 bonus(!) just from the size increase evolution), fantastic reach, permanent high speed flight, awesome defenses, grab and even swallow whole monster abilities. Even the most and perfectly pimped up psy-war melee monster build would feel tiny and redundant in the same party as this guy. But at least he didn't have the same broken action economy as the Master Summoner and was a bit limited by not having any bonus feats to further boost his combat prowess with. I'm scared just thinking about what this archetype likely allows for with some creative multiclassing and a bit more optimization though. The sheer numbers power is out of this world. On a more positive note, the Wizard player in the 3.5 game tried out the surprisingly sensible and fun Bloodrager (sorta psy-war-ish melee brute with full bab and only 4th level powers), while the 3.5 Sorcerer player rocked the enemies' socks off as a Skald.

Going on to the Rogue, I hadn't even looked at the mundane classes. Like... Evasion is an (Ex) ability? In what world are you living, designers? You probably wouldn't like the version we got in PF, either. They removed a lot of the sneak attack immunities over here (now it's just mainly oozes, elementals, and incorporeal creatures). Then again, the Soulknife's psystrike got buffed a bit, so now only mindless creatures are immune. Knife to the Soul still sucks it against mind-affecting immune critters, though.
    I've decided to allow the Bard, Skald and Bloodrager in my games, but the sick brokenness of especially the "magic" classes has made me lose my curiosity and much hope for this new batch of options. And it seems this Rouge class is just yet another new option on the same OP theme.

My only conclusion is that both the WotC and Paizo devs have simply lost it or that they've decided this is supposed to be the game's new power level for some weird reason. To me it just stinks of cheap short-term money grabbing, sacrificing game balance, working quality designs and good name to cheat a few unknowing players off of a few quick bucks before the next edition is released.
    Last edited by upho; 2019-10-25 at 01:01 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I find it a bit hard to believe that Fighter, or any other core class (except maybe Druid), was envisioned as anything but "3.5 version+." Their main goal with the CRB was just proving that it was possible to continue 3.5, and release something close enough to it so that all the ongoing 3.5 campaigns at the time (and there would have been many, many more than there are today) could transition to PF without starting from scratch.
    *cough*
    Spoiler: explaining the joke
    Show
    I was riffing off the theme of the thread. I agree with you, Psyren, for PF as written. In fact, I think PF's later options for the fighter go a long way to at least making it have some interesting choices, even if it doesn't actually help it keep up with other classes.

But my riff here was on the theme of "Psionics came first; magic is the supplement." Perhaps stretching that to include non-magic classes like Fighter as implied to be released similarly-timed was ill-conceived or at least poorly explained. But the joke was to evaluate the "new" class of Fighter and why its final released version sucked compared to the "comparable" class of Psychic Warrior. I was also borrowing from AD&D design, where the fighter was stand-out due to legitimately having exclusive ability to use certain high-powered magic weapons (mostly intelligent swords) which let a figther PC more than keep up with most magic-users.

The joke here was that this is my in-character hypothesis for what the Fighter was supposed to be, using the Alchemist as the parallel class the way Psywarrior is a Psion-gish, but that redesign of other things to make formerly-exclusive Fighter perks (like AD&D's exclusive access to the best magic items) now universally available and a denaturing of Fighter features without reworking them to make up for the losses led to the weak, nonmagical, nonpsionic thing that this imaginary world got along with the release of a magic subsystem.

I mean, Psyren, come on, Fighter isn't even a magic class. It doesn't use magic OR psionics! How can it be a viable release with this new magic supplement if it doesn't even use the attendant subsystem!? Something got stripped out, or maybe it was split up from the RAnger or the Paladin and they forgot to put more into it.

Spoiler
    Show
    You know, like what happened to the Divine Mind in the real world.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

I mean, Psyren, come on, Fighter isn't even a magic class. It doesn't use magic OR psionics! How can it be a viable release with this new magic supplement if it doesn't even use the attendant subsystem!? Something got stripped out, or maybe it was split up from the RAnger or the Paladin and they forgot to put more into it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, they went through the hassle of replacing power points with "slots" for magic classes, but then they released the Warlock in Complete Arcane, and it doesn't even use the slots. They can't even release an entire book about magic without shoving an entirely new subsystem into it.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

Pity it's a joke thread - there are some things about it...

Besides all aforementioned, there also was "Mind Lords of Talaron" article in Dragon #281 which tells story about Talaire - Humans who lived at some plane, until once upon a time Illithids came to Talaron.
    Talaire fought a war against Illithids - and won it.
    But retreating Mind Flayers - out of spite - killed their sun, and Talaire were forced to evacuate to another plane (Prime Material Plane).
    Talaire have no magic - just psionics
    And their psionics comes with "Psionics are Different" rule at full strength

But the most useful psionics may be in the Midnight campaign setting: magic in it is stomped to the dirt, so psionics may, actually, shine.
    The history of the world may be figuratively described as "Sauron won, kicked all competitors out, and set impassable barrier to don't let nobody in or out"
    Firstly, divine magic of this world is reserved to Evil NPC
    (Cleric, Ranger, Paladin, and Adept classes don't exist in this setting; Druid is arcane PrC)
    Secondly, to cast arcane spells, character need to take one feat (which allow to cast cantrips), plus some more feats - each one for a single school of magic
    Evocation and Conjuration were divided to Lesser and Greater schools. Greater Conjuration gives access to Calling and Summoning spells (and Teleportation is unavailable regardless)
    But even if you will take all necessary feats, you still will be severely limited at what you able to cast: in order to cast a spell, you need to spent amount of energy equal to the spell's level
    Amount of your energy is equal to the bonus of your primary spellcasting ability - and it's it: at 20th level, you would be able to cast in a day, likely, one 7th-or-lower-level spell and handful of cantrips
    Sure, you can cast above your daily energy limit, but it will cost you ability damage - Con (if you're Living Creature), Cha (if Undead), or Str (if non-living Construct)
    This damage can't be prevented in any way, nor can it be restored by magical means - only by rest
    Energy cost may be reduced either via ritual (10 minutes minimum, thus - not viable for combat), or by owning a Spell Talismans (which reduces energy cost by 1 for a single spell, and doesn't stacks)
    Since the book neither presents new rules for psionics, nor says "no psionics in Midnight", it may be optimistically supposed psionics works just as usual

Joke on you: Paladin and Ranger were subclasses of Fighter in 1E!

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

I'm not sure about these "prepared" casters. I just don't think the flexibility of being able to change your spells every day (and oh gods, don't get me started on the bookkeeping that must involve) can compete with the moment to moment flexibility that the "spontaneous" casters have. And some of those even have access to every power their class does, at all times!

Mark my words, it's these "fixed list" casters that will come out on top of this weird new system. Second place probably goes to Sorcerers, who at least get to spontaneous cast even if they're limited in options, and then at the bottom of the heap you'll have the book-keeping apocalypse that is clerics, wizards, and other prepared casters.

Except for maybe Druids, because my god those class features.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

18. - Top - End - #48
    Spamalot in the Playground

*cough*
    Spoiler: explaining the joke
    Show
    I was riffing off the theme of the thread. I agree with you, Psyren, for PF as written. In fact, I think PF's later options for the fighter go a long way to at least making it have some interesting choices, even if it doesn't actually help it keep up with other classes.

But my riff here was on the theme of "Psionics came first; magic is the supplement." Perhaps stretching that to include non-magic classes like Fighter as implied to be released similarly-timed was ill-conceived or at least poorly explained. But the joke was to evaluate the "new" class of Fighter and why its final released version sucked compared to the "comparable" class of Psychic Warrior. I was also borrowing from AD&D design, where the fighter was stand-out due to legitimately having exclusive ability to use certain high-powered magic weapons (mostly intelligent swords) which let a figther PC more than keep up with most magic-users.

The joke here was that this is my in-character hypothesis for what the Fighter was supposed to be, using the Alchemist as the parallel class the way Psywarrior is a Psion-gish, but that redesign of other things to make formerly-exclusive Fighter perks (like AD&D's exclusive access to the best magic items) now universally available and a denaturing of Fighter features without reworking them to make up for the losses led to the weak, nonmagical, nonpsionic thing that this imaginary world got along with the release of a magic subsystem.

Spoiler
    Show
    Even mentally putting your joke in blue text I didn't get it, so I addressed it straight.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

19. - Top - End - #49

RedWizardGuy

That polymorph thing is crazy, sure you can't use metamorphic transfer with it, but it can target the fighter, as in the guy who actually has good BAB and melee feats, that's just crazy. To say nothing of shapechange, who thought that making shapechange (which is basically greater metamorphosis) last longer and only need a reusable focus was a good idea, especially since it seems just about anyone can get it on their list rather than just egoists.

20. - Top - End - #50

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Moonhand View Post
    One of my players just came to me wanting to play an "Alchemist". It's got all these weird abilities and says it has a "caster" level despite not being a "spellcaster". Is this like how Soulknives and Aegii are psionic despite not being manifesters? That said, it's nice to see that someone in this whole "magic" line decided to not go overboard with their buffing ability. These Alchemists can't use their "extracts" (not spells like other magic classes, why so many terms?) on other people.
    actually, there is a talent they can take at second level to share them, making them the best single target buffer available. the character they want to buff does have to use their own action to do so though. it is called infusion.
    the first half of the meaning of life is that there isn't one.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Guys... Guys. Have you seen the absurdity that is the arcanist?

Munchkin player: "I want the overkill strategic versatility of preparing spells from a book and the tactical versatility of casting them spontaneously in the day."

Paizo, presenting arcanist: "We got you, fam."

How busted is this? Even erudites aren't that ridiculously flexible.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

22. - Top - End - #52

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Guys... Guys. Have you seen the absurdity that is the arcanist?

Munchkin player: "I want the overkill strategic versatility of preparing spells from a book and the tactical versatility of casting them spontaneously in the day."

Paizo, presenting arcanist: "We got you, fam."

How busted is this? Even erudites aren't that ridiculously flexible.
    Well, there also is the Spell to Power Erudite, and that just.... No downsides, get every arcane spell!! And all the psionic powers. (At least the arcanist doesn't get expanded knowledge)
    At least they got a bit of cross compatability.
    Last edited by JMS; 2019-10-28 at 05:58 AM.
    Game I am in:
    Giants and Graveyards Red Hand of Doom as Enn (3.5 Changeling Rogue//Dark template/Beguiler) using Grod's awesome Giants and Graveyards fixes
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    3.5 is the English Language of gaming.
    Folklore and the Evil Eye - A Guide to The Dreamscarred Press Malefex Class

23. - Top - End - #53
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JMS View Post
    Well, there also is the Spell to Power Erudite, and that just.... No downsides, get every arcane spell!! And all the psionic powers. (At least the arcanist doesn't get expanded knowledge)
    At least they got a bit of cross compatability.
    Note that it's entirely possible to turn "divine spells" (so weird!) into "arcane spells" (*shudder*) through multitudinous means. Those weird "metallic" and "chromatic" dragons tend to have "cleric spells" as "arcane spells," and that fantasy noire campaign setting Eberron has the Child of Eberron dragon archetype to give them druid spells, as well.

(So weird!)

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Note that it's entirely possible to turn "divine spells" (so weird!) into "arcane spells" (*shudder*) through multitudinous means. Those weird "metallic" and "chromatic" dragons tend to have "cleric spells" as "arcane spells," and that fantasy noire campaign setting Eberron has the Child of Eberron dragon archetype to give them druid spells, as well.

(So weird!)
    Read the sorcerer closely. It doesn't have to draw from the sor/wiz list, it just "usually" does. That earlier person who said the sorcerer would probably be second behind the fixed-lists might be wrong, if only for the ability to draw from basically any list! Small mercies this new subsystem isn't really manifesting, or it'd be even worse with them stealing powers higgledy piggledy.

My Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post

(So weird!)
    Wait, is that what "arcane-divine transparency" means? One is fluffed as scientists and the other as divine intervention; I thought by default they don't interact, and letting them dispel each others' "spells" was a house rule.

26. - Top - End - #56

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Wait, is that what "arcane-divine transparency" means? One is fluffed as scientists and the other as divine intervention; I thought by default they don't interact, and letting them dispel each others' "spells" was a house rule.
    Nah, thats the weird part. «Divine« and «Arcane« magic are different in fluff only, mechanically they are the same system. In the fluff the «arcane» classes need all kinds of weird ingredients to manifest their powers, while the «Divine» classes just need to hold up a symbol of their god, but otherwise it’s identical.
    Honestly, it’s all very confusing, and this transparency stuff is just flat out weird.

For some reason the designers decided to explicitly put the decision of wether or not this «magic» interacts normally with regular psionics completely in the hands of the GM. But they silently enforce no transparency by giving them their own version of Knowledge: Psionics called Knowedge: Arcane, as well as their own kind of Power Resistance.
    It’s just messy.
    Last edited by EisenKreutzer; 2019-10-28 at 12:37 PM.
    Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.
    - G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Are you some sort of Wizard?
    This is Æl-Ceald, an ice-age fantasy campaign setting. Updated!

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

These new wizards even get familiars (like psi-crystals but better!). If you look closely, some of those familiars can fly (and deliver touch spells!), use magic items, etc. Broken11!!11111!!!

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EisenKreutzer View Post
    Nah, thats the weird part. «Divine« and «Arcane« magic are different in fluff only, mechanically they are the same system. In the fluff the «arcane» classes need all kinds of weird ingredients to manifest their powers, while the «Divine» classes just need to hold up a symbol of their god, but otherwise it’s identical.
    Honestly, it’s all very confusing, and this transparency stuff is just flat out weird.
    I find it especially weird that a wizard needs to rummage around in a little bag of everything to cast the same spell as a cleric who just holds out a small carving. Mechanically they both simplify to "needs a free hand," but this system would be so much easier to learn if you didn't have to memorize which 5 gp doodad you need to buy to be able to use your class features.

29. - Top - End - #59

Also, when you think about it critically the whole distinction between these «spellcasters» and regular manifesters breaks down. These classes «memorize» their spells, meaning the spells are stored in their mind and are really an application of mental power. So really it’s all just another way of being a psionic manifester «without being a psionic manifester.»
    And the «sorcery» class is even worse, as their powers are literally ingrained in their mind just like a normal power.

It’s all just reflavoured psionics, making the whole subsystem thematically pointless. AND without power points as a way to balance it, it’s extremely open to abuse. Honestly this was a bad idea. There was nothing wrong with psionics. Gandalf and Raistlin were obviously psions, and I’m struggling to think of any literary source of inspiration for these classes, besides that one weird Vance guy.
    Last edited by EisenKreutzer; 2019-10-28 at 08:03 PM.
    Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.
    - G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Are you some sort of Wizard?
    This is Æl-Ceald, an ice-age fantasy campaign setting. Updated!

30. - Top - End - #60

Quote Originally Posted by EisenKreutzer View Post
    Gandalf and Raistlin were obviously psions, and I’m struggling to think of any literary source of inspiration for these classes, besides that one weird Vance guy.
    Well, of course Raistlin was a psion; the whole Dragonlance series is a novelization of the Hickman/Weiss D&D campaign. Elminster, Nystul, and Mordenkainen are also psions; we know this because that's their listed class. (Okay, Elminster is probably better done as one of those Spell-to-Power Erudites or *shudder* Arcanists, but he was made before this new system designed at his level of GMPC brokenness came out.)

There's a novel series where the psychic powers could be "hung" for later manifestation called the Chronicles of Amber; I wonder if these wizards can model that any better.

Has anybody else commented on the weird "Magical Drow" sidebar, by the way? Their psi-like abilities just seem to get relabeled to "magical," and now their Mind-matrons are being relabeled as clerics. I guess they needed a "magic" underdark race, and it was a toss-up on the drow or the mind flayers, and with "mind" in the name, they couldn't make them work that way. But why not just make a new race that uses magic, instead?