New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Default Players playing awakened animals

What would your opinions be on someone playing an awakened animal in a campaign? I recently discovered the glorious badger and wondered what the thoughts were on the subject.

I am aware that the badger would not be able to hold normal weapons, I was looking at making a wizard.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Players playing awakened animals

As long as it fits the theme and the group is cool with it.
    Knowledge brings the sting of disillusionment, but the pain teaches perspective.
    "You know it's all fake right?"
    "...yeah, but it makes me feel better."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Beholder

Heck, someone produced the Noble Wild books that turns animals into dnd races for 3x and PF.

So there are probably games out there where everyone is an animal.

So yeah, why not?

Presuming it flies by your DM of course.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, is it that different from playing with a typical druid?
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I mean, is it that different from playing with a typical druid?
    Awakened Badger wizard =/= druid. Druids can't fireball.

And they can't commit to just being a badger

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post

Meh. Fireball is just flaming sphere with zero stamina. You dern kids have no idea how to take things slow.

Now I want to see an awakened badger with enough shapechanging mojo to assume humanoid form frequently enough to pretend to be a druid who just really likes wild shaping into badgers.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I got no problem with it. Don't think my current GM would either.

There are some obvious issues in both the lack of thumbs and lack of ability to verbalize. Easy way around the former is to simply start at a high enough level that you can already have acquired a pearl of speech or spent a couple skill points to have learned common. The hand thing is a bit tougher (unless you're something simian) but savage species has the gloves of man and the arms of the naga; albeit at some pretty steep costs.

On classes, a lot of the warrior classes can work just fine with claws and bites and Lords of Madness has mouth-pick weapons. Incarnum classes make for an interesting mental image. Casters magnify the problems in the previous paragraph though, wizards and archivists most of all. If you want to be the magical critter, I'd go with psionics.

Worse comes worse, you'll be alright as long as there's somebody with wild-empathy in the party.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    I got no problem with it. Don't think my current GM would either.

There are some obvious issues in both the lack of thumbs and lack of ability to verbalize. Easy way around the former is to simply start at a high enough level that you can already have acquired a pearl of speech or spent a couple skill points to have learned common. The hand thing is a bit tougher (unless you're something simian) but savage species has the gloves of man and the arms of the naga; albeit at some pretty steep costs.

On classes, a lot of the warrior classes can work just fine with claws and bites and Lords of Madness has mouth-pick weapons. Incarnum classes make for an interesting mental image. Casters magnify the problems in the previous paragraph though, wizards and archivists most of all. If you want to be the magical critter, I'd go with psionics.

Worse comes worse, you'll be alright as long as there's somebody with wild-empathy in the party.
    Surrogate spellcasting is probably a better solution to provide the spells' components, but I second psionics - especially ardents. Wis-manifesting, gishy style, no components, and you recover racial HD with practiced manifester.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

badger hengeyokai is an alternative rules legal option.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGirl

My sister played an awakened cat in a brief game. She was a fun character and would have been nice to have explored it more.
    Minister of sarcasm and pragmatism of the Grayview fanclub.

No, none of us were altering the unimutable laws of physics. That would be wrong.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

There are some obvious issues in both the lack of thumbs and lack of ability to verbalize.
    Awakened animals get one language of the awakening spellcaster's choice. So, that isn't an issue.

That said, no opposable thumbs is an issue. I recommend sorcerer over wizard as a result.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post

Which is a wise choice. if wizards were Wisdom casters they'd probably remove fireball from their spell lists so that their apprentices wouldn't fall into the trap of (suboptimal) blasting.

But Wizards are int casters so they probably invented fireball just as a test for young Wizards to tech them "read the spell description before you commit time and money to a spell".

Please visit and review my System.
    Generalist Sorcerer

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Does a druid from a wild species get an urban shape ability? To turn into crows, rats and humanoids?
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    Does a druid from a wild species get an urban shape ability? To turn into crows, rats and humanoids?
    Well, Fangshield Druids get the ability to wildshape into human-like hybrids (not actual hybrids but visually hybrids) and can change their non-dextrous hands into human-like hands when they wild-shape.

I mean...cats with thumbs, *shudder*.
    Knowledge brings the sting of disillusionment, but the pain teaches perspective.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Got to lv 19 as a Housecat Telepath before I soloed Cuthulu at the Finale.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Dragon #293 already listed ECL for the whole Monster Manual - thus, if you can fix minor problems (like lacking intelligence or mobility), you can play it (Cat is +0)

Also, we already have playable Cheshire Cat, who have no thumbs too

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    Dragon #293 already listed ECL for the whole Monster Manual - thus, if you can fix minor problems (like lacking intelligence or mobility), you can play it (Cat is +0)

Also, we already have playable Cheshire Cat, who have no thumbs too
    For the complete list
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruethgar View Post
    It is ECL, Dragon #293. Cat, Lizard, Monkey, Rat, Toad all ECL 0. Only animals are viable from the article, everything else was updated in MM 3.5.
    Exceptions to general rules means that animals in MM1 are more powerful than others. 3 RHD, even if the first is fraction, is better than many things if optimized well.
    Level Point System 5E
    Poker Roll

Tier 1 Master of All
    Tier 2 Lightning Bruiser
    Tier 3 Lethal Joke Character
    Tier 4 Master of None
    Tier 5 Crippling Overspecialization
    Tier 6 Joke Character

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

Instead of gloves of man or arms of the naga (which are extremely expensive), a pair (pair!) of warforged mighty arms grafts are a mere 1,000 gp. Still more than most 1st level neophytes can afford, but much cheaper than the other options. And they allow you to use warforged hand/arm/ring components!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Sorry for the late replies, I forgot my account password and had a small headache while switching browsers.

So the badger in mind would have had the Awaken spell cast on him, giving him a couple languages and the base INT score needed to start being an actual wizard. I've never heard of people doing it outside of the few stories, and wasn't sure if I'd get a book(or 3) tossed at me.

Now, to find someone else to DM is another matter entirely.

Thanks everyone for your replies!
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

One more way to play as (Dire) Animal: be of whatever race, join the Sacred Order of Man-Beasts, agree to let them cast Dire Reincarnation on you, die, and you will be reincarnated as some Dire Animal (Dire Badger is on roll 27-39)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LegionXIV View Post
    Sorry for the late replies, I forgot my account password and had a small headache while switching browsers.

So the badger in mind would have had the Awaken spell cast on him, giving him a couple languages and the base INT score needed to start being an actual wizard. I've never heard of people doing it outside of the few stories, and wasn't sure if I'd get a book(or 3) tossed at me.

Couple of questions: How will you carry your spellbook? How will you add spells to your spellbook? Are there feats you can take that eliminate the need for a spellbook? Not having thumbs makes it hard to do some of the fine-motor-control wizardy stuff. Eschew Materials is a thing, right? So at least you don't need to mess with material components. I'm certain the spells you learn will have somatic components modified to your physique. Does this mean you will need to research alternate versions of all new spells you want to learn? No, silly, me, you just take the Still Spell feat.

Can you scribe spell scrolls? Use spell scrolls? Make magic items? Magic wands are probably out, as are rings (unless you can wear them on your wrists as bracelets - which I would allow. But I'm not your DM)
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Couple of questions: How will you carry your spellbook? How will you add spells to your spellbook? Are there feats you can take that eliminate the need for a spellbook?
    The Eidetic Spellcaster ACF (Dragon #357) replaces a Wizard’s familiar and Scribe Scroll with the ability to memorize and prepare spells without a spellbook.
    Also, Spell Mastery.

I'm certain the spells you learn will have somatic components modified to your physique. Does this mean you will need to research alternate versions of all new spells you want to learn? No, silly, me, you just take the Still Spell feat.
    Surrogate Spellcasting feat allow to do verbal and somatic components for nonhumanoids (such as Giant Eagle in example)

Magic wands are probably out, as are rings (unless you can wear them on your wrists as bracelets - which I would allow. But I'm not your DM)
    According to the Animals (Part Four) article, rings are among the suitable equipment for Animal Companions - thus, for Animals in general (at least, presuming sufficient limbs)

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LegionXIV View Post

The Awaken spell gives you 3d6 int. Doesn't say +3d6 int. Just, 3d6 (consider that the standard system is 4d6 drop lowest). Granted, you might be able to get 3 6's out of that, but you're running a lot of risk on having your primary mental score be somewhere between 8 and 14. Meaning you couldn't cast spells, or your spell selection would be very limited and you'd run into a hard cap around level 8 (though if you spent both your score increases you'd raise that cap to 10th). Okay, maybe level 8-10 is high enough. But you're also limiting your spell DCs for a good 10 levels of gameplay.

Just a fair warning, it's entirely possible the process you are proposing would make you unable to actually be a Wizard.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by False God View Post
    The Awaken spell gives you 3d6 int.
    What if it were empowered or maximized?
    Last edited by Tallyn; 2019-10-25 at 05:27 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tallyn View Post
    Or both...

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tallyn View Post
    That works, although if you're looking to play one as a normal PC it's probably more sensible to ignore that part of the spell and just make your stats with whatever your DM normally uses for character generation.

27. - Top - End - #27

Or both...
    Why not Intensify?
    +7 Spell Level, double dice and maximize them, so you get +36 Int.
    Not pathfinder version.
    Level Point System 5E
    Poker Roll

Tier 1 Master of All
    Tier 2 Lightning Bruiser
    Tier 3 Lethal Joke Character
    Tier 4 Master of None
    Tier 5 Crippling Overspecialization
    Tier 6 Joke Character

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HouseRules View Post
    Why not Intensify?
    +7 Spell Level, double dice and maximize them, so you get +36 Int.
    Not pathfinder version.
    Because anyone with any sense pretends the ELH never happened.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Firbolg in the Playground

A psion with a StP erudite friend (or just the StP erudite itself) who has access to awaken in arcane format (through various means; there are multiple) can Empower as many times as he has psionic foci to spend. Or if he has the dominant ideal ACF, Metapower (Empower + awaken) and awaken on a customized mantle, he can Empower as many times as he wants.