The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Enter the Fields of Blood. (DnD 3.5/Pathfinder Competitive Kingdom Building)

Enter the Fields of Blood

"This is a good day to Die"

What is Fields of Blood?

Fields of Blood is a rather nifty little third party book for the OG Dungeons and Dragons 3rd edition. In essence, its rules for the players to make there own kingdoms and run it as lords (Or enterprising mercenaries if there not the ones in charge). Its a lot like Kingmaker, except it has far more depth, at least I think so. Why is that? well...it has WAR. And by War, I mean incredibly neat rules for mass combat and unit creation that allows for a lot of customization that can make DnD more like a wargame a la Warhammer or Kings of War.

What do I want?

Well, its a big ask, but one that might make for a very interesting game! Simply put, I would like a DM to run this supplement with either DnD 3.5 or Pathfinder. Pathfinder might be a little harder, but the rules for pathfinder are close enough to DnD 3.5 where the game should be able to work with only a few minor differences in stats between some monsters.

The even bigger ask? I kinda want it to be like a Total war game! As in the Players are running the kingdoms as there rulers and competing with other players to be on top and rule the land. Now if this is too much, it could instead be made into two teams of players, or even just all the players working together with one kingdom against many others, though that's more like kingmaker.

Ideas and Scenarios

These are just a few General Concepts I had in my head to make such an idea work! Think of them as those little ideas in the back of most Splat books with campaign ideas

The King is Dead: The world was that of clashing cultures. Every people with there own unique ideas and ways of life, constantly going against there neighbors. in these differences, there was war. Constant fighting would break out on the borders of these nations, death would plague each of them...Until he came. An Avatar of conquest who one by one took control of these nations through intrigue, magic, or plain and simple bloodshed. A Group of heroes from each of these nations attempted to stand against him..only to be defeated, their names scrubbed from the records. He conquested the world, and when he was at the height of his power...he fell dead suddenly. No one quite knows how someone of such great power could have died..but with the death of the King, one must rise to take his place...who among his kingdom is capable of that?

The Arena: In the Multi-verse. a great game is had between the gods of various realms and dimensions. one that pits there greatest creations against each other. Some Milenia it's beasts, others champions...but this game is diffrent. This one does not pit one against one, but many against many. the greatest civilizations of each gods realm have been put into a new, much smaller world, each realms god interested in seeing which one comes out on top. The reward? A Wish for the Kingdom, granted by the one above all. the price for failure? Utter Oblivion. Will the Kingdoms and civilizations play along? or try and spit in the faces of the gods who made them? Who knows.

A New Continent: A New continent has risen from the depths of the ocean. no one is quite sure as to why, but many are keen to exploit this new land's mysterious resources. You play the part of a regent for your kingdom, sent to explore and make a claim on this place.

After the End, again, and again, and again: This is an old world. Kingdoms have risen, they have prospored, and they have fallen. the end of the world has came and went and come again. You are not special, simply the cockroaches rising out of the ruins. The world is a desolate and dangerous place, ruled by many ruins of old civilizations. In other words, magical Mad Max

Whats this? Suggestions?

Having just been a part of a game like this that died, I have found that there are a couple of things a would-be DM should keep in mind!

1. Keep the map small. It's really good to have a classic civilization style map with interesting locations and dungeons to explore...but that doesn't really work well in this. It's like running 6 different dnd games at the same time. Minor events and NPC factions are adored! but try and think more in the grand scale of things, the interactions between the players should be the most important part! it's about Diplomacy and war! Trying to add to many ingredients to a dish might make it taste worse overall.

2. Keep it moderately higher leveled. Don't need level 20 people, but hundreds of people won't necessarily follow around a level 4 chump who can shoot a scorching ray. Besides, it's incredibly satisfying to have a character whos capable of going up against a bunch of low-level mooks set in army formations isnt it? I'm thinking levels 9ish to 12ish could be a good start! Also, leadership should probably be a Bonus feat for everyone. just a thought.

3. This one's more for players but, don't try and break the game. It's a competitive one yea, but it's more fun for people to try and make interesting kingdoms and characters then Shooty'mc Timestop who presses the pause button to nuke every kingdom from orbit with some quickened one damage spell that wipes out the peasants for hundreds of miles. Aint cool dude.

4. Use discord. Seriously, it helps a whole hell of a lot for this kind of thing. Play by post can drag, but playing something with discord can keep it alive a lot longer with the players, trust me.

5. The number of players. This...wouldnt work well for 12 players. Try and keep it a bit smaller and more focused? you dig?

6. Use the total war games on the board as inspiration. Their format with the End of turn report works very well for this sort of game. take a good look at it

Either way, I hope theres some interest for this! it's my first-time request but im dyyyyiiiing for something like this. Im sure lots of others are to
    Last edited by Shadowflick; 2019-10-25 at 10:36 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Enter the Fields of Blood. (DnD 3.5/Pathfinder Competitive Kingdom Building)

Interested, to say the least. I only skimmed so far, I will get back with a full read and pitch.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

Default Re: Enter the Fields of Blood. (DnD 3.5/Pathfinder Competitive Kingdom Building)

pending interest
    well I started an FOB that died. I would like to play but discord is not really an option so if who ever runs it makes that a thing then i would be not interested
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-10-17 at 05:55 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Posting my interest. Perhaps a total war.might prevent first season death.
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    I'm not feeling conquery.
    Status Update:
    Girlfriend didn't pay internet, very slow for next little bit.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Count me in. This might be the second rise of oligarchic gigantochracy of Venice-Switzerland (I miss that nation).
    Thanks a lot Gengy for the awesome... just a sec... avatar. :)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think I would be interested. I probably wouldn't win, but it can be fun to play. And besides, sometimes going down in flames is even more fun!

7. - Top - End - #7

NecromancerGuy

Nice to see this catching some intrest! As a side note, I'd be willing to help any prospective DM's with set up and stuff, been thinking of a lot of different additional homebrew content to add to FOB...but I can also just..not do that to. There's already a lot in that book. it's...pretty thicc

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thethird View Post
    Count me in. This might be the second rise of oligarchic gigantochracy of Venice-Switzerland (I miss that nation).
    Hell with that, I've played enough Civ 5 to know you pick Egypt and never look back, lol. #monumental-theocracy

Seriously though, I really like this idea. I am currently ordering the book myself because this is exactly what I have been looking for with an at home game. That said, you have made mention of some total war games for use of reference. Do you have any in particular that were done very well and can be used as a bit of a guide?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

I may have some possibilities for this
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

10. - Top - End - #10

NecromancerGuy

Oh thank god, I've been in FoB withdrawal for ages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gildedragon View Post
    "How much to help you craft items? I'll cover the XP costs" All Lvl 15 Githyanki

11. - Top - End - #11

NecromancerGuy

@Buifreak oh dang! Didnít think Iíd get a gm so soon! As for total war games for inspiration? Well, thatís a toughie. Iíve only been in a few so I doubt I can be much help. Iím not on my computer right now so I canít give links, but Iíd say TW Imperium is one you could look at, as well as Toal War chaos, which was another fun one. Then thereís also the island survival one going on now. You can sorta skim a few at your leisure! Thereís also a discord you could look at

Also, just going to toss in what I think my faction is going to be. I was thinking tribal, metal eating warforged myself. I played the ever classic necromacer nation the last time and it was fun, but warforged have soooo many customization options that I just canít resist
    Last edited by Shadowflick; 2019-10-18 at 12:31 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Really interested here. I would want to lean towards Pathfinder rather than 3.5 if the kingdom book plays nicely with it.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 5ColouredWalker View Post
    Posting my interest. Perhaps a total war.might prevent first season death.
    Quote Originally Posted by ErebusVonMori View Post
    Oh thank god, I've been in FoB withdrawal for ages.
    Oh people... that brings back memories... Let's hope it starts and lasts!
    Does this poster have a sign?

14. - Top - End - #14

Posting interest until we learn more from the GM.
    ~There is nothing more tragic than when a loving family is torn apart by something as simple as a pack of wolves.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

I want to see were this goes.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry, perhaps a misunderstanding. I am currently in no mental or health shape to DM. I've just looked for something like this for a long while, and want to dive in head first for information. I'm a devil in the details kinda guy.

17. - Top - End - #17

NecromancerGuy

Definitely going to undead empire route, as always, but in my defence I've never been in a game that made it to turn 2 so never had a chance to actually play it.
    "How much to help you craft items? I'll cover the XP costs" All Lvl 15 Githyanki

18. - Top - End - #18

NecromancerGuy

@buu Ohhhh, Iím sorry then! Sorry got a little mixed up there I think! Still, itís nice to see the interest!

19. - Top - End - #19

Tagged for player interest.
    A man who dies fighting with his principles intact dies in glory. To expect enemies to follow the same code of honor defiles that honor, reducing it to a set of arbitrary rules.

20. - Top - End - #20

NecromancerGuy

So, While we wait for a DM (And since I want to make sure this is a little bumped) Why don't we discuss some of our factions ideas? or at least which scenario looks the most interesting.

Personally, i cant really make much a decision myself since I came up with them, buuuut, For my faction, i was thinking 'Warforged, though a bit more rusted. Mainly, a lot of them are tribal and nearly feral. In order to not become this weird, feral variant, they have to consume metal to keep their minds together. A lot of them come from a forge that has a hole dug straight to hell some say, where they take souls to implant within metal shells for troops. Or something like that. Might type it out later

21. - Top - End - #21

Planetar

I'd be interested in creating a faction for this game...probably some sort of a religious caste based technocracy, with a big focus on stars and astrology. Many mystics, but also some sort of...steamless steampunk? tons of gears and metal, but with starlight power instead of fire and smoke.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowflick View Post
    Or at least which scenario looks the most interesting.
    The scenario nį1 seems the easiest to set and the most coherent.

An Empire has been forged by the will of an epic adventurer and his companions.
    He did this by conquests but also by treaties and by weddings, building a very large confederation of various kingdoms, city-states, tribes and organizations, all technically loyal but only because they know a rebellion would be pointless as long as the Emperor and his friends are alive.
    Then a sudden cataclysm levels the capital city, killing the epic level adventurers and most of the Imperial Court.

Because of the numerous queens, concubines and trysts of the Emperor, his line of succession is unclear.
    No single surviving prince can be discarded because each has the political support of his mother's homeland.
    The Emperor wasn't shy about his bastards either and most had been promoted to generals or governors, making the surviving ones also potential political actors now.

Even if the line of succession was clear, that wouldn't mean everyone would accept it :
    While some vassals were grateful to join the Empire because they needed protection from other threats, this happened more than a generation ago.
    The rulers of back then might not be anymore, partly because so many might have been in the capital during the Cataclysm.
    And so the new rulers don't feel the same loyalty to the Empire.
    As for the realms that were brought through conquests or simply imposed treaties through intimidation, they will EVEN more so now wish to be independents.

So everyone plays a former vassal of the Empire, wishing to either become independent or at least to survive the looming civil war.
    Because the Empire was continent-wide, the cultures and types of vassals can be widely different, allowing for creativity.

Ex :
    The Hell-Forged might have been a secret project of the Emperor's Court Mage to create a new form of legionaries.
    A discarded project, with the Hell Foundry being labelled as flawed and too dangerous back then, its creations let to rust in the nearby forest under heavy magical wards.
    But then the Cataclysm happened and some of the Emperor's governor had the bright idea to try to recruit the Hell-Forged while also restarting the Hell Foundry.
    Too bad it failed hard and now, there's a growing horde of feral toasters that are slowly advancing upon the Empire's cities.
    Without a central administration to address the threat and with most powers too focused on surviving the attentions of their neighbors, nobody can do anything radical about it.

23. - Top - End - #23

NecromancerGuy

I'm considering going full nomadic and investing all the money into a couple uber-items for my PC. Backstory would be how found an extremely powerful scythe in a tomb called Entropy's Herald and is just rolling across the land undeading everything in his wake.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Wildly interested in this, real life is a little tight right now but since this tend to take a while to get off the ground not to worried about it.

As for nation I'm thinking of some sort of tribal confederacy of traditional enemies that only really came together in order to have some speck of influence within an empire far too big to care for any of them alone. Not sure on the specifics yet, since it'll depend on what the DM decides to do with the rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Ah, yes, trolls, the monsters that are such wusses their primary means of reproduction is being eaten by other creatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ColouredWalker View Post
    With all this talk of half dragon cohorts I may need to scrap riding a actual Dragon given how unoptimized it is.
    hey, order a gig here: https://www.fiverr.com/neriractor

I would really appreciate it.

homebrew:
    shadowdancer rework

human ranger substitution levels

25. - Top - End - #25

Planetar

After further thought, my faction would be a city state that managed to create a truce with the fey, and thus became a force to reckon with, creating the first city in the world that allowed coexistence of humans and fair folk.

My vassal's mother was the creator of the city, who was given the rank of honor for her actions. She was assasinated by people who did not like the fey and did not want to collaborate with them.

My character wants to uphold the pact with the fey, and make everyone else join them, in a little more...violent way than his mother.

The character itself would be a halfling warlock, mounted eldritch glaiver

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Heavenblade View Post
    After further thought, my faction would be a city state that managed to create a truce with the fey, and thus became a force to reckon with, creating the first city in the world that allowed coexistence of humans and fair folk.

My vassal's mother was the creator of the city, who was given the rank of honor for her actions. She was assasinated by people who did not like the fey and did not want to collaborate with them.

My character wants to uphold the pact with the fey, and make everyone else join them, in a little more...violent way than his mother.

The character itself would be a halfling warlock, mounted eldritch glaiver
    I like it.

27. - Top - End - #27

NecromancerGuy

So far these factions are sounding pretty rad! I like some of the fleshing out of the King, though the whole situation was highly inspired by Alexander the Great. After all, his last words about who would succeed him was 'The Strongest".

Now, i was thinking if (Gods Forbid) we don't get a Gm, how would we run this game..without one? It would be a tad difficult I think since there are a lot of random events, and potential some flubbing. But, it's an idea.

28. - Top - End - #28

NecromancerGuy

For what it's worth my 'kill everything' necromancer does have a reason, he hopes that if everything's undead then the gods and hells will lose their supply of souls and leave the world alone. It's an extreme measure but someone's got to do it.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowflick View Post
    So far these factions are sounding pretty rad! I like some of the fleshing out of the King, though the whole situation was highly inspired by Alexander the Great. After all, his last words about who would succeed him was 'The Strongest".

Now, i was thinking if (Gods Forbid) we don't get a Gm, how would we run this game..without one? It would be a tad difficult I think since there are a lot of random events, and potential some flubbing. But, it's an idea.
    • The background of the story

This is the most important to be defined and, if no GM shows up, better to choose yourself, as you are the OP.

• The map without the factions

Once we know the type of scenario, we can easily generate a random map on Azgaar's Fantasy Map Generator or any similar suitable tool. Beside the landscapes, the few NPC elements we need are the population centers, with maybe a few lines of fluff for each but nothing overly complicated.

• The background of the factions

Once the scenario and the map are known, players can pick a spot on the map for their capital and then write the fluff of their factions.

• The crunch of the factions

Once each factionís crunch is hammered, we decide on how much RP points can go into pre-building the realms and armies, along with how much territory each faction starts with.
    The rest is up to each player, with peer review for crosschecking mistakes.

• The random seasonal events

They can be rolled here and then fluffed by a different player each season.

• The seasonal moral check, income check and upkeep payments

They can be rolled at the same time as the seasonal events, again by the player of the season.
    The seasonal regent and realm actions
    This is up to each player to post.

• The weekly actions

This is up to each player to post.

• The battles and other random events

Again the player designated as GM for the season handles it.
    If availability or impartiality is an issue, two players can be designated each season.

------------------------------------------

EDIT :
    I have several ideas for factions but it will depend heavily on which scenarios and therefore what scales we are playing.
    Ideas listed below. Please feel free to claim as your own.

• A nomadic tribe of wood elves is led by a ranger warlord. He tries to protect as large a forest as possible from foreigners. The forest is the territory of the elves and nobody else. Despite their ambitious territorial aims, the elves are just not numerous enough to defend everywhere.
      The ultimate aim for me would be to control all forests on the map. I'll also need to see with the GM the exact details of the nomadic realms.
    • A civilized fortress of dwarves is led by a rogue merchant. He tries to make as much gold as possible by setting a bank, loaning gold in exchange for interest payments or favors. If people donít pay back, seizing their assets through military might and then selling them back to the highest bidder.
      The ultimate aim for me would be to have so much wealth that my realm won't know what to do with it. I'll have to see with the GM how we can handle mercenaries and the likes.
    • A barbarian kingdom is led by a dynasty of sorcerer despots that raised a clutch of very dimwitted dragons from birth. Many humanoids have flocked to the kingdom. The beast is the nominal ruler and is strong enough to crush a small army on its own but its ego has to be carefully managed.
      The ultimate aim for me would be to have an actual dragon takes to the skies and terrorize the world. In the mean time, the dragon would be kept as a background element : "It does not please his Magnificent Terror to attend personally to matters below him".
    • A cultured federation of small agrarian villages is led by a noble-minded fighter. He tries to settle as wide a land as possible, wishing to avoid cities and the morality decay of urban life. The people also agree with him that they can do better without kings and the likes : they will rule themselves.
      The ultimate aim for me would be to create the equivalent of a good-aligned rural USSR, with each province having a village. Given how the rules are working, this might be tricky but fun.
    Last edited by Johel; 2019-10-22 at 05:25 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30

NecromancerGuy

Damn, it's looking like another FoB will die a premature death