New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default [3.x] is there a feat (or other thing) for reducing size penalties

Pretty much as the title says. Is there a feat or spell or item in DnD 3.5 that reduces penalties to hitting and to AC for being larger than medium?
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.x] is there a feat (or other thing) for reducing size penalties

I've learned to never say never in this game, but I'm not aware of any such game elements. Mostly because WotC had the impression that all PCs are Medium forever, no matter what. Yes, you and I both know that this assumption is not true, but it really seems to be an assumption that WotC was working with.

Of course, from a practical standpoint, since you're just talking about relatively minor penalties, it's likely to be easier to just find another arbitrary bonus to effectively cancel out the penalty in question. (For actual monsters, the devs would usually just throw on arbitrary STR buffs and/or natural armor if they felt like the numbers were too low; you have to actually expend resources here, but the basic concept is the same.)
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Usually the penalty is out-weighted by the Strength/NA bonuses. The size modifier itself is inherent to your current size and cannot be changed in any way other than changing sizes. The only exceptions to this are Powerful/Slight Build, but other than that, the only way to counteract it is simply stacking a bigger bonus on top of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Honestly the fastest way to make a paladin fall is to cast the grease spell or to trip the paladin.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

There is nothing that I know of that directly removes the penalties without changing size, but...

There is the shrink collar in the Arms and Equipment guide, page 80, that changes your size to small. It stats that it does not change any of the creatures other attributes. Read what you want other attributes to mean, but I always thought that was the changes in ability scores and natural armor. Never considered that the AC mods might also not change, but not certain.

There is the Malleable armor property in the Underdark book. It lets you move through confined spaces as if you were smaller. This is not a direct AC changer, but it does allow a creature to retain it's Dex score when in a confined space. The Tunnel fighting feat is similar from Dungeonscape.

Kobold slight build from the web enchancement makes them count as being a size small for some things, but it does not list AC as an example.

There is the Dungeonbred monster template that reduces size, but does not have an LA.
    Last edited by Bphill561; 2019-10-19 at 10:05 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Thanks for the input everyone! I reckoned there probably wasn't something like this after google turned up nothing, but I reckoned it was better to check the playground hivemind just in case. It's true that the penalties are generally fairly small, but they tend to become bigger once you're about gargantuan in size or so , so if there had been a feat that made you count as one size smaller for those penalties or something like that in an obscure source, it would have made quite the difference.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: [3.x] is there a feat (or other thing) for reducing size penalties

Quote Originally Posted by Bphill561 View Post
    There is the shrink collar in the Arms and Equipment guide, page 80, that changes your size to small. It stats that it does not change any of the creatures other attributes. Read what you want other attributes to mean, but I always thought that was the changes in ability scores and natural armor. Never considered that the AC mods might also not change, but not certain.
    I was unaware of this item before. Thank you. A steal at 10,000gp! I assume the intention was for it to only work for animals etc. but that isn't stipulated.

I can see some hilarious shenanigans involving this collar in my near future!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    Thanks for the input everyone! I reckoned there probably wasn't something like this after google turned up nothing, but I reckoned it was better to check the playground hivemind just in case. It's true that the penalties are generally fairly small, but they tend to become bigger once you're about gargantuan in size or so , so if there had been a feat that made you count as one size smaller for those penalties or something like that in an obscure source, it would have made quite the difference.
    The closest thing i can recall is Kobold counting as Tiny whenever it's favourable