The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 163
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    The Haunting

    Welcome to your third scenario of Call of Cthulhu, the Horror/Investigative roleplaying game of mystery wherein you, an ordinary person, shall encounter and confront the terrifying alien forces of the Cthulhu mythos. Now that you've gotten some experience under your belt concerning freeform investigations, we will enter into our first cooperative scenario. This is still something intended for a beginner, but this is also one of the more physically challenging beginning scenarios, but nevertheless, it is time to begin... welcome, to The Haunting.

    One important thing you have to keep in mind is that certain sections I may only show to either of you, for example, if/when you split up I may spoiler off certain pieces of text, if you happen to go insane, I may split up certain pieces of text. Basically, whenever you are not seeing the same thing, I will split up pieces of text.

    ----
    Spoiler: Guido Malatesta
    Show
    Arkham, 2:32 PM, October 3rd, 1921

    You've returned. As you exit the motor-coach things seem... normal. Everything is seemingly peaceful within the city of Arkham. Your mind cannot help but go over the events of the last couple of days. While surely not as harrowing as what might have happened in Emberhead, one thing is for sure, the world is not just for humans. However deep this rabbit hole goes, you're unsure, but nevertheless, diving down it shall be a tale for another day, at least, definitely not today. You head into Arkham Rare Books and Maps; although the shift is short, you cannot help but feel exhausted from all that has happened.
    Eventually you push the door to your apartment open and arrive inside. It's refreshing to be in your bed once more, and you feel at home.

    Arkham, 5:32 PM, October 5th, 1921

    You're still mulling over the events that occurred, and how your world has been changed. Your mind is now open to the secrets of the universe, and that is most certainly not a comfortable feeling. Nevertheless, despite your world changing, it seems that most other people's worlds have not, something that is immediately obvious when your reverie is interrupted with a ring of the doorbell. "Excuse me, my good sir, you would not happen to have any dictionaries of ancient Greek, would you?" You see a well-dressed man with dark greased-back hair, a pencil-thin mustache, and a clipped beard. "Working on a project and I could use some assistance in the matter."
    You point him towards the appropriate section. He nods and bids you a good day.

    Arkham, 3:35 PM, October 7th, 1921

    You reenter the walls of Miskatonic University and head towards room U35. You boldly (as much as you can muster) head on in through the doors and see the other three members of the society around the table, discussing. "I wonder how Guido fared?" Professor Jones wonders aloud. Speaking of which, Jessie looks up and sees your approach.
    "Mister Malatesta! Splendid to see that you made it, now how'd everything go with Mr. Kimball? Did you find out what happened with the books, or his uncle?" Once more everyone seems to be awaiting the news with bated breath.

    Spoiler: Everett Clay
    Show
    Arkham, 4:32 PM, October 3rd, 1921

    You've returned. As you exit the motor-coach things seem... normal. Everything is seemingly peaceful within the city of Arkham. Your mind cannot help but go over the events of the last couple of days. While surely not as harrowing as what happened in Emberhead, one thing is for sure, the world is not just for humans. However deep this rabbit hole goes, you're unsure, but nevertheless, diving down it shall be a tale for another day, at least, definitely not today. You head into the Gazette; although the shift is short, you cannot help but feel exhausted from all that has happened.
    You push the door to your apartment open and arrive inside. It's refreshing to be in your bed once more, and you feel at home.

    Arkham, 11:18 AM, October 5th, 1921

    It takes some time, but you eventually find yourself back in the monotony of normal life. After what you experienced and saw, you're intrigued. There is more to this life than you know, and although all of your previous knowledge has shown otherwise, the world is much larger than it initially appears. As your thoughts are broken when a set of papers slams down on your desk. "Strong Report. On my desk. By the 7th." You quickly pour over a stack of papers and begin to cover Lucas Strong, a bigwig of the Vermont area, head of the Vermont Water Board and former owner of a successful local Vermont logging firm. Apparently, developments are beginning for a new reservoir, Somerset reservoir (according to one piece of information the reservoir was named after the old village turned small logging community), which is set to provide water for a wide variety of Vermont citizens, not just the ones in the nearby town.

    Arkham, 3:35 PM, October 7th, 1921

    You reenter the walls of Miskatonic University and head towards room U35. You boldly (as much as you can muster) head on in through the doors and see the other three members of the society around the table, discussing. "I wonder how Everett fared?" Professor Jones wonders aloud. Speaking of which, Jessie looks up and sees your approach.
    "Mister Clay! Splendid to see that you made it, now how'd everything go with Mr. Kimball? Did you find out what happened with the books, or his uncle?" Once more everyone seems to be awaiting the news with bated breath.

    ----

    I know this might sound weird, but unless the other player's character can observe what you're doing (so like here) please answer in a spoiler as well. This is just in order to help with the realism (and in a game like Call of Cthulhu, where so often things are different from person to person, this can be incredibly important.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-19 at 11:02 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler
    Show

    Everett ponders for a second, and decides not to withhold any information like he did Tomas. ”Douglas... is not himself anymore. What happened exactly, I cannot explain. Douglas himself was the thief. I told Thomas that his uncle was dead.” He folds his hands behind his back, signaling his conclusion.
    Last edited by RangerBob0011; 2019-10-24 at 08:15 AM.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Everett Clay
    Show
    The trio look intrigued by this fact, "Oh my, gone for a year or two only to return? Mighty strange indeed." You discuss the investigation a bit more amongst the other members. Eventually, the conversation turns, as Professor Jones notes how he's off to investigate a new archaeological dig site...
    "It's an expedition for fortune and glory! I've also received some bonus funding and I'll be putting it towards helping out our little group." He also tells you all that he's planning on cataloging his discoveries and submitting them to the "Society's Logs" (a rather unofficial report of whatever expeditions they go on [huh, I wonder if there's a place for all of these]). The meeting concludes and you all head out yet again to continue your lives, although all of the members seem slightly changed as well, vindicated (or confused) in their beliefs.

    Arkham, 5:25 PM, October 12th, 1921

    You happen to be conversing with Rupert again, it's a pleasant time at the same cafe as you had been to nearly a month prior. Things have changed considerably. You have a job, you have some friends, you feel... like you belong. Anyway, Rupert continues his conversation. "And so truly, this revolutionized the development of Egyptian mythology and the occult forever. The cult of Aten, one of the first major monotheistic 'religi-' *COUGH* *COUGH* 'religion' *Cough*..." The coughing fit then stops as he politely holds up a napkin up to his mouth, he doesn't want to get a "seeker of truth such as yourself" sick after all. "I'm dreadfully sorry, I think I've come down with something..."
    The conversation eventually ends pleasantly and Mr. Merriweather departs.

    Spoiler: Successful Medicine Roll
    Show
    The cough that Rupert Merriweather had, seems much more severe than he's letting on. You would presumably try and press him about it, but he assures you that "Oh, don't you worry Mister Clay, I'm getting treatment from the very best, here at St. Mary's in Arkham!" He gives you a weary smile.

    Arkham, 3:38 PM, October 14th, 1921

    Talking amongst the members of the Society, there is suddenly a knock on the door. The two students look rather confused, but Professor Jones gets to his feet and opens boldly proclaiming "Wentworth! You made it!"
    An older gentleman stands at the door. British, bald, but with a gentleman's mustache, he looks over the room and simply comments, "Hmmm... intriguing. Are there more, Nevada?" He looks towards Professor Jones who quickly shakes his head. "Well, that is fine. Greetings. I am Professor Avebury, languages is my forte, but I've recently been intrigued by several of your... discoveries, and, given that my Fridays are free, I felt that maybe I should join your little... society."
    Both Lois and Jessie immediately introduce themselves, with Jessie shaking his hand eagerly. "It's just fine to make your acquaintance Professor. I was looking to maybe take some of your classes soon." Lois simply nods and introduces herself curtly.
    Professor Avebury then turns towards you, "Greetings, sir. I do not think you have the look of a... student about you, so I apologize that I do not recognize you in the slightest. Nevertheless, what might be your name?"
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-24 at 10:24 AM.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler
    Show


    (1d100)[84] Medicine (01) (because why not try?)

    “Everett Clay, Journalist for the Arkham Gazette. I have only been a member of this society for a few days myself. It’s a pleasure to meet you, Sir.”


  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Everett Clay
    Show
    Professor Avebury gives a polite and proper smile, "Splendid to hear that Mister Clay. Again, I'm a professor of languages, and I was loaned a rather intriguing book from the time of the Roman Empire that left me with several... questions. Nothing truly fascinating, mind you, but it made me think of this "club" and I thought that this could be an interesting use of my free time."
    The group then continues into another discussion where Jessie comments about her American History class and how fascinating it was back in the late-17th century. "Why, Professor Leiter, gave one of the best lectures, I've ever seen! It was quite a fine one, comparing the developments women have made, specifically referencing the Salem Witch Trials." The conversation then takes a turn towards colonial America and what things about its history could still be uncovered (Lois comments that she considers the new field of "Revisionist History" to be really interesting).
    The discussion continues, until eventually, Professor Jones concludes with his report on the archaeological dig that occurred last week. Apparently, he and his group managed to gather some interesting finds, from a Native-American burial ground, and as he shows pictures of them he notes that "Although amazing, we also uncovered... Snakes..." The professor shudders a bit.
    Spoiler: Successful Listen Roll
    Show
    You hear him mutter under his breath, "Why'd it have to be snakes..."

    Finally, once more the meeting concludes, as your small group has grown a little bit larger, and a little bit more varied.

    Arkham, 12:27 PM, October 18th, 1921

    Mr. Flemming slams a paper on your desk. "Decent. Your writing could use a bit more work, as could your photography skills, but you're coming along." You see that it's a recent article you wrote about Declan McBride, a bootlegger who you've gathered has been trying to secure Boston for years. "Also, should've looked at the Whelan angle, Whelan's been provoking McBride from his rural operations. It's probably going to result in some pushback, McBride might even expand out as well." He strokes his chin, "But again, overall, decent article."
    You accept the praise, something rather rare to find from Mr. Flemming, and continue to work; although, as he leaves your desk he announces to the paper. "Couple weeks from now we got renovations, so it seems that all of you will be going out into the field. By the time we start up again in here, I want a fully written in-depth story, no excuses!" He then heads into his office. "Get back to work!"

    Arkham, 4:15 PM, October 21st, 1921

    You're discussing the newest report, apparently, someone from Danvers, a town an hour's drive or so out of Arkham, has reported that they've discovered a book in a language they don't understand. Immediately Professor Jones proclaims, "Why Wentworth, this would be the perfect opportunity to go! This is right up your alley, and I know that you just joined our society, but it's almost a rite of passage to go investigate something strange, eh?" He nods towards the non-professors in the group.
    Lois nods, "I don't see too much trouble there, pick up tha book, check what's goin' on, and ya' done!" Professor Avebury looks, rather, befuddled by this whole scenario. To try and encourage him, (although success seems rather unclear) Jessie chimes in.
    "Why professor, I'm sure it'll be a truly miraculous experience." You're not sure how spiritual Professor Avebury is, but you're not sure if a "miraculous experience" will persuade him. The professor holds his hands up in protestation.
    "Look, I have not truly done too much exploration and such. In addition, I have only been a member of this 'society' for barely a week. I appreciate all of your respective statements of... enthusiasm. However, I am wary of taking on such a mission." He then pauses and looks towards you. "Mister Clay, what do you think?"

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler
    Show

    [Roll]1d100 [/Roll] Listen

    “Why it sounds most exciting! It could definitely prove to be the most enlightening learning experience. Language is your forte, is it not?”

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler
    Show

    (1d100)[33] Listen (49)
    Last edited by RangerBob0011; 2019-10-24 at 02:04 PM.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    HalflingRogueGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler
    Show
    Hello everyone! Guido tells them the history that he agreed with Uncle Ghoul, but his real plan is to investigate more about Ghouls, maybe they already know about them or Mr. Merriweather? and evaluate if the members of this Society are ready to understand about the underground dwellers.

    Ohhh and our client payed this much Guido hands them the payment

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Everett Clay
    Show
    Professor Avebury nods appreciatively. "That is a fair assessment Mister Clay, thank you for your input." He then looks towards the rest of the group. "Well, it seems I shall endeavor to venture out after all." He also quickly adds in "Maybe this will offer some credence towards the supernatural, who knows?"
    With that discussion concluded, the society turns towards another discussion. This one interestingly happens to be led by you. You weren't really sure exactly what to cover, but you figured that you might as well give the society a bit of a primer to the world of journalism? You cover the inns and outs of creating and printing a paper, the effort that goes into it, the different roles, all of the technology involved. Surprisingly, the entire group is incredibly intrigued, and they leave having learned even more about the printed word.

    Arkham, 1:30 PM, October 27th, 1921

    It's your second to last day before the break, and you cannot help but feel anxious. In addition, though, what could the Society have in store for you at the next meeting?

    Arkham, 3:05 PM, October 28th, 1921

    Your final paper is done. Now you have a full week off for yourself. Some of it will, of course, be spent trying to gather resources for your next article, but overall it seems like you'll have a calm relaxing 9-day break. You've been working hard, and while the investigation into the Kimballs was... interesting, it also was rather stressful and intense. Would you really want something like that yet again? These are the thoughts buzzing through your head as you happen to notice someone else... someone whom you haven't seen before, walking towards room U35.
    ----

    I have absolutely no idea who this could possibly be! However, let me know if this all works out and then we'll actually be done with the prologue part. I hope that the one-month time skip made sense and was a least a little bit interesting to RP through. If you have nothing that you'd like to add, that's fine too, because for now we're just going to wait for the mysterious person to reach the point where they're entering the room.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Guido Malatesta
    Show
    What's a ghoul? I don't think I've ever read about that, and I don't remember writing that anywhere in any of the threads.
    ----

    The trio look slightly disappointed by the fact that it was more mundane than initially thought, but nevertheless, you succeeded. "Well, at least you scared off that burglar, but strange 'bout the uncle. Mighty strange indeed." You discuss the investigation a bit more amongst the other members. It seems quite clear that what you're describing makes sense to them, and they meanwhile have no idea about the self-professed "Others." Eventually, the conversation turns, as Professor Jones notes how he's off to investigate a new archaeological dig site...
    "It's an expedition for fortune and glory! I've also received some bonus funding and I'll be putting it towards helping out our little group." He also tells you all that he's planning on cataloging his discoveries and submitting them to the "Society's Logs" (a rather unofficial report of whatever expeditions they go on [huh, I wonder if there's a place for all of these]). The meeting concludes and you all head out yet again to continue your lives.

    Arkham, 5:25 PM, October 12th, 1921

    You happen to be conversing with Rupert again, it's a pleasant time at the same cafe as you had been to nearly a month prior. Things have changed considerably. You have a job, you have some friends, you feel... like you belong. Anyway, Rupert continues his conversation. "And so truly, this revolutionized the development of Egyptian mythology and the occult forever. The cult of Aten, one of the first major monotheistic religi- *COUGH* *COUGH* religion *Cough*..." The coughing fit then stops as he politely holds up a napkin up to his mouth, he doesn't want to get a "seeker of truth such as yourself" sick after all. "I'm dreadfully sorry, I think I've come down with something..."
    The conversation eventually ends pleasantly and Mr. Merriweather departs. You discreetly broached the topic of the "others" with him as well, but it was to no avail.

    Spoiler: Successful Psychology Roll
    Show
    Despite the fact that you gathered nothing from Mr. Merriweather, there was a slight twinkle in his eyes, almost like he knew more than he was letting on, but not in any malicious way, moreso that of a teacher watching a student learning something by themself.

    Spoiler: Successful Medicine Roll
    Show
    The cough that Rupert Merriweather had, seems much more severe than he's letting on. You would presumably try and press him about it, but he assures you that "Oh, don't you worry Mister Malatesta, I'm getting treatment from the very best, here at St. Mary's in Arkham!" He gives you a weary smile.

    Arkham, 3:38 PM, October 14th, 1921

    Talking amongst the members of the Society, there is suddenly a knock on the door. The two students look rather confused, but Professor Jones gets to his feet and opens boldly proclaiming "Wentworth! You made it!"
    An older gentleman stands at the door. British, bald, but with a gentleman's mustache, he looks over the room and simply comments, "Hmmm... intriguing. Are there more, Nevada?" He looks towards Professor Jones who quickly shakes his head. "Well, that is fine. Greetings. I am Professor Avebury, languages is my forte, but I've recently been intrigued by several of your... discoveries, and, given that my Fridays are free, I felt that maybe I should join your little... society."
    Both Lois and Jessie immediately introduce themselves, with Jessie shaking his hand eagerly. "It's just fine to make your acquaintance Professor. I was looking to maybe take some of your classes soon." Lois simply nods and introduces herself curtly.
    Professor Avebury then turns towards you, "Greetings, sir. I do not think you have the look of a... student about you, so I apologize that I do not recognize you in the slightest. Nevertheless, what might be your name?"
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-24 at 02:18 PM.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler
    Show

    Very well, I can wait. I guess it’s only kinda fair after making him do the same :)

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    HalflingRogueGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    Quote Originally Posted by zingbobco000 View Post
    Spoiler: Guido Malatesta
    Show
    What's a ghoul? I don't think I've ever read about that, and I don't remember writing that anywhere in any of the threads.
    ----

    The trio look slightly disappointed by the fact that it was more mundane than initially thought, but nevertheless, you succeeded. "Well, at least you scared off that burglar, but strange 'bout the uncle. Mighty strange indeed." You discuss the investigation a bit more amongst the other members. It seems quite clear that what you're describing makes sense to them, and they meanwhile have no idea about the self-professed "Others." Eventually, the conversation turns, as Professor Jones notes how he's off to investigate a new archaeological dig site...
    "It's an expedition for fortune and glory! I've also received some bonus funding and I'll be putting it towards helping out our little group." He also tells you all that he's planning on cataloging his discoveries and submitting them to the "Society's Logs" (a rather unofficial report of whatever expeditions they go on [huh, I wonder if there's a place for all of these]). The meeting concludes and you all head out yet again to continue your lives.

    Arkham, 5:25 PM, October 12th, 1921

    You happen to be conversing with Rupert again, it's a pleasant time at the same cafe as you had been to nearly a month prior. Things have changed considerably. You have a job, you have some friends, you feel... like you belong. Anyway, Rupert continues his conversation. "And so truly, this revolutionized the development of Egyptian mythology and the occult forever. The cult of Aten, one of the first major monotheistic religi- *COUGH* *COUGH* religion *Cough*..." The coughing fit then stops as he politely holds up a napkin up to his mouth, he doesn't want to get a "seeker of truth such as yourself" sick after all. "I'm dreadfully sorry, I think I've come down with something..."
    The conversation eventually ends pleasantly and Mr. Merriweather departs. You discreetly broached the topic of the "others" with him as well, but it was to no avail.

    Spoiler: Successful Psychology Roll
    Show
    Despite the fact that you gathered nothing from Mr. Merriweather, there was a slight twinkle in his eyes, almost like he knew more than he was letting on, but not in any malicious way, moreso that of a teacher watching a student learning something by themself.

    Spoiler: Successful Medicine Roll
    Show
    The cough that Rupert Merriweather had, seems much more severe than he's letting on. You would presumably try and press him about it, but he assures you that "Oh, don't you worry Mister Malatesta, I'm getting treatment from the very best, here at St. Mary's in Arkham!" He gives you a weary smile.

    Arkham, 3:38 PM, October 14th, 1921

    Talking amongst the members of the Society, there is suddenly a knock on the door. The two students look rather confused, but Professor Jones gets to his feet and opens boldly proclaiming "Wentworth! You made it!"
    An older gentleman stands at the door. British, bald, but with a gentleman's mustache, he looks over the room and simply comments, "Hmmm... intriguing. Are there more, Nevada?" He looks towards Professor Jones who quickly shakes his head. "Well, that is fine. Greetings. I am Professor Avebury, languages is my forte, but I've recently been intrigued by several of your... discoveries, and, given that my Fridays are free, I felt that maybe I should join your little... society."
    Both Lois and Jessie immediately introduce themselves, with Jessie shaking his hand eagerly. "It's just fine to make your acquaintance Professor. I was looking to maybe take some of your classes soon." Lois simply nods and introduces herself curtly.
    Professor Avebury then turns towards you, "Greetings, sir. I do not think you have the look of a... student about you, so I apologize that I do not recognize you in the slightest. Nevertheless, what might be your name?"

    Spoiler: Guido reply
    Show
    Hello, my name is Guido Malatesta, at your service. I'm an antiquarian and just joined the societyrecently, pleased to meet you!

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Guido Malatesta
    Show
    Professor Avebury gives a polite and proper smile, "Splendid to hear that Mister Malatesta. Again, I'm a professor of languages, and I was loaned a rather intriguing book from the time of the Roman Empire that left me with several... questions. Nothing truly fascinating, mind you, but it made me think of this "club" and I thought that this could be an interesting use of my free time."
    The group then continues into another discussion where Jessie comments about her American History class and how fascinating it was back in the late-17th century. "Why, Professor Leiter, gave one of the best lectures, I've ever seen! It was quite a fine one, comparing the developments women have made, specifically referencing the Salem Witch Trials." The conversation then takes a turn towards colonial America and what things about its history could still be uncovered (Lois comments that she considers the new field of "Revisionist History" to be really interesting).
    The discussion continues, until eventually, Professor Jones concludes with his report on the archaeological dig that occurred last week. Apparently, he and his group managed to gather some interesting finds, from a Native-American burial ground, and as he shows pictures of them he notes that "Although amazing, we also uncovered... Snakes..." The professor shudders a bit.
    Spoiler: Successful Listen Roll
    Show
    You hear him mutter under his breath, "Why'd it have to be snakes..."

    Finally, once more the meeting concludes, as your small group has grown a little bit larger, and a little bit more varied.

    Arkham, 12:27 PM, October 18th, 1921

    You're running the shop when a young man happens to pass through the doors, "Why hello there, sir." He kindly says, "I was wondering if you happened to have any books on ancient Mesopotamian religions? It's for a project at school, you see." His voice sounds of the upper crust of Boston gentry. You nod, surprisingly it's not too strange of a question. You've been asked about such things for quite some time now and it seems Miskatonic Univiersity has a thriving academic program concerning the mystic and the occult.
    You point him in the right direction and he thanks you, while also making a little side comment as he searches, "Mother and father don't really understand, but I find all of this so intriguing. I think I'll consider studying in England, you know... much to their chagrin." You never really asked for a conversation, so you shrug and nod along as any shopkeep does when confronted with a talkative customer.

    Arkham, 4:15 PM, October 21st, 1921

    You're discussing the newest report, apparently, someone from Danvers, a town an hour's drive or so out of Arkham, has reported that they've discovered a book in a language they don't understand. Immediately Professor Jones proclaims, "Why Wentworth, this would be the perfect opportunity to go! This is right up your alley, and I know that you just joined our society, but it's almost a rite of passage to go investigate something strange, eh?" He nods towards the non-professors in the group.
    Lois nods, "I don't see too much trouble there, pick up tha book, check what's goin' on, and ya' done!" Professor Avebury looks, rather, befuddled by this whole scenario. To try and encourage him, (although success seems rather unclear) Jessie chimes in.
    "Why professor, I'm sure it'll be a truly miraculous experience." You're not sure how spiritual Professor Avebury is, but you're not sure if a "miraculous experience" will persuade him. The professor holds his hands up in protestation.
    "Look, I have not truly done too much exploration and such. In addition, I have only been a member of this 'society' for barely a week. I appreciate all of your respective statements of... enthusiasm. However, I am wary of taking on such a mission." He then pauses and looks towards you. "Mister Malatesta, what do you think?"

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    HalflingRogueGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Guido
    Show
    Well, I have to say it's a great opportunity! Old book, strange language, out of town and adventure. I would gladly take your place! Or go with you, what ever you prefer

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Guido Malatesta
    Show
    Professor Avebury smiles, but holds up his hands. "While I do appreciate the enthusiasm Mister Malatesta, I think that if I am to truly become a member of your group, it should be on my own." His face takes on one of worry, "Of course, I mean no insult by this. I welcome your company; however... As Miss Russo pointed out, it should be quite simple, no?"
    Lois shrugs as she's mentioned by name, "If ya' wanna go it alone, professeh, be my guest!"
    Professor Avebury nods, "I think it would be prudent if this were to be a solitary endeavor. That way I can prove my resourcefulness, as you would, by my lonesome." He looks around towards the other members of the group expectantly who give him a nod of affirmation.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    HalflingRogueGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Guido [COLOR="#0000CD"
    Show
    ]As you wish! I would be happy to help anyway. Besides, the society hasn't assigned any mission to me lately. [/COLOR]

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Guido Malatesta
    Show
    Several other members (read: Lois) look rather annoyed at this statement, given that they haven't been on one in more than a month.

    Meanwhile, Professor Wentworth nods appreciatively. "Thank you dearly for your input, Mister Malatesta." He then looks towards the rest of the group. "Well, it seems I shall endeavor to venture out by myself." He also quickly adds in "Maybe this will offer some credence towards the supernatural, who knows?" Several glances are made towards you.
    With that discussion concluded, the society turns towards another discussion. This one interestingly happens to be led by you, discussing the care of books and appraisal of goods. The entire group is incredibly intrigued, and they leave having learned even more about the world around them.

    Arkham, 1:30 PM, October 27th, 1921

    You're informed that apparently, Arkham Rare Books and Maps is undergoing a slight renovation, so you sadly will be out of work for a week or so starting next week, nevertheless, you're being paid (somewhat) for this inconvenience, so that does leave you with a great deal of free time...

    Arkham, 3:05 PM, October 28th, 1921

    Your final exchange is done. Now you have a full week off for yourself. Overall it seems like you'll have a calm relaxing 9-day break. You've been working hard, and while the investigation into the Kimballs was... interesting, it also was rather stressful and intense. Would you really want something like that yet again? These are the thoughts buzzing through your head as you happen to notice someone else... someone whom you haven't seen before, walking towards room U35.
    ----

    I have absolutely no idea who this could possibly be! I hope that the one-month time skip made sense and was a least a little bit interesting to RP through.


    As the journalist and the antiquarian reach towards the door there's something, a jolt of sorts in the back of your minds. Something is not right here, and yet, you feel as if you know this person, while at the same time you swear that you've never seen their face before. Eventually, the two of you sort out the door issue and enter the room. "Everett, Guido, great to see that you both have made it!" Professor Jones boldly proclaims as you enter the area. As the professor finishes his declaration, the sudden realization flashes before your eyes. Of course! Guido Malatesta, a shopkeeper for Arkham Rare Books and Maps and Everett Clay, a journalist for the Arkham Gazette how could you forget? And yet, something is... off.

    You take your seats, the weird feeling in the back of your head does make you wonder about how you forgot about each other, but you shake it off, you both started coming here around the same time, it was just a minor slip in your cognition. As you sit down, Professor Avebury enters clutching a rather large sheaf of papers. "Well this is truly fascinating!" He immediately proclaims as he places the sheaf down upon a table. "The tome was interesting of course and has been added to Orne, but nevertheless I was able to take some notes." Everyone looks incredibly intrigued by this fact.
    "It seems that the book is actually a journal of sorts, but written by an Egyptian scribe, bound in Rome, and subsequently partially translated into both Latin and the Vulgate. It spells some truly interesting details, especially concerning trade amongst the Roman and Egyptian empires. The owner was frightened, of course, given the local history of the place when she found a book such as this one inside of her attic, she thought herself insane, but there was nothing to be afraid of." He smiles as his piece is done.

    There's a short round of applause for the Professor's findings.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    HalflingRogueGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    Guido joins the round of applause and cheering while approaching Everett Clay to talk "Mr. Clay, how have you been? Haven't seen you around for a while! Proggesor Avery did quite a find, didn't he? Worth to hit the news?"

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    “Why I have never been better, my friend!” Everett says, extending a hand in greeting. “I’ll have to bring it up to him sometime soon. It certainly sounds intriguing. How have you been as of late? Business treating you well?”

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    HalflingRogueGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    Quote Originally Posted by RangerBob0011 View Post
    Business treating you well?”
    Well, cant really complain I guess... I have the next nine days free from work and payed, so I guess I will have time to do some personal investigations or hope that a case from the Society is assigned to me! what about you?

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    While this side discussion is going on (reminder you're sitting in a circle), Professor Avebury shrugs, but thanks everyone for the congratulations nonetheless. "It was indeed interesting, yes, and yet I cannot help but wish there was a bit more to this than what there truly was, but alas, one cannot change such things."
    Lois looks around realizes that she's starting to be bit out of place. "Hey, jus' wanted to mention 'ere, this ain't a history club, we've got places for ya', but between the archeology, classics and language, plus another history student, n' then a seller of books, n' stuff. No 'fense 'course, but..." She gives Everett Clay a wink, "Seems we're a bit outnumbered."
    Everyone chuckles at this statement, as Professor Jones adds in, "Ah, well, I can't deny that, maybe us history folk just feel inclined towards the explaining the unexplained." He nods towards the journalist, "I mean no slight of course, Doctor Grant, anyone could be an investigator searching for answers in this little world of ours."
    Jessie plays miffed, "Why, Lois, I most certainly did not expect such harsh words." The group erupts into laughter at Jessie's performance.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    Realizing that Avebury was speaking, he leaves Guido’s question unanswered and snaps his attention back to the group. He chuckles as Lois makes her remark, “Why yes, it seems we are.”

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    HalflingRogueGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    Guido fakes a discrete chuckle, but in reality he failed to find amusement at the joke... he moves closer to the book, he really wants to inspect it!

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    Quote Originally Posted by zingbobco000 View Post
    "The tome was interesting of course and has been added to Orne,"
    Read: It is currently not on hand.
    ----

    Eventually, Professor Jones then holds up a hand to quiet everyone. "Everybody, listen up. I have important news! We've actually been hired as a group, no more simple solo expeditions for our group, eh?" He gives a beaming smile. "A landlord, named Mr. Steven Knott, has recently purchased a new home down in Boston. However, he got the house on the cheap, only to realize that he's been unable to sell it or rent it out, you see..." He pauses for dramatic effect, "Rumor has it the house is haunted!"
    Everyone gives a slight gasp, even professor Avebury makes a quiet "Oh my indeed..."
    The professor holds up his hands, "Now, Mr. Knott thinks that this is all just some hogwash after the previous tenants were involved in a tragedy, vagrants and whatnot putting a bad name, but nonetheless he wants the house's name cleared, so he's put us up to the task! Now, my hope is that we can gather a group of us, head down for a while, maybe during the week-long semester break, and see what turns up."
    Immediately the two students buzz excitedly at the prospect of investigating an actual haunted house ("Can ya' imagine investigatin' a haunted house?" and "My lord, what a find professor, I can't help but wonder what secrets lie in that house."). Meanwhile, Professor Avebury, while not as eager as the other two does look somewhat surprised, after all, he just joined this club a week ago and they're already putting him up to multiple excursions? Crazy.
    ----

    How do the both of you react?

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    Everett nods, visibly interested. He leans forward in his seat, “Who are you hoping to send? Or are you planning on leaving us up to that? I’m certainly interested myself.”

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    HalflingRogueGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    "Well, Im free for the next 9 days, so I volunteer to check that house"

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    Professor Avebury looks skeptical. "I think Mr. Knott's worries of vagrants and vagabonds seem more substantiated." However, Professor Jones shrugs in response.
    "Look, you might be right Wentworth, but where's your sense of adventure! How about this: we'll send a couple of people over on the train, they can relax over the weekend, see some of Boston, and then spend a bit of time investigating the history of the house, talking to the locals, and eventually exploring the whole thing entirely. Hopefully they'll clear out any vagrants and whatnot as you mentioned, and hopefully, there'll be some extra time to enjoy the sights of our state's capital once everything is through!"
    When both of you comment your interest, Professor Jones smiles. "Well, it sounds as if some people would like to go, eh? I think that we should send maybe three of us on the mission. If you're planning on going, who else do you think should go as well?" The four other members of Miskatonic look on eagerly.
    ----

    Check the OOC for more information.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    Eventually Professor Jones notes, "You know, I think I'd love to jump on in feet first, as if you want to be a good archeologist, you've gotta get out of the library once in a while! However, I do feel bad that Lois hasn't been on an expedition in a little while." He turns towards the engineering student. "So let me see what I can scrounge up for you while we're doing this, ok?"
    Lois beams brightly. "'Course, it'd be lovely to get out and finally go on a mission."

    Professor Jones then begins to sum up the mission to everyone, "So, to review, Mr. Knott simply wanted us to look into the house. He doesn't believe it to be haunted, instead assuming that vagrants live inside of it, however, I thought it might be interesting for our group to check why there are rumors about it being haunted and then see if they bear fruit or if there really are just some vagabonds." He finishes, hoping that his summary would do. Although he does add in a little bit extra. "Also, Mr. Knott is willing to pay a tidy sum of twenty dollars every day that we investigate, as long as we're producing results of course, along with a fine bonus of one-hundred, should we give the home a clean bill of... health? Either way, we'll just see what we can find. Best of luck to you all, and may fortune the bold!"
    The discussion then turns towards other subjects (slavery in early Providence, the uncovering of a lost Mayan relic, and more), and everything feels like a normal session at the Society for the Exploration of the Unexplained. When the group begins to disperse, Professor Jones takes you both aside, "So, are you both ready for this? We'll leave tomorrow, spend some time in the city, and then gather back and start looking into the house, researching the occupants and all on Monday. Hopefully, it won't take too long and we shall check it out afterward and have some time to ourselves." He looks towards the both of you, "Sound good?"
    ----

    Are you ready to depart? If not, please inform me of what you would like to do for the rest of the day in preparation.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-31 at 09:39 AM.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    HalflingRogueGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Gear
    Show
    I add a lantern and binoculars to my investigation gear and then I'm ready to go

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Everett Preperations
    Show
    Everett readies his camera and rests up for the short time that he’s allotted.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •