The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 150
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    Arkham, 12:00 PM, October 29th, 1921

    You both step on to the train to Boston with Professor Jones. He's still wearing nice casual clothes. The rest of the Society has also gathered to see you all off as the steamer departs from the station. They wave goodbye, and soon they are nothing more than little blips on the horizon. You all settle into your cabin and watch out the window as the Massachusetts wilderness passes you by. It's only a short trip to Boston, maybe an hour or so, but you nonetheless savor the peace and rhythm of the railroad.

    Salem, 12:28 PM, October 29th, 1921

    You pass by the famed Salem, Massachusetts. Some of you cannot help but look out and wonder at what exactly happened in this small little town. How famed the witch trials were, and yet, there's still more to learn of them, and things to learn from them...
    Meanwhile, Professor Jones is content to watch the passing villages and wilderness through the window of the train. Every now and then hands absentmindedly drifting to a necklace.

    Boston, 12:58 PM, October 29th, 1921

    The doors open to Boston Railway Station, full of people hustling and bustling about. Lois rises from her chair, picks up her suitcase handily and strides out of the car, nodding for you to follow. As you get out you hear the steam whistle of the locomotive as it begins to depart back towards Arkham, returning along the criss-crossing lines of the station.
    Professor Jones then stops and nods towards the both of you, "Mr. Knott managed to get us rooms at the Parker House hotel, we'll stop by, put our bags down, and then we have the whole weekend to ourselves."

    Spoiler: Parker House Hotel
    Show

    Boston, 1:25 PM, October 29th, 1921

    You've gotten your rooms (all singles, of average quality), set your bags down, and headed off your separate ways, each of you agreeing to reconvene on Monday so that you can begin your investigation. The city of Boston is your oyster, and you have a couple days to kill before you actually begin your investigation. Mr. Knott was also kind enough to provide an initial advance of $5 (each, and in addition to the rooms) for you both to spend as a sort of weekend spending money.
    ----

    So, what would each of your characters be doing in Boston during the weekend? How would they spend their time that is unrelated to the investigation (everyone needs a break every now and then)?
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-11-01 at 03:25 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    HalflingRogueGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    Quote Originally Posted by zingbobco000 View Post
    So, what would each of your characters be doing in Boston during the weekend? How would they spend their time that is unrelated to the investigation (everyone needs a break every now and then)?
    Spoiler: Free time
    Show
    Guido will try to find antique esoteric books related to graveyards, spirits and monsters. Anything related to the under dweller uncle

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Free Time
    Show
    Everett spends his free time wandering the city, visiting restaurants and cafes and socializing with the people he meets (and learning something about this haunted estate, if he’s lucky). He also visits some landmarks around the city, taking photos where he can.

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Guido Malatesta
    Show
    You scour bookstores and other locales, searching for any information regarding graveyards or anything possibly related to Douglas Kimball.

    Spoiler: Everett Clay
    Show
    You wander around the sights, witnessing the wondrous colonial history of Boston, along with many other spectacular tourist attractions. Your camera is being put to quite a bit of use, with the proper timing of course, though.

    Boston, 10:28 AM, October 31st (how appropriate...), 1921

    You walk towards the North End and begin to notice that, at least in this area of the district, many of the houses look newer and refurbished.



    Eventually, you both gather up with Professor Jones in front of the aforementioned house at 20 Sheafe St., North End, as Nevada looks it up and down, "Well I guess I can see the whole haunted idea comes from. Well, I say we'll do bit of poking around, check the library, maybe the Globe, city hall of records and whatnot. Hopefully they shall have something there. After all, we don't want to go running in unprepared, right? House surely has a history!" He then looks towards the both of you, "So, what do you think? Should we split up to cover more ground or should we stay together? And which one first?"
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-11-04 at 01:22 PM.

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    HalflingRogueGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    Quote Originally Posted by zingbobco000 View Post
    "Well I guess I can see the whole haunted idea comes from. Well, I say we'll do bit of poking around, check the library, maybe the Globe, city hall of records and whatnot. Hopefully they shall have something there. After all, we don't want to go running in unprepared, right? House surely has a history!" He then looks towards the both of you, "So, what do you think? Should we split up to cover more ground or should we stay together? And which one first?"

    Guido raises his hands, as in elementary school and says: "I think we should join effort and stay togheter as a multidisciplinary group, so we can learn investigations methods from each other that we can apply in the future"

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    Nevada nods, "Seems fair. How do you feel about that Everett? And if that's the case, what would you all like to investigate then?"

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    “Very well, although splitting up might save some time, I see why this could be more useful. I’m all for starting at the Boston Globe. I’m certainly well versed in that area. That is, if the two of you are willing to stand by that decision.”

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    Professor Jones smiles, "An excellent place to start, Everett. Although newspapers don't compare to analyzing a real historical artifact, they can often help one get perspective." He then turns towards Guido, "How does that sound, Guido? Off to the newspaper?"
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-11-04 at 01:36 PM.

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    HalflingRogueGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    Sure, let's go to the news paper!

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    Boston, 10:44 AM, Monday, October 31st, 1921

    Your trio heads off to The Boston Globe as you realize it's quite closeby to the Parker House Hotel. The building sits amongst several other newspapers (Boston Advertiser as an example), but is much taller than any other building in the area. You head into the building and are immediately bombarded by the sound of typewriters. Rows upon rows of typists sit, clacking away on their keys to other transcripts. Meanwhile, pneumatic tubes send rolled up missives across the different floors of the building.
    Spoiler: Everett Clay
    Show
    Everett is quite confident that this is a tightly-run ship, efficiency is key here, and they must print several issues every day (as per the norm of most large newspapers at the time).

    Meanwhile, you all stand in the mess of all this.

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    HalflingRogueGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    Guido is looking around trying to understand everything that is happening then looks to Everett and tells him "I guess you better lead here, I'm completely out of my area of expertise"

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    Everett nods and begins searching for a sort of archive where he can find more recent documentation on this particular residence. That is only if he is allowed access.

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    Professor Jones nods, "Lead the way, Everett!"

    Everett begins wandering around the multi-story complex searching for some sort of place where an archive might be. However, right as he begins looking around, a receptionist with a done-up bun and a decently-sized pile of work on her desk happens to see the three of you meandering through the building. "Hello, may I help you?"

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    “Ah yes, hello. We’re here for information regarding a sort of investigation regarding a rumored haunted residence. If you could point us in a direction that could be of use to us, that would be wonderful!”

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    The woman stares at you, confused by your rather... upfront approach. "Erm... look, I'm afraid we don't have anything concerning... hauntings... ya' might wanna... jus' go somewhere else?"
    ----

    Hmmm... turns out that talking about ghosts and hauntings to random people might make them think that you're quite crazy!

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    Everett blinks, realizing that the topics that have now begun to seem commonplace to him aren’t quite the same for everyone else. “Please, ma’am. It’s rumored for a reason, we’re trying to help this man sell his property, and just need proof that it is not haunted. As big as your organization is, you have to have some interviews of witnesses, perhaps some reports that can help clear the name of the residence, somewhere around here.”
    Last edited by RangerBob0011; 2019-11-04 at 06:58 PM.

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    Please give me an Appearance or Credit Rating roll.

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    (1d100)[93] Appearance (60)

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    She just continues to stare at your blathering. "Look, I really can't help ya'. I have no idea who or what you're referrin' to, n' I have tons a work that I 'ave to complete, sorry."
    She then begins to focus on a large stack of papers for her work.
    ----

    At this point, she's gone from neutral to unfriendly. You can try to convince her with some sort of social skill, but otherwise she's not really going to help you out.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-11-04 at 07:03 PM.

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    “I won’t be any trouble for you for too long. Once you point us in the right direction, we’ll be on our way. Surely a small nudge would take a minuscule amount of your time and do wonders for ours. We’re trying to do good for another man in need. Surely you can’t turn down a chance to aid such an act?”

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    (1d100)[50] Social Check

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    Using logic, logic, and more logic, virtually no friendliness/charm, and it doesn't appear like you're trying to bamboozle her in any way. Then again, you are noting that you're trying to be fast, so I'm calling this a: Combined Fast Talk and Hard Persuade (because you mentioned it would not be "too long," and Persuade to be at full effectiveness takes time) where one must succeed. Luckily for you, you just barely succeeded!
    ----

    She sighs as her shoulders deflate. "Fine, tha' right direction is up tha' stairs, n' take a left - Arty Wilmot's office."

    Spoiler: Successful Psychology Roll
    Show
    You notice a slight tick - a grimace, almost like the receptionist is... disgusted? Fearful? Sad? You can't quite place it exactly.
    Spoiler: Hard Success
    Show
    Whatever it is, it seems clear that she is not a fan of the this Arty Wilmot.

    Departing, Nevada thanks the receptionist for her time and gestures to the flight of stairs leading upwards. "One thing that I've noticed is that people don't take our 'investigations' with the greatest of understanding, you see. Sometimes I've found it to be more beneficial to simply ask for the actual piece of information I desire rather then go on and on about why I desire it in the first place! People give me fewer strange looks." He chuckles and gives a wry smile. "But hey, at least we're getting somewhere, right?"
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-11-04 at 08:03 PM.

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    Everett makes a similar gesture of thanks before leading the way, grinning, “I have certainly learned my lesson, as that has never been an issue in the past for me.”

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    Dr. Jones looks rather surprised by that statement, but nevertheless shrugs and moves on.
    ----

    Just now waiting on the Psychology rolls from you and Ode (and Ode's confirmation post).

  25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    Whoops, that’s right.

    (1d100)[79] Psychology (46)

  26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    HalflingRogueGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    Psycology roll []
    Last edited by OdeMx; 2019-11-05 at 12:08 AM.

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    HalflingRogueGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    Psychology Roll (1d100)[35]

  28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    Navigating the long rows of typists and secretaries running about is challenging, but Everett is at least somewhat used to the hustle and bustle of a newspaper (unlike Guido and Professor Jones). Eventually, the lot of you manage to make it up to the next floor.
    You both realize there's quite a bit of construction going on on this floor, ladders and painters are practically an aspect of the furniture, which the strong workers easily navigate under and around. Eventually, you find yourself in front of a small but sizable office.
    A rotund man leans back in his chair and lights a cigarette as you enter. "So, look wat the cat dragged in, some sorta Mrs. Grundy (read: someone who appears to be rather uptight or straight-laced) and a couple a bookworms... Wadda ya' want wit' dear old Arty Wilmot?" The man places special emphasis on the last couple of words, feigning naivete and innocence (not of any crime, just general innocence).

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    “Er, good day, Mr. Wilmont. We’re here regarding information on a particular residence, 20 Sheafe St., North End. We were pointed to you. I suppose you could help us find stories, interviews, or notes regarding this subject.”

  30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

    The rotund man leans in towards you. "Ah! I see wat's goin' on, we got ourselves a snoop! Ya' lookin' fer trouble ain'tcha. Well, ya' best know one thing. Snoops don't get nothin' outa me, especially a buncha shabby lookin' randos, or my isn't Arty Wilmot." He then folds his hands over his chest, looking smug while he puffs on his cigar.
    Nevada looks upset by his description as a "shabby looking random person."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •