New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

"No sorry, I just took note of their names, that was the only information on the newspaper note"

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Professor Jones sighs sadly, "Ah well... hope you're down for some good old-fashioned sleuthing then, eh, Everett? Anyway, if that's all, I guess I'll see you both in the morning." Professor Jones then smiles and departs for his room.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Guido says good night and also departs to rest.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Everett Chuckles, "I'll see what I can do." With that, he bids the other two good night and heads off to bed.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Boston, 9:18 AM, Wednesday, November 2nd, 1921

You both awake to a wondrous breakfast of waffles. A new day dawns but now it seems that this mystery goes even deeper than expected. Professor Jones is also ready to head out, now adorning even more casual clothes then before, but nevertheless good for walking. "Ok, so what are we thinking exactly, Everett you'll use your journalistic skills to try and find Mr. Marcario and Mr. Dooley while Guido and I search some more? Does that sound right?" He pours a nice amount of syrup upon his breakfast and digs in.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by zingbobco000 View Post
    "Ok, so what are we thinking exactly, Everett you'll use your journalistic skills to try and find Mr. Marcario and Mr. Dooley while Guido and I search some more? Does that sound right?"

"Yes, I believe we need to find the late Mr. Corbitt Will, how the lawsuit against him ended and what happened to the last occupants. If we can figure out that, we can surely understand the bad rep of the house and inform the owner."
    Last edited by OdeMx; 2019-11-30 at 01:03 PM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Professor Jones nods along, "Makes sense to me! Everett do you have any thoughts before we split up for today?"
    ----

Did you wish to change your color? If so, that's fine, I'm just wondering.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

----

Did you wish to change your color? If so, that's fine, I'm just wondering.[/QUOTE]

OOC
    Nope sorry, Im using purple with my other PbP game just got confused!

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

“I don’t believe that there is anything. I’ll be on my way before long. Good luck, both of you!”

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Guido Malatesta
    Show
    Professor Jones smiles at you as you leave the Parker House Hotel, "So, Guido, you mentioned we should continue to look for the will and the lawsuit, correct? Should we head to the Hall of Records then? Or do you think we should continue our investigation of the library?" He gestures to the entirety of the city. "The whole city is our oyster, eh, Guido!" Then tips his fedora and awaits your input.

Spoiler: Everett Clay
    Show
    You exit the Parker House Hotel, standing on the streets of Boston. The whole city is open to you, what would you like to do?

11. - Top - End - #131
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Spoiler: SPoil
    Show

[QUOTE=zingbobco000;24289667]
    Show
    Professor Jones smiles at you as you leave the Parker House Hotel, "So, Guido, you mentioned we should continue to look for the will and the lawsuit, correct? Should we head to the Hall of Records then? Or do you think we should continue our investigation of the library?" He gestures to the entirety of the city. "The whole city is our oyster, eh, Guido!" Then tips his fedora and awaits your input.

My good professor, to be very honest I would rather go to the library and try to find every possible clue from old books or newspapers, but sadly I believe at this point the proper action will be to go the City Hall and try to find those documents. So, lets head to the Hall of Records!

Last edited by OdeMx; 2019-12-02 at 05:19 PM.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    Boston, 9:33 AM, Wednesday, November 2nd, 1921

It's a very quick walk to City Hall on 45 School St., home of the City Council. You pass by a statue of Ben Franklin along the way and see many tourists entering the hallowed halls and getting a tour of the fifty-year-old establishment. As you enter you're quickly directed to the hall of records, as you see a great number of files, shelves, and carts. One could easily get lost in here. Professor Jones looks around, "Everett and I came into contact with a young clerk here. Perhaps she could be of assistance again." He heads off for but a moment and returns with a young woman pushing a cart with a myriad of files atop it.
    The woman takes off her glasses and places them atop her blonde done-up hair, "Hello, I'm-a, Leslie Jenkins-a, Professor Jones was just tellin' me how you both might be needin' my services again?"
    ----

Please give me an Appearance or Credit Rating roll with a Bonus Die (because Everett already succeeded in his, but you're a different person. An associate, but different) as you're talking to this woman. It's more for posterity so it won't affect anything right away.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Spoiler: Guido Malatesta Rolls
    Show

Show
    Boston, 9:33 AM, Wednesday, November 2nd, 1921

It's a very quick walk to City Hall on 45 School St., home of the City Council. You pass by a statue of Ben Franklin along the way and see many tourists entering the hallowed halls and getting a tour of the fifty-year-old establishment. As you enter you're quickly directed to the hall of records, as you see a great number of files, shelves, and carts. One could easily get lost in here. Professor Jones looks around, "Everett and I came into contact with a young clerk here. Perhaps she could be of assistance again." He heads off for but a moment and returns with a young woman pushing a cart with a myriad of files atop it.
    The woman takes off her glasses and places them atop her blonde done-up hair, "Hello, I'm-a, Leslie Jenkins-a, Professor Jones was just tellin' me how you both might be needin' my services again?"
    ----

Please give me an Appearance or Credit Rating roll with a Bonus Die (because Everett already succeeded in his, but you're a different person. An associate, but different) as you're talking to this woman. It's more for posterity so it won't affect anything right away.

Appearance [roll0]
    Bonus die [roll1]

14. - Top - End - #134
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

[QUOTE=OdeMx;24289816]
    Spoiler: Guido Malatesta Rolls
    Show

Show

Appearance (1d100)[55]
    Bonus die (1d10)[7]

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    Miss Jenkins smiles, "So... uh... what can I help ya' with, sir?"

16. - Top - End - #136
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Spoiler: Everett
    Show

Everett starts by visiting the estate, keen on possibly talking to a neighbor or two while there, hopefully learning something about the Corbitt Estate’s previous occupants.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Show
    Miss Jenkins smiles, "So... uh... what can I help ya' with, sir?"
    Guido smiles back "Thank you very much Miss Jenkins, we are looking for information regarding a house located at 20 Sheafe St., North End we know at some point it belonged to an odd gentlemann called Walter Corbitt, he passed away back in 1866, according to the newspapers, this Gentleman had a bad relation with his neighboars and he was sued a couple time because he wanted to be interred in his house.

So... we are looking for:
    • Mr. Corbitt will
    • The lawsuits against him and defunction act to know his last resting place
    • The owners of the house in 20 Sheafe St., North End after 1866 to date

Could you please help us gathering that information?

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    Boston, 9:39 AM, Wednesday, November 2nd, 1921

After a short walk you eventually return to the original site of the house at 20 Sheafe St., from there, you ask around concerning the home, but apparently very few people actually know about it. Most of this area is a blossoming commercial district (except for the house in question). The office buildings are by no means skyscrapers, but they're nevertheless quite tall and full of people who only work here. Several office workers look at you strangely, as you can't help but feel that you're financially out of place in this area (with the exception of the house in question of course).
    Eventually, one worker in particular, convinced by your can-do journalistic attitude and questioning, points out a small stand with several newspapers. Apparently, the salesman knows everything about this block. It doesn't take too long to see the vendor himself, an elderly man with wisps of gray hair, unshaven, and a beer belly about him. You see that most of what he sells consist of raunchy tabloids and cheap cigars, which for some reason or another the office workers must pick up if he's still in business. He doesn't fully look at you from behind his paper, but he clearly notices your presence as he gruffly spits out "Ya' just gonna stand there gawkin'? Wadda' ya' want?"
    ----

Please give me a Combined Appearance and Credit Rating roll where only one must succeed.

Show
    Miss Jenkins looks quite overwhelmed, while Professor Jones nudges Guido, "Hey, Guido, she's just trying to help, ok, you don't need to go on a massive shpiel to get her assistance." He turns away and smiles towards the clerk who's trying to make sense of everything Guido just told her.
    Eventually, she speaks. "Well-a, you'll be lookin' then at several different places." She then starts pointing at a variety of different aisles. "Aisle B is personal information, any civil cases would be-a aisle D, and in terms of property ownership you've got Aisle I." She then returns to her job, reshelving and reorganizing the hall of records. "Hope you-a find whateva' yer lookin' fer!"
    Meanwhile, Professor Jones looks towards you. "Well, unless you can make copies of yourself, like something out of a pulp novel." He chuckles. "So then, which one first?"

19. - Top - End - #139
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Show

(1d100)[10] Appearance (60) + Credit Rating (20)

“Good morning, you wouldn’t happen to be Mr. Dooley, would you?”

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    Note that Credit Rating cannot be improved by succeeding on a skill. You don't become wealthier by appearing wealthy.
    ----

The man puts down his newspaper and looks up at you, confused why exactly you're here. He looks around for a moment, almost like he's expecting something to jump out at him for some reason. "Er... yeah, yeah, I'm Mr. Dooley, tha's me. Ya' wanna buy a paper, sir?" He holds out a copy of The Boston American, and simply by the declaration on the front cover "Harding New Extramarital Affair? More Scandal in the White House?" you can determine its veracity.
    ----

Fun fact: this actually did happen, albeit the idea at the time such a title would be quite shocking.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Show

He takes a glance at the newspaper and shakes his head, “Ah- no, thank you. I’ve come to ask you a few questions, if you wouldn’t mind, regarding one of your past neighbors, Mr. Marcario.”

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    There's a flash of disappointment on Mr. Dooley's face when you say you're not interested as he then looks towards the rest of his shop. "Sorry, ya' know my memory ain't what it used ta' be." He's still holding out the newspaper. "If only there was some way ta' jog it or somethin'."

23. - Top - End - #143
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Spoiler: Guido
    Show
    "[B][COLOR="#DAA520"]Aisle B is personal information
    any civil cases would be-a aisle D,
    and in terms of property ownership you've got Aisle I.

"Well, unless you can make copies of yourself, like something out of a pulp novel." He chuckles. "So then, which one first?"
    Spoiler: Guido 2
    Show
    Guido looks professor Jones surprised... "I was trying to be more specific in what I wanted to find, wasnt my intention to scare her... Anyway, I believe we should go to Aisle D to understand the nature of the troiubles of the neighbours vs Mr. Corbitt"
    [/SPOILER]
    Last edited by OdeMx; 2019-12-05 at 07:05 AM.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Show

“Oh, of course. Anything I can do to help.” Everett pays him the necessary price for the paper, and gives its contents a quick look over as to not disappoint.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    Professor Jones shrugs, "I guess it's all about interpretation, isn't it. Regardless, what's done is done. Let's head out there." He then strides off towards aisle D. You quickly follow the professor and begin to look over every civil case, searching for anything that relates to Corbitt.

Spoiler: Successful Library Use Roll
    Show
    Spoiler: Normal Success (Not Hard/Extreme)
    Show
    Boston, 1:02 PM, Wednesday, November 2nd, 1921
    Spoiler: Hard Success (Not Normal/Extreme)
    Show
    Boston, 11:13 AM, Wednesday, November 2nd, 1921
    Spoiler: Extreme Success (Not Normal/Hard)
    Show
    Boston, 10:21 AM, Wednesday, November 2nd, 1921

You don't find too much searching here. The first lawsuit concerning his removal doesn't really contain a lot of new information. He was a terrible neighbor, so many people signed a petition, but because there were no actual accounts of illegal activity, they couldn't really remove him from the property. Meanwhile, the second lawsuit was simply dismissed by the city council (Councilman Daniel Ellsworth if it matters). Professor Jones looks at the "discovery" with sadness. "Huh... guess that didn't really pan out too great. Do you want to keep looking to see if there's anything else? Or would you rather check on one of the other aisles?" He gestures around towards the rest of the Hall of Records.
    ----

You may, of course, continue to search here for additional information, or you can head to another aisle, or you can head to a completely different location!

Spoiler: Failed Library Use Roll
    Show
    Boston, 12:31 PM, Wednesday, November 2nd, 1921

Professor Jones sighs as you look over even more cases. "I don't know Guido, this is all looking... empty. Are you sure we'll find something here? Maybe we're better off searching one of the other aisles?"
    ----

You may, of course, continue to search here for additional information, or you can head to another aisle, or you can head to a completely different location!

Show
    The man smiles as you offer to purchase a paper, showing you a row of teeth that probably could use some brushing. “Yeah... yeah it's all comin' back to me. I knows about tha' Corbitt House.
    His eyes flicker from side to side, as if checking that no one else is watching. “Folk moved in n' out a' that place right fast, but the last, were tha' Marcarios. Moved in a few years back. Nice people, ‘though their pesky kids always poking their noses where they weren’t wanted. ‘bout a year later old Mr. Macario up and went all crazy, shoutin' and rantin'! Whole neighborhood'd hear him hollerin' and smashin' up the house. Kept screamin' about burnin' eyes staring out at him. Complete screwball if you asks me.” Dooley stops suddenly stops talking and stares off into the distance…
    However his hands do move, handing out couple of papers as you exchange a few more cents. He then turns back to you, his face a now wicked grin adorned by one telling a sort of ghost story. You can smell the liquor on his breath, however. "Well, if I recollect rightly, soon after, Mrs. Macario also went doolally. They are both locked up now in the mad house at Roxbury or Danvers. Don’t reckon I remember what became of the kids, but I think there was somethin' 'bout an aunt down 'n Baltimore..."

Spoiler: Successful Combined History Roll and Hard Know (Education) Roll Where Only One Must Succeed
    Show
    You know that "Roxbury" and "Danvers" most likely refer to Roxbury Sanitarium and Danvers State Hospital (or "The State Lunatic Hospital" as it's sometimes called) respectively. Roxbury Sanitarium is known as the far gentler one, but that's not saying very much. Danver State Hospital has had a rather poor history, although you recall reading that it was improving in that as of late.

His story finished, he then tips his hat to you, "Thanks fer yer genorosity, fella."

26. - Top - End - #146
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Spoiler: Guido Roll
    Show
    Library use:(1d100)[10]

27. - Top - End - #147
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Show
    Guido nods in agreement to profesor Jones "lets check if we have better luck with aisle B"
    Last edited by OdeMx; 2019-12-05 at 03:49 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    Also, not that it matters, but don't forget the Bonus Die from Professor Jones' help.
    ----

You both head off towards aisle B, looking through personal records relating to Walter Corbitt.

Spoiler: Successful Library Use Roll
    Show
    Spoiler: Normal Success (Not Hard/Extreme)
    Show
    Boston, 2:02 PM, Wednesday, November 2nd, 1921
    Spoiler: Hard Success (Not Normal/Extreme)
    Show
    Boston, 12:13 PM, Wednesday, November 2nd, 1921
    Spoiler: Extreme Success (Not Normal/Hard)
    Show
    Boston, 11:35 AM, Wednesday, November 2nd, 1921

At first you begin by gathering the basic information. Apparently the man was born January 14, 1798, and died June 20, 1866.

He ran his own business as an Attorney at Law specializing as a defense attorney with a penchant for religious freedom lawsuits. Other than that, there appears to be limited information on the man, with the exception that he does, in fact, after digging for a while, have a will on record.

Spoiler: Successful Language (English) Roll
    Show
    Last Will and Testament of Walter Corbitt, Esquire

Walter Corbitt, Esquire 1798-1866
    Last Will and Testament 1866
    State of Massachusetts
    County of Suffolk

I, Walter Corbitt, of the County of Suffolk and State of Massachusetts, being in perfect health of body and mind, do make and ordain this my last will and testament in the following manner.

ITEM the first, I give to the Chapel of Contemplation, Copp's Hill, Boston, Massachusetts, all of my possessions, including my copy of <REDACTED> and my property at 20 Sheafe Street in Copp's Hill.
    ITEM the second, I direct my executor to lease my property at 20 Sheafe Street, using the proceeds to fund the church.
    ITEM 3rd, I wish my body be interred in the basement of the property at 20 Sheafe Street, as specified by the instructions left to my Executor.
    ITEM 4th, I appoint Pastor Michael Thomas of the Chapel of Contemplation in Copp's Hill, Boston, Massachusetts, as my Executor to this my last will & testament, this is the 17th day of July AD 1865.

Signed, Walter Corbitt, Esquire

Professor Jones looks over the will with surprise, "Well then... here's some new information..."
    ----

Spoiler: Failed Library Use Roll
    Show
    Boston, 1:31 PM, Wednesday, November 2nd, 1921

At first you begin by gathering the basic information. Apparently the man was born January 14, 1798, and died June 20, 1866.

He ran his own business as an Attorney at Law specializing as a defense attorney with a penchant for religious freedom lawsuits. Other than that, there appears to be limited information on the man. Professor Jones looks confused though, "Well, this is where a will would be, right? Surely there must be something here!" He looks towards you, gesturing in the direction of all the papers and files.
    ----

29. - Top - End - #149
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Spoiler: Guidos Rolls
    Show
    Library use = (1d100)[30]
    Bonus roll = Library use = (1d100)[100]

30. - Top - End - #150
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy