Show

(1d100)[47] Education + Know

2. - Top - End - #152
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting IC

Spoiler: Everett
    Show

"And yours too." he leans in closer, "One last thing. Do you, by chance, know of Macario's whereabouts today?"
    Last edited by RangerBob0011; 2019-12-07 at 06:08 PM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

For reference...
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by zingbobco000 View Post
    Spoiler: Everett Clay
    Show
    "Well, if I recollect rightly, soon after, Mrs. Macario also went doolally. They are both locked up now in the mad house at Roxbury or Danvers. Don’t reckon I remember what became of the kids, but I think there was somethin' 'bout an aunt down 'n Baltimore..."

4. - Top - End - #154
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Show

Oh, whoops. My bad. Would a “madhouse”/sanitarium like this be commonly accessible by someone such as Everett?

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    Most sanitariums have "visiting hours" should one wish to visit with patients. Others require for you to set appointments. It depends on the asylum/sanatarium.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Show

In that case...
    Everett bids good day to the salesman and heads off to the sanitarium to see what he can learn from the Macarios.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    Which sanatarium... also... note where the sanatoriums are and where you are (feel free to use Google Maps for Danvers and Roxbury). It'd probably be a train ride away.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Spoiler: Guido action
    Show
    [QUOTE=zingbobco000;24294909]

Professor Jones looks over the will with surprise, "Well then... here's some new information..."
    ----

You may, of course, continue to search here for additional information, or you can head to another aisle, or you can head to a completely different location!

Guido laughs in amazement and nods to professor Jones “I agree with you Professor, and I already have a theory but would like to check something else 1st… When did the church decided to sell the house and how many people have owned that house since that time?
    Mr. Corbitt was a really odd fellow. “

Guido will investigate property ownership from Corbitt death to the actual owner.

Last edited by OdeMx; 2019-12-09 at 10:56 AM.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Guido Malatesta
    Show
    Professor Jones nods, "That's what I hope we find, I guess!" He then heads out and calls "Miss Jenkins, where were the property records again?" A short while passes and the record clerk returns, holding a variety of files.
    "Ah, well-a, you'll be lookin' at Aisle I, then." She nods and starts organizing the files she was carrying in your aisle. Meanwhile, Professor Jones nods off towards where Miss Jenkins pointed, and you both begin to head there and look through information.

Spoiler: Successful Library Use
    Show
    Spoiler: Normal Success (Not Hard/Extreme)
    Show
    Boston, 4:22 PM, Wednesday, November 2nd, 1921
    Spoiler: Hard Success (Not Normal/Extreme)
    Show
    Boston, 2:34 PM, Wednesday, November 2nd, 1921
    Spoiler: Extreme Success (Not Normal/Hard)
    Show
    Boston, 1:37 AM, Wednesday, November 2nd, 1921

You search for some time, but in reality, there is not too much information regarding the ownership of 20 Sheafe St., Boston, MA. First, it was owned by Henry Webber in 1834. Then it was transferred to Walter Corbitt Esq. in 1835. After this, it was transferred to <REDACTED> in 1866. Next, it was transferred to Citibank in 1912. Finally, it was purchased by Steven Knott from Citibank in 1920

Professor Jones looks over everything, "Hmm... I'm unsure if this helps us too much, albeit I'm unsure why it's redacted."
    ----

You may, of course, continue to search here for additional information, or you can head to another aisle, or you can head to a completely different location!

Spoiler: Failed Library Use Roll
    Show
    Boston, 3:31 PM, Wednesday, November 2nd, 1921

You've searched for quite a while, and you haven't been able to find anything. You guess that Miss Jenkins hasn't fully organized this aisle as things are out of place and it's quite a mess to sort through.
    ----

10. - Top - End - #160
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Spoiler: Guido Roll
    Show
    Library Use (1d100)[78]
    Library Bonus die (1d10)[7]

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Spoiler: Guido Roll
    Show
    Guido will invest more time trying to find out in Aisle I

Library Use (1d100)[94]
    Bonus die (1d10)[1]

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    Boston, 5:00 PM, Wednesday, November 2nd, 1921

You continue your search for quite some time, but in reality, there is not too much information regarding the ownership of 20 Sheafe St., Boston, MA. First, it was owned by Henry Webber in 1834. Then it was transferred to Walter Corbitt Esq. in 1835. After this, it was transferred to <REDACTED> in 1866. Next, it was transferred to Citibank in 1912. Finally, it was purchased by Steven Knott from Citibank in 1920

Professor Jones looks over everything, "Hmm... I'm unsure if this helps us too much, albeit I'm unsure why it's redacted."
    Right as he notes this Miss Jenkins comes by, her cart now empty. "I'm afraid that-a, we're closin' now. Feel free ta' come back latah though." Professor Jones nods and heads out the doors of the hall.
    ----

So... back to the Parker House Hotel, I guess?

13. - Top - End - #163
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Spoiler: Guido Action
    Show

So... back to the Parker House Hotel, I guess?
    “Quite strange in deed, but, according to the Will at least we can deduce that the redacted part must be either Pastor Michael Thomas or the Chapel of Contemplation in Copp's Hill, right?"

"We better head back to the Hotel, It wasnt a very productive day I have to admit..."

14. - Top - End - #164
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Show

Everett goes with his gut, trying the Roxbury sanitarium which is slightly closer in proximity. On his way out, he stops by the hotel to drop off a note addressed to Guido and Dr. Jones, asking for the receptionist to pass it on to the two if they come back before he does.

Off to Roxbury for investigative purposes, we will talk when I return. I shall be back this evening if all goes well.

Best,
    Everett Clay

Last edited by RangerBob0011; 2019-12-12 at 07:47 PM.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    Boston, 9:58 AM, Wednesday, November 2nd, 1921

You bring up the question of transport to the concierge, who, referencing the train schedule notes that trains from the South Station leave at 10 AM, 1 PM, and 6 PM and take around an hour to get to Danvers. Meanwhile, trains to Roxbury leave at 10 AM and 4 PM and take around 30 minutes to get to there. In terms of motor coaches, you'd probably have to reserve one at least a day in advance (it'll most likely depend on a combined Credit Rating and Luck roll where both would have to succeed).

You are able to put in your note should you so wish, though.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Show

Everett tries for the 10:00 Roxbury train, seeing as it departs in only a few minutes.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    Given that you're trying to make a 13 or so minute walk in... one minute as well as purchase tickets in the other minute please give me a Combined Extreme Constitution and Extreme Luck roll where both must succeed.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Show

Ah, I was under the impression that I was already at the train station for some reason. In that case...
    Everett makes his way to the train station, perhaps stopping for a bite to eat while waiting for the 1:00 train to Danvers instead.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    Ok... well... prepare for a long post...
    ----

You get a nice spot of some lunch at a local pizzeria, and from there it doesn't take too long to leaf through a couple of spare magazines and other periodicals while you wait for the train. The station is quite busy, full of citizens rushing around, each with a specific goal in mind. Regardless, time eventually passes and you board the train to Danvers.

A local taxi takes you on a winding drive up a rural hillside through a set of tall iron gates which lead to the sprawling hospital at Danvers. Featuring a central building with a front tower, flanked by angular adjoining wards, the asylum’s layout suggests a bat with outstretched wings. Numerous outbuildings surround the main complex, as do copses of broadleaf and evergreen trees. Grassy fields and woodland ring the hill. Normally a beautiful vista, there is a leaden, dulled quality to the scene.
    A large oval reservoir is set into the western slope of Hathorne Hill, surrounded on three sides by trees; its eastern shore faces the asylum. The surface of the reservoir has an odd, almost metallic blue-grey sheen. A semi-circular amphitheater occupies the eastern slope of the hill, its backdrop the shore of the reservoir. The amphitheater appears to be a fairly new construction.

Spoiler: Successful Power Roll
    Show
    This area feels... strange.

Spoiler: Extreme Success
    Show
    There's a disconcerting thought, almost like the asylum is somehow “aware” of your presence and hostile to your visit. Each vacant, staring window appears to be a cold, soulless eye boring into your most private thoughts.

Spoiler: Failed Power Roll
    Show
    As you gaze upon the horrid place there's a sudden visceral sensation of palpable dread, which eats away at your mind.
    ----

You lose 1 point of Sanity due to this strange discomfort.

A leaden gloom pervades the atmosphere of the place, leeching away happiness and hope. Regardless, you bid the taximan adieu "Thanks fer the change, bud. Never wanted ta' go ta' this place though. I hates the screams." and head inside.

Within the cheerless interior of the central administration building, investigators notice a strong antiseptic odor and freshly mopped floors. Grillwork covers all windows. Listless, gown-clad patients slump in wooden chairs or shuffle about aimlessly. You head up towards a severe-looking desk nurse who brusquely says. "Lemme just fetch the superintendent. I'm not sure 'bout visitin' hours today." She then gets up and heads off. "Oh Dr. Berger!"

Spoiler: Successful Spot Hidden Roll
    Show
    Half of the nurse’s left ear appears to have been chewed or torn away. Erg...

It doesn't take too long for the nurse to return and quickly note that "The doctor will see you now." before returning to her work.

Dr. Berger is a stern, unfriendly man in his late thirties, dressed in a white lab coat, with an officious-looking clipboard. His office features numerous framed diplomas and certifications, a large desk, several overburdened file cabinets, and a curious painting of St. George and the Dragon. In this version of the painting the dragon is mauling St. George; his eviscerated horse lies nearby. The painting is particularly detailed and quite gruesome.
    There is also a framed Salem News photograph of a younger, happier-looking Dr. Berger shaking hands in front of the hospital’s central administration building with a smiling, bespectacled older man. The caption under the photograph reads Dr. James Berger takes over Danvers State Asylum from Dr. William Shine.

From there it's quite a simple matter when it comes to inquiries concerning the Marcarios. "Ah, sir, I am afraid that there is nobody here under the name 'Marcario.' It seems that your efforts have been for naught, I am afraid. If only you had simply given us a call before you set out, I am sure that we could have sorted such matters out with you not having to waste your time. I am also afraid that Danvers has a strict visitation policy, my good sir. Without some form of prior connection or certification, one cannot visit patients, so regardless, I am afraid you are 'out of luck' as they say. I wish you the best on your return trip, though."

Spoiler: Successful Psychology Roll
    Show
    You get the sense that he's generally being truthful about everything. He knows nothing of the Marcarios, and even if he did (which he does not) he wouldn't be able to let you see them.

Spoiler: Hard Success
    Show
    However... there's something else too. You get the feeling that he doesn't really enjoy the fact that a reporter is poking around an asylum, but then again, it's the 1920s... and an asylum... (look up the treatments for patients in asylums in the 1920s for what I mean). Regardless, this clearly doesn't have any bearing on your case.

One train ride later (you catch the 6-o'-clock train back), and you've returned in Boston... one more day down, and two more left.

Show
    Boston, 5:03 PM, Wednesday, November 2nd, 1921

You return to the Parker House Hotel with Lois as the concierge greets you. "Ah! Yer tha' companions a' Mr. Clay, right?" Lois nods in affirmation. "Strangest thing, man wrote this note, but then left fer tha' station with only two minutes ta' catch tha' train. Maybe he caught the second one? But then 'e'd be there for the whole night, next train back wouldn't leave 'till tomorrow." The concierge shakes his head. "Weird guy."

The note itself reads:
    Off to Roxbury for investigative purposes, we will talk when I return. I shall be back this evening if all goes well.

Best,
    Everett Clay

Professor Jones looks at you with concern, "Hmm... Roxbury? Strange, I guess that must be where the Marcarios are? Well, it's the evening, and according to that concierge, he won't be back until morning. I guess a dinner and some work would be nice, and we can see if he returns soon!"
    ----

Sorry, there was a lot...

20. - Top - End - #170
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Show

(1d100)[85] Power (70)
    (1d100)[82] Spot Hidden (10)
    (1d100)[18] Psychology (46)
    Last edited by RangerBob0011; 2019-12-18 at 09:40 AM.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Show

“I expected as much,” he says to the doctor, “I was running short on time to begin with. I’m sorry to bother you, have a good day, sir.”
    With that, he leaves the building with hasty steps, eager to be rid of the unnerving atmosphere.
    Last edited by RangerBob0011; 2019-12-18 at 09:43 AM.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    So.. what next? You've just arrived back in Boston, so... to the hotel (it is around 6ish by now)?

23. - Top - End - #173
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Spoiler: Guido action
    Show
    Boston, 5:00 PM, Wednesday, November 2nd, 1921

Right as he notes this Miss Jenkins comes by, her cart now empty. "I'm afraid that-a, we're closin' now. Feel free ta' come back latah though."[/I]
    After reading Everetts note, Guido thinks for a couple seconds and tell the Professor "Professor, considering Everett is probably coming back until tomorrow morning, what do you think if we head back to the hall? Miss Jenkins said that we could go back later. Maybe she can help us find some aditional information, we could grab a bite on a diner with her? What document did Mr. Corbitt left to the Church, and why is legal information edited? dont you find it odd? what do you think?"

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    The professor nods, "Why of course I find it odd. However, I assumed she had meant tomorrow. You're welcome to check, though."

25. - Top - End - #175
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Spoiler: Guido
    Show
    Show
    The professor nods, "Why of course I find it odd. However, I assumed she had meant tomorrow. You're welcome to check, though."
    "ok professor, you are better reading people, lets wait for our friend!"

26. - Top - End - #176
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Show

Everett returns to the hotel to wait until Guido and Jones arrive, if they haven’t returned already.