New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kobold

Default Play yourself in d&d how do you stat yourself.

So I want to do a one shot where my players are them self but wired fantasy stuff starts showing and happing. So who do you come up with stats.

It dont have to really really accurate. Just some fun things to do like every set of 5 push ups you can do = +1 to your str stat.
    Last edited by Throne12; 2019-10-17 at 05:31 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Play yourself in d&d how do you stat yourself.

This site offers a quiz to translate your human attributes to the D&D system. http://www.kevinhaw.com/add_quiz.php

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Here's one that gives you class, level, alignment and stats

http://www.easydamus.com/character.html

4. - Top - End - #4

BardGuy

I've always thought if I were to do this I'd invite my players to stat themselves with each stat as the best they felt it was at any point in their life.
    If 10 yo you thought you were a genius, go ahead and put that 18 in int!
    Went to the gym heaps that one summer? 16 Str!
    40yo you who was always awkward but now you're topping the sales charts at work? 16 Cha!

Avoids any possible argument about how smart your friend is now. No need for any arm wrestling or running obstacle courses today. Calibrate the rest of the world as needed.
    I love playing in a party with a couple of power-gamers, it frees me up to be Elan!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

I usually make an array and let them put the numbers wherever they think they should go. It avoids having any one player outshine the others, and having to deal with people who have...let's say a generous view of themselves

6. - Top - End - #6

ClericGuy

My stat array is below. Soooooooo.... I'm a Fighter/Eldritch Knight.
    Last edited by GreyBlack; 2019-10-17 at 07:40 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Roughly 8s across the board.

Unless we're using the optional Humility stat, where I've got a 4.

I had a slightly higher Sanity, but I finished a Cormac McCarthy novel today and lost a few points while developing the flaw, "Cries at a construction site because a book is so sad."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd tell them "Represent yourself as best you can, with standard point buy."
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Honestly speaking, I'd probably have 11-10-10-11-10-10 (Str-Dex-Con-Int-Wis-Cha). I have muscle so +1 Str and I am adequately smart so +1 Int. No class, though, I'd just be a commoner or something.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

I have 20s in every stat.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowSandbag View Post
    I have 20s in every stat.
    Chuck Norris, is that you?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Better yet, have them create each others’ characters
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

All my life it's been painfully obvious that I'm a Jack of all trades (and master of none), so I'd say I must be Standard Human.

That said, all of my sports hobbies over the years have required good hand-eye-coordination and balance (finnish baseball, judo, fencing, jiujitsu) and I have uncanny balance, even though I wouldn't consider myself a "tightrope walker".

I'm surprisingly strong (at least clearly above the average). I'm quite agile (as deduced above). I have good metabolism, being able to stomach fairly large amounts of alcohol without getting completely wasted, and I'm rarely sick.
    I have good intuition, people-skills, and knowledge of human nature. I get along well with everyone, and I'd say those who I don't get along with can blame themselves more than me. And I'm certainly not stupid. I might not be einstein-level intelligent, but I still think I'm fairly intelligent in many ways.

With all that considered, I think this stat row would be quite accurate within standard point-buy framework:
    Str 13, Dex 15, Con 13, Int 13, Wis 13, Cha 13

I could be literally anything, though if I look at my sports background I think I would be a mix between monk (most likely open hand, or kensei) and rogue (definitely swashbuckler), and possibly a few levels in bard (for Jack of All Trades feature). My most likely background is City Watch (I work in security field, for which I even have a degree.)

No, I'm not "a failed police wannabe". I've never even wanted to become one. Security needs and services come in many forms.

Took the kevinhaw's quiz, and it seems my above guess was pretty damn close:

STR:13
    INT:15
    WIS:15
    DEX:13
    CON:12
    CHA:14
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2019-10-18 at 09:35 AM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

I took that quiz for giggles
    Str: 7
    Dex: 14
    Int: 14
    Con: 8
    Wis: 17
    Chr: 10

None of that surprises me, although the constitution is a little bit lower than I would have marker myself. It is fitting with one of the recommendations that came from this thread http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...umites-a-class. Monster Slayer Ranger 3/ Cleric X. According to the quiz I'm all set for medium armor and as a cleric or Druid.

If it's point buy, looks like I'm a Variant Human with the Observant feat, who decided to make the game harder by leaving 4 point buy points on the table (If I were to make a real char I would boost Con by 4 to get to 12 total).
    Last edited by nickl_2000; 2019-10-18 at 09:45 AM.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

15. - Top - End - #15

GnomePirate

Took the quiz, it is very generous in stats. Highest was a 15 but I had 3 of those, lowest was a 12 in charisma.
    If I was statting myself:
    Str 15
    Dex 11
    Con 13
    int 11
    wis 10
    chr 9

16. - Top - End - #16

I’d advocate using standard point buy. The game balances well if you do, and if you end up making a caricature of yourself by doing so then hey, that’s entertaining too.

Here’s me:

Variant human

14 STR: I’m a strong climber and my groundwork is great for my weight class. 3 sets of 50 pushups are not a problem.

10 DEX: this might be a bit high I’m probably more of a klutz than this but... meh...

16 CON: I can break trail for hours on old school skinny skis through deep snow the consistency of mashed potatoes while climbing up through a mountain pass with a 7 day pack on my back. I can kayak or backpack for longer than I have vacation allowance. I’ve run Boston, and on weeks when I don’t have the kids I do 2 runs a day. After getting those two kids through daycare I’ve been exposed to most common viruses and low grade toxins.

14 INT: I have an engineering degree and I do Finite Element analysis for a living. This could maaaaybe be a 15, but 14 is safer, and works better with point buy.

8 WIS: This might also be too high, as my past history with the fairer sex can attest to, I can be pretty foolish... but hey, this is the improved heroic version of me, upgraded to 8 wis!

12 CHA: I can lead a small team or pull off a solid technical presentation, but nothing wildly special.

For my Variant Human feat, I’ll take prodigy, with expertise in athletics. 20 years ago on a trip out west, sitting on a chairlift wearing my old downhill skis I saw a telemark skier ripping it up in ways that boggled my mind. Seriously, he was far more capable and agile on free heals than I was in my sturdy and predictable fixed heal gear, I wasn’t a fantastic skier but I had raced as a kid and I knew what I was doing. He could do everything better. I decided I wanted to be able to ski like that. After 20 years I mostly can, even through gates, at least on resort snow. I’ve still got a lot to learn about free heals on more difficult conditions but hey, this is he heroic version of me!

Edit: Based on my profession I’d almost definitely be a battlesmith artificer.
    Last edited by Spiritchaser; 2019-10-18 at 12:44 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Current condition?
    I think I have some of those AD&D age penalties to a few stats.
    But now that I am a grandpa, my Charisma is 20 in the eyes of my grand daughter.

So I'll go for Lore Bard.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I know it's for Pathfinder, but this list includes a description for each ability score that tells you what level of competency each rank represents.

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-ability-scores/ability-scores/#Strength_Str

According to this I'm:
    STR: 12 (I can carry a heavy load for a short distance)
    DEX: 14 (I've been known to duck when a medium projectile is thrown at me, I seem to have great peripheral reflexes)
    CON: 13 (I can shrug off a few hits before falling unconscious, I'm trained in boxing and have a lot of fights under my belt)
    INT: 17 (my job was a process and policy writer for every business I've worked for as well as manager and QA)
    WIS: 25 (as a pastor I'm given prescient information on what's goin on in others lives on a fairly regular basis.)
    CHA: 23 (always been the life of the party, I host events on stage weekly and publicly that thrive on my personality)

As a pastor I'm definitely a Cleric of life
    Last edited by Drache64; 2019-10-18 at 09:22 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Per the quiz:

Neutral Good Human Monk (4th Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 14
    Dexterity- 16
    Constitution- 13
    Intelligence- 16
    Wisdom- 18
    Charisma- 13

Being level 4 I'd probably boost those odd scores, tho if I could choose race I'd go shadar kai like my char I play (teleport and necro resistance!) and that would take care of the con. Open hand subclass is what I picked for char. My character's back story involves attempting to seek enlightenment to free his soul from the raven queen. Other than having used point buy for stats for my char in game, generally matches!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I also took the quiz

Being slightly overweight really affects some of the answers in regards to Strength but I suppose that's fair.

STR: 11
    INT: 14
    WIS: 14
    DEX: 10
    CON: 13
    CHR: 14

I would have given myself a bit of a higher INT and a lower WIS because a lot of my answers related to WIS is basically just not being confrontational and being extremely patient with other people. I'm just hard to get a rise out of unless it's related to American Football.

If I was to stat myself it would have been:

STR: 12 (slightly stronger than average due to my build)
    INT: 16
    WIS: 10 (I'm reallllllly impulsive sometimes and I don't usually have common sense)
    DEX: 8 (Bruh, most people are more dexterous than I am)
    CON: 14
    CHR: 12

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

I have never seen good situations result when asking a bunch of (I am guessing) nerdish type people rating their own Int scores. The person who assigned themselves a moderate score for reasons related to prioritizing humility resents the person who did the opposite, the person who think they are the smartest person in the group finds out to their dismay that their peers do not shar that opinion, and everyone whips out their own evidence of clearly superior minds or unverifiable stories about tests where the proctors went through massive hurdles to verify that they weren't cheating since they'd never seen a score that high, etc. Maybe others have had better luck, but it just seems like a great way to strain friendships. Honestly D&D standard array seems like a better idea, where you are only ranking your own abilities relative to each other.

22. - Top - End - #22

Goblin

being absolutely realistic as comparing myself to an ACTUAL adventurer, like me my real self I'd be flat 10's. Maybe 8's in some places. Compared to any of my characters. If I got Isekei'd I'd die day 1 for sure.

Me as a human, I would get absolutely destroyed by ANY of the characters I've rolled/created. No contest. I'd die really quickly if D&D were real life and I tried to be an adventurer.
    Last edited by Ravinsild; 2019-10-18 at 12:00 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ravinsild View Post
    being absolutely realistic as comparing myself to an ACTUAL adventurer, like me my real self I'd be flat 10's. Maybe 8's in some places. Compared to any of my characters. If I got Isekei'd I'd die day 1 for sure.

Me as a human, I would get absolutely destroyed by ANY of the characters I've rolled/created. No contest. I'd die really quickly if D&D were real life and I tried to be an adventurer.
    A lot of it would just be training. You can train to be a relatively competent adventurer. You can increase STR, DEX, INT by preparing for the upcoming adventure you want to embark on. Honestly, I'm thinking most of us would be using tools and the environment WAY more if D&D was real life in order to secure the best advantage we can get against whatever we're going up against. Caltrops would be used more, so would ball bearings.

Fire would be a tool for sure, guerilla warfare would be more common. We wouldn't go charging death or glory style in our adventures I don't think

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    I have never seen good situations result when asking a bunch of (I am guessing) nerdish type people rating their own Int scores. The person who assigned themselves a moderate score for reasons related to prioritizing humility resents the person who did the opposite, the person who think they are the smartest person in the group finds out to their dismay that their peers do not shar that opinion, and everyone whips out their own evidence of clearly superior minds or unverifiable stories about tests where the proctors went through massive hurdles to verify that they weren't cheating since they'd never seen a score that high, etc. Maybe others have had better luck, but it just seems like a great way to strain friendships. Honestly D&D standard array seems like a better idea, where you are only ranking your own abilities relative to each other.
    I've had better luck in my group like this because most of us are way more honest with our skills. Our intellect are all fairly similar. It's usually 12-16 for us. I fancy myself a 16 because of my proficiency with reading, computer science, math and the like. But I lack severely in the common sense and wisdom department which is another, and arguably more important mental stat.

Nobody in my group would be giving themselves an 18-20 INT score though. None of us are that arrogant.
    Last edited by Stone-Ears; 2019-10-18 at 12:12 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Stone-Ears View Post
    A lot of it would just be training. You can train to be a relatively competent adventurer. You can increase STR, DEX, INT by preparing for the upcoming adventure you want to embark on. Honestly, I'm thinking most of us would be using tools and the environment WAY more if D&D was real life in order to secure the best advantage we can get against whatever we're going up against. Caltrops would be used more, so would ball bearings.

Fire would be a tool for sure, guerilla warfare would be more common. We wouldn't go charging death or glory style in our adventures I don't think
    Fair enough. I went through united states army basic training in 2007, I scored well on the ASVAB (99), I took the ACT once and got a 28, scored well enough on standardized testing to get into a magnet school, etc.

However I think in general, compared to real adventurers who are like Orcs and Dragonborn and ELVES and stuff I'd just be 10's and sometimes 8's. Like yeah I can do the football field training jump through the car tires thing alright, had pretty good PT scores, I am fairly athletic doing many sports. I just don't think I measure up to my characters on a pound for pound, toe for toe basis hahaha. I think that's the whole point of playing D&D. They're just BETTER than us. That's why its fun.
    Last edited by Ravinsild; 2019-10-18 at 12:10 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ravinsild View Post
    Fair enough. I went through united states army basic training in 2007, I scored well on the ASVAB (99), I took the ACT once and got a 28, scored well enough on standardized testing to get into a magnet school, etc.

However I think in general, compared to real adventurers who are like Orcs and Dragonborn and ELVES and stuff I'd just be 10's and sometimes 8's. Like yeah I can do the football field training jump through the car tires thing alright, had pretty good PT scores, I am fairly athletic doing many sports. I just don't think I measure up to my characters on a pound for pound, toe for toe basis hahaha. I think that's the whole point of playing D&D. They're just BETTER than us. That's why its fun.
    That's fair, the advantages of other races couldn't be overlooked for sure. Orcs and Dragonborns are always going to be stronger and Elves are always going to be annoying and dexterous. Dwarves will always drink you under the table.

But definitely don't sell yourself short man. Your intelligence would put make you pretty competent companion to have. It's just being human and needing a light source would be the only downside for us humans I think
    Last edited by Stone-Ears; 2019-10-18 at 12:15 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

8 Strength and Con; I'm pretty out of shape.
    8 Dex; I'm clumsy.
    14 Int, I'm reasonably bright. I learn stuff quickly and got A's and B's in college, but I'm no genius.
    10 Wis, I have a decent head on my shoulders for some things but I'm also a dumbass.
    10 Cha, I get on okay with people but have no presence.

This is fun...
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

27. - Top - End - #27

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    8 Strength and Con; I'm pretty out of shape.
    8 Dex; I'm clumsy.
    14 Int, I'm reasonably bright. I learn stuff quickly and got A's and B's in college, but I'm no genius.
    10 Wis, I have a decent head on my shoulders for some things but I'm also a dumbass.
    10 Cha, I get on okay with people but have no presence.

This is fun...
    Yeah but you also gave us the best ranger rewrite ever and im butt hurt its not the official ranger so. Whatever that does for you. haha.

28. - Top - End - #28

Divergence between my real self and my idealized self.

Real self (i.e. the 5e character that seems most similar to real me):
    Half-elf (+1 Int/Con) Wizard (diviner, or maybe conjurer), final stats...
    Str: 8
    Dex: 14
    Con: 12
    Int: 16
    Wis: 12
    Cha: 14
    Although I can be physically uncoordinated in daily life, I'm actually not half bad with practiced motions (I've even got some half-remembered fencing training). I used to be very sickly as a child, but that built up my immune system pretty well such that it takes something pretty nasty to take me down today. I've made some real dumb decisions over the years, but usually I have good judgment and observation skills. Though I don't think of myself as particularly charismatic, others have disagreed, and accidentally winding up in leadership positions three or four times is evidence in their favor.

Ideal self (i.e., the 5e character that best matches my personality/morality)
    Dragonborn (silver) Paladin (Devotion), final stats...
    Str: 16
    Dex: 9
    Con: 12
    Int: 10
    Wis: 12
    Cha: 16
    Not a Paladunce, just a little uncoordinated. Strong of arm and personality--persuading others to a better path, but willing to strike down unrepentant evil.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm a high elf transmutation wizard that apparently understood min-maxing and then made some bizarre calls in the interest of "roleplay".
    Str: 9 (was worse not that long ago. I'm trying! But not hard enough)
    Dex: 16 (limber, excellent hand-eye coordination, extremely fast reflexes. I once broke my hand and had my nerve responses tested to check for damage- my nerves respond approximately twice as strongly as a normal person's)
    Con: 6 (sick all the time, prone to injury, the sun and I are not on speaking terms, can't deal with heat, tired all the time, etc etc)
    Int: 14 (measurably and demonstrably well above average, but I'd personally take issue with calling me a genius)
    Wis: 12 (good but not amazing eyesight, sensitive but not particularly impressive hearing, reasonably good at reading others but not some kind of super sleuth. Really great with animals, but that's just skill proficiency)
    Cha: 12 (relatively strong force of personality. Awkward, but people tend to have an overall positive opinion of me and I can be convincing, if not to any extreme degree)

High elf because I can be haughty, have received actual training in the racial weapon proficiencies and kind of suck with all of them except bows and short swords (small-swords in my case), overdo studying all the time, don't get anywhere near enough real sleep, and seem to not understand the effects of time very well. Wizard because studying and writing are my principle virtues. Transmutation because I like making things.

Background is sage. Librarian, probably. I love reading.
    Last edited by Waterdeep Merch; 2019-10-20 at 10:40 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

If 10 is "average human," I probably look something like this:

STR: 11
    DEX: 8
    CON: 9
    INT: 16
    WIS: 12
    CHA: 12