New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Bard/Rng multiclassing help. Not for min-max but fun and creative play.

Se I got back to DnD after about 15 years, and things have changed since 3rd edition.

I have chosen to play melee oriented Bard with a little ranger levels on the side. The classes fit well in my characters background and personality. Currently brd2 / rng 1 and will take UA Kits of Old college of swords upon next level.

From the spell side I've so far taken spells with lots of fun uses rather than direct combat potential. Mending, Prestidigation; 1: Silent image, disguise self, unseen servant, healing word and thunderwave. Any suggestions for later pics would be welcome. Got my eyes on Heat metal but that's it for future plans.

I'l like some input on how to make the most out of my character in combat and how to advance with the ranger levels. I'm not min maxing my character but I'm afraid combats that we will be having could end up very boring for me if I fall too far behind rest of our party. I'd be getting second attack from Bard at 6th level, so I don't need more than 3-4 levels of ranger. Was thinking taking hunters mark and going hunter for colossus slayer.
    Any suggestions?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Bard/Rng multiclassing help. Not for min-max but fun and creative play.

Personally, I'd forget the Ranger levels altogether. Bard is flexible enough a class to accomodate any of the fluff aspects of Ranger and depending on subclass choices, can also compete pretty well on the "combat dude" front. Slap on an appropriate Background and personality and you have yourself a "ranger" without having to be a Ranger (class) at all. Lore Bard is particularly good for this with their extrs skills and greater access to Ranger-only and Ranger-themed spells.

That said, if you're certain about the multiclass, or are already locked in, I'd take Bard to 3rd level first, for 2nd lvl. spells and Expertise, before advancing Ranger to 3rd also. After that, I'd stick to Bard all the way. You should remain competetive, albeit fall slightly behind the curve around character level 5 (which is when single class characters will be getting a significant power bump), but on the flipside, you'll have a bit more flexibility.

Hunters Mark and Colossus Slayer are solid, though I tend to prefer Horde Breaker personally. Others will recommend looking outisde the PHB for Ranger Subclass, but as I don't own those supplements, I cannot comment.
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: Bard/Rng multiclassing help. Not for min-max but fun and creative play.

You already saw the fisrt big trap that would be getting extra attack twice...
    unless you know the game is going to go up to name level(20 or 15 or whatever) Im a bileiver of looking what would give you more enjoyement while playing the character, now rather than later.

Ranger levels in general increases your combative effectiviness, and are considered to many balanced until level 5-7 depending on subclass
    Ranger level one doesn't give you much, but level 2 gives your a Figthing Style, and spells (likely hunters mark bosting damage as one of them, but not a rule... entagle to me is always a great pick).
    Levels 3 and 4 give a conclave and a feat/ASI, and if you want to go that much you migth consider grabing extra attack with ranger levels and taking a different bard college like lore/whispers/glamour. If going on this route, you migth want to take bard 3rd level at some point for seccondlevel bard spells expertise and the college benefits before contiuing for extra attack on ranger levels.

Bard levels give you more versatility and magical powers
    Level 3 gives you a college and a different way to be awesome in combat together with 2nd level spells
    Level 4 a Feat or AbilityScoreImprovement
    level 5 3rd level spells bardic Inspiration recovery.

If playing Core/PHB only, i would play
    Ranger (any) 5 / Bard Lore 15
    Ranger 2 / Bard Valor 18
    Maybe something in between

If Xanatar is avaiable (its a book, has an updated swords bard as well)
    Ranger (Any-gloomstalker) 5+ / Bard (Whisper/Glamour) 5+

Im parcial towards shield usage so i rank valor bard higher than swords but you already get that profciency from ranger rigth?

for melee focused bard I would take defense with the ranger style and probably dueling for the shield usage, using my bonus action to Inpire people,heal,hunter's mark,i don't see twf beeing very effective and a shield is ALWAYS helpful.

If you have the Str for it(or latter gain a item) you might forget about the style you get for free with swords and take GWM feat and go to twon with a big F*ng weapon, extra attack, extra damage, extra magical defenses...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I'm guessing you're taking college of swords to use swords and not a bow.
    If that is the case, I suggest shooting for 2-4 levels of ranger after getting bard level 6.

3rd level spells and short rest inspiration recharge (gained at bard level 5) are nothing to sneeze at and extra attack+two weapon fighting will be good at-will damage.
    At bard level 4 I recommend boosting dex by 2 if you want to lean into the TWF. Do not take the dual wielder feat if your dex is not already 20. Even then, Charisma +2 would probably be better.

If you're going for flavor, I think 3 levels of ranger total would be best. You get spells and your subclass. Take defense style because other styles would interfere with TWF.

If you have access to Xanathar's Guide to Everything, they printed the college of swords bard in there. It's considered more official because it's a newer version and I think it's better/easier.
    Additionally, if you get XGtE take a look at the ranger subclasses in there. Some may pique your interest.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Sorry, I'm a bit of a noob(stah) and lazy to learn making multiple quatas.
    THANKS already getting some nice input and ideas.
    I was totally thinking I could not "duel" with a shield in other hand. Silly me. Shield could well be an option for my character then.

I rolled rather good stats, but we had to put them in order we rolled them. Could only switch places of 2 stats. STR14, Dex17, Con12, Int16, Wis,13, Cha18.

Xanathar's sword bard is viable. I had not looked into it cause I had mixed it with another old UA version, that seemed inferior. Not sure what way to go about that. Need to really weight in the pros and cons. I talked our DM to let me take Dueling anyway. Even with the old UA version that dind't have it.
    For ranger I'd really like Gloomstalker like suggested, BUT our setting is not that.. well gloomy. Horizon walker could fit the character and would be cool, but i really don't see how I could make it work. Monster slayer seems like an alternative for hunter. Those 2 seem like possible options for now.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Nobody in the Playground Moderator

I'm not really seeing what you're wanting to get out of taking Ranger levels. I would consider the Scout Rogue instead for an alternate Ranger, or Swashbuckler Rogue for even better combat(I'd go TWF here). There is also a Scout Fighter buried deep in the UA material that you may be interested in. It's like a Ranger with Battlemaster maneuvers. Ancients Paladin could also work here for the Nature feel and perfect Cha symmetry.

Don't get me wrong, I love oddball multiclass combos. My last 2 characters were Bard/Barbarian and Monk/Warlock... I just don't see what you're going for here.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CTurbo View Post
    I'm not really seeing what you're wanting to get out of taking Ranger levels. I would consider the Scout Rogue instead for an alternate Ranger, or Swashbuckler Rogue for even better combat(I'd go TWF here). There is also a Scout Fighter buried deep in the UA material that you may be interested in. It's like a Ranger with Battlemaster maneuvers. Ancients Paladin could also work here for the Nature feel and perfect Cha symmetry.

Don't get me wrong, I love oddball multiclass combos. My last 2 characters were Bard/Barbarian and Monk/Warlock... I just don't see what you're going for here.
    From the game mechanics side, I'm not trying to pull of anything specific. I have a character and I chose the classes to best fit his background and personality. He is primarily a Bard. Was considering druid aswell for the "nature feel" that the character needs, but chose to go with ranger. I need to check the Ancient Paladin if it fits better.

That, and still make it work decently. I'm not expecting miracles here, but I last played 3e so I'm really not in touch with the rules.

I have however already gotten some decent ideas from you guys.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Nobody in the Playground Moderator

So what is it from Ranger you are wanting to get? The Nature/animals part? I think Druid would be a better fit.

Also, you mentioned that you can swap 2 stats? Have you already done that in the spread you listed up top? I'd swap Con with Int or Str if you haven't.

Have you thought about races? From a rp standpoint, I think Wood Elf, Forrest Gnome, Firbolg, Earth Genasi, or Air Genasi would be great. From a mechanical standpoint, Half-Elf, Hill Dwarf, or Lizardfolk would be good.

If you still want Ranger, I'd probably still go with Gloom Stalker for that boosted first round of combat which would always be used. The bonus dark vision would be a great boon if you pick a race that doesn't get darkvision.

Nature Cleric could also be an interesting choice

From a purely mechanical standpoint, a single level of Hexblade would be a really good combat boost.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Noobstah View Post
    From the game mechanics side, I'm not trying to pull of anything specific. I have a character and I chose the classes to best fit his background and personality. He is primarily a Bard. Was considering druid aswell for the "nature feel" that the character needs, but chose to go with ranger. I need to check the Ancient Paladin if it fits better.

That, and still make it work decently. I'm not expecting miracles here, but I last played 3e so I'm really not in touch with the rules.

I have however already gotten some decent ideas from you guys.
    Let's forget the rules for a minute.
    What do YOU see this character being? WHO are they? WHAT is the background and personality?
    Are they a defender of the wild? That leans to Paladin.
    Are they a hunter of threats? That leans towards Ranger.
    Do they shoot their foes with deadly efficiency, or do they engage them in melee?
    Why are they a bard?
    Is it to sing songs of glory, or to delve into knowledge to better prepare for their opponents?
    What is your character thesis?