New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 193435363738394041424344
Results 1,291 to 1,292 of 1292
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Critiquing the "Guy At The Gym" Fallacy

I've been busy and haven't checked in recently. And I have no idea why we are talking about how important active off screen events are to world building in a thread about the Guy at the Gym Fallacy. It feels like a tangent to a tangent at best. On the other hand if I missed an important link, could someone explain it?

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Critiquing the "Guy At The Gym" Fallacy

Quote Originally Posted by Cluedrew View Post
    I've been busy and haven't checked in recently. And I have no idea why we are talking about how important active off screen events are to world building in a thread about the Guy at the Gym Fallacy. It feels like a tangent to a tangent at best. On the other hand if I missed an important link, could someone explain it?
    No, you're correct, it wasn't important.

I think the original impetus was me explaining comparative advantage (i.e. the economics answer to the question "why would I have a fighter in a game where the wizard can do both their jobs?") and that somehow led to Tippyverse and printed settings.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)