New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

That quote could come in handy next year when someone asks about the calendars. I support adding it to the index.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

While it’s a helpful quote, I’m not quite sure it counts as being about the comic. The Giant‘s rationale is interesting, but I feel like most* of the quotes we have in the Supporting the Strip section are a little more closely related to the strip itself, such as talking about future books or the medium of the comic. I’m open to being persuaded that this is more in the sphere of the comic, however.

*There are also a few quotes there that might be more analogous, but I don’t think I necessarily supported their inclusion

Peelee’s Lotsey

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I believe it's useful and should be included.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

4. - Top - End - #64
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    While it’s a helpful quote, I’m not quite sure it counts as being about the comic. The Giant‘s rationale is interesting, but I feel like most* of the quotes we have in the Supporting the Strip section are a little more closely related to the strip itself, such as talking about future books or the medium of the comic. I’m open to being persuaded that this is more in the sphere of the comic, however.

*There are also a few quotes there that might be more analogous, but I don’t think I necessarily supported their inclusion
    I'm in the same camp with you here: Leaning against, but open to changing my mind.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Newcomer here, so forgive me if this has been discussed on one of the previous threads: isn’t all merchandise a way of ‘supporting the strip’? Therefore, wouldn’t most, if not all, comments relating to official OOTS merch be a part of that section?

In any case, I say yes to putting it in the index. It’s useful, related to the comic, and seems to a frequently asked question. Next time something like this comes up, the Giant won’t have to respond; we can just cite the index.
    Like Star Wars, ponies, and/or unabashed silliness? Check out my YouTube channel, Nothing In Particular, for a healthy dose of absurdity. It's just what the doctor ordered!*

* Surgeon General's Warning: May cause chronic hideous laughter, eye rolling, or beleaguered sighs. Not intended to prevent, diagnose, or treat any disease.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Bugbear in the Playground

Against. It's a basic marketing concept not to clutter a page or shelf with stuff almost nobody is buying, and it's a slightly emotional response to an inappropriate accusation designed to elicit a response. It's not good to reward the idea that if you attack Rich, you'll get a reply.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NerdyKris View Post
    it's a slightly emotional response to an inappropriate accusation designed to elicit a response. It's not good to reward the idea that if you attack Rich, you'll get a reply.
    That's a good point.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by NerdyKris View Post
    Against. It's a basic marketing concept not to clutter a page or shelf with stuff almost nobody is buying, and it's a slightly emotional response to an inappropriate accusation designed to elicit a response. It's not good to reward the idea that if you attack Rich, you'll get a reply.
    While I agree that attacking Rich should be discouraged...aren’t there already some comments in the index that came about from doing exactly that? And what’s the line between asking a question and attacking Rich? The thread in question didn’t seem to have an aggressive tone at all, at least not on my first read.
    Like Star Wars, ponies, and/or unabashed silliness? Check out my YouTube channel, Nothing In Particular, for a healthy dose of absurdity. It's just what the doctor ordered!*

* Surgeon General's Warning: May cause chronic hideous laughter, eye rolling, or beleaguered sighs. Not intended to prevent, diagnose, or treat any disease.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    That's a good point.
    Indeed, it is.

Edit: Re-read the whole thread. The starting question has no ill intent, it's just someone trying to find out how to buy old calendars. The information about it is quite useful, as the Giant himself aknowledges that sometimes this question comes again from (a few) people seeking to buy old calendars.

About the posting that the Giant responded too, I will say no more about it, lest I speak ill of the living...
    Last edited by D.One; 2019-11-27 at 01:02 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm in the INCLUDE camp.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

So that's about an even split...okay, that brings us up to....

Tentative Items for Index 6.2
    On the Snarl and the Dark One's Plan for the Gate
    Details about the Snarl's role as an implement of mutually assured destruction.
    #1185 2019/11/10 Will be included without vote.
    On the Periodic Availability of Past Calendars
    "...every single year, someone starts a thread like this and asks about the old calendars, so I turn them back on."
    #1187 2019/11/24 Will be eligible for vote.

Unless we get another four in the interim, the next update cycle will be....actually it'll probably be after December 25th; but right around there.

Quote Originally Posted by MossyMeow View Post
    isn’t all merchandise a way of ‘supporting the strip’? Therefore, wouldn’t most, if not all, comments relating to official OOTS merch be a part of that section?
    If it's added into the Index, it'll end up in that section, yes. However, the specific topic is the timing of merchandise, rather than the content of the merchandise itself; so it kind of falls into the gray area of Rule B2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Index Guidelines
    Rule B: The Index is for collecting only quotes that have to do with the Order of the Stick comic or other fiction works by Rich Burlew.
    2) | This may include information related to the comic, like Rich's views on Dungeons and Dragons, book publishing, art design, etc. . . so long as these quotes are still within the sphere of comic-related discussion. Uncertainty should be decided by thread poster consensus.

Quote Originally Posted by MossyMeow View Post
    While I agree that attacking Rich should be discouraged...aren’t there already some comments in the index that came about from doing exactly that?
    I've noticed many people err (unduly) on the side of caution after a particular situation in the past.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

12. - Top - End - #72

WolfInSheepsClothing

I think it should be included it’s useful info about Thor’s plan.
    Last edited by CriticalFailure; 2019-12-04 at 04:32 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

Count me on the side of inclusion.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The information that it may be possible to buy old digital calendars is useful, but, as The Giant says, useful for a very small group that demands that each year (11 sales in a year is a pretty low number), and I'm not sure that someone searching for information about "how to buy old calendars" would go for the index in search for that information.

OTOH, publishing that on the Index could give more notoriety to the speech The Giant responded to, and I believe that's something we don't want.

All in all, I vote against the inclusion of the calendar quote.

I understand there's no need to vote about the quote about the Sanrl and the Dark One, and it will be included.
    Last edited by D.One; 2019-12-10 at 01:42 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    [...]I'm not sure that someone searching for information about "how to buy old calendars" would go for the index in search for that information.
    I think the intention of the Index is more for, when a user posts about the calendars, a different user can be like "Hmm, I remember the Giant said something about this," and can search the Index for it and pull it up as an easy, irrefutable, first-hand answer.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

I am of a split mind, but for now you can put me down as supporting inclusion.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm usually on board for including everything anyway, admittedly. In this case it actually feels to me like the right place for this answer would be the official site FAQ, or like a footnote on the page with info about the current calendar, but holding out for an update on that seems rather optimistic, so including it here seems to be the next best thing.
    Last edited by pearl jam; 2019-12-15 at 04:12 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Not much overall movement on that one quote, a lot of shifts canceled each other out...well then.

UPDATE COMING, CALLING FOR PMs TO REQUIRE VOTES

Anyone thinking the entry marked "Accepting PMs to require vote" should not be included in the Index should send me a private message, saying the entry should require a vote. (The default is to include, an item not voted on will be included in the Index.) If I get PMs from two or more people about the particular entry, it will be voted on to decide inclusion; the vote will be the next stage, and I'll announce it when the vote is ready.

The other quote below reached strong consensus already. A vote is considered unnecessary in that case; it will be included.

Proposed Additions for Index 6.2
    On the Snarl and the Dark One's Plan for the Gate
    Details about the Snarl's role as an implement of mutually assured destruction.
    #1185 2019/11/10 No vote required, will be included.
    On the Periodic Availability of Past Calendars
    "...every single year, someone starts a thread like this and asks about the old calendars, so I turn them back on."
    #1187 2019/11/24 Accepting PMs to require vote.

Will be included.

PMs will be accepted until December 28th, 9PM EST. I'll try to update the table if/when entries get sufficient PMs.

To send me a PM, click my username (The vaguely-pronounceable(?)-looking word above the spellcasting-and-invocation-using banana with purple hair) and select "Private Message". Or I guess you could click here. Anyway, include the title of the entry you're nominating in the message. Mentioning something about "Index Nomination" in the subject line would be helpful.

A few final reminders:

• Don't post suggestions to require votes. They're sent by PM to avoid filling up the thread with them, posts will not be counted.
    • Only PM for entries you think should be excluded. They'll be included if they don't receive sufficient nominations.
    • We're not voting on the entries yet. The voting will be the next stage, assuming a vote is required; I'll call for the vote at an appropriate time.
    • We still have a banana in charge. Hi. (I neither confirm nor deny a zapped status.)

Further discussion of entries is encouraged at this point. In particular, recommendations for different titles and descriptions for the quote entries are things I'd be happy to consider.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2019-12-28 at 09:03 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I only got one PM requesting a vote on the calendar one, and the threshold is two PMs; it'll be going in.

With nothing to vote on, there will be no vote; both entries are now in the Index.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    With nothing to vote on
    We could always vote on whether to hold a vote for voting procedures.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    We could always vote on whether to hold a vote for voting procedures.
    Sure; but first we'd need to discuss what we'd specifically be voting on specifically discussing, before we could discuss voting on how to discuss voting on how to vote.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Sure; but first we'd need to discuss what we'd specifically be voting on specifically discussing, before we could discuss voting on how to discuss voting on how to vote.
    I would need some specifics, of course.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Is this index going to be including any Patreon material? I can't find anything about pay-to-get material in the rules.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ByzantiumBhuka View Post
    Is this index going to be including any Patreon material? I can't find anything about pay-to-get material in the rules.
    The rules, outlined in the "Index Guidelines" spoiler in the first post, are pretty straightforward on this point:
    Quote Originally Posted by Index Guidelines
    Rule A: The quote or comment must still be accessible online.
    3) | This does not include Rich's commentary in books or in any medium that cannot be legally accessed for free.

That said, the Giant's news post says the answers to patron-submitted questions "will be free for everyone to see"; so those will be eligible for inclusion.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2020-02-27 at 11:23 AM.

25. - Top - End - #85

WolfInSheepsClothing

It’s nice they are going to answer questions on patron and make them publicly available for free. It seems like a good way to answer people’s questions without having to deal with the weird free for all that is the forum.

26. - Top - End - #86

The Patreon answers are up! 32 of them, and a lot of them are pretty decent, summary of them (and what I think of them).
    1. That one is a no, only important for Patreon profile pics.
    2. The fact that the Giant has this whole thing planned, and had the basic beats of the ending since NCFPB’s ending, I’m pretty sure we have close enough info already that I am against this.
    3. Whether we’ll learn what’s under the Darkness, we already know this from several things on here.
    4. Why Roy’s shoes are weird, I’m not really sure whether I support this yet.
    5. Why mummies repeat stuff they heard, this is an interesting insight into his writing process imo so I support it.
    6. The use of genderqueer to apply to V, very interesting, I support it.
    7. We aren’t gonna meet Belkar’s family, I’m not sure yet.
    8. He won’t go back to remaster older comics, see above.
    9. On an OOTS animated series, I am against this except as an addendum to the above, doesn’t give any concrete information really.
    10. Rich will keep writing after OOTS, apparently a lot of people asked this so I support its inclusion.
    11. The OOTS campaign world, I think we already have information on this so I don't support it.
    12. He won't write a fantasy writing advice book, doesn't really seem important.
    13. Monsters For Every Season release stuff, not really OOTS, so I'd say no inclusion.
    14. We probably won't see the Fantasy Setting Search setting again, not really OOTS related.
    15. Rich tells people to read more fantasy to find fantasy better than OOTS, not really something important.
    16. Things based on table top games, not much too major here.
    17. Stuff about how the Giant had no clue where this would end when this started, including details about the Elven Pantheon, I think this is good.
    18. How Thrall Durkon worked, fairly informative, thumbs up.
    19. The Giant never always (oops) wanted to revive Durkon, not too important imo.
    20. The Giant has no clue if the three soul splice souls were from a previous earth, obviously not warranting inclusion.
    21. Why Rich did and doesn't map out fight scenes, I support.
    22. The Giant doesn't care a tiny bit about xp, also why Hilgya killed Durkon, both of which we sort of knew.
    23. Rich doesn't have a current game, more about his personal life than anything else.
    24. Rich loved his work on Dungeonscape and especially acid-breathing sharks, see above.
    25. Rich doesn't really know whats going on in the D&D world, see the last two.
    26. Rich's opinions on writing webcomics and comics and medium, this seems pretty good.
    27. X, Y or Z isn;t in the comic because the Giant hasn't thought of a reason to include it. Me likey.
    28. Some details aren't included because they aren't needed and its counterproductive to reveal them outside of the media (and Elan's Mothers name is one of them). I like this one a lot.
    29. Tarquin and Elan's Mother relationship doesn't need to be shown, because bad relationships are very common, I don't think this is needed.
    30. How the Giant paces comics, very good, informative, probably the best of these comments.
    31. The Giant favorite character to write is whoever he is currently spending a lot of time on the most (but his favorite character to write is Zhou Bo). I'm not really sure.
    32. How audience reactions surprise him. Not sure yet.
    Last edited by Schroeswald; 2020-03-02 at 06:38 AM.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

27. - Top - End - #87
    Colossus in the Playground

19. The Giant never wanted to revive Durkon, not too important imo.
    This one is not worded right - a better description would be

"The Giant never considered leaving Durkon as an undead - resurrecting him at the end of the arc was always the plan".
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

The answer about the Elven pantheon stemming from an offhand comment by Vaarsuvius is the first explicit reference to sponsored deities sharing not only the pantheon but also the quiddity colour of their sponsors, I think. The answer about Thrall Durkon acting childlike because that's what Malack wanted is also very interesting, since it opens up the possibility of some of Durkon's followers being thralls too - something that's been debated often here.
    Last edited by hroþila; 2020-03-02 at 05:33 AM.
    ungelic is us

29. - Top - End - #89

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    This one is not worded right - a better description would be

"The Giant never considered leaving Durkon as an undead - resurrecting him at the end of the arc was always the plan".
    Oh yeah, that was just me writing the wrong thing, I’ll fix it.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hroþila View Post
    The answer about the Elven pantheon stemming from an offhand comment by Vaarsuvius is the first explicit reference to sponsored deities sharing not only the pantheon but also the quiddity colour of their sponsors, I think. The answer about Thrall Durkon acting childlike because that's what Malack wanted is also very interesting, since it opens up the possibility of some of Durkon's followers being thralls too - something that's been debated often here.
    In a vaguely similar vein, the ones about Vaarsuvius being genderqueer, and not finding out about Belkar's family, are recurring questions that have required book cites (thus couldn't be Indexed) before now.

Anyway, what's everyone else think about these? Other than "we're not seriously going to have a vote on thirty entries, are we?". No. Twenty-nine, tops.