The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Return of the MTG: Vanishing Three Card Blind - Once upon a time there was a 3CB

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    For the purpose of Underdog, what order are games played in within a match?
    I believe that the games within a round happen simultaneously and independently far away from each other, none of them affect the others.

2. - Top - End - #182

Default Re: Return of the MTG: Vanishing Three Card Blind - Once upon a time there was a 3CB

I have already received some deck submissions for round 6. Please keep submitting the decks to me in private message, and mention that it's for round 6. I will freeze the decks for round 6 on Tuesday, 2019-11-19 21:00 UTC, which means that deck submissions after that are not used for round 6, and I'll announce the decks shortly after that. That is unless something unlikely delays this, eg. the round 5 results are revised so the ban list changes, or there are less than 5 decks submitted.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2019-11-15 at 07:34 AM.

3. - Top - End - #183

Revealing the decks for Return round 6.

Quiddle: Mirrored Lotus, Leyline of Anticipation, Collector Ouphe.
    Fable Wright: Mountain, Burning Inquiry, Nether Spirit.
    Ninjaman: Mirrored Lotus, Impatient Iguana, Burning Inquiry,
    Gauntlet: Impatient Iguana, Mirrored Lotus, Burning Inquiry.
    Bucky: Mirrored Lotus, Impatient Iguana, Burning Inquiry.
    ben-zayb: Maze of Ith, Cavern of Souls, Wrench-Rigger, contraption deck Rapid Prototyper.
    Tom the Mime: Impatient Iguana, Burning Inquiry, Mirrored Lotus.
    TiaC: Balance, Lotus Petal, Gods' Eye, Gate to the Reikai.
    Korith: Ancient Tomb, Isochron Scepter, Lightning Helix.

Yes, four players sent the same deck.

Mirrored Lotus and Impatient Iguana are cards from the new Mystery Boosters convention edition that are not legal in Vintage or other serious formats. These are essentially un-cards. The Release Notes for Mystery Boosters gives the full of these cards. The cards are not in Gatherer, but then the silver-bordered holiday card Evil Presents isn't in Gatherer either, and it's been ruled legal in the original Vanishing 3CB. I thus believe that these cards can be played in decks here. Some players have sent fallback decks for the case that they can't. I'll reveal those only if the judgement is that the normal decks cannot be played, since the players may want to use those decks for the next rounds.

For judging, note that the release notes say that if both players use Impatient Iguana, then the player who would originally had been the starting player will be the starting player.

I started a table for results, but won't do the judgements except for the easy ones. If you want to manage judging, you can copy this table to your post, or start a differently formatted table, as you prefer.
    • With a mirror match of two Impatient Iguana decks, the first player can cast and resolve Burning Inquiry before the second player can cast anything, though the second player can still tap their lotus for mana.
    • With an Impatient Iguana against Quiddle's deck, Quiddle can cast their Lotus and Ouphe in the opponent's upkeep. The Iguana player still gets their copy of the lotus and could tap it for mana, but they can't spend that mana in the upkeep, and can't use the Lotus later, so Quiddle wins.
    • For an Impatient Iguana against Fable Wright, Fable has the Nether Spirit from their second upkeep, the opponent has their Iguana from their first main phase. The Iguana player gets a free attack in their second turn. After that, Fable can choose to attack, but the Iguana gets a counterattack, so they're locked in a draw where neither player wants to attack.
    • Quiddle against Fable Wright. If Quiddle has the play, he gets the same draw as in the previous match. But if Fable Wright goes first, then Quiddle doesn't get a free attack. Fable Wright will attack every turn starting from his second. Quiddle can't block him, because the Nether Spirit comes back but the Ouphe stays dead. Quiddle can attack starting from his second turn, but Fable wins the damage race.
    • Impatient Iguana wins against TiaC or ben-zayb or Korith, because the Iguana player gets to use Inquiry before the opponent can do anything.

Q FW N G Bu bz TM TC K
    Quiddle . DL WW WW WW ?? WW ?? ?? ? T0 Ouphe
    Fable Wright WD . DD DD DD ?? DD ?? ?? ? NetherSpirit
    Ninjaman LL DD . LW LW WW LW WW WW 29 ImpIguana
    Gauntlet LL DD LW . LW WW LW WW WW 29 ImpIguana
    Bucky LL DD LW LW . WW LW WW WW 29 ImpIguana
    ben-zayb ?? ?? LL LL LL . LL ?? ?? ? MazeIth
    Tom the Mime LL DD LW LW LW WW . WW WW 29 ImpIguana
    TiaC ?? ?? LL LL LL ?? LL . ?? ? Balance, GodsEye
    Korith ?? ?? LL LL LL ?? LL ?? . ? IsoScepter

Thanks everyone for participating. TiaC: good to see you back in the thread.

Update: Quiddle vs Fable Wright was incorrect in the table.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2019-11-19 at 04:06 PM.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wow, thats a weird meta. Thanks for doing the matches!

It seems like contraptions have triggered abilities so I should lose to bz.
    Ouphe turns off scepter and lotus petal so I should win those as well.
    Last edited by Quiddle; 2019-11-19 at 04:16 PM.
    Spoiler: My Homebrew(3.5):
    Show
    All hail the white space, for from it all posts are shaped.
    Hey look, it is the oldest trick in the book!

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

We were four people who thought we had it all figured out, but then Quiddle happened.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

6. - Top - End - #186
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Yeah, the iguana was low hanging fruit but too good to pass up unless you thought the meta was going to be as extreme as it actually was and there was only one deck that made sense with it.

Fun fact: FoW decks WW against everyone but zayb and would have taken the round.

On the plus side, lotuses are gone again.
    Being a mime means never having to say you're sorry.

7. - Top - End - #187

Quote Originally Posted by Tom the Mime View Post
    Fun fact: FoW decks WW against everyone but zayb and would have taken the round.
    What Force of Will deck and how does it defeat Fable Wright's deck with the Nether Spirit that comes back after it's countered?

Update: ah, you counter the Burning Inquiry. Makes sense, thank you.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2019-11-19 at 06:37 PM.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Shouldn't matter if it was dryad arbor or memnite and if you counter burning inquiry, nether spirit is stuck in their hand.

Edit: As far as I can tell, the missing results are
    Fable is WW against TiaC and WL against Korith and zayb.
    zayb is WL against Fable and TiaC and LL against Korith.
    TiaC is WL against zayb and Korith and LL against Fable.
    Korith is WW against zayb and WL against TiaC and Fable.

Fable and TiaC generally win on play by discard but lose on draw as their threats can't keep up with other first turn plays (exception for against each other where nether spirit still comes out). Korith can always scepter the tokens to keep new ones from getting two big and has time to chip away when one only comes out every third turn. They might even be able to take it in a flat out race but they don't need to.
    Last edited by Tom the Mime; 2019-11-19 at 07:36 PM.
    Being a mime means never having to say you're sorry.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Wait, there are new cards? That's what I get for not paying attention. At least the new Lotus is dealt with alongside Leyline of Flash.

Matchups against my deck look about right.

10. - Top - End - #190

Yeah, that's what I get for deciding that I didn't have time to read through the new cards.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

Yep, noticed that too. Realized that was one of the few things the Iguana deck lost to, had actually expected at least one to play it.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.

Extended signature

12. - Top - End - #192
    Firbolg in the Playground

Going to give next round or three a pass, until the new completely unbalanced cards are dropped from the meta. It's hard enough to make a deck when I have access to Gatherer.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    Going to give next round or three a pass, until the new completely unbalanced cards are dropped from the meta. It's hard enough to make a deck when I have access to Gatherer.
    How many more completely unbalanced cards are there in Mythic Playtest? Even Iguana is pretty hard to use now without a lotus.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

14. - Top - End - #194

Oops, that table I posted is pretty messed up. All those LW results for the mirror matches are supposed to be WL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    It seems like contraptions have triggered abilities so I should lose to bz.
    Ouphe turns off scepter and lotus petal so I should win those as well.
    Edit: As far as I can tell, the missing results are
    Fable is WW against TiaC and WL against Korith and zayb.
    zayb is WL against Fable and TiaC and LL against Korith.
    TiaC is WL against zayb and Korith and LL against Fable.
    Korith is WW against zayb and WL against TiaC and Fable.
    That gives the following table.
    Q FW N G Bu bz TM TC K
    Quiddle . DL WW WW WW LL WW WW WW 37 T0 Ouphe
    Fable Wright WD . DD DD DD WL DD WW WL 24 NetherSpirit
    Ninjaman LL DD . WL WL WW WL WW WW 29 ImpIguana
    Gauntlet LL DD WL . WL WW WL WW WW 29 ImpIguana
    Bucky LL DD WL WL . WW WL WW WW 29 ImpIguana
    ben-zayb WW WL LL LL LL . LL WL LL 12 MazeIth
    Tom the Mime LL DD WL WL WL WW . WW WW 29 ImpIguana
    TiaC LL LL LL LL LL WL LL . WL 6 Balance, GodsEye
    Korith LL WL LL LL LL WW LL WL . 12 IsoScepter

Please verify that table.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2019-11-20 at 05:19 AM.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    Scryfall is probably your best bet.

Now that the new Lotus is gone I don't think any of the other cards are particularly impressive to be honest. Frogkin Kidnapper is one of the better 'Creature + Thoughtseize' options, but nothing else really jumps out to me as obviously better than existing options.

I was thinking about a Mirrored Lotus + Yawgmoth's Testament list, and had a first turn kill build with it, but I felt it was strictly worse than the Iguana.

16. - Top - End - #196

Very well. If nobody else isn't willing to do it, then I'll have to announce the winners. I'm not good at inventing witty titles like Tom, so feel free to write a better announcement if you can. These may still change if someone verifies the match results and finds bugs.

Return round 6 results.

Gold: Quiddle
    First place (in turn order): Ninjaman, Gauntlet, Bucky, Tom the Mime
    Black-bordered: Fable Wright
    Artifacts: ben-zayb, Korith
    Balanced: TiaC

Ban list:
    Spoiler: Ban list: Round 6
    Show
    Land: City of Traitors; Mishra's Workshop; Strip Mine

Artifact/Colourless: Black Lotus; Blacker Lotus; Karn, the Great Creator; Mirrored Lotus; The Rack; Liquimetal Coating; Mana Crypt; Lodestone Golem; Lion's Eye Diamond; Lupine Prototype; Sol Ring; Time Vault; Voltaic Key; Mox Pearl

White: Chancellor of the Annex; Serra Ascendant; Thalia, Guardian of Thraben; The Cheese Stands Alone

Blue: Jace, Wielder of Mysteries; Laboratory Maniac; Leyline of Anticipation

Black: Spike, Tournament Grinder; Street Wraith

Green: Crashing Footfalls; Collector Ouphe

Red: Empty

Gold: Empty

Please submit decks for Return round 7 to me in forum private message. Please mention that they're for round 7.

17. - Top - End - #197

The thread is going slowly, so I'll have to wait a bit more. I'll freeze the decks for Return round 7 on Thursday evening, at 2019-11-28 21:00 UTC, unless there's an unforseen complication. I will reveal the decks shortly after that.

18. - Top - End - #198

Wizards releases a silver-bordered holiday promo card every year. They don't appear in Gatherer. These cards always do something crazy, and so sometimes end up relevant in 3CB. Mishra's Toy Workshop, Thopter Pie Network, and Evil Presents were featured in the original 3CB thread.

Wizards just announced this year's card, Decorated Knight with an image. The card is immediately valid in 3CB. It's another wish card like Death Wish, so I presume the rule is still that it pulls cards from your sideboard, and the sideboard can contain three cards.

19. - Top - End - #199

Wish for three cards *and* a 3/3 body is a pretty nice effect, too. Mana cost is going to make it too weak for a while, though.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

If the body still matters when it comes out slow and gets 3 more cards, that'd be a surprise. Research is just better now given you can still play it T1 with moxes, can choose which cards so you don't get dead draws and you can use it with isochron for finer tuned library manipulation.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

It's also worth noting it puts them into your deck, so it can take three turns to get the card you want.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

If the body still matters when it comes out slow and gets 3 more cards, that'd be a surprise. Research is just better now given you can still play it T1 with moxes, can choose which cards so you don't get dead draws and you can use it with isochron for finer tuned library manipulation.
    Didn't Split Cards get a CMC rule revision during Amonkhet that would prevent Isochron Scepter shenanigans with Research?

23. - Top - End - #203
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Huh. So they did. I guess the Shelldock Isle deck I had last time doesn't work anymore. And I don't think the other variant can be used anymore with Lion's Eye Diamond banned. Might see if I can make it work later. Research still had a lot of potential even if I don't think it's quite there yet with the banlist. Because, as I keep saying, accessing your whole sideboard is very powerful. In this case, you trade a couple of turns in exchange for 2 extra mana sources, one of which needs to be blue or green I'd you're playing research T1 with dual lands. Might be fun to give it a try though.

Edit: I can see a way to make it work but there's at least 2 ways to cheat it out quicker although this one might be better at salvaging draws.
    Last edited by Tom the Mime; 2019-11-25 at 05:03 PM.

24. - Top - End - #204

Revealing the decks for Return of the M:tG vanishing three card blind, round 7.

Ninjaman: Memnite, Force of Will, Misdirection.
    Tom the Mime: Oko, Thief of Crowns, Treetop Village, Simic Growth Chamber.
    Gauntlet: Blackcleave Cliffs, Wrench-Rigger, Blackmail, contraption deck Dispatch Dispensary.
    Quiddle: Ivory Giant, Remote Farm, Balance.
    ben-zayb: Meddling Mage, Karakas, Mox Sapphire.

Sadly I only received 5 submissions this week. Note that 5 submissions is the minimum, if I only receive 4 submissions then I don't reveal anything and postpone the round.

Please do the judging and fill the results.
    N TM G Q bz
    Ninjaman . ?? ?? ?? ?? ? ForceWill Memnite
    Tom the Mime ?? . ?? ?? ?? ? Oko Treetop
    Gauntlet ?? ?? . ?? ?? ? Blackmail Rigger
    Quiddle ?? ?? ?? . ?? ? IvoryGiant Balance
    ben-zayb ?? ?? ?? ?? . ? MeddlingMage

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

ben-zayb DD Quiddle.

Quiddle can at least draw with whichever spell isn't Meddling Maged by blocking or removing. Ben-Zayb can draw by holding Meddling Mage until right before the Giant arrives and naming the Giant.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Firbolg in the Playground

Gauntlet: WW vs Tom, since Blackmail steals Growth Chamber turn 1 and then neither card can be used.
    LL vs Ninjaman. Blackmail gets Misdirected and takes out the Rigger, or Wrench-Rigger gets Force of Will'd.
    WW vs Quiddle. Gauntlet on the play removes the land and Quiddle can't play the game. On the draw, Quiddle plays the Rigger rather than Blackmail. At this point, if Quiddle plays Balance, all he succeeds in doing is destroying a 1/1, and the Giant is Blackmailed away. If he suspends the Giant, Blackmail takes Balance, and two 2/2s are able to stop the Ivory Giant and they can attack at will with Menace.
    WL vs ben-zayb. If Blackmail goes first, no Medding Mage. If Meddling Mage goes first, no rigger.

Ninjaman: WW vs Gauntlet, as above.
    LL vs Tom, since he loses to Manland beats.
    LL vs Quiddle. He can't counter the suspended Giant until Quiddle has had a chance to cast Balance, which must be countered. And even at 7 turns of Memnite beats into the game, Giant is a faster clock.
    WW vs ben-zayb. Counterspell wins.

Tom: LL vs Gauntlet, as above.
    WW vs Ninjaman, as above.
    LL vs Quiddle. He just can't resolve Oko before Quiddle has a chance to suspend Giant and cast Balance on an empty hand with no lands on the field.
    WW vs ben-zayb. Meddling Mage can't stop the Village.

Quiddle: LL vs Gauntlet, as above
    WW vs Ninjaman, as above.
    WW vs Tom.
    DD vs ben-zayb. Meddling Mage has to hit Balance, or else it will be Balanced away before the Giant is actually cast. Five to six turns of Meddling Mage beats hit for 10-12 damage, meaning that Giant can't win the race by attacking. Someone check my math on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    ben-zayb DD Quiddle.

Quiddle can at least draw with whichever spell isn't Meddling Maged by blocking or removing. Ben-Zayb can draw by holding Meddling Mage until right before the Giant arrives and naming the Giant.
    ben-zayb can't actually hold off on the Meddling Mage, since Balance would be cast with an empty hand and with no lands on the board. You HAVE to play Meddling Mage soon or Balance forces a discard.

ben-zayb: WL vs Gauntlet
    LL vs Ninjaman
    LL vs Tom the Mime
    DD vs Quiddle

I think Gauntlet wins at 15 points, narrowly beating out Quiddle at 14 for the win. Huzzah, wrench-rigger and Blackmail both leave the meta, and the decklists begin to open up!
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2019-11-28 at 04:50 PM.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

Looks like it wasn't quite the right time for Force of Will, though I am happy my Misdirection proved the right ditch card.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

28. - Top - End - #208

Writing the match results in Fable Wright's post to the table:
    N TM G Q bz
    Ninjaman . LL WW LL WW 12 ForceWill Memnite
    Tom the Mime WW . LL LL WW 12 Oko Treetop
    Gauntlet LL WW . WW WL 15 Blackmail Rigger
    Quiddle WW WW LL . DD 14 IvoryGiant Balance
    ben-zayb LL LL WL DD . 5 MeddlingMage

29. - Top - End - #209

Feels like Force + whatever has consistently been the second best deck for 5+ rounds in a row now.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

It was tied for third out of 5.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature