New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Lost Shadows of Olar IC

@Ian

The baron ordered his men to look after you, treat you slightly better than they would a normal prisoner. You were costly after all, the baron had to pay a hefty price to the inquisitor.
    They keep your hands tied, and at least two of them are watching you at all times.
    You are filthy, they don't even let you wipe yourself. They were told you were dangerous.

The Baron struck a deal with you. At first, he wanted to keep you as a supplier of alchemic goods and poisons. That would be a valuable asset in the constant intrigue of the Weringian court. But you talked about the stone. Cleverly convincing him that you could make it, but that you needed to cross the river and get hold of the secrets of Olar.

The legendary Olar.

You heard tales of an ancient master who once served the last king of olar. And of the mother queen herself as a practiced alchemist.

Old lady tales, probably. But beyond the river you can start again.

As long as you get rid of these guards...

You crossed the river a few hours ago, the mist so thick and deep that the other bank now seems a distant island, not even real. Now you are camped. Four men, four horses. A chest full of supplies, including key parts of your alchemical lab.

These Weringian warriors are tough and well trained. But you sense they hate this, they are afraid of this side of the river.

@Erdin

They took everything when they captured you. But humans, specially the Abunds and Weringians, seem blind to your true nature. Most don't even see you as a fey. And if they even see you as a crooked little human, is because of your taint. Oherwise you'll be invisible.

It was easy to get away. But there's no future for you in these lands. Only the wine is attractive, the rest is rotten and lost. Humans make everything so ****ing boring.

Perhaps your kind would be more forgiving, despite your taint.

Worth taking a risk.

Your way north took you over the lisian mountains, into Weringian territory and then west to the river.

There you saw it.

A Leonian Soulschild, bent over like a beast. A sight!

For a week you have followed it as it found a way to cross the river. And now both of you are on the other side.

Your intention is to find the Lake where the fey court lives.

@Kyanite

-This is strange.
    The doll crafter said as the shoulchild opened its eyes.

-This one has caught a rather interesting soulshard. It comes from a violent time, it had a violent death.

He explains to his apprentice as the doll gives a long mournful moan.

-It is experiencing the pain of its last death. It is extremely traumatic to be drawn from the sea of life into the world. Look how deep its eyes seem. We can glimpse the battle in them, and the final blow.

He brings the doll down from the hooks.

-Bring the archivists, this one has some memories to share.

The apprentice leaves the room. The doll is on its knees, holding its head. Struggling with memories of death. A battle ground lost in time and space. A man in a dark armor fighting a horde of howling warriors. It runs towards the man, it feels the man need its help. Then darkness and pain. And rage. A blinding rage.

They named you Kyanite. Luckly for you the master didn't die. He even talked in your favor. You had a purpose, he had said. The shards of memories in you were too wild. Not entirely human. You needed to put the pieces back together yourself.

They taught you how to discipline your rage and pain.

Then one night they took you ashore.

-Go North. Whatever happened to you lies beyond the line where Oblivion killed the memories of men. You must cross it, and find it. Or you'll never be whole. You are on borrowed time, my friend.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Lost Shadows of Olar IC

Not content with the current situation, Ian attempts to get his guards to loosen his ropes, or at least to speak with him: "Could you perhaps untie me now that we are here? I haven't had a proper bath in days and I would much rather face this place with you rather than watch helplessly should we run into some of the cursed natives."
    As he speaks Ian tries to gauge their reactions to find which of his guards may be convinced to let him loose.

Spoiler: Roll=
    Show
    I think a diplomacy roll may be fitting, gotta stand together against the cursed place after all.
    (1d20-1)[11]
    Last edited by Tjallen; 2019-10-22 at 08:45 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Erdin fingered his clothes. The nice furs he'd had--clothing enough to shelter a man through a snowstorm--had been taken away. He'd been given basic cotton clothes; they wouldn't do for a cold climate.

A few days ago, just before his crossing, he'd found work at a leatherworker's as an apprentice. The honest hours he'd put in allowed him to buy a comfy quilt and a good waterskin; 10 silver. He had used decent leather scraps and made an ugly--but sturdy--backback to house his quilt and skin. He'd taken a few parts--a steel rod and an old leather knife--from the shop, hoping the man wouldn't begrudge him his theft. His mind turned the recent events over and over as he slept. When was he going to be captured again?

He woke up with a start. What he'd thought last night was a rock was instead a...doll? A soulchild or something, a Leonian artifact. He'd read of it in his study with Mage-priest Hakar. He watched it suspiciously. It had only been a few months since he'd had to flee the Enclave, but his life of a vagrant made it seem just as long as the three years of tenure. Finally convinced that it wasn't doing to harm--at least for now--he tasked Spook, his smoke-cloud companion, with a Locate Object and an Extract Drug spell, both familiar to him. While he waited, Erdin looked at the landscape before him and thought about what he might find.

Spoiler: Skills
    Show

(1d20+11)[14] for Knowledge: nature. Thinking about mushrooms or plants that might grow in the region he can see.
    GreedLing avatar by Ceika
    Playing Thorn in Knee Breakers

more

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

kyanite

Attument complete... must assemble pet, "awaking" sequences commencing...

Eyes flicker on, raises upper body, scans the surroundings. Upon reaching the maximum Neuropticial rotation, he uses his arms to hoist his frame from the terraferma. He continues his scan upon completing the threat assessment he starts scanning for local fauna for components for his pet.

Spoiler: skills
    Show

Perception(1d20)[7]
    Survival(1d20+9)[23]
    Knowledge(nature)(1d20)[6]
    Last edited by WarHunter; 2019-10-26 at 03:48 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Tjallen View Post
    Not content with the current situation, Ian attempts to get his guards to loosen his ropes, or at least to speak with him: "Could you perhaps untie me now that we are here? I haven't had a proper bath in days and I would much rather face this place with you rather than watch helplessly should we run into some of the cursed natives."
    As he speaks Ian tries to gauge their reactions to find which of his guards may be convinced to let him loose.

Spoiler: Roll=
    Show
    I think a diplomacy roll may be fitting, gotta stand together against the cursed place after all.
    [roll0]

Ian One of the guards nods his head, they don't seem as aggressive now as they were before crossing the river. To an extent they also feel lost. None has ever returned from this side.

He approaches and cuts the ropes n your feet.

"You haven't earned my trust yet. But there's some reason in your words. Lets see what the next days hold. Clean yourself, we will be watching you."

Quote Originally Posted by ~Corvus~ View Post

Erdin fingered his clothes. The nice furs he'd had--clothing enough to shelter a man through a snowstorm--had been taken away. He'd been given basic cotton clothes; they wouldn't do for a cold climate.

A few days ago, just before his crossing, he'd found work at a leatherworker's as an apprentice. The honest hours he'd put in allowed him to buy a comfy quilt and a good waterskin; 10 silver. He had used decent leather scraps and made an ugly--but sturdy--backback to house his quilt and skin. He'd taken a few parts--a steel rod and an old leather knife--from the shop, hoping the man wouldn't begrudge him his theft. His mind turned the recent events over and over as he slept. When was he going to be captured again?

He woke up with a start. What he'd thought last night was a rock was instead a...doll? A soulchild or something, a Leonian artifact. He'd read of it in his study with Mage-priest Hakar. He watched it suspiciously. It had only been a few months since he'd had to flee the Enclave, but his life of a vagrant made it seem just as long as the three years of tenure. Finally convinced that it wasn't doing to harm--at least for now--he tasked Spook, his smoke-cloud companion, with a Locate Object and an Extract Drug spell, both familiar to him. While he waited, Erdin looked at the landscape before him and thought about what he might find.

Spoiler: Skills
    Show

[roll0] for Knowledge: nature. Thinking about mushrooms or plants that might grow in the region he can see.
    Erdin

Erdin found some tiny yellow mushrooms that could be made into a paste, ingested it causes muscuar relaxation and small auditive hallucinations. It's not wine, but it will do for now.

The Soulshild acts weirdly. Seems to be of a vry different nature from those you have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by WarHunter View Post
    kyanite

Attument complete... must assemble pet, "awaking" sequences commencing...

Eyes flicker on, raises upper body, scans the surroundings. Upon reaching the maximum Neuropticial rotation, he uses his arms to hoist his frame from the terraferma. He continues his scan upon completing the threat assessment he starts scanning for local fauna for components for his pet.

Spoiler: skills
    Show

Perception[roll0]
    Survival[roll1]
    Knowledge(nature)[roll2]

Kyanite,
    that's the name they gave you. But so close to this land, there's a pulse of something radically different from that. You scan the land, looking for fauna. The banks of the river seem eerily empty of animal life.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    I don't really get what you mean by "pet"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"You surely mean to untie the ropes on my hands as well, it is rather hard to get out of this shirt with my hands tied after all." Ian says as he holds up his hands expectantly.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Erdin follows the instructions of the Extraction spell he's used: he pours from his waterskin and with a decent indent in a nearby rock, crushes the mushrooms to a paste, which he downs with a bit more water. Simple enough, and soon he luxuriates in the sensations. His memories bring about past lectures, and he hears snippets; his memories, evoked through the haze of drug, recall the Soulschild as a doll: a simple receptacle incapable of independent movement. Clearly, those times were well past him.

He puffs on his pipe--which he must have lit recently--and from its haze a cloud coalesces above him
    "spook. Spook! Findyou muchaste Burnhands an' Pigfat?"
    Spoiler: timing
    Show

(1d4)[4] rounds Flaming Hands
    (1d4)[3] rounds Grease

"3 an 4 breath. Notlong!" The haze dissipates a bit, spreading into the wind as one might expect pipe smoke to do. He watches the Soulschild, content to listen to the winds and his mind fill in time.
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2019-10-30 at 12:29 AM.

more

8. - Top - End - #8

Lizardfolk

Kyanite

...no threat detected, no acquisition fauna detected.

Mobile search engaged.

Engaging his legs he raised his frame up in a way that would be awkward and difficult for an organic, but he raised his frame up into its "upright" position. His frame studded with stone spikes, his exterior seemingly scarred from savage removal of standard armor exterior of a soulchild. Though the acar are difficult to see as his stone components have grown lichen just as his wooden muscular system is draped in moss. The few bit of metal like his bear trap like jaws are studded with bits of rust, making his teeth appear constantly bloody.

Seeing that this river location is not a common animal gathering location. He heads off at brisk pace diagonally away from the river, always searching for animal.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Erdin had turned away from Kyanite when it rocked and creaked awake. It didn't even stop to wipe itself of the flora that had made its body a home; it strikes out at a very fast pace.

Hey! HEYYY!!
    Some doll--
    He started to run to catch up. He looked over his shoulder, spotting his just-made bag, bedroll, and supplies. They were propped against a tree by the river they'd been resting at. [COLOR="#"]Seriously!?! [/COLOR]. There was no time to double back; all he could do was do his best to keep up.

WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING FOR?!? he yells towards Kyanite. I COULD HELP YOU FIND IT!! He sprinted further, following only the crush of shrubbery the creature left behind. Just ignore the voices, ignore the lectures he told himself.

When exploring new territories, one lecture continued, Never leave your supplies behind. Just ignore them. Especially for new discoveries or strange creatures; excited behavior or irrational action could lead to your death.

No time for lectures, he told himself. No time at all.

more

10. - Top - End - #10

Lizardfolk

Kyanite

Bends over to stop his momentum, as his hands touch the ground causing him to spin around leaving skid marks in the turf. He stays in this crouch for a few moments.

DANGER DANGER DANGER, Social interaction detected. Shutting down primary systems, engaging sub routines of soul drive.

Righting himself as a regular soulchild, he waves, Greetings, I have been designated as Kyanite.
    Stops waving.
    What is your designation?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Erdin nearly smashes into the creature as it faces him; he registers its question and gasps, Imbix Fog!

Uh..Storyteller and peacemaker! I have come to this land to seek allies among these peoples.

more

12. - Top - End - #12

Lizardfolk

Kyanite

stored contact "Storyteller and peacemaker" in soul drive.
    Well met Storyteller and peacemaker. tilts his head to the right, then pivots 360 degrees to the left.
    no people detected.
    Good luck finding people,Storyteller and peacemaker.
    Straightens his head Why do you need allies, Storyteller and peacemaker?
    Last edited by WarHunter; 2019-11-03 at 10:24 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Erdin leans in, softening his voice. "Well, I think it's also a good idea for you to have allies too. This land is a mysterious place. While you were curled into your vegetative state and fostered those growths of flora, this region has allowed many strange men wielding strange, terrible magics and even more terrible creatures that have come into frontier towns across the mountains and laid waste to them. Our safety here is uncertain. Thus, it's best that we stick together.

Now...what are you looking for?

more

14. - Top - End - #14

Lizardfolk

Kyanite

Uneasily I am looking for local Fauna to acquisition a form for my pet. After that I will protect the forest with my fists. (raising his forearm up with his clenched fist as he said that last part.) Looking over the landscape The world of men do not interest me, i have flashes of memories of men shakes head. Very painful memories. I have no desire for allies but as long as you don't harm the forest you are not my enemy and can do what you like. outstretching a hand it seems you left some supplies behind, the least i could do is give you a lift over there.
    Last edited by WarHunter; 2019-11-04 at 04:27 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Erdin nods his head in acknowledgement and begins a walk back to the glade. You'll excuse me if I decline the ride.

I have no love for the people beyond those mountains...but I know our travel here could be perilous. The fey, on the other hand, would agree with your views on nature. They tend to the animals and forests, too, so perhaps we could find them later, too!

...If it's not too much trouble to ask, what are your memories of the past? Hoow long have you been here?

more

16. - Top - End - #16

Lizardfolk

Kyanite

accessing soul drive back up memory
    There was a figure in dark armor fighting howling men, so much rage.

I don't know how long i have been here or much since i was initialized.

Do you think there are any fey on this side of the river?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

The great part of this land is there are Fey many places! I'm not certain your memories are certainly useful now, but they might be able to place them together. I've heard stories of how they can see into the World of Dreams.

And I've tried to do with so many substances,
    he mumbles this last under his breath. He looks around the stream and ponders the query posed to him.

I'm not sure, but I can requisition magical help. Is that what you've been looking for? Fey?

more

18. - Top - End - #18

Lizardfolk

Kyanite

Shakes his head, No, i was looking for local Fauna. A interesting secondary directive you inspired would be finding fey.

What are you looking for?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

As I said earlier, I'm looking for allies! he looks closer at Kyanite, probing the loose mosses and picking a few off.
    I'm not sure you're functioning well. But that's OK! Not all of us have great days; sometimes we have bad days, and maybe today is a bad day for you. So let's do some magic, aye?

Prepared to finally cast another spell, Erdin casts Locate Object, targeting The nearest Fey building within 600'

Knowing the spell will last for 5 minutes, he informs Kyanite and instructs him to carry them both, reassuring it that some movement will do a world of good.

more

20. - Top - End - #20

Lizardfolk

Kyanite

Affirmative
    direction obtained, including passager in travel.
    Commencing overland "run" action.
    picks up "Storyteller and peacemaker" and runs towards the direction he was given. Sounding like a siege engine as traveling at 2000ft per minute or 22.7mph.
    Last edited by WarHunter; 2019-11-20 at 05:53 AM.