New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default 3.5 Help finding crafting cost reducer

This is ancient, I realize, but I can't find it. So I'm calling upon GitP to show its knowledge.

Complete Cost Reduction Handbook

One of the ways to reduce crafting costs is apparently to use Bind Elemental. (specifically a colossal elemental) This is from Eberron Campaign Setting and Magic of Eberron.

However, I've gone looking through both those books and I can't find anywhere that says you get X% off the price when binding in an elemental. I'm trying to make a crafter cohort, and I'd like to see the language for this and make sure I'm doing it properly.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: 3.5 Help finding crafting cost reducer

Magic of Eberron is by and far one of my favorite books in the entire Eberron line-up, if only because it includes so many enjoyable things that I adore. From the flexible Schemas to the Impure Prince (my favorite prestige class from 3.x), to the completely insane nature of Elemental Binding (detailed from pages 10 to 14), I am always adamant that this book be included in any game that wants to capture the truly amazing magitek of Eberron.

The rules in question that you are looking for are on page 13.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic of Eberron, page 13
    Transferring an elemental of a particular size has no effect on the final powers of the item, which are determined by the creator of the item (and thus determine the final cost, as well as the cost in materials). While binding a larger elemental does not add power or extra abilities to the item, it does reduce the cost to create the item. When determining the gold piece cost in raw materials needed to craft the item, the elemental item’s creator reduces the base price by 5% per size category of the elemental above Medium (an elemental to be bound must have at least 4 Hit Dice). Thus, binding a Medium elemental to an item provides the same effect as binding a Huge one, but the former item costs normal price, while the latter item costs 10% less to create.

This discount does not impact the market price of the item; savings on elemental item creation go directly back into the pocket of the creator—or the organization that employs the creator.