The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 133
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Hannahbbug3's Alone Against the Flames IC

    For reference this is taken from Alone Against the Flames written by Mike Mason, Paul Fricker, and Gavin Inglis, thank you!

    Do You Hear the Call of Cthulhu?
    “The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
    —H. P. Lovecraft, The Call of Cthulhu

    Welcome to Call of Cthulhu, a Horror/Investigative roleplaying game of mystery wherein you, an ordinary person, shall encounter and confront the terrifying alien forces of the Cthulhu mythos. Now, to begin is quite simple, and this first introduction shall operate similar to a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure story (this is done in order to help with an easy transition between the investigation-heavy Call of Cthulhu, and most other RPGs). Nevertheless, it is time to begin... welcome, to Alone Against the Flames.

    ----
    Plymouth NH, 2:44 PM, September 1st, 1921.

    The sun is high in the sky, a merciless ball of heat. You feel scorched by the time you reach the bus halt in front of Osborn’s Drug Store. It’s a relief to put down your heavy cases and take off your hat for a moment. You fan your face. It has been a long summer here, in your hometown, and yet a curiously empty one.
    You look across the street at the grubby butcher’s shop, the grocers with its faded awning, and the shabby tobacconist. Mistrustful faces glare at you as they pass, eyeing your clothes and luggage. It was your parents’ choice to live here, not yours. You were happy down south as a child, among Providence’s white-walled houses and leafy churchyards. Perhaps this new job in Arkham will supply the change you need.
    Yet everybody you know in the world lives here. You know nobody in Arkham, not one soul. You ask yourself one last
    time if you are doing the right thing.
    The answer is here. None of your supposed friends have come to see you off. You are alone. Whatever challenges lie in Arkham, it will be a new life, and a brave one.
    A small gray motor coach approaches and rattles to a stop. You put your hat back on and pick up your cases.

    Two young men with sullen expressions alight from the coach. One looks you up and down before heading away. The driver also steps down, glancing at you before crossing the road to visit the tobacconist. When he returns, he is rolling a cigarette between his yellowed fingers. He gives it a final twist and examines you as he reaches for his matchbox. He is a thin man in his fifties, dressed in a stained shirt with the bus company emblem. Yet his eyes are sharp in their dark sockets.
    Where to?

    You show him your ticket for Ossipee. From there you will connect to Rochester and Portsmouth, before the coastal line to Newburyport and, finally, Arkham. You should be able to afford a rail ticket for at least some of the way; otherwise this will be the first of many long bus trips.
    Mmm-hm.” The driver scratches the match and lights his cigarette. The end flares as he takes a draw. Then he exhales and gestures to the back of the coach. “Luggage rack’s up there.

    ----
    In Call of Cthulhu (somewhat like most other RPGs) there are eight characteristics Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Appearance, Size, Power, Education, and Intelligence
    • Strength: This is a measure of the physical prowess of your investigator
    • Dexterity: This is a measure of the agility and speed of your investigator
    • Constitution: This is a measure of the physical toughness and stamina of your investigator
    • Appearance: This is a measure of the physical appeal of your investigator
    • Size: This is a combined measure of your investigator's height and weight, also used in determining their force behind their attacks and health
    • Power: This is a measure of your investigator's mental stability, force of will, or spirit
    • Intelligence: This is a measure of the logic and cunning of your investigator
    • Education: This is a measure of your investigator's tutelage, be it from formal education or the "school of hard knocks"

    For the very early image you have of your character, please rank these characteristics in whatever order you choose. No need for anything else than this right now. Also, yes, I understand that this is not really your standard introduction to an In-Character Thread, but let's roll with it!

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    hannahbbug3's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    In the Clouds
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Hannahbbug3's Alone Against the Flames IC

    Reuben Massie’s mother died before he ever opened his eyes. Mary Massie died in childbirth, leaving Reuben and his father Barton – a Civil War veteran of the Union Army – to be a family without her maternal love. Reuben’s father, devastated by the loss of his wife, picked up their small family and took it north from the Providence that Reuben was born in – opening a building and loan in Plymouth. That was how he'd come to live here in this dingy city, learning mathematics and accounting and all in the hopes of taking over the family business one day. It was the twenties. The population was booming now that the soldiers had returned from war and there were plenty of people interested in getting loans from the Massie's business. Things seemed better than they ever were - of course, that was when things always went wrong, didn't they?

    Four months ago, Reuben’s father took ill with consumption. To stave off the illness which could be deadly, he moved once again – back south, this time, to the mountains of Virginia where the air was crisp and clean and natural springs were said to offer a speedy recovery for his ailment. He left Reuben the bank and the house, but the young man of only twenty-seven was not as prepared as he could be. One of the clerks took the opportunity to embezzle most everything, and now, well... obviously, he was looking for a job in Arkham.

    He wasn't entirely alone, however. No, Reuben had never really felt alone in his life, or unmothered. In truth, Reuben always had a mother, growing up. He had always been able to see her. He recalled, when he was little, waking up in the night and seeing the soldier in blue standing at the foot of his crib, gently rocking it back and forth with a smile on her face and affection in her eyes. When he finally learned how to speak and ask her name, the one he got was ‘Andrew.’ But he always knew she was a woman.

    It wasn’t until he was seven years old when he began to understand the concept of death. He hadn’t quite grasped, before then, why his father was called a widower. But then, as these things tend to happen, he one day just… understood. And it was that same day that he realized why his father had never spoken to Andrew, why she never seemed fully there. It was because only Reuben could see her. And… because she wasn’t fully there, at all. She was a spirit, known only to him.

    There never seemed to be a good or polite time to ask Andrew about it. After all, didn’t it just seem rude, to ask your resident, friendly haunt what they were doing there and how they had died? So, Reuben waited for quite some time to get his answer – years, in fact. Even when he grew up from a boy into a man, she was always there, watching out for him. On the days when she felt strong, she would do simple tasks around the house – things that Reuben’s father always seemed to take for granted, like the dishes being cleaned, the laundry being folded, the gunsafe being locked, the windows being shut when there was a chill. But Reuben knew it was her, his second mother. Looking out for them both even if she wasn’t related by blood.

    She was somewhere nearby, even now. At least, Reuben thought he had the sense of her. But he certainly didn't bring that up as he boarded the bus. He was, in fact, not entirely sure that she would be coming with him on this trip. He had never ventured so far from home before.

    He sat down and looked out the window as his hometown faded from view.

    Spoiler: Ranking of Abilities
    Show
    1: Power
    2: Education
    3: Intelligence
    4: Appearance
    5: Constitution
    6: Dexterity
    7: Size
    8: Strength
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2019-10-23 at 12:16 AM.
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

    If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

    -Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hannahbbug3's Alone Against the Flames IC

    Ok, read through that whole thing and I love it. Definitely fits the theme, and I think I'm going to have some fun with this. Albeit, not in the way you might think (then again I am not privy to the machinations of your mind so I honestly have no idea what you're thinking )
    ----

    The driver continues to enjoy his cigarette, watching with keen interest as you struggle with the cases. You grit your teeth and heave the second one into place. Perhaps the residents of Arkham will have better manners.

    The driver flicks his cigarette into the gutter and steps into the motor coach. Its engine coughs into life. You board, grateful that you will be the only passenger for the initial part of your trip at least. With mixed emotions, you watch from the window as the tired avenues of your old home slip behind you, receding into the distance. For a few minutes, you can still see the church spire over the brow of a low hill. Then the road dips and it, too, is gone.
    Arkham is your new home. You will travel there, and make a new start.
    ----

    Note that you have a certain amount of Sanity and Magic Points that will fluctuate throughout the game based on your Power. Magic Points regenerate over time and while Sanity sorta does, it will change much more than Magic Points will (if they'll change at all).
    ----

    The coach putters through the countryside. At first, the interior is stifling and your stomach lurches with every bend in the road. However, the driver opens his window, and by switching seats you find a spot where the breeze hits your face. You soon relax into the journey, observing the quaint little hamlets that the coach serves. A heavy-set woman boards at one settlement and gives you a polite nod. She gets off at the next one.
    ----

    You also have a number of Hit Points based on your Size and Constitution. These too will fluctuate, and while they do regenerate like Magic Points it is nowhere near the level of D&D regeneration (also it's unlikely to ever exceed your maximum).
    You also have something called a Luck score, which basically determines how things outside of your control respond to you. Please roll 3d6 to help me facilitate determining your Luck.

    ----

    The road rises a little, passing cornfields and orchards. The leaves are turning and the trees are alive with glorious reds and golds. You have just begun to doze when the driver takes a tight bend at speed.
    ----

    In addition to the Luck roll, please also give me a Dexterity roll by rolling 1d100.
    Also, sorry for all of the OOC notes...
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-22 at 08:40 PM.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    hannahbbug3's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    In the Clouds
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Hannahbbug3's Alone Against the Flames IC

    Despite the slight discomfiture of being on the road, Reuben doesn't mind it too much. While he has ridden in a motorcar before - his father owned one, but had taken it south with him - he hasn't ridden in one for this long, before. After a while, the bumps and divets in the road make his back ache a bit, and he takes the opportunities when the coach stops to stretch his legs. The curving country road turns his stomach a bit when he looks away from the windows for too long. So much for the newspaper he'd brought with him, he'd have to find time to read it later, when he wasn't carsick. Even so, the breeze is nice, and... as said before, he doesn't mind it too much.

    After all, it's been quite some time since he's been this far out of the city. Oh, of course, he went on Sunday drives with his father in the rural areas around Plymouth, but the city was always somewhere on the horizon. From here, there was no sign of it. Only the rolling hills and trees of the American countryside. In a way, it was quite liberating. He was leaving behind a lot, to be sure. Friends, associates. Some debts that would catch up with him sooner or later. But it wasn't so much a parting for him as it was a fresh start.

    His thoughts are interrupted, however, with the sudden, jarring turn. He swiftly tries to grab on to something-!

    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Luck - (3d6)[12]
    Dex - (1d100)[36]
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

    If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

    -Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hannahbbug3's Alone Against the Flames IC

    So much for dozing it seems . Anyway, you rolled below your Dexterity which means that you have succeeded on your roll. Interestingly, in Call of Cthulhu, your stats are what actually determine the difficulty of your attempt as opposed to a set DC like in D&D
    ----

    A desperate yell awakens you. You feel yourself slide from the seat as the driver spins the wheel and the motor-coach plunges off the road. You grab hold of the seat in front, just in time to prevent a painful fall. The coach stops with a thump.
    Now you see what has happened. A Fordson tractor has stopped in the road and your driver has had to swerve to avoid this steel obstacle. He leaps from his seat into the road, unleashing a string of curses at the farmer.
    You take a moment to catch your breath. Perhaps you should offer assistance? But the driver has already returned. He backs the coach up a little and threads it around the tractor, glaring at the farmer.

    You resume your journey. The driver takes the curves with more caution than before. He glances over his shoulder at you a couple of times.
    Sorry about before,” he says. “That fella was dumber than a hog. I’m Silas. What’s your name?



    The accident was at least as much Silas’s fault as the farmer’s. But it doesn’t seem shrewd to antagonize the man while he is driving you through the middle of nowhere.
    ----

    Just wondering how old is Reuben? Based on your description I would assume somewhere between 23 and 36 or so?
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-22 at 11:54 PM.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    hannahbbug3's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    In the Clouds
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Hannahbbug3's Alone Against the Flames IC

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Good guess! Reuben is 27. His father is quite a bit older than him, but that happened back then Barton Massie is 76, at this point, and will probably die from consumption if old age doesn't get him first.


    Brown eyes go wide as Reuben - and the car itself - nearly takes a tumble. He knew car accidents were happening more often these days, with more and more motorized vehicles on the road. He remembered reading about one of the first ones that had ever happened - less interesting because of the accident itself, but because of the victim. The man at the wheel, a veteran of the same war as his father, had died, and it had been posthumously found out that the supposed 'man' was a woman who had joined the army, and after the war had discovered she liked being a man so much more that she'd just kept that new identity... the story had made him think of Andrew when he read it. He wondered where she was right now? Maybe she'd meet him in Arkham. He hoped so.

    Righting his bowtie and putting his hair back in place as the driver returns, Reuben merely clears his throat and quirks his brow when Silas first returns. An unvoiced 'all right, there?'. But when the driver doesn't respond to the nonverbal prompt, Reuben figures it best that he keep the silence. The man might be angry, after all, and what's more, needed to focus on the road, so Reuben doesn't break that.

    When Silas does, however, Reuben gives a smile and polite nod to the driver. "Reuben Massie," he returns. "On my way to Arkham for a new job," he adds after a moment. After all, if it's going to be small talk, that would probably be the driver's next question. "Have you been to Arkham before, sir?"

    It's as safe a topic as any, Reuben figures. Best not bring up that accident. At least, not right now. It isn't as though Reuben could have handled it any better - he doesn't really know how to drive, himself.
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2019-10-23 at 12:12 AM.
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

    If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

    -Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hannahbbug3's Alone Against the Flames IC

    The coach turns onto a narrower road, which weaves uphill through woodland. Silas becomes chatty.
    Can’t say I ever heard of the place. Went to Boston once. Didn’t like it. Too much hustle and bustle.
    The afternoon is wearing on. You see no harm in confiding in Silas about your new life.
    A job, eh? What’s your line?

    You mention your work as a financial consultant. You think about Miskatonic University, the renowned school for the "Old Gentry" of Massachusetts. Although its hallowed halls rake in quite a pretty penny, they still most certainly need someone to manage their affairs, and you just happened to be the right man for the job. The administration offered you a position to begin work evaluating their financial plans and to be honest, you can't wait. Normally you're calm and composed, but this is the biggest opportunity you've had in your life, and you are most certainly not going to screw it up (you even bought new shoes for the occasion).
    "Hmmm..." Silas wrinkles his nose. “I had enough of numbers when I was a young ‘un. Still, I suppose it’s well enough for those who likes it.
    ----

    So, as a Financial Consultant you gain the following occupational skills: Accounting (for obvious reasons), Law (for knowing proper legal precedents concerning taxes, expenses, and whatnot), Library Use (for searching through files and expense reports), Listen (for being mindful during interviews with people concerning their reports), Persuade (for making sure that the truth eventually comes to light through logic and debate), and Spot Hidden (for noticing any irregularities in one's work or the work of others).
    However, in addition to these six you also gain two more of your choice. Please try and pick ones that you think Reuben would use as a Financial Consultant. I apologize for the long list...


    I'll also provide a short sentence description or so for each.
    Spoiler: Skills (so many)
    Show
    • Accounting (you have this skill) - understanding of accountacy procedures; reveals the financial functioning of a business or a person.
    • Antropology - identify and understand an individual's or culture's way of life throuh observation
    • Appraise - estimate the value of a particular item, including the quality, material used, and workmanship.
    • Archeology - allows dating and idetifying artifacts from past cultures as well as detecting fakes
    • Arts/Crafts - allows the creation, making, or repair of an item which could be artistic (painting, singing, etc...) or craft-related (woodworking, cookery, etc...). Each one requires its own choice.
    • Charm - physical attraction, seduction, flattery, or simply warmth of personality.
    • Climb - climb trees, walls, and other vertical surfaces with or without ropes or climbing gear.
    • Disguise - used whenever you wish to appear to be someone other than whom you are.
    • Dodge - allows one to instinctively evade blows, thrown missiles, and so forth.
    • Drive Auto - drive a car or light truck, make ordinary maneuvers, and cope with ordinary vehicle problems.
    • Electrical Repair - repair or reconfigure electrical equipment, such as auto ignitions, electric motors, fuse boxes, and burglar alarms.
    • Fast Talk - specifically limited to verbal trickery, deception, and misdirection, such as bamboozling a bouncer to let you inside a club, getting someone to sign a form they haven't read, making a policeman look the other way, and so on.
    • Fighting - one's skill in melee combat. There are also different specializations such as Sword, Axe, Spear, or Whip, which each require their own choice.
    • Firearms - covers all manner of firearms, as well as bows and crossbows. There are different specializations including Handguns, Rifles/Shotguns, Bows, and Crossbows
    • First Aid - emergency medical care, not for diseases (see Medicine).
    • History - recall a historical detail or event, the significance of a country, city, region, or person, as pertinent.
    • Intimidate - browbeating or making verbal threats to get your way.
    • Other Language - Knowledge (ability to understand, speak, read, and write) of a language that's not your own. Each language is its own choice.
    • Own Language - Knowledge of your own language (presumably English)
    • Law (you have this skill) - represents the chance of knowing pertinent law, precedent, legal maneuvers, or court procedure.
    • Library Use (you have this skill) - Find a piece of information, such as a certain book, newspaper, reference in a library, or a collection of documents (assuming there's information to be found).
    • Listen (you have this skill) - interpret and understand sound, including overheard conversations, mutters behind a closed door, and whispered words in a cafe.
    • Locksmith - open car doors, hotwire autos, jimmy libtary windows, figure out Chinese puzzle boxes, and penetrate ordinary alarm systems.
    • Mechanical Repair - repair a broken machine or create a new one.
    • Medicine - diagnose and treat accidents, injuries, diseases, poisonings, etc...
    • Natural World - represents the traditional (unscientific) knowledge and personal observation of farmers, fishermen, inspired amateurs, and hobbyists.
    • Navigate - take the correct path to a destination, whether in a strange city or the wilderness.
    • Occult - recognize occult paraphernalia, words and concepts, as well as folk traditions; can also identify grimoires of magic and occult codes.
    • Operate Heavy Machinery - required to drive and operate a train, steam engine, bulldozer, or other large-scale land machine.
    • Persuade (you have this skill) - convince a person of a particular idea, concept, or belief through reasoned argument, debate, and discussion (although this does not necessarily have to employ the truth).
    • Pilot - allows the safe operation of a boat, aircraft, or dirigible. Each one is its own skill.
    • Psychoanalysis - refers to the range of emotional therapies.
    • Psychology - perception, common to all humans, to form an idea of another person's motives and character, and detect if a person is lying.
    • Ride - applies to saddle horses, donkeys, and mules, granting knowledge of basic care of the riding anaimal, riding gear, and how to handle the steed at a gallop or on difficult terrain.
    • Science - practical and theoretical ability with a science specialty gained from some degree of formalized education and training, although a well-read amateur scientist may also be a possibility. These specializations include: Astronomy, Biology, Botany, Chemistry, Cryptography, Geology, Pharmacy, Physics, Zoology, etc... Each one is its own skill.
    • Sleight of Hand - allows the visual covering-up, secreting, or masking of an object or objects, perhaps with debris, cloth, or other illusion-promoting materials.
    • Spot Hidden (you have this skill) - find a secret door or compartment, notice a hidden intruder, see an inconspicuous clude, recognize a repainted automobile, become aware of ambushers, etc. - an important skill in the armory of an investigator.
    • Stealth - when attempting to avoid detection, moving quietly, and hiding without alerting those who might hear or see.
    • Survival - expertise required to survive in extreme conditions, such as in desert or arctic conditions, as well as on the sea or in wilderness terrain. Each environment is its own skill.
    • Swim - ability to float and to move through water or other liquid in times of crisis or danger.
    • Throw - hit a target with an object.
    • Track - follow a person, vehicle, or animal over earth, and through plants.


    Oh boy, that was long. I listed all of them for later reference, as well as to let you know that as long as it makes sense, any of these can be involved in your occupation (although I'd hope you would provide reasoning for such a thing). So, with all that out of the way, choose two!
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-23 at 08:21 AM.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    hannahbbug3's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    In the Clouds
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Hannahbbug3's Alone Against the Flames IC

    Spoiler: Skill Choice
    Show
    Aaaah, only two more?
    I think Psychology for one. Reuben would be someone who deals with a wide variety of people, and some less trustworthy than others. He needs to be able to tell a bit about a person to make sure they're not trying to commit fraud. (Too bad that didn't work with the embezzling clerk, but we can put that down to the fact that that was a hire under his father's watch.)

    Second, Appraise. Would come into play in evaluating someone's personal wealth in their estate, their resources, and other material things. Another factor in determining a person's financial stability and their ability to make good choices with loaned money.

    "They aren't all bad - numbers. There's a certain kind of magic in them... well. If you tilt your head and squint a little bit, which makes me sound crazy, I'm sure. But I find it interesting, how patterns in math can be seen in the natural world..." Reuben hums. He's done a bit of reading on that new Numerology that people have started to become interested in with Spiritualism on the rise, and while he doesn't put any divine sort of stock in numbers, it's at least interesting. And in a world where ghosts rocked you to sleep at night, who was to say if it was real or not? Reuben wasn't the sort to just dismiss something on the basis that it sounded crazy.

    Still, concrete numbers and patterns did a lot more to persuade him than some theory published in a magazine. He shakes his head a bit. "You know that there are flowers that are perfect representations of the Fibonacci sequence?" he asks Silas, before realizing the conversation may very well be going over his head. Reuben backtracks a little, and clears his throat. "But I do digress. Tell me about yourself, sir. How long have you been driving for Rahman and Costello?"
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

    If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

    -Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hannahbbug3's Alone Against the Flames IC

    You notice Silas looks back every now and then during the early bits of the conversation. However, as you continue he focuses more and more on the road. Albeit when you stop speaking it takes him a moment to register that you've actually asked a question of him. Thus there are a couple of moments of silence before a quick "Long time..." Seems he doesn't want to chat about numbers even in his response.

    You realize Silas hasn’t made a stop since the incident with the tractor. The motor coach winds its way uphill. However, your thoughts are interrupted as the road crests a ridge and you are treated to a magnificent view of the vista below.
    ----

    Note that even if you don't pick it as an Occupational Skill or a Personal Interest, you can still attempt any skill roll, having what's called a Base ability in it. There will more than likely be a slight, but nevertheless present, chance of you succeeding on anything you attempt.
    ----

    A creek snakes through the valley, breaking the rich autumn palette of the tree line. In the distance the White Mountains rise into hazy cloud. There is no settlement, not even a cabin, as far as the eye can see. Birds drift through the treetops, and you can just make out what might be two white-tailed deer lingering by the water.
    Perhaps you are making a mistake by moving to the city. Could you survive on your own in this lush wilderness?
    ----

    Speaking of Personal Interest Skills from before, please choose four skills that represent Reuben's Personal interests (so things unrelated to his occcupation, in fact they cannot be the same as his occupational skills).

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    hannahbbug3's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    In the Clouds
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Hannahbbug3's Alone Against the Flames IC

    Spoiler: Personal Skills
    Show
    Occult: He's spent some time learning a bit due to Andrew's presence in his life.
    Firearms: With a father who's a Civil War Veteran, Barton would have taken the time to show his son how to handle a rifle. They probably still own the one that Barton used during the war, though it's more than 50 years old at this point so who knows if it even works anymore?
    Charm: Working in a public field, Reuben's learned the merit of being able to flatter someone else, and is conscious of what others think of him.
    Other Language: Latin. It's fairly standard to learn another language at this time period, and Latin's a good "educated" staple, even if Reuben isn't a doctor and it's most useful in the medical field. Or religious field.

    The conversation tapers off from there, as Reuben once again turns his attention to his surroundings. He hadn't realized there were sections of the east cost that were still this open and unsettled. Out west was apparently where all the wide open spaces were, and where everyone was going to find elbow room. For someone who'd lived most of their life with personal needs in walking distance, the concept of forging out on his own in the open seemed almost preposterous. There was a certain charm in the idea of living in a cabin in the woods. But as soon as Reuben thought about chopping his own firewood, it didn't seem so quaint anymore.
    "Is it much longer before we reach Ossipee?" he asks, breaking the silence.
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

    If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

    -Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hannahbbug3's Alone Against the Flames IC

    Note that Firearms is made up of skills like Firearms (Handguns), Firearms (Submachine Guns), etc... so I'm going to mark down Firearms (Rifles/Shotguns) because that's how you described gaining the skill.
    ----

    "We'll be drivin' late into the night." Silas' taciturn response makes it seem that he himself has consigned to simply being a watchful warden of the road. You recall that you had made plans with Boston and Maine to catch a railway early tomorrow. It's going to be a night full of wakefulness and travel it seems.

    The motor coach rattles on through the hills and Silas lapses into silence. The sky darkens behind you, pinks tinting the clouds as the sun descends. Finally a welcome sight comes into view: a settlement on the crest of a hill. This doesn’t look like the pictures you’ve seen of Ossipee. But perhaps you can persuade Silas to stop while you stretch your legs.
    ----

    Please do not comment on anything related to IC just yet. I need to know the order of your skills. You currently have chosen: Accounting, Law, Library Use, Listen, Persuade, Spot Hidden, Psychology, and Appraise. Please rate these from highest to lowest.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-23 at 04:29 PM.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    hannahbbug3's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    In the Clouds
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Hannahbbug3's Alone Against the Flames IC

    Spoiler: Skill Ranking
    Show
    1: Accounting
    2: Library Use
    3: Listen
    4: Psychology
    5: Appraise
    6: Spot Hidden
    7: Persuade
    8: Law
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

    If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

    -Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hannahbbug3's Alone Against the Flames IC

    Minutes later, a harsh stuttering from the engine interrupts your reverie. Silas frowns and rattles the gear stick. The motor coach falters in its ascent. Silas utters a curse you don’t recognize and grinds his teeth, struggling at the wheel. You seem to inch up the hill until you reach the first buildings, low dwellings constructed from a rough red stone. Silas wrestles the coach into a small bay off the road. He scrambles from his seat and makes for the engine compartment.
    ----

    Please give me either a Drive Auto (you consider yourself an amateur in this field) roll or a Hard Psychology (you consider yourself a professional in this field) roll. A Hard roll means that you must roll equal to or under half of your skill level.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-23 at 04:46 PM.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    hannahbbug3's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    In the Clouds
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Hannahbbug3's Alone Against the Flames IC

    Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    Considering Reuben was thinking earlier about how terrible he is at driving motorcars, let's try this Psychology roll!

    (1d100)[36]
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

    If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

    -Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hannahbbug3's Alone Against the Flames IC

    In all honesty, the way he's moving, his intonation, and everything is rather different from those who you've met before. Not incredibly different, but compared to the urban-folk you're used to dealing with, this driver is almost impossible to actually get a read on. Either way, coincidences happen, and to be honest, it's lucky you ended up next to a town instead of miles away from one.

    Silas opens the engine compartment open and sticks his head inside. The hot metal pops and sizzles. He pokes at various components, then withdraws and wipes his brow, smearing it with dark grease.
    I ain’t sure what’s wrong. Might be the oil pressure. Might be something knocked off kilter when we took that spill. Can’t do much until the engine cools neither. And with the light failing… I reckon we’ll be here through the night.” He wipes his hands on a rag.
    The shadows from your surroundings are already long, and the air is chilly. You feel stiff from the journey and a night in the rickety coach sounds unappealing. Silas sees your dismay.
    This here’s Emberhead. Miles from anyplace. I only come through twice a week. But the folks here are good people. May Ledbetter keeps a spare room. She’ll look after you. Up that alley, turn right, first house on the left.
    He scratches his cheek, looks again into the engine compartment, and spits on the ground.
    Meet me back here at eight in the morning and we’ll see how’s we stand.
    ----

    Now we're entering the more freeform part of the adventure. Nevertheless, given that this is still an introductory scenario. I'll be providing little prompts at the bottom of example things your character could attempt so that you can formulate a post in-line with general Call of Cthulhu ideas. In this instance, I have three possibilities.
    1. Head out and look for this May Ledbetter's house
    2. Ask Silas where he's going to stay the night
    3. Challenge Silas about the breakdown

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    hannahbbug3's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    In the Clouds
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Hannahbbug3's Alone Against the Flames IC

    Reuben gets out of the car and glances between Silas and the sizzling engine, not quite sure what to make of either. "Well, sir, rest assured, your guess is as good as mine," he says with another wary look at the steaming automobile. He's not sure he can convince himself, entirely, that it isn't about to explode... but Silas is sticking his head in there, so at least the driver wasn't reckoning that a possibility.

    When it's mentioned, Reuben turns to look towards Emberhead. The place looks quaint enough, and judging by the lights, it's still awake. Better this than the woods, since Reuben knew his odds of making a campsite and roughing it were... well, shoddy at best, to put it bluntly. Even better, Silas is mentioning accommodations, and that's enough to put a 'well it could always be worse' sort of spin on things, isn't it?

    "Will you be joining me at Miss Ledbetter's?" Reuben asks. "It will be easier for us to walk there together. Certainly you won't be spending the night with the car?"
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

    If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

    -Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hannahbbug3's Alone Against the Flames IC

    Quote Originally Posted by hannahbbug3 View Post
    judging by the lights, it's still awake[/COLOR]
    Ehhh... awake would be a very loose term.
    ----

    Silas shakes his head. He gives the engine a sour glance before answering.
    I’ve got acquaintances here in the village. Reckon one of ‘em owes me a favor. Enough for bed and breakfast, in any case.” He stares at his grubby hands. “Probably won’t stretch to a hot bath.
    You don’t seem to have a lot of options. You fetch your cases from the back of the motor coach. The last thing you need is for all your worldly possessions to disappear into some stranger’s hovel overnight.

    You drag your cases between the sullen buildings. You feel surprisingly weary, considering you have spent all day sitting down. Silas’ directions lead you to a modest dwelling with a slate roof. A nameplate reads LEDBETTER, and underneath, a sign in neat copperplate reads, LODGING ROOM. The lane around you is gloomy, but a lamp flickers in the window.
    A breeze chills your face. You’re not about to begin your new life by sleeping in the street. You rap on the weatherbeaten door.

    After a moment, you hear footsteps inside the house. A bolt is drawn back and the wooden door swings open. A figure with loose curls and a rough-looking housedress peers at you. Her gaze takes in your traveling suit and your cases. Her voice has a slight Irish lilt.
    Hello. Should I take it as you’re looking for a room for the night?
    You enquire as to her rates, suppressing a grimace. As far as you’ve seen, the village does not offer you many alternatives.
    Oh, you’ll find them very reasonable,” she says. “You look tired. I’m May. Come inside and we’ll talk over a cup of tea.
    The Ledbetter house feels cramped, with a low ceiling and simple fittings. But it is well kept and a cheerful fire crackles in the grate. The aroma of the tea is soothing and the cup warms your fingers.
    Have you come to Emberhead for the festival?” asks May.
    ----

    Are you going to discuss the whole event with Silas? Or would you like to ask about this festival?

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    hannahbbug3's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    In the Clouds
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Hannahbbug3's Alone Against the Flames IC

    A reasonable rate could be very 'in the eye of the beholder' if this was the only lodging in town, but Reuben decides not to press it too much. Considering the other options, and the fact that this home seemed warm and welcoming with the fire and the tea, he decides not to complain. After sitting down his luggage and accepting the tea in front of the hearth, he feels at home almost at once. There's something entirely disarming about Miss Ledbetter, and it puts Reuben at ease. Especially after such a long and hard day.

    "The festival?" he inquires, brow arching a bit. "No, ma'am. In truth, I'm only meant to be passing through. I'm on my way to Arkham to accept a position at the Miscatonic University, and, if I may be honest, my plans were to pass right through here without stopping. Unfortunately, the coach broke down," he says, then pauses to take another look at his surroundings. "Well, perhaps not so unfortunate as all that. After all, this is already a much more pleasant setting for the night than the back of a car." He gives the woman a polite smile. "In fact, now that I'm not entirely sure how long I'll be stuck here, I may as well learn more about the goings-on, so I might have something to do while I'm here. What is this festival you speak of?"
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

    If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

    -Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hannahbbug3's Alone Against the Flames IC

    Well now, I suppose the Festival is about the only reason folks come to Emberhead. I thought you had maybe come to study it or take photographs. Well, it’s not tomorrow night but the night after. I suppose it looks very strange to a passerby.
    May tops up your tea. The spout chinks against your cup.



    We’ve got the Beacon, you see. One night every year there’s a torch-lit procession and we light the Beacon on the cliffs. You’ve never seen the like of it. They say it keeps the spirit of the village alive for another year. It’s a celebration. A celebration...
    She tails off for a moment, and blinks.
    But you didn’t come here to listen to me blather, and you must be hungry. I can rustle you up a bit of stew. How would that be?
    You ask again about her rates, and May names a price so low you accept it without hesitation. The room is small but comfortable, and the stew dark and hearty. After dinner, you have a couple of hours before your usual bedtime.
    ----

    Would you like to talk to May some more?

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    hannahbbug3's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    In the Clouds
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Hannahbbug3's Alone Against the Flames IC

    "The Beacon... I suppose that's a lighthouse, then?" Reuben asks, but then, quickly dismisses the notion. After all, a lighthouse would have a keeper, and would preferably be lit all year... So just a tower, then? "I'll have to take a look at it before I leave. I don't wish to be delayed too much in my trip, so I don't know that I'll be here two nights from now to see this festival if the car is back up and running in the morning," he explains. He takes another cup of tea with May before stretching a little.

    "Do you mind if I use your telephone, ma'am?" he asks. "At this hour, I don't know that I'll get anyone up at the University, but if I'm going to be delayed, I'd best let them know about it as soon as possible," he says.
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

    If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

    -Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hannahbbug3's Alone Against the Flames IC

    May looks saddened by both portions of your conversation. "I'm afraid I don't have a phone lad, in fact, I don't think anyone in the village has a phone. You know... speaking of the village." May then begins to talk about life in Emberhead. “In her letters my sister always asks if I’m not bored, living in such a small place. She lives in New York. Then she writes about how frightened she is to walk home at night! I ask you.
    You mention your hopes for a new life in Arkham again. May doesn’t seem to hear you.
    It’s a small place here, yes, but that means we have real community. Everybody’s face is known. Everybody works together. Nobody is excluded. Except those who choose to exclude themselves, of course. I couldn’t live anywhere else now.
    ----

    Please give me a Charm (you consider yourself an amateur in this field) roll.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    hannahbbug3's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    In the Clouds
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Hannahbbug3's Alone Against the Flames IC

    "No telephone?" Reuben says, surprised. "My, we really are in the middle of nowhere, aren't we?" he hums, mostly to himself, before offering May a smile. "I apologize, I just thought, in this day and age, everyone had a telephone. Thought the wire companies would have gotten around to that by now," he explains.

    May then continues on, talking about life in her small town and brushing off Reuben's remarks about the city and its opportunities. He clears his throat and does his best not to seem rebuffed.

    Spoiler: Charm Roll
    Show
    [roll]1d100[roll]
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

    If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

    -Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hannahbbug3's Alone Against the Flames IC

    As the hour wears on, May’s upbeat manner descends into something more reflective.
    It’s not always easy. I’m a widow, you know. We have a little money, and of course I appreciate the custom of travelers like yourself. I know we’ll never starve as long as we live here. But I don’t see myself marrying again. I know every man in this village. I know them too well, if you see what I mean.
    Her mouth twists briefly, then she yawns and pushes a hand through her hair.
    Time for me to turn in. When would you like your breakfast?
    You recall that Silas did mention that you'd meet back up at eight in the morning.
    ----

    You've succeeded in a Charm roll. Should you survive this adventure, you shall have the chance to improve this skill later on!

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    hannahbbug3's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    In the Clouds
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Hannahbbug3's Alone Against the Flames IC

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    "Should you survive," you have such confidence in me, lol

    Reuben rises as May does, not wanting to keep the woman up too late. Besides, it will be an early start for him, as well. "Six thirty should give me enough time," he tells her, giving her one more polite nod. "I will see you in the morning, ma'am," he adds before retiring to his room. Before bed, he spends a few moments thumbing through that newspaper he never got the chance to read on the road due to the curves that turned his stomach, but before long, he turns out the light for sleep.
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

    If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

    -Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hannahbbug3's Alone Against the Flames IC

    Quote Originally Posted by hannahbbug3 View Post
    "Should you survive," you have such confidence in me, lol
    I know, I am truly a kind and magnanimous keeper.
    ----

    As both you and May stand, you hear a clunk behind you. You look over your shoulder, but all you can see is a wooden door, securely closed.
    May tuts. “The young lady of the house. She’ll have been listening to us. Ruth! Come and greet our guest.
    There is a short pause, then the door creaks open. Two wide eyes peer at you from the gap, between tousled hair and a rough nightgown.
    What do you say?
    The eyes blink. “Pleased to meet you.
    Now get back to bed.
    The door closes again.
    My daughter Ruth. Ten years this summer. She’s a delight and a torment all in one. Don’t worry, she sleeps in with me. She’ll not disturb you. Good night now.
    You retire to your room. It is a little chilly, but you are too tired to worry about lighting the fire. The sheets are clean and the bed soon warms up. The silence outside is strange after living in a town for so long, but you soon drop off.

    You dream of fire in the grate; coruscating colors shimmering through the dancing tongues of flame. At first they are tiny, almost microscopic, but they grow, and grow, until a kaleidoscopic inferno spills from the fireplace, spreading across the floor, up the sheets…
    You wake with a start. Daylight glints through the curtains. You get up and examine the grate, blinking the sleep from your eyes. It is quite cold. If you have taken any damage, you may heal 1 hit point back for your night’s sleep.
    ----

    Yes, that's right, Long Rests heal 1 hit point. Let's just say that taking damage is of much more consequence in this game than most.
    ----

    May seems to have no running water, but has supplied some in a ceramic jug. You freshen up at the washstand and go in. She cooks a hearty breakfast and leaves you in peace to eat. At about seven-fifteen or so, you are paid up, packed, and ready to go. You bid May goodbye and she wishes you the best for your new career in Arkham.

    You are already tired of your heavy bags. Hopefully, Silas has repaired the motor coach and you can resume your long journey. A sourpuss he might be, but the old driver seemed to understand his vehicle well enough. You pause to check your watch—still twenty minutes early—and round the final corner.
    The motor coach is gone.
    You put your bags down and search the area, trekking up and down slopes and around corners. At the edge of the village, you trace the long road back as it winds across the hills. Eight o’clock comes and goes. There is no coach to be seen.
    A passing villager notices your bags.
    Looking for the bus? I heard him take off at first light. He’s due back in three or four days. If you need a place to stay, May Ledbetter rents a room.” The man raises his hat to you and strolls on into the village.
    You curse Silas under your breath. Perhaps he went for parts. But you wonder if the old goat has stranded you here on purpose.

    May is doing laundry, and looks surprised to see you again. “Forgot something?” When you explain the situation, she offers to store your bags while you try to arrange alternative transport. You are grateful to relinquish the load.
    Nobody here has anything like a car.” She strokes her chin and narrows her eyes. “Maybe you could find somebody with a horse and a cart for your bags. I could ask around later. Try Mr. Winters at the village hall, he’ll know if anyone will. Or ask among the artisans. Their workshops are first left on Silbury Street.” She reaches over and squeezes your wrist. “Don’t worry, I won’t see you sleeping in the street, money or no money.
    You thank May, and turn to face the village.

    You wander the streets of Emberhead without any particular destination in mind. The village is built on a relatively flat upland with splendid views. To the north, the hazy tips of the White Mountains reach for the heavens; to the south, the sparkling waters of Lake Winnipesaukee touch the horizon.
    The village itself takes less than five minutes to cross from edge to edge. However, it is literally edge to edge, as with the exception of the two roads out of town, all that's there is a massive drop-off. You arrived on the winding road to the west. The only other road leaves to the south, following a lower ridge of land as it turns east. In the northernmost part of town, you see the courtyard mentioned by May home to several artisans. Next to that is the town's largest building (which isn't saying too much) - presumably the village hall. Meanwhile, in the southwest of the village, an open grassy space borders a ruined church, its graveyard cresting the cliffs. To the northeast, the three main thoroughfares, with a general store being one of the only real businesses open, meet at a raised black metal structure. It looms, stark against the blue sky.


    ----

    Oh boy, that was long, I hope you got all of that, but basically... where do you want to head now to find transport out of here? Some places of interest that I listed were: The lower ridge of land that heads eastward, the artisan's courtyard, the village hall, the church, the general store, or the raised black metal structure?

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    hannahbbug3's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    In the Clouds
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Hannahbbug3's Alone Against the Flames IC

    "No cars, no telephone..." Reuben huffs under his breath as he walks down the streets, kicking a rock ahead of him for lack of anything better to do. Seeing as he isn't traveling to his new job today, he's dressed down a bit. A simple blue button-up and dark trousers, coupled, as always, with a bowtie. "Can you believe it, Andrew? Well, of course you can... you're from a time before all of that, anyway. Was this what your hometown was like?"

    He speaks to the empty air around him and gives a pregnant pause for a reply. When none comes, Reuben wonders if Andrew, too, is waiting for him in Arkham. All the more reason to try and get there. Quaint as Emberhead seems, he has places to be! A new job that he doesn't want to lose the chance for, and he certainly doesn't want to be late! Maybe he can post a letter, since there seems to be no faster means of communication here...

    This is what he's thinking as he walks by the steepled church, and he pauses to glance in its windows. Well. A church is supposed to help people who are lost, are they not? And a local pastor would certainly know most everyone in town. This seems as good a place as any to try and figure out what to do. Reuben approaches the building and tests the door to see if it's locked.
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

    If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

    -Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hannahbbug3's Alone Against the Flames IC

    You cross the street towards the church. As you glance to your left, your gaze alights on the large metal structure. Something bothers you about its positioning. You back up and look again. Yes! Emberhead’s central thoroughfare points directly at the structure. This seems too precise to be a coincidence.
    You press on and draw into the shadow of the church. You begin to realize that the building is in a sorry state. The top of the steeple is missing, a ragged gash of splintered boards marking its absence, and the floors beneath it have collapsed. It appears to have torn through the roof of the main building as it fell. Only the back half is still intact. The white paint, which once covered the church, has yellowed and peeled.
    It seems safe enough to explore the rear section. Old pews are stacked against the wall, choked with mildew. Most of the windows are broken. You guess this church has been disused for about twenty years. There is little more to interest you.
    ----

    Please give me a Ride (you consider yourself a beginner in this field) roll with a Bonus Die, which means you roll another d10 and can use it in place of the 10's place of your original roll.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    hannahbbug3's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    In the Clouds
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Hannahbbug3's Alone Against the Flames IC

    Spoiler: Ride
    Show
    (1d100)[63] (1d10)[10]
    EDIT: Uh oh. Why couldn't I get this roll on my damage die on my other game!!!?

    Reuben stares in dismay at the state of the church. From all he knew about small towns and close knit communities like these, religion was supposed to be something that banded them together. Seeing the church like this... it caused an unpleasant turn in his stomach. Carefully, he presses inside the building, making sure to check first that the floor is sturdy wherever he steps.
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2019-10-25 at 11:16 AM.
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

    If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

    -Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hannahbbug3's Alone Against the Flames IC

    With the bonus die, that makes your roll a 3, which is surprisingly a Success! This means that you may have the opportunity to improve this skill later on in the adventure!
    ----

    The interior smells of earth and decay. Luckily the floor seems stable enough, although you cannot say that about the cieling of the church. One heavy blow in the right spot could probably bring the whole thing tumbling down. Nevertheless, as you're searching you catch an additional, distinctive whiff about the place: the scent of horses. You search around and in a dark corner find both the remnant of a hoof mark and some dried droppings. This ruined church was used as a stable—and quite recently. Where are the horses now? Nevertheless, there is little else here.

    Emberhead, 9:27 AM, September 2nd, 1921

    You are beginning to get your bearings in Emberhead. Would you like to explore some more?
    ----

    If you would, again some places of interest that I listed were: The lower ridge of land that heads eastward, the artisan's courtyard, the village hall, the church, the general store, or the raised black metal structure?

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    hannahbbug3's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    In the Clouds
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Hannahbbug3's Alone Against the Flames IC

    Departing the church with that disconcerted feeling, Reuben does not yet feel comfortable enough to visit that metal structure - even if everything in the town seems to be directing him towards it. The streets, the buildings, everything seems to lead that way... which only serves to make Reuben more uncomfortable about approaching it. Maybe in a little while. For now, he feels the itching urge to put at least a little bit of distance between himself and this strange town, so he heads towards the eastern ridge.
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

    If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

    -Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •