New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Amanamana Alone Against the Flames IC

I’m afraid I have some errands to run before dark. So I must close the library for today. I do hope you will return tomorrow afternoon if you are so inclined?
    You leave the building with Winters, waiting as he locks up. You thank him for the coffee and the access to the library. He disappears off down an alley. You hope to be away from the village before tomorrow afternoon, but it’s good to know that there is a place you can occupy yourself.

As the light fades, you return to the Ledbetter house and eat a light supper. May is unusually taciturn. Ruth’s eyes flick to yours several times during the meal. There is an urgency there you cannot quite interpret. Afterwards, May ushers the girl into their room.
    You have been in Emberhead for barely one whole day and you already feel confined by it, both geographically and socially. The evening seems to offer little.
    ----

Would you like to maybe go stargazing? Or would you like to try and talk to Ruth?

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

With the bare essentials with him, William waits for an opportunity to talk with the girl, trying to be as quiet as possible.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

May eyes your essentials during the dinner, but in time, she returns to the kitchen and busies herself clearing up. To speak to Ruth, you will need to get May to leave for a short while. You help with the dishes and try to think of some ruse. In time, an idea comes and you ask about Silas and his friends in the village.
    May narrows her eyes. “He knows Troy on the other side of town,” she says. “Not sure I’d call them friends. More like an old feuding couple. But he probably spent last night at Troy’s place.
    You ask May if she could visit Troy and ask if Silas mentioned any plans to return. May looks dubious. “Right now?” she asks.
    ----

Consider how you're going to convince her, are you going to try and appeal to her emotions? Are you going to use rationalism and explain how a further delay threatens your career; or are you trying to rush her into compliance? Consider that when you make your IC post and make a roll at the bottom of it.

4. - Top - End - #64

HalflingRangerGuy

William feels that he'll have a better chance of appealing to May's emotions, but the point to be made must be a clear one. He talks about how his career and new life are at risk by the delay, but focus on the emotional impacts of that.

"It's my chance for a new beginning. My chance to make my mother proud. I was at a dead end in my hometown... I must reach Arkham as soon as possible. Please, miss May. You've been so kind to me since the beginning. I know you don't owe me anything, but you're my only hope to get my life back on track." - William actually speaks the truth here. He still believes, or wishes to believe, things can be solved in a sane and normal way. But his instincts say there's something very wrong going on here.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    (1d100)[57]
    Last edited by amanamana; 2019-11-19 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Typing on my damn phone

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Appealing to one's emotions utilizes Charm (you consider yourself a neophyte in this field), but your roll is sadly a Failure.
    ----

May frowns and shakes her head, looking saddened by your statement, but tired all the same. “Don't you worry. I’ll be happy to go see him in the morning. I must see to Ruth for now. She’s been a terrible handful today.” Her bedroom door closes with a heavy clunk.

The familiar surroundings of your guest room are becoming constrictive. The neat bed, small wardrobe, and dressing mirror have the feel of a prison cell about them. What are you still doing here in Emberhead? Your new life is elsewhere.
    You lie on the bed and stare at a small crack in the ceiling. You turn over the day’s events, thinking through the little details you spotted. You are certainly weary from the elevation and the fresh air. But do you still feel safe enough here to rest?
    ----

Would you let yourself fall asleep? Or would you rather stay awake?

6. - Top - End - #66

HalflingRangerGuy

As soon as he gets into the bedroom, with the lights out, William takes a peek at the street and the front door through the window. He then opens the room's door very slowly, trying to be as silent as possible, and tries to hear if there's any sound in the house. If everything is quiet, he'll try to eavesdrop on May and Ruth, to know if they are talking about his situation. If he hears anything weird, he'll see what to do. But his mind is turning to the idea of leaving the house and play by ear.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Please give me a Stealth (you consider yourself an amateur in this field) roll.

8. - Top - End - #68

HalflingRangerGuy

Show
    Stealth roll: (1d100)[99]

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm afraid that's a Fumble. Whenever you roll a 96-100 on a skill you're an amateur or worse in (or an 100 if you're a professional or higher) then something bad happens.
    ----

As you open the door it whines with one of the worst CREAK's that you've ever heard. Immediately, the door to Ruth and May's room opens and you see May standing in the doorway in her nightdress. "What's wrong? Did you need something?"

10. - Top - End - #70

HalflingRangerGuy

"Uh... I thought I heard something outside..." - He looks confused, but quickly scans the view to the bedroom for Ruth as he tries not to fumble for words. - "I'm afraid my concerns about my tribulations are getting the best of me."

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

William notices a figure asleep on the bed. Meanwhile, May looks confused, "Ah, don't you worry. It was just the wind, I'm sure. Good night, now." She then heads off back to bed.

12. - Top - End - #72

HalflingRangerGuy

William goes back to his room, but stays awake for a while more. He wrestles with his choices of leaving in the middle of the night, heeding the girl's warning, or staying in town waiting for a transport as a reasonable person would.

If there is no interruption while he's still awake, eventually he decides to sleep, leaving a chair leaning on the door. Maybe he can leave town in the morning if there seems to be something too messed up.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You awaken to the sound of feet in the street outside. Your night’s rest has brought a new determination. Today, you will meet Emberhead on your own terms.

The Ledbetter kitchen is empty, although bread and eggs have been laid out for your breakfast. There is a note from May explaining that she has taken Ruth out for a few hours.

You make a quiet circuit of the village, pausing in unobtrusive places to watch the villagers. It is rather busy for this time in the morning. Yawning locals stream back and forward along the roads, carrying bundles of split logs to the site of what you’ve heard referred to as the Beacon. You see two figures already up in its superstructure, arranging the wood. The Festival bonfire will be most impressive. But do you intend to stay to see it? You suspect by now that something is amiss here.
    While the villagers are distracted, you may do some illicit investigation. Or you may simply leave town without looking back.
    ----

You may now: Search May's bedroom, go alone to the village hall, take a closer look at the artisan's courtyard, spy on activity at the Beacon, or slip down the East road and flee for good. What do you think?

14. - Top - End - #74

HalflingRangerGuy

Still divided between his curiosity and his survival instinct, he checks if he has the bare essentials to hit the road, but looks around at this weird little community and can't help but feel that maybe he could learn a bit more before trying to sneak out.

The Beacon is still the most obvious mistery and the one that apparently made his approach most noticeable to the locals. But there are too many people going back and forth from it and he'll likely get into serious trouble if he's seen snooping around.

Searching May's house still feels weird to him, even though he may be in dire straits. His mother would be appalled to hear about him searching a woman's house. Worse still, a place where he's a guest.

The artisan's courtyard has a big chance of having more people around and he wouldn't be able to know where to start looking for something.

The village hall, on the other hand, he had the opportunity to know better and could probably search in a more efficient manner, leaving some time to hit the road before something bad happened. The place was supposedly empty at this time also. If that was true, it would be the safest option. If that was just a ruse, he would be in a place that certainly had something to show. With that in mind, he tries to get there in a most inconspicuous manner, watching his back as he goes.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Keeping away from the streets, you skirt the northern cliffs and approach the village hall from the rear. It is close to the Beacon and you will not be able to use the door unobserved. You check the windows. The one on the east side, facing the Beacon, is bricked up.
    A shutter is loose on the westernmost window and you are able to ease it open and slide inside, closing the shutter behind you. You drop into the village meeting room and pad through, passing through dim shafts of light and listening to the excited chatter of the locals from outside. The door opposite reads PRIVATE. Hearing nothing from the other side, you turn the handle.

The room is lined with books. In the corner is a small water closet and pantry. A quick survey of the rest of the room reveals little, so you turn to the bookcase. The dim light makes it difficult to read the spines. Is there anything useful here?
    ----

Please give me a Spot Hidden (you consider yourself an amateur in this field) roll.

16. - Top - End - #76

HalflingRangerGuy

He searches around, but he's also wary of trouble. As he looks about, he is mindful of the area under the windows, where he saw some unusual signs before.

Show
    Spot Hidden roll:

(1d100)[42]

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You’re looking along the spines when you notice how close the bookcase is to the window on the north wall. From outside, there is a solid three or four feet between the edge of the window and the wall. And the bookcase covers the wall with the bricked-up window.
    Further examination reveals an ingenious arrangement of slipcases physically attached to the shelves. When you pull to the left, an entire section of the bookcase swings out.
    The clatter of activity around the Beacon seems to be building, and you flinch at every conversation that gets too close to the building’s door.
    ----

Would you like to investigate behind the bookcase or get out while you can?

18. - Top - End - #78

HalflingRangerGuy

Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zingbobco000 View Post
    Would you like to investigate behind the bookcase or get out while you can?
    Not ominous at all...
    I know he should get the hell out of Dodge, but what would the fun in that be?

William's heart starts pounding in his chest. If that's not enough clue that something is wrong and that he shoud get away as soon as possible, nothing would be enough. But what is happening here? What is this place?

Hating himself for letting his curiosity get the best of him, he starts investigating, keeping an eye on the door and in possible hiding places and escape routes.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You squint into the darkness behind the bookcase. It is a small alcove, big enough for one person, and has a hidden shelf on either side. You cannot make out any titles in this light.
    ----

Would you like to risk ooening the cliffside windows? Or would you rather just grab some books, and get the heck out of there?

20. - Top - End - #80

HalflingRangerGuy

William reaches for the matches he took from May's kitchen and retrieves them from his pockets. Holding one of them, with the other hand cupped to protect it from random wind gusts, he ignites its head and tries to illuminate the books, hoping to get a glimpse of their covers or spine.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Please give me a Luck roll.

22. - Top - End - #82

HalflingRangerGuy

Show
    Being lucky in rolls is not what I do, but let's see how the Luck rolls: (1d100)[49]

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Enough light spills into the room from your matches in order for you to make out titles. The contents of the alcove are quite different from the wider library; the books are much older, some are handwritten, and many are in strange scripts you do not recognize. You could spend a week in here just browsing through the bizarre volumes.
    ----

Please give me a Library Use (you consider yourself a professional in this field) roll.

24. - Top - End - #84

HalflingRangerGuy

Show
    Library use: (1d100)[86]

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

That's sadly a Failure...
    ----

You are drawn to a small book of strange poetry bound in black, published in Boston in 1919. The cover reads Azathoth and Others, by Edward Derby. Unlike most of the other books, you can pocket the Derby book if you want.
    ----

You may Push the Library Use roll if you so wish by rolling again, but if you do and you fail something very bad will happen. Alternatively, you can not risk it and just depart.

26. - Top - End - #86

HalflingRangerGuy

Show
    Didn't remember this Push mechanic. It must be from the newer editions. I think I'll do it, just for the hell of it.

Library Use: (1d100)[29]

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Indeed. It was introduced in the 7th edition of CoC.
    ----

Most of the texts are too obscure for you to understand without an extended residency in a good library. You are drawn to a volume in a heavy slipcase, embossed with a dark red triangle. Its pages are in a spidery script, but the hand is neat enough that you can read it with effort.
    It seems to be one of a set of seven discussing elements: here sulfur, mercury, and salt are added to the four classical elements. This book concerns fire. Flicking through the pages, you see astronomical diagrams, alchemical symbols, references to Dante, and speculations on the nature of damnation.
    Towards the end there is a discussion of fire ceremonies, and a transcription of two key rituals: Call Ye Celestial Flames and Command Ye Celestial Flames. You might be able to memorize one, but it will take time. Is this all nonsense, or is it worth risking discovery for?
    ----

First off, you've succeeded in a skill so you may be able to improve that later on should you survive. Regardless, would you like to memorize one of these strange rituals, or do you think you've pushed your luck enough as is and you'd like to depart (presumably you could pocket the Derby book)?

28. - Top - End - #88

HalflingRangerGuy

William's heart pounds heavier at this discovery. It's clear that there's some connection here between this books and the Beacon. The bonfire, the privileged position in the skyline... The chlid's drawing.

But he has been pushing his luck already.

The young man grabs anything he may be able to carry and tries to sneak out of the building. Before leaving, he tries to memorize any passage that brought his attention, repeating it in his mind and looking for mnemonic associations. If he could sneak out of town, he would eventually be able to read the handier book. But he would have to be safe to do it.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You feel a deepening unease about Emberhead and this day in particular.
    ----

Would you like to: Search May's room, go alone to the village hall, take a closer look at the artisan's courtyard, spy on activity at the Beacon, or slip down the eastern road and flee for good?

30. - Top - End - #90

HalflingRangerGuy

William sneaks out of the building, but then stays put and tries to gauge the commotion around town before making his mind about a next step.

He also looks for escape routes for the East road that could make him get near one or more of the other interest points.