The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default FFd20: Legend of Dissidia

Despite the thread prefix being 'recruiting', I am not recruiting just yet. I'm not sure how much interest an FFd20 game will get here, so this is the way I intend to gauge if there is interest. If it looks like there are enough people that pipe up and say they are interested, then I will get an actual recruitment up.

Now that the big caveat is out of the way, let's discuss what's on the table here: I want to run an FFd20 game. But not just any FFd20 game... an FFd20 game where players can use just about anything from the SRD. In most of the games that I have played of FFd20, that was impossible because the GM used their favorite Final Fantasy world as the template for their game. That not only cut out certain races, but also entire classes, and I find that to be a tragedy considering all of the wonderful options out there. After diving back into Dissidia NT to check out Tifa Lockheart and Gabranth, I hit upon an idea: what if I created a game set in World B, the world that the Dissidia games are set in? It has a pre-existing map based on the map of World A (FF I's world), it's a patchwork from all the Final Fantasy worlds and could therefore easily justify any races or classes, and it has enough unique elements to allow it to stand alone. So I decided to timeshift the world a thousand years into the future and extrapolate how things would work out in that time period. I ended up with, I think, a pretty awesome composite world that could serve as a perfectly acceptable setting for the game that I want to run.

Core Design: Rules and Features

- Literally every race and class from the official site will be allowed. This was one of the core principles I had going into designing after all.

- The starting level would be 7. It will give people a nice power-level, but still allow for a lengthy game where characters have room to grow. The Sub Job system will be used, so you basically get a micro-gestalt character.

- Hero Points will be used.

- You have the option of using traditional Limit Breaks or the Revengeance Limit Break variant.

- Characters will have the increased 1st-level HP from the Static Hit Points rule. That means, depending on your starting class, your first level will give you 15-30 HP before figuring in your CON. Normally CON does not apply to that first level, but it does in this game. I plan on combat actually being challenging when it occurs and it's nice to have a buffer where PCs have a little more survivability.

- Every character has an extra MP bonus equal to their casting stat bonus times their level. In the case of magicless classes, this is their highest mental score. This MP can be used for both class abilities and spells, as well as spells cast from materia.

- Materia will be available for purchase by characters. Slots for junctioning materia will be scarce so as not to invalidate gish or pure dual-caster builds, but they will be available nonetheless. Materia use MP just like the spells they are based on so, so a Firaga spell cast from materia would still use 5 MP. Because each character has an innate MP score, this means that every character can cast spells in a limited fashion. Feats and class features that reduce MP usage do not affect spells granted by materia, although certain powerful items may.

Core Design: Lore and Setting

- World B, the official Square-Enix name for the Dissidia world, is simply called Dissidia in the setting. It's a roughly-spherical world circled by two moons and placed in the middle of the Rift itself.

- The two major gods of the setting are Materia, the goddess of order and technology who first invented the items of her namesake, and Spiritus, the god of chaos and magic. There is an aloof third deity above those two known as the Great Will who is content with watching the wheels of the cosmos turn. Below all of them are the Espers, the god-like creatures that send avatars of themselves to fight alongside Summoners.

- The Devil figure of the setting's mythology is none none other than Shinryu the Plane-Eater, a dragon from beyond the Rift that feasts on the Lifestream within worlds. Shinryu was defeated a millennium ago in the setting, but never truly died. It has spent the last thousand years recuperating from the wounds dealt to it by the Great Heroes.

- The Great Heroes are the demigod-like figures of the past that were summoned to prevent the world's demise. After defeating Shinryu, the Great Will bestowed crystals upon the champions. These crystals created imperfect clones of each before sending the heroes back through the Rift to the worlds they were summoned from. The clones inherited their titles and founded the many nations of the world as new life began to flow into Dissidia. These simulacra are still alive today and serve as the champions of the gods. Due to their nature as imperfect clones of the original heroes, they have diverged in both personality and appearance to varying degrees. Some have even switched sides in the battle between Materia and Spiritus.

- Despite Shinryu being defeated, the world is not free of conflict. Mortals wage war on one another from time-to-time, tyrants rise and fall, monsters exist in the wilds, and Materia and Spiritus both wage a cold war for the fate of the world. In a way, it's not much different from any other Final Fantasy world.

- There are seven great crystals whose energies were used to stabilize the crumbling world of Dissidia: the Fire Crystal, the Water Crystal, the Wind Crystal, the Earth Crystal, the Light Crystal, the Shadow Crystal, and the Mother Crystal, which is said to exist deep within the world itself. They are all essential to the world's continued existence and the destruction of even one, a task beyond mortal magic, could cause untold calamity or even the destruction of Dissidia itself.

- There are ruins that predate even the gods of the setting that dot the world. These places are highly dangerous and, from the one that has been completely explored, it has been gleaned that an ancient race known as the Lufenians once inhabited the world and that their culture incorporated magic and technology so advanced that even the scraps left confound modern sages.

- Despite the cold war between the two gods on each side of the world, people from each side are allowed to fraternize with the other. The conflict with Shinryu taught Materia and Spiritus that there is value in cooperation and, even though they despise each other, they allow their people to freely cooperate and mingle as they please even as they look for ways to gain the upper hand over the other.

- A set of railroads run through the lands controlled by Materia and allow for convenient transportation. The lands controlled by Spiritus have sets of archways containing linked magical portals that require certain "keys" to use.

- The lands controlled by Materia's champions tend to value the collective more and place value on the social order and unity. Those controlled by Spiritus tend to value the individual more and place greater emphasis on ambition and competition. Both have their own utopias and dystopias, but the majority of nations in each are much more mild and only contain slight hints of their influence.

- There is a Golden Saucer. I mean really, how could there not be?
    Last edited by Eternal Dharma; 2019-10-22 at 10:01 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: FFd20: Legend of Dissidia

This would be neat! I've only ever had a chance to fiddle with FFd20 once, in a solo game, which doesn't exactly expose one to a wide variety of builds... might want to reprise the Vampire I used for that (necromancers get Raise at 7th level!) or try something new.

What kind of roleplaying style would you be looking for? I've had at least one final fantasy game kind of implode because we each had very different ideas of what kind of story would be appropriate to tell, which is... not an experience that would be pleasant to repeat.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Foryn Gilnith View Post
    This would be neat! I've only ever had a chance to fiddle with FFd20 once, in a solo game, which doesn't exactly expose one to a wide variety of builds... might want to reprise the Vampire I used for that (necromancers get Raise at 7th level!) or try something new.

What kind of roleplaying style would you be looking for? I've had at least one final fantasy game kind of implode because we each had very different ideas of what kind of story would be appropriate to tell, which is... not an experience that would be pleasant to repeat.
    I like players who can appreciate both roleplaying and combat, because I like a decent amount of both in every game that I run. This game isn't for the World of Darkness players who want to scheme, backstab, and have the game basically be a visual novel, nor is it for people who want to build HyperN00bSlayerXXX "IT'S OVER 9,000!!!" PCs that are combat machines and not much else.

Because I don't know what the player base is like here with FFd20, I had two ideas for a game. My original idea was for something more conventionally Final Fantasy in nature, with a world-sweeping plot, an over-the-top villain with a plan, and everything needed for both of them to have weight. The stakes would ramp up to be pretty high here, high enough where even the gods and Great Heroes don't stand a chance alone. My second idea, which I came up with later on, is just to make the world a sandbox, has the PCs be a part of an adventurer's guild of some kind and let them dictate where things go. The stakes of this game would be fairly small and would be more like Crystal Chronicles in that respect.
    Last edited by Eternal Dharma; 2019-10-22 at 10:26 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Hm.

go for some kind of Gambler/Astrologian, Time Mage/something else, Illusionist/something else, or maybe Dark Knight/something? so much I concepts I'm interested in using....interested.
    My Fan Fiction:
    To Catch A Mew
    A Kalos based pokemon fan fic. Now up to Chapter 24!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

I love Final Fantasy and have wanted to try FFd20 for a long while! I'd make a Holy Knight, Gunbreaker or Samurai of some kind, perhaps; depends on what kind of campaign you'd like to run or what kind of characters you'd like to us make.
    Last edited by Merilan; 2019-10-22 at 10:24 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

If people keep expressing interest at this rate, a game will be assured! I was actually worried that people wouldn't know the system, but it looks like I was mistaken.

Does anyone have a preference for whether they want a traditional "save-the-world" game or something more like an adventurer's guild? I have setups for both.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Dharma View Post
    If people keep expressing interest at this rate, a game will be assured! I was actually worried that people wouldn't know the system, but it looks like I was mistaken.

Does anyone have a preference for whether they want a traditional "save-the-world" game or something more like an adventurer's guild? I have setups for both.
    I always love saving the world, not much of a sandbox or adventurers guild person though, I probably wouldn't know where to go or what to do.
    My Fan Fiction:
    To Catch A Mew
    A Kalos based pokemon fan fic. Now up to Chapter 24!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

I'm personally up for a saving the world narrative too! I can go with a guild too if that's what people prefer though.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

This is the first time I have heard of FFd20 and I am now super excited to try it out!
    I need to actually read the SRD and maybe make a couple characters first, but please count me in!
    Thankfully, I am starting to work out a schedule where I can handle all the games I'm in/applying for, so I have the time to invest in this and I really wanna!
    Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2019-10-22 at 11:12 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

So far it's looking like people want a more classic Final Fantasy game. I will admit that I have a slight preference for that as well, I just included both options because I don't know what the FFd20 fanbase is like here and, at the end of the day, I can enjoy either.

Quote Originally Posted by MinotaurWarblad View Post
    This is the first time I have heard of FFd20 and I am now super excited to try it out!
    I need to actually read the SRD and maybe make a couple characters first, but please count me in!
    Thankfully, I am starting to work out a schedule where I can handle all the games I'm in/applying for, so I have the time to invest in this and I really wanna!
    Glad I could help you get into the FFd20 system! I think I've noticed you on a few Pathfinder threads on here and, if so, I'll just go ahead and tell you that FFd20 is basically a more balanced version of Pathfinder tailored to the Final Fantasy universe. Just approach it like you would Pathfinder, know the differences between the systems (MP-based non-Vancian magic for instance), and you should be golden.

11. - Top - End - #11

Chimera

So far it's looking like people want a more classic Final Fantasy game. I will admit that I have a slight preference for that as well, I just included both options because I don't know what the FFd20 fanbase is like here and, at the end of the day, I can enjoy either.
    Glad I could help you get into the FFd20 system! I think I've noticed you on a few Pathfinder threads on here and, if so, I'll just go ahead and tell you that FFd20 is basically a more balanced version of Pathfinder tailored to the Final Fantasy universe. Just approach it like you would Pathfinder, know the differences between the systems (MP-based non-Vancian magic for instance), and you should be golden.
    I personally feel like a Save-the-World approach is the best way to tie the team together and get them out of their humble beginnings, but I think the world should be successful saved approximately 3/4 of the way through the campaign, after which our characters should have figured out a group dynamic and can decide what they ruins they want to go explore together.
    This also gives a good opportunity to showcase various higher-level sites (without worrying about PCs running off the plot railroad to go deeper) as the PCs race against time to fulfill their objectives; that way, once the world is saved they can think back on and say, "hey, do you remember such'n'such location and this other location, where we couldn't stop and explore before? What if we went to one of those places?"

I am liking it so far! Since I am such a fanatic over FF job systems, I can't decide what I wanna do! Lol I will probably create a multiclass character...
    Question! Point buy or rolled stats?

Edit: If I were to build a Freelancer, it looks like that locks me out of gaining a subJob... It also states that going with another class will end up with a higher JP equivalency even without considering a subJob. Will I be mechanically inferior if I stick with the Freelancer? I want to play one anyway, but I want to know if I need to be careful with my JP or spend them with reckless abandon.
    Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2019-10-23 at 01:10 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I'd be interested in a FFd20 game. A "save the world" plot sounds like fun, too. As far as character builds go, I'm thinking of a combination of a Time Mage (probably the Speedster Archetype) and Thief.
    Last edited by RdMarquis; 2019-10-23 at 02:38 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MinotaurWarblad View Post
    I personally feel like a Save-the-World approach is the best way to tie the team together and get them out of their humble beginnings, but I think the world should be successful saved approximately 3/4 of the way through the campaign, after which our characters should have figured out a group dynamic and can decide what they ruins they want to go explore together.
    This also gives a good opportunity to showcase various higher-level sites (without worrying about PCs running off the plot railroad to go deeper) as the PCs race against time to fulfill their objectives; that way, once the world is saved they can think back on and say, "hey, do you remember such'n'such location and this other location, where we couldn't stop and explore before? What if we went to one of those places?"

I am liking it so far! Since I am such a fanatic over FF job systems, I can't decide what I wanna do! Lol I will probably create a multiclass character...
    Question! Point buy or rolled stats?

Edit: If I were to build a Freelancer, it looks like that locks me out of gaining a subJob... It also states that going with another class will end up with a higher JP equivalency even without considering a subJob. Will I be mechanically inferior if I stick with the Freelancer? I want to play one anyway, but I want to know if I need to be careful with my JP or spend them with reckless abandon.
    I'll be using point buy.

Freelancer's restrictions have been one of my few quibbles with the system. Since you can't take a Sub Job and those are in effect for this game, I would argue that you get another 15 Job Points at first level and an extra 5 per level thereafter. That should help preserve the Freelancer's relative power level in relation to the other classes. You'll still be weaker than the other characters, but that's to be expected given what the class was designed to do.

14. - Top - End - #14

Kinda interested cause I love Dissidia and Final Fantasy, but I have a bit of reading to do. I'm game if you don't mind a noob. What is the most important stuff to read first? Also I'mm for the grand plot.
    Last edited by YuweaCurtis; 2019-10-23 at 07:47 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Chimera

I'll be using point buy.

Freelancer's restrictions have been one of my few quibbles with the system. Since you can't take a Sub Job and those are in effect for this game, I would argue that you get another 15 Job Points at first level and an extra 5 per level thereafter. That should help preserve the Freelancer's relative power level in relation to the other classes. You'll still be weaker than the other characters, but that's to be expected given what the class was designed to do.
    Oki doki! Then I will be wanton with the normal JP and careful with the extra points you have bestowed.
    Point buy 15, 20, or 25?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by YuweaCurtis View Post
    Kinda interested cause I love Dissidia and Final Fantasy, but I have a bit of reading to do. I'm game if you don't mind a noob. What is the most important stuff to read first? Also I'mm for the grand plot.
    I am fine with a new player.

That depends on whether or not you know Pathfinder. Given that I have seen your Starfinder post here on the recruitment forums, I am going to assume that you have some history with Pathfinder as well. If that's the case, then just start looking into how MP and magic work, the character races, and how limit breaks work. If I have erred in my assumption that you are familiar with Pathfinder, then just let me know and I can give you a more tailored response.

Quote Originally Posted by MinotaurWarblad
    Oki doki! Then I will be wanton with the normal JP and careful with the extra points you have bestowed.
    Point buy 15, 20, or 25?
    Since this game will use Sub Jobs, which are basically gestalt-lite, I'll say 30 due to some classes being M.A.D. (Mutual Ability Dependent).
    Last edited by Eternal Dharma; 2019-10-23 at 02:39 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

Love final fantasy. Want in on this. So much. Just tell me when. I have been thinking for days about a final fantasy game.

Is the freelancer allowed? Not sure I want to use it but would like to know before I look into it... Edit: Realized this is a dumb question given the original post. My bad.
    Last edited by gac3; 2019-10-23 at 02:54 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

I'm familiar mechanically, I haven't actually played Pathfinder yet. Alright, I'm thinking something swordy or something along the line of Engineer more than likely. This looks cool, really hope I get to play.
    ~Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the Illya Avatar!~

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

I'm similarly not very versed in Pathfinder and haven't played FFd20 at all (only looked at it! There were some games that never started here on GitP), but I hope to be able to make something okay.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

So, I've been eyeing this, and I'm not sure what to make of my idea. See, I've always loved Blue Mage, but it is a class that is so very subjective to the game itself. I'm not asking to run into every super boss from across the multiverse and void between, but I am asking if you'd prefer I didn't play such a class.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd definitely be up for this, I've wanted to play FFd20 for a while.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gac3 View Post
    Love final fantasy. Want in on this. So much. Just tell me when. I have been thinking for days about a final fantasy game.

Is the freelancer allowed? Not sure I want to use it but would like to know before I look into it... Edit: Realized this is a dumb question given the original post. My bad.
    No harm, no foul.

Quote Originally Posted by YuweaCurtis
    I'm familiar mechanically, I haven't actually played Pathfinder yet. Alright, I'm thinking something swordy or something along the line of Engineer more than likely. This looks cool, really hope I get to play.
    You will be able to grasp the basics then since you are familiar with Pathfinder. It's functionally identical in most respects. Limit Breaks and the MP magic system are the only big differences.

Quote Originally Posted by Merilan
    I'm similarly not very versed in Pathfinder and haven't played FFd20 at all (only looked at it! There were some games that never started here on GitP), but I hope to be able to make something okay.
    Have you ever played in a D&D 3.5 or d20 Modern game? Because those are the precursors to Pathfinder and this version of FFd20 is more or less designed with Pathfinder's mechanical framework in mind. If not, I'm willing to help you learn how it all works, even if I may not be the best at teaching someone from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by Buufreak
    So, I've been eyeing this, and I'm not sure what to make of my idea. See, I've always loved Blue Mage, but it is a class that is so very subjective to the game itself. I'm not asking to run into every super boss from across the multiverse and void between, but I am asking if you'd prefer I didn't play such a class.
    If anyone who is playing a Blue Mage gets selected during recruitment, I will provide them with ample opportunities to learn Blue Magic. Assume that you know Blue Mage spell that you can currently cast at the time of character creation.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, I've done a little 3.5 and made some Pathfinder sheets (but haven't gone too far); I understand the basic mechanics, but as far as being "good" at the combat I'd say I'm not as experienced or knowledgeable! I'm sure it will be okay, though?

Also, is there some kind of prompt you'd like us to start off off if we're working with a save-the-world kind of story? I was looking at FF4 again and started thinking about a redemption-style background, possibly with a job change like Cecil's.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

After a cursory review of what the system has, I'd probably want to roll up a classic robe-wearing white mage? Either as the main job, or as the subjob for something like Ninja, or maybe even as a freelancer... the presentation would be the same, though. Race and personality contingent on what the rest of the field looks like, ofc, but I feel like healers should be chipper.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground

I've been trying to think of a good subclass for Dark Knight. No real ideas. Have considered trying to go straight Scholar. Yay Tellah.

26. - Top - End - #26

So what exactly are Royal Arms classified as? I see no prices. I'd assume they are at least Minor Artifacts but they aren't in that section. Hmm wonder if sub classing Summoner is worth it... I'm I right to assuming the Master Caller's Call ability replaces all iterations of Summon Monster? Maybe I missed it, but what's the deadline.
    Last edited by YuweaCurtis; 2019-10-24 at 01:24 PM.
    ~Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the Illya Avatar!~

27. - Top - End - #27

Chimera

What would be the gil we have starting out with?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

I am not familiar with the system, but am a fan of FF, and am interested. Save the world looks like the consensus, and sounds good to me. I am of the opinion that it should Start smaller scale, and only discover the greater threat once we get to disk 2.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Interested fosho

30. - Top - End - #30

Sorry to post again so soon, but I've got more questions.

Since we can use MP for Materia, does the other casting rules for it apply?
    You mentioned slots for Materia would be scarce. This implies you ate handling them different, so howso?
    Is Leadership allowed? If so I'm assuming cohorts dont get a sub class, am I correct?
    Last edited by YuweaCurtis; 2019-10-25 at 08:55 AM.